“Terrible Experience”

Best Western Plus Hunter Gateway
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rutherford
Reviewed 8 May 2014

There is not enough space here to express our disappointment. Thin walls! had to listen to the person next door talking on the phone till 2am. Staines on the bedding and soft furniture. Yuk.

Rude staff, No Service. i Thought Mecure was an up market place to stay. I was very much mistaken.
How many stars is this place?

On a positive note, They always seem to have rooms available. If you need a place to crash and don't care much for anything but a place to sleep and willing to pay a premium. Then this is the place.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Happy T
RenaT_23, Manager at Best Western Plus Hunter Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Happy T, I was shocked to read your comments regarding your stay with us. I am sorry your experience did not meet your expectations and I would really like the opportunity to discuss your stay issues in person. At Mercure Maitland we strive to provide superior service for every customer and your feedback is important to us.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Sincerely

Reviewed 2 May 2014

My partner and I attended the Groovin the Moo festival and stayed here as everywhere else was booked out. It was really expensive for one night - I have paid less in the heart of Sydney CBD for a Saturday night, but due to the festival prices were inflated. We were happy with our choice.

Pros
- they had rooms available
- staff were nice when I spoke to them over the phone
- rooms were neat and nothing had grime or dirt on it
- Nice shower and bathroom
- Great sleep quality (once I removed the hairs.. read below)

Cons
- my pillow and side of the bed had small black hairs. I was really unhappy about this - I was lucky I brought my own pillow!
- there was also a previous guests hair tie on the floor. I know I am just being picky now but I really don't like strangers hair being everywhere.
-rooms were shoe-box sized
- I wanted to go for a swim but the pool didn't open til 9am and we had to leave the hotel soon after
- Not the hotels fault, but we couldn't get a parking spot in the hotel after the festival. This was the main draw card when we booked the hotel, but people attending the festivals obviously had taken up more than one spot. It was really frustrating to not be able to park our car and unload our luggage near our hotel room. I wish the hotel had a better way to monitor the cars parked there and how many spots are taken up by each room number. I would not have booked if I knew we were unable to park there.

TIP: Ladies, bring a conditioner. The one supplied by the hotel is not good, its a "conditioning shampoo" ... I checked and as far as I could see, the only difference between this conditioning shampoo and the body wash is the addition of glycerine. Left my hair tangled and knotty for the rest of my weekend away.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
RenaT_23, Manager at Best Western Plus Hunter Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Hello Jody, thankyou for your review on your stay with us over the Groovin the Moo weekend.
I am very concerned about comments regarding the state of your room, under no circumstances is this acceptable. Can you please contact me either via phone on 02 4937 7999 or email: rena.taylor@mercuremaitland.com.au so that I may the appropriate measure to ensure all our rooms are up to standard.

Regards
Mercure Maitland

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Friends and I had a couple of nights here on the weekend.. The room was clean and beds comfortable.
Close to food and petrol station.
Absolutely cannot fault the staff, they were so helpful. In particular Sharon who made a massive effort in helping us get to where we needed to be!

Would stay again!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thankyou for your wonderful review regarding your stay with us over the Groovin the Moo weekend. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will pass on your comments to Sharon.
We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 29 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Just stopping for the one night we found this place to be very convenient and easy to find. Close to lots of eateries with a pub right next door...walking distance. Huge room and bathroom, very clean. Reception staff very pleasant and helpful. Would stay here again anytime. Breakfast was included and full buffet style, staff very nice.

Room Tip: I think most rooms would be of equal quality and comfort.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
RenaT_23, Manager at Best Western Plus Hunter Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you so much for your positive review. I was so pleased to read that you had a pleasant stay. I will pass your comments onto our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 13 April 2014

A last minute decision to spend a night in the Hunter Valley left us scrambling for options which were affordable, available and didn't require a 2 night minimum.
With the new Hunter Valley Expressway, the Mercure is now only 30 minutes from Ponkolbin so a nice easy trip.
The manager was helpful and accommodating, the rooms spacious and the bathrooms, recently renovated, bordered on huge. The bed was comfortable, bedding was ample and free wifi (if a bit on the slow side) was appreciated.
For the price paid we expected something much more 'down market'. Decor was non-descript but tasteful.
Next time we will probably ask for a room that doesn't back onto the main road as the noise from the cars meant we had to sleep with the sliding doors closed. Having the doors open in summer could be a bit of a problem anyhow as there are no flyscreens.
All in all it was a good choice and we'd happily visit again, especially since their rates are significantly less than their sister property just 30 minutes away in the Valley itself.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
RenaT_23, Manager at Best Western Plus Hunter Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear Guest, We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Maitland. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Too bad. This is the 5th hotel we have stayed at on our road trip of NSW and the first negative experience so far. The rooms are fairly nice and the property appears well maintained but garbage was left in the room from previous guests. The rooms don't have microwaves so we asked at reception. The reception was not accomodating and seemed opportunistic. They said they would lend us one for an extra $20. Most hotels I have stayed at work hard to accommodate their guests requests. I couldn't understand the nickel and diming for a simple item which they had available but not willing to provide as a complimentary amenity for the 2 minutes of use it would take to heat some food. Also, the kids were looking forward to an evening swim after a long day in the car however the pool is not heated and was unusable.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Nathan R

Dear Guest, thank you for feedback on your recent stay. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. We do not advertise on any site that a microwave is standard in our rooms. We have 2 microwaves that are offered for an additional fee, this was offered to you and your wife but rejected. We did then offer for you to bring food needing to be heated to the office and we would gladly heat this for you, this offer was also not taken up.
Our swimming pool is advertised as an outdoor/ unheated swimming pool. When booking your future accommodation checking what amenities are available at the hotel prior to booking or ringing hotel direct will usually alleviate your assumptions prior to arrival.
Regards
Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rutherford
Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley
Quest Maitland
Quest Maitland
#1 of 10 in Maitland
Kirkton Park Hotel Hunter Valley
Chateau Elan Hunter Valley
Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens
Monte Pio Hotel and Conference Centre

Been to Best Western Plus Hunter Gateway? Share your experiences!