“No five star at all - poor service”

Coco Ocean Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Bijilo
Frankfurt
“No five star at all - poor service”
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Though the hotel is nice per se and staff plenty, though inefficient, It is far from beeing a five star hotel. We had booked a junior suite and asked on arrival for two separate beds. The room was small as was the bed and ocean view was not available. We asked for two separate beds but management was not willing to help us. Had we booked a suite? The bathroom is three star and the room as well. The breakfast is not even approximate of what would be appropriate for a five star hotel. It is B&B level not more and not less with poor service quality. There is a lot of friendly staff but it takes time until you will be noticed. You can have eggs for bereakfast and tee/coffee. No buffet. What is that?

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank globaltraveller1969

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We chose Gambia because it was supposedly guaranteed sunshine and we weren't let down. The whole week we were there it was 35C with a nice breeze and great sunshine- A dry heat not the sweating your conkers off type of heat!
The Hotel was great, set in a little piece of forest/jungle over looking right on to the Atlantic coast, only 20 mtrs from the beach. The grounds play host to a large array of amazing birds, lizards and Monkeys! - I think that helps with the mosquito and other bugs because we didn't get bitten once - indeed we barely even saw a bug!
We stayed in a beach Front house which is highly recommended if you want the romantic experience
The atmosphere in the hotel was very friendly, the spa was great and the food and hotel service was generally very good. Special thanks to Ouzman B (Smiley) & Samba who really looked after us.
Given the majority of Gambian's live on or below the poverty line, their kindness and enthusiasm is amazing and it certainly puts in to perspective your own position. We felt safe, if a little uneasy at first only because everybody wants to talk to you! - there is the odd bumster who wants to try and sell you something with an interesting pitch, but the majority simply want to be friendly and learn about what is going on in the rest of the world.
Highly recommend the 4in 1 day tri with Edge tours - The guides were great and the trip gives you a real insight into Gambian life.
The £ was strong when we went so everything including the hotel seemed great value for money
Overall a highly recommended stay in both Gambia and the Coco Ocean

Room Tip: The Beach house are expensive, but worth the experience. The walls are a little thin but the place i...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank callum S
Northants
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I didn't really know what to expect when I booked this holiday as we had never been to The Gambia before and a lot of the stories on the internet scared the hell out of me....malaria, valuables stolen out of hotel safes, missing jewellry, stomach upsets etc....WELL!! It's just shows you can't believe everything you read!! We had a fab time and will definitely be going back. This time of year there are hardly any mozzies around because it isn't the raining season and it was quite windy(which mozzies don't like) so no standing water for them to breed in. My husband never gets bitten and I only got bitten a couple of times but that was when I was near the mangrove swamps. The people are very friendly, not overly friendly and not begging but genuinely smiley. They do want to know your names and they tell you there's and in this hotel they want to know how long you are staying so I think that they want to be there for the tips on the last day. We only tipped on the last day not every day and only the staff we saw more than twice. The hotel changes the sterling travellers cheques into Dallassi for you and we got 60 D to the pound. We got an upgraded room (to a beach villa) which was like having our own house! It was huge. The hotel isn't too big and doesn't feel crowded. You can always get a sunbed by the beach or by the pool. The staff can't do enough for you. They move sun beds to where you want them, in the shade or the sun. The "posh" restaurant had good food. I would have preferred more seafood considering we were on the coast but it was ok. The beach bar is ok for food. Chips are nice. Tempura battered fish was very heavy and the fish was not cooked all the way through. I daren't complain because they were so helpful and proud that I didn't want to upset them. In the evening it turned into a Thai restaurant. Food was good but not special. I did eat lots of things and didn't get an upset stomach at all. The breakfast is ok. The mango juice was so fresh and the Danish pastries lovely. Lovely courtyard to eat in. Sarah one of the Managers was a lovely Yorkshire lass and so helpful and friendly. She really is an asset to the hotel. It was great to see vervet monkeys on the patio the first morning we were there. We didn't have time to use the spa but it looked lovely. The hotel was spotlessly clean and the bed really comfortable. I have a bad back so the beds are usually a problem to me but I slept really well. Overall this is a good hotel if you like that sort of thing, but we then went on to the Mandina Lodges which is a very SPECIAL and altogether different experience which we enjoyed ten times more..x

Room Tip: Beach villa is well worth the extra money...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MotherHenNorthants
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I went there for a weekend with friends and had a fantastic time. Especially at the SPA.
Had the best spa treatment ever!!

The food, Service and atmosphere is great.
I would go back there over and Over again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nneka O
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

we have been to Gambia for the last 11 years and always stayed in the Atlantic in Banjul. In November we booked again but because our friends whom we usually travel with couldnt make it, we decided to try a different hotel and booked Coco Ocean Spa. It was absolutely beautiful! Its in the middle of a forest and you can often see monkeys running around. we loved it!!! The room was lovely, the souroundings and decor are beautiful. The staff were lovely everything was just spot on! The only slight critisism I would have is that we like to drink a lot of tea and coffee and we had to keep ringing out for more milk and coffee. The food was lovely as well. Although it was a lot more expensive to stay in than the Atlantic the food was very reasonably priced as we only go bed and breakfast. Have just booked again for my birthday in a couple of weeks. I will never stay anywhere else when I go to The Gambia. I also had a facial in the spa. It was very relaxing. Quite expensive but nice for a one off treat. I would highly reccomend this hotel. Would be ideal for a honeymoon.

Room Tip: I think they are all lovely rooms. We were just by reception area and it was very quiet. I think its...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank lelly7
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2014

My husband and I went there for Christmas and new year. As always it was perfect. Best place we have ever stayed in The Gambia. Been here 6 times and never been disappointed ! The staff are very helpful and friendly. The waiters are the best and very attentive .Our room is a secret as it has the best view and the best " housekeeper " Awa is very helpful and our room is always spotless every day. Couldn't ask for better people. Thank you Coco Ocean for a lovely stay!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ladydigby_13
Amman, Jordan
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

I visited Banjul for a couple of days and the hotel atmosphere is really good however you have to be cautious when you checkin not to pay cash full amount as they will only refund you if any excess in local currency and any credit card payment will have a 3% extra charge. They claim they deposit the foreign currency at the bank and can not refund back in same currency?! Although one person just ahead of me paid in foreign currency.

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank fadifaqih
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bijilo
Senegambia Beach Hotel
Gambia Coral Beach Hotel & Spa
Kololi Beach Club
Kololi Beach Club
#2 of 8 in Kololi

Been to Coco Ocean Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!