“5star luxury with family-style friendliness”

Best Western Plus Hunter Gateway
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rutherford
Brisbane, Australia
“5star luxury with family-style friendliness”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is my new favourite hotel. My room (115) was luxurious, modern and clean with a pretty garden/fern view at the back and a very comfortable bed. The reverse-cycle aircon kept me perfectly comfortable during two very cool nights, and I heard no traffic noise at all. The staff couldn't have been friendlier, from the receptionist who chatted to me each time I had to wait for pick-up to the chef in the breakfast restaurant who made a point of instigating a brief conversation with each patron who was eating alone - fabulous for alleviating that on-the-road loneliness. Real country hospitality, great food at breakfast - plenty of hot and cold food for vegetarians as well as lashing of bacon and eggs, and they cater to gluten and lactose intolerance as well. The one slight problem I had with my room was handled quickly and professionally, with a sincere apology. Can't fault these guys.
Lunch and dinner can be easily sourced at the Bradford Hotel two minutes walk away, which served delicious meals with giant-sized helpings and again, lots of options for vegetarians.

Room Tip: I was in 115 and it was quiet, but it was at the other end of the complex from the breakfast restaur...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank LouLou5111
RenaT_23, Manager at Best Western Plus Hunter Gateway, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear Lou Lou
Thank you for your fabulous review on your stay with. It is always such a pleasure to receive such a wonderful report when a guest has enjoyed their stay. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Kind Regards
Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Pitt Town, Australia
Reviewed 18 May 2014

First time at the Mecure Maitland, attended lovedale long lunch.
We attended with a large group, the hospitality was excellent.
Rooms were spacious and clean, bathroom was also very spacious.
We had a lovely weekend, defiantly be back again.
Thank you to the friendly staff Sharon and Rena, for making our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
RenaT_23, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Hunter Gateway, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Hello Katie,

Thank you for your lovely feedback regarding your stay with us for the Lovedale Long Lunch in May this year.

We are very pleased to hear that you were comfortable and enjoyed your visit.

We hope we can asisst you and your friends again next year.

Kind Regards,

Sharon Davidson
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Once again we have been looked after at the Mecure @ Maitland. There was no problem with last minute arrangements for our large group that were attending the Lovedale long Lunch, the office ladies were more than helpful and also directed us on local services and dining facilities. Everyone was more than pleased with breaky and the large clean dining room was great to catch up with our friends before we headed back home. Thankyou once again to Sharon and Rena and the lovely chef that kept checking on our breaky to see if we were all well fed. See you all again soon hopefully.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Kassamack
Dear Kassamack,
It was a joy to host your group during May this year.
We are pleased to hear that you all enjoyed your stay and breakfast with us the following day.
Our guest feedback is very important to us at Mercure Maitland and we appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay.
Looking forward to seeing you all again for Lovedale Long Lunch next year.

Kind Regards,

Sharon Davidson
Penrith, Australia
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My husband and I stayed overnight and it was fabulous! Spacious showers, easy to find location and customer service was fantastic. For the cost the room was suitable. We took advantage of the buffet breakfast the morning of check out and it was delicious. Definitely use again when In the area

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels

1 Thank Tina L
Dear Tina L
Thank you for your wonderful review on your stay with us. I will pass this on to my staff. We look forward to seeing you again in the future,
Kind Regards
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 May 2014

There is not enough space here to express our disappointment. Thin walls! had to listen to the person next door talking on the phone till 2am. Staines on the bedding and soft furniture. Yuk.

Rude staff, No Service. i Thought Mecure was an up market place to stay. I was very much mistaken.
How many stars is this place?

On a positive note, They always seem to have rooms available. If you need a place to crash and don't care much for anything but a place to sleep and willing to pay a premium. Then this is the place.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Happy T
RenaT_23, Manager at Best Western Plus Hunter Gateway, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Happy T, I was shocked to read your comments regarding your stay with us. I am sorry your experience did not meet your expectations and I would really like the opportunity to discuss your stay issues in person. At Mercure Maitland we strive to provide superior service for every customer and your feedback is important to us.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Sincerely
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 May 2014

My partner and I attended the Groovin the Moo festival and stayed here as everywhere else was booked out. It was really expensive for one night - I have paid less in the heart of Sydney CBD for a Saturday night, but due to the festival prices were inflated. We were happy with our choice.

Pros
- they had rooms available
- staff were nice when I spoke to them over the phone
- rooms were neat and nothing had grime or dirt on it
- Nice shower and bathroom
- Great sleep quality (once I removed the hairs.. read below)

Cons
- my pillow and side of the bed had small black hairs. I was really unhappy about this - I was lucky I brought my own pillow!
- there was also a previous guests hair tie on the floor. I know I am just being picky now but I really don't like strangers hair being everywhere.
-rooms were shoe-box sized
- I wanted to go for a swim but the pool didn't open til 9am and we had to leave the hotel soon after
- Not the hotels fault, but we couldn't get a parking spot in the hotel after the festival. This was the main draw card when we booked the hotel, but people attending the festivals obviously had taken up more than one spot. It was really frustrating to not be able to park our car and unload our luggage near our hotel room. I wish the hotel had a better way to monitor the cars parked there and how many spots are taken up by each room number. I would not have booked if I knew we were unable to park there.

TIP: Ladies, bring a conditioner. The one supplied by the hotel is not good, its a "conditioning shampoo" ... I checked and as far as I could see, the only difference between this conditioning shampoo and the body wash is the addition of glycerine. Left my hair tangled and knotty for the rest of my weekend away.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
RenaT_23, Manager at Best Western Plus Hunter Gateway, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Hello Jody, thankyou for your review on your stay with us over the Groovin the Moo weekend.
I am very concerned about comments regarding the state of your room, under no circumstances is this acceptable. Can you please contact me either via phone on 02 4937 7999 or email: rena.taylor@mercuremaitland.com.au so that I may the appropriate measure to ensure all our rooms are up to standard.

Regards
Mercure Maitland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rutherford
Quest Maitland
Quest Maitland
#1 of 10 in Maitland
Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley
Kirkton Park Hotel Hunter Valley
Chateau Elan Hunter Valley
Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens
Monte Pio Hotel and Conference Centre

Been to Best Western Plus Hunter Gateway? Share your experiences!