“Lived up to high expectations!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Marthon
Chateau de la Couronne
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Marthon
Boston, Massachusetts
“Lived up to high expectations!”
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Great place for an extended family get together! We were four brothers, plus spouses and kids, 18 total. Plenty of room for everyone--people could choose to be w/ others or quietly alone--and the pool worked really well (althought watch out for lots of wasps!).
That said, Mary's cooking was the highlight of the trip. It just made the whole time so relaxing to be so well taken care off.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Roscommon1923

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 4 September 2012

we are just back from a week at CdelaC - we hired the whole place with a bunch of uni mates and our bambinos. it's absolutely beautiful, and nicky and mark couldn't be more welcoming and accommodating. we had a load of children with us (aged from 4 months to nearly 4 years) and they were delighted with plenty of room to run around, a lovely very safe pool and huge beautiful gardens with a swing etc. Mary cooked for us several nights and I would highly recommend asking her to cook for you as much as possible - she is lovely and did an amazing job, and it's heaven not having to do the clearing up. there are lovely buggy-friendly walks nearby and nice places to visit within a 20min drive. a really lovely option for a week away - highly recommended!

Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank EWLJ
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2012

This is hands down the most beautiful place I have ever had the pleasure of staying at!!

My husband and I saw the chateau on Mr and Mrs Smith and instantly fell in love, we didn't even bother looking at other venues as we knew this was the one.
We wanted an intimate affair with a small number of guests and this fitted the bill perfectly! We stayed for 3 nights and were able to do a mixture of self catering and catered which was great for us as it meant we could all relax and do our own thing.
From the initial enquiries to our several visits leading up to the wedding day Nicky and Mark were absolutely amazing! Nicky is a fantastic wedding planner and there was no point at all where I felt worried or anxious - even on the W day itself!
The chateau is beautifully decorated and every room has the WOW factor, I was so pleased we could share this piece of heaven with our guests!
The catering and flowers were orchestrated perfectly by Nicky too - the food was to die for, Nadia and her team are incredible!

If you are looking for a holiday or hiring the chateau for a special event I couldn't recommend La Couronne more.. I'm desperate to go back and will hopefully see Nicky and Mark one day soon!
This was the best day of our lives and I can honestly say I wouldn't change a thing!
Love loved it!!!!!!

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Rebecca P
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We have literally just returned from attending a wedding at La Couronne, and I simply could not wait to share my thoughts with you fellow TripAdvisors.

We arrived at LC alot earlier than planned and was concerned that we'd have to 'find something to do' until check-in time but no, we were welcome with open arms by Mark and Nicky.

Firstly, I'd like to express how wonderful, warm, welcoming and fabulous both Mark and Nicky are - they are both a delight to be around and so very helpful. Both lovely people, who are willing to have a chat about the Hotel, the area, local restaurants, shops, things to do and they'll also pay an interest in their guests, they really are a breath of fresh air.

From the second of walking into LC, both my husband and I were amazed. It is simply stunning. The building itself appears traditional-oldy-worldy-ISH BUT everything has such a modern, clean and fresh look to it. As you wonder around, you'll notice bits of furniture and odd 'decorations' that just make all the difference.. the decor has really well thought about and it has a wonderful charm to it all.

Our room was just divine... I think it housed the largest bed I've ever seen! Which was amazingly comfortable.. Everything had been catered for within our room, eg, towels for use in the bathroom, towels for use by the pool, hairdryer, fan, raditor, shampoo, hand wash and soap (all set out beautifully, not in mini plastic containers), cotton buds and make up pads, washing flannels and two chunky towelling robes... the only thing missing was tea & coffee making faciltiies... but if I'm totally honest, it wasn't missed.

Our bedroom/bathroom and everywhere we went in LC was spotless... even by the pool and the grounds were all clean and extremely tidy.

Due to the 'style of wedding, we spent a couple of days looking after ourselves, preparing breakfast, lunch and tea ourselves, and the Kitchen had simply everything you needed...the guest fridge was huge and suitable for enough food (and drinks) for 17 of us.

The wedding meal was catered and this was gorgeous. For starter there was a choice of duck salad or vegetable tart and both were delightful and very tasty. Main course was a choice of chicken or beef, again both were amazing and the portions were perfect and were served with lashings of vegetables. Desert was a chocolate pudding which was warm, gooey and crunchy at the same time or a lemon tart (which I didnt try but was told it was "heavenly").

