“Fabulous”

Coco Ocean Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Bijilo
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This was my first visit to The Gambia and really had no idea what to expect. Have backpacked in Nigeria & Kenya & assumed this would've been a typical package holiday resort! Was pleasantly surprised.
To start with the hotel was amazing value for money. Clean, large room with everything you could need~not luxurious but perfect for what we needed. Fantastic grounds, excellent pool, nice bars and a great breakfast choice. All the staff were very friendly and helpful.
Situation of hotel was perfect, walking distance from all bars and a vast array of restaurants. Definitely try Kunta Kinteh for Sunday buffet at kotu, Ali Baba and Paradiso at the strip .
It's definitely worth getting out & about but I'd advise you use a local guide, we used Aziz . It's much cheaper you are bound to have more of an adventure! We did James Island, a lazy day, Senegal fathala and walk with the lions, George town for one night to see the hippos , local village and monkey park by the hotel. All were worth doing.
This was my first visit to The Gambia but I won't hesitate to return and will definitely stay at Coco Ocean again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sandy d

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Beyond description! I could spend the whole there, I will surely be back! Awesome experience.
Friendly staff.
Ambience lovely.
Spa treatments, soothing!
Pricing, perfect!
I loved the tea too :)
The beach is also very nice and calming.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I've read through a few of the comments below and would like to set a few things straight.......

Before I do that..... a couple of indiviual mentions....

Kebba - Hotel Driver..... great service, prompt, efficient, friendly.... knowledgable, generally a guy you want working for you.... not pushy, very relaxed and professional

Samba - Waiter (Breakfast/Pool Bar) - Attentive, friendly, chatty and extremely professional. First Class

I know there are many other great staff there, but these two guys are the ones we saw the most.

Now time to set a few things straight......

The rooms..... we BOOKED one of the Beach Rooms...... spacious.... is not the word - was like an apartment..... and yes I do live in a four bedroom detached house.... it was plenty big enough...... Views - amazing - if you book a room with views!

Food - Breakfast ... amazing restaurant style breakfast.... perfect food and perfect service......

Food - Restaurant - to be fair expensive... but it is amazing food and you are in the middle of West Africa.... if you don't want to spend so much get a taxi to the Senegambia and eat fantastic food for a lot less..... but you have a choice - don't moan about it!

Generally all round great value for money. Good food, great service, yes a little slow in places, but it is WEST AFRICA, it is not the West End, the Latin Quart, or the Big Apple.

Room Tip: Book one of the Beach Rooms - you are footsteps from the sand and very quiet location with superb vi...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JKTLondon
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Had a lovely time the 2nd time! Lovely location & friendly staff, just needy of better restaurant food & choice at breakfast ? We are so looking forward to our next trip , we love the peace of the villa area where makes it so more private great beach !!!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We couldn't have made a better choice than the coco ocean when we decided on our honeymoon . We have recommended the place to 3 other couples and they each enjoyed their stay. Its nicely tucked away from the hustle and bustle of town and right on the beach front. wonderful service, beautiful scenery, we always looked forward to the buffet breakfast because it was superb. we stayed in the bamboo suite which was even more relaxing because the rooms in the main building can be noisy at times. One of the steward (yew) offered to take us round town(got a taxi guy that took us around when he was on duty) causing us to save loads on booking tours with the hotel which in my opinion is over priced. The major draw back then was that we couldn't access the wifi from our rooms, we always had to walk down to the reception. I hope that has been fixed now

Room Tip: the suites away from the main building(reception area) are noiseless, serene and spacious. it would...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Voke E
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

For my 10th trip I finally stayed at the renowned Coco Ocean. The scenery and visual splendor of the hotel did not disappoint. However, the service could be snappier and the food could use more flavour ( preferably with a local touch)

Well worth a visit I will definitely be back.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank magnif
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Been here 4 times now and it is always an experience. Spa is great, had 2 swedish massages. The beach is more or less undisturbed and a joy. I left my computer, iPhone, camera etc alone at my sunbed without feeling worried about theft, which is rare to do in The Gambia :)
Food and spa prices are higher than other hotels and restaurants but worth it. Definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bijilo
Kairaba Beach Hotel
Kololi Beach Resort
Kololi Beach Resort
#2 of 9 in Kololi
Ocean Bay Hotel & Resort

Been to Coco Ocean Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!