“Home from Home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bijilo
Sardinka Guest House
Ranked #1 of 8 Bijilo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Sardinka is my first choice for place to stay in The Gambia. Hosts are great people, swimming pool is awesome, rooms are clean and comfortable and security is tight. Me and my little family always feel welcome.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank gingerbells

Reviewed 22 January 2014

My girlfriend and me (Miren and Mikel) went to Gambia on August, in rainy season. We couldn't imagine that this place would become our "home" in Gambia. We booked the first 4 days and after these 4 days, we finally stayed in Sardinka for our whole trip of 2 weeks!

Why? Because though we wanted to feel some "local experience" we wanted, too, a comfortable trip, and here we got both :)

We chatted with Roy about Gambia (he taught us a lot about local not turistical culture), experiences and dreams while we drunk some beers. We swam in the pool (rainy season is not that bad, really), sunbathed, went to the local beach and restaurants, etc.

Ebou, the guide - a friendly local friend - went with us in several trips and, not only he was a very sympathetic and close person, but he tried to make our experience amazing. He achieved it!

I'm not sure we could've had the great experience we had if it wasn't because of Roy, Lorraine and Ebou.

Ah, by the way, we got very surprised when we entered the booked room in Sardinka and checked that it was really an apartment! With kitchen, living room and a very spacious bed.

Very recommended.
About us: we're a 28 year-old Spanish (Basque) couple.

Room Tip: The room that is in front of the swimming pool is awesome.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mikel T
Reviewed 17 January 2014

It was a first time trip to the Gambia for us. We did not want to stay in a hotel as they are the same around the world. This little gem of a place was just the perfect in between place to stay. We felt secure yet got to see the beautiful country and its smiling friendly people. Roy and Lorraine welcomed us into their home, looked after us and gave us a superb new Years Eve party. From stepping off the plane we were met by Ebu who drove us to the Sardinka. Lorraine welcomed us with a drink and made us feel at ease. The honesty bar is just great as you could have the place to yourself and feel as though you were at home. The appartments have everything you need and there are a lot of shops to buy some of the local produce.Roy cooked us a superb curry on our last night and we would definitely consider returning as there is still so much to see and do yet you can relax and do nothing too.

Room Tip: Room at the back is quieter away from the pool
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anina H
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My gf and I stayed here last February (my apologies for the very late review which I meant to put up when I got home). Despite probably being a little younger than most guests we were given a very warm welcome and felt comfortable from the moment we arrived. Lovely home from home atmosphere. Nothing was too much trouble for Roy and Lorraine and we had a peaceful, relaxing stay!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank btk1
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Been back just over a week and I'm missing this place big time! Chose Sardinka because it was self catering and in an area of TG that I hadn't explored before and I was not disappointed.
I was met at the airport by their driver Ebu and was immediately made to feel welcome on arrival by Roy and Lorraine who were wonderful hosts throughout. The guesthouse is situated directly off the main road between the turntable and Senegambia so, although there was a little traffic noise, the location was perfect for picking up a yellow taxi for 8 dalasi for a trip in either direction. It's also only a few minutes walk to the fantastic Bijilo beach that has a selection of upmarket and local beach bars. I walked 40 minutes along the beach in both direction to Brufut and Pelican bar for the local Wednesday school beach day to the left, and to Voodoo bar and the monkey park in Kololi to the right. During my stay Roy and Lorraine also invited me along to trips to Kartong and Batakunku which are beautiful spots I would have struggled to find without them. My studio apartment was extremely well equiped and, had I chosen to cook for myself on a regular basis there would have been no problems as I had a full size gas cooker and hob and a large fridge/freezer plus all utensils and fresh bread was delivered to me daily at a nominal charge. Bed was comfy and towels and bedding changed as required. Pool was a welcome relief after a hot day and being able to help myself to a drink from the honesty bar whenever I wanted to was a great touch.
I would highly recommend this place for return visitors to the Gambia who may have "done" the hotel experience and want to have more freedom and the opportunity to explore this lovely country as independant travellers but still wish to retain the security and reassurance that Roy and Lorraine are on hand to offer if any problems occur. As a solo traveller I had a fantastic time and met some lovely people during my stay at Sardinka (you know who you are ;) and I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank netnub
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stayed at Sardinka for the first time in November 2013 but this was my 5th trip to The Gambia. Despite having visited the country before I learnt so much form Lorraine and Roy - they are truly remarkable and provide a memorable experience. The accommodation is absolutely lovely and in a superb location - couldn't fault it and it's remarkably good value. I am already looking forward to the next trip to see Lorraine and Roy!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank 3813SEY
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We had a brilliant time at Sardinka Guest House and would highly recommend it - We stayed from 5th to 12th of November 2013. Lorraine and Roy are lovely people, they make everyone feel at home. We stayed in a very nice 2 bedroom apartment with a lounge and kitchen area in the middle, it was perfect for us. The girls who do the cleaning are a family who have been with Roy and Lorraine for years and who all seem part of the family.

Its easy to get around from here, only 5 minutes to get to the main strip. We really liked the pool area, its spotlessly clean and and the honesty bar was a great idea too. Its fantastic value for money - a true hidden gem! Thank you Lorraine & Roy and we would definitely return.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends