“The best chalet I have stayed in”
Review of Chalet Ecole

Chalet Ecole
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in La Roche-sur-Foron
Chalet Ecole
Reviewed 24 August 2010

Quite simply brilliant. I stayed last year but have only just got around to putting on a review as we are beginning to plan the next skiing holiday. Chalet Ecole is amazing. The style is contempory but so comfortable and warm. The food was absolutely brilliant- tasty and filling- exactly what was needed after a hard day of skiing. The hosts were very friendly and made sure that we had everything that we needed.

I would definitely recommend this chalet.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank rwliv

Reviewed 28 March 2010

We can only agree with everything everyone has already mentioned. We travelled as 2 families with 4 children age from 9 to 14.Dan picked us up from Chambery airport having dropped off the previous clients at a different airport - this is the one and only thing I would change and would of got a slightly later flight but was soon forgotten as soon as we entered the chalet. It is absolutly beautiful .Dan and Becky have worked tremendously hard to get it to such an excellent standard . Attention to detail is everywhere from crisp white linen and bathrobes for everyone to lovely comfy sofa's and real fire which is so relaxing after a full day skiing.You really do not need to eat during the day as breakfast is laid out beautifully every morning (bread , croissants , cereals and yoghurts)with a cooked option as well , then huge cake coffee and breads again waiting for your return.Wine and beer really is included and was exceptional.
As for Becky's cooking , she is a star .We really didnt expect such 5* cooking but she is amazing. Both Dan and Becky work soo hard they deserve a medal.Another quick mention is the children are very well catered for - option of another food choice if they didnt want the "grown up" dish , loads of really good DVD'S , wii games and internet access which kept our 14 year old daughter in touch with civilisation(was dubious about allowing lap top on holiday but best decision ever - no mood swings- briliiant).The ski lift is just down the hill, literally 2 mins and can leave skis next to the lift - we used the chalet drying room for boots but the ski shop was really accomodating and doesnt get crowded first thing in the morning.There is a really good red or blue run back to the la roche lift then very short walk back up to the chalet.The skiing is brillaint with loads of choice, we paid for the full paradiski lift pass and went over to Les Arc but you really could ski for weeks with this - the area is huge . Having not been to France to ski before we were also impressed how well it is signposted and virtually impossible to get lost!! Would recommend the olympic bob sleigh too - it was amazing experience.We really have had the best holiday ever and a 40th birthday never to forget - A BIG BIG thankyou to Dan and Becky for making such a memorable time xx we will be back xx

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank GreenFamily22
Reviewed 2 February 2010

The chalet is superb, very stylish and extremely comfortable. Dan and Becky were the perfect hosts, good fun, hard working and the food and drink amazing. Having the free Geneva transport was a big bonus too. Sadly for me, I broke my ankle on the first day but Dan & Becky bent over backwards to help out way beyond the call of duty with trips to the hospital etc! Thank you so much. If one has to break a limb, this is the place to do it!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank JamieW_10
Reviewed 26 January 2010

Chalet Ecole is a recently renovated Ski Chalet located a minutes walk from La Roche Ski Lift. Following my various Ski trips with Scott Dunn I was slightly dubious about staying in a Chalet not owned or run by a large organisation - however....I was very wrong to be concerned ! Firstly Dan collected our party of 6 from the airport perfectly on time & very welcoming / Secondly on arrival at this really lovely Chalet Becky was there to greet us - again very welcoming - at the door. The Chalet consists of 2 king bedrooms (one on the ground floor & one in the basement), 4 bunk beds & on the top floor with a lovely balcony is a twin room. Every room was beautiful with fluffy white towels & dressing gowns, wonderful duvets & pillows with fresh white cotton linen / every bathroom brand new & contemporary styled - the entire Chalet presented to perfection.
In addition to a wonderful Chalet (at a fraction of the cost of Scott Dunn which also included transfers to & from Geneva Airport included in the weekly price !!) the food was outstanding & plentiful including the wine !