On our last morning, breakfast had also been catered for and I'm not sure that I've ever seen such an array of mouth-watering pastries, fruits, cheeses, cold meats and breads. From what I was told, all the food is local produce and we really could not get enough of it! We even took some as a trip-picnic!!!

There is a bar within the 'lounge' area, it is an 'honesty' bar at certain times and 'Mike' the barman is there to serve at other times. We loved the 'honesty' bar theme and felt it to be very trusting and comfortable. There is no pressure to 'pay up', its all very laid back.

We were lucky with the weather and the sun was blazing, so we were able to take full advantage of the pool and grounds.. but even if you are not so lucky with the weather, La Couronne is literally in the middle of so many places that you can visit for shopping, walks, lunch/tea, etc. If you want any advice or recommendations both Mark and Nicky are always available to help.

My husband did some investigating into the cost of La Couronne and from what I'm led to believe it isnt particular 'cheap' but you pay for exteme beauty, quality and amazing customer service!

We are hoping to go back and already 'sold' the idea to family and friends asap!!

Room Tip: All the rooms appear to have their own style, some have a mini-bar/tea & coffee and some don'...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank SCSNAX
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2012

In June we hired the Chateau for 3 nights for our wedding and I can only say it was out of this world. The organisation from Nicky and Mark (the owners) was first class, the food was mouth watering and the chateau itself was breath taking. Honestly we felt at home here and we will remember this experience for the rest of our lives. I have stayed in a number of places around the world and have never experienced the detail to attention and such top end quality like this!

We hired the venue for 3 nights, chilled day 1, wedding day 2 and then BBQ day 3.... If we had the choice we would do it all again, an unreal experience..........Thanks to Nicky & Mark

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank cireland187069
nottingham, UK
Reviewed 6 November 2010

We went to the chateau to see if it was a possible venue for our civil partnership. Wow ! it was everything we had hoped for. From arrival, Mark and Nicky were charming, making us feel so relaxed and welcome in their beautiful chateau. We stayed in Suite one which was divine with a beautiful bathroom and a huge living area.Nicky gave us a wonderful tour of the chateau - the facilities are outstanding. In the evening we had a couple of beers from the honesty bar - a concept we loved !
In the morning, we had breakfast in our room. I have lived in France but can honestly say that the pastries and bread we had were some of the best I have ever had. They came with cheese and meats, a delicious fruit salad and coffee. really good !!
The mix of the traditional chateau setting and ultra modern rooms and facilities make this place a real gem. You will struggle to find this perfect combination elsewhere in France. We have looked !
Needless to say that we have booked the chateau for our ceremony. We loved it!
If the magic of the castle does not win you over, the charm of Nicky and Mark will !

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lindi31
West Sussex, UK
Reviewed 21 October 2010

My husband and I stayed for one night in mid September at the chateau on our way back to St. Malo from visiting friends near Toulouse. We'd been to Carcoussone and arrived at the chateau a little later the planned. This highlighted the only downside of this accommodation; the fact that there is no dinner available. After a few attempts at other venues, we ate at a good little Pizzeria in a village nearby (with some help from Nicky).

Returning to the chateau though; it really is stunning. Nicky was most welcoming when we arrived and had showed us around and helped us find the pizzeria, so after our meal we selected a DVD from the cinema / library room (there is even a set of keyboards and a guitar to play on if you so wish), chose a reasonably priced, good bottle of red wine from the honesty bar and sat for a while drinking wine in each of the beautifully decorated rooms downstairs.

We were the only guests for the night - such a treat! It's not because it's not popular but purely because the venue is normally used for weddings and big occasions rather than one night stays, so I can understand why dinner is not on the agenda.

After sitting and chatting for a while, I played a bit on the grand piano there and then we went to our room. It was fantastic. We had french doors onto a large balcony which overlooked the large gardens and the heated swimming pool and the en-suite bath, shower etc was in a turret! There was a tv/dvd all set up at the bottom of our bed so we lay in bed and drank the rest of the wine while watching the DVD. Pure decadence!

Mark brought us up a fantastic breakfast to our room the following morning, right on time, and we tucked into fresh fruit, croissants, meats, cheese and pastries, with fresh juices and drinks. Really lovely.

We would highly recommend staying at le chateau and we would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LAC247
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marthon
Domaine du Chatelard
Le Clos de la Font Queroy
Chateau de Maumont
Chateau de Maumont
#1 of 2 in Magnac-sur-Touvre

Been to Chateau de la Couronne? Share your experiences!