Wonderful stay / pefect hosts - thank you to you both x

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wilsonmg
Reviewed 5 January 2010

Wow, what a wonderful place! This year I had the great fortune of spending Christmas in the beautiful Chalet Ecole. We stayed in the self-catered side; which meant that we missed out on Becky's cooking which is rumoured to be fantastic; but we didn't miss out on anything else....what a stunning place! The building really is like something from Grand Designs, and all the furnishings are excedingly comfortable. No matter how cold it is outside you would never know from the cosy inside of the chalet; the underfloor heating is amazing and the log fire adds to both the warmth and the atmosphere.

And the place itself, well what a magical way to spend Christmas! The snowy views from every window are breathtaking. As a non-skier I felt unsure as to how I would find the holiday; would there be anything to do? I needn't have worried. The place is so cosy that I barely wanted to leave once, I was more than happy sat by the fire with a hot chocolate and a book, taking in the spectacular views. However on the days I did venture out I was not disappointed. On Christmas day we bought a walkers ski pass (not very expensive) and took the ski lift up to Aime 2000 and then down to Plagne Centre where we really felt the magic come alive. The places were full of cheerful skiers and walkers, with bars and restaurants (and we even got to see Father Christmas on his sleigh).

My husband and the other boys absolutely loved the skiing and would spend whole days out in the snow. What a wonderful holiday, I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank lnbYorkshire
Reviewed 13 March 2009

I have never written a review of a holiday before, but after at week staying with Dan & Becky in there beautiful chalet I felt I needed to.
Location - excellent just 150 metres downhill to the new six person La Roche chair which takes you to Aime La Plagne, giving easy access to all the resort, absolute beginniners can go up the lift carrying skis and then catch a bubble into the centre of La Plagne, whilst those with any ski experience will be able to manage the blue into Plagne Centre. Two runs ( red & blue ) lead back to La Roche and 150 metres to the chalet, those who can ski off piste can shorten this to approx 50 metres.
Accommodation - wow - simple and classy. All the fixtures and fittings are excellent quality, with enough room to spread out you never feel on top of each another. The log fire looks wonderful. The pictures on the website are a true reflection of the rooms, but will never capture the actual beautiful homely feel the chalet has.
Food - I have eaten in some wonderful places across the world, paying good money, but I have never eaten so well as I did at Chalet Ecole. Becky is simply an outstanding cook, chosing top quality cuts of fish and meat, cooking them to perfection, gracing them with a simple garnish and fresh vegetables to create memorable dishes every day....breakfast was a meal to look forward to as was the afternoon cake !.
Will I be back - oh yes, even if there was no snow, this would be a place to come back to.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Leeds19
Reviewed 24 February 2009

Chalet Ecole is a wonderful and lovingly restored village school. Every detail of this building has been carefully chosen and implemented - think 'Grand Designs'. From the moment you walk in you are aware of this and have the feeling of I need to find the best room quick! Don't worry they are all fab.
Another fabulous treat to this chalet is the food, Becky (with the help of Dan) cooks up a surprise for the senses every evening (and morning and her cakes are to die for) and believe me you are talking about what is for dinner the moment you finish your breakfast, during skiing and on the chairlift!
The skiing is important too, access is about 100 yards from the chalet via a new speedy 6 person chairlift which takes you to Aime 2000. As a lover of blue runs, the skiing was great, for my husband and the rest of the party being lovers of red, black and off piste the skiing I am told was also fantastic. There are two runs (red & blue) back to the bottom of the chair lift where there is also bar serving much needed end of the day drinks.
The village itself is not lively (except for the bobsleigh) but the neighbouring village of La Plagne offers more bars/nightlife which is only approx 5minute drive away.
I cannot recommend this chalet enough and we will all definitely return in the future.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends

Been to Chalet Ecole? Share your experiences!