All reviews third floor mons bed reception desk town wifi euro cosy
Reviewed 27 September 2017

Set just off a very busy main road, this is a tired old hotel with a restaurant that is run by someone different to the owners we understand. You collect your key from the un manned front desk. The rooms are in dire need of an upgrade and are reached by a very steep and long staircase. The wi fi does not work properly and there is no know one on the premeses when the restaurant closes, a security issue and worrying in the event of a fire. You are given a key to the outer door for night access which is a poor copy and we were worried we were not going to get in. We did eventually! On check out they had already taken the money from our card! When we next visit the area we will choose one of the modern hotels nearby which are probably better value, we chose this one for character but there is none.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

- I booked a double room with a double bed but was given a twin room with 3 single beds

- The weather was hot during our stay and there was no air con. The rooms were boiling. As soon as I walked in the room I would sweat. It was even too hot to dry my hair

- On my booking it said my room came with a fan. It didn't.

- No hairdryer in the rooms

- One of the evenings we were sat in the garden waiting to order some drinks. There were only a few other people sat out there. The member of staff served all other tables, could see us sat there but didn't come over once. After about an hour of waiting we went to the bar ourselves order the drinks and carried them out.

- There was a horrible smell in the garden. It was really strong. Smelled like sewage. Someone told me there was a problem with their drains

- As the evening went on loads of May bugs and Mosquitos started flying around the garden and it was getting quite cold. We decided to sit inside. The member of staff (the one who previously ignored us) shouted at us to get out. He said we was not allowed to sit inside unless we was eating (bearing in mind we was drinking from there bar) We asked what they do in the winter but the guy just kept shouting at us shooing us away. We ended up just sitting in the tiny hall way. We then went to order another drink and he told us no the bar was closed. It was only 22.00 and there were no notices around or anything mentioned on the hotel information sheet which had the timings of breakfast etc to say the bar shut at that time. He then turned off all the lights and shut/locked the door next to where we were sat. We felt like he was rushing us to go to bed. He kept looking really stroppy as well.

- On the last day I went to go pay for my hotel room and check out but the hotel had already taken the funds from my account the previous day. When I booked the room it said the card details you entered at the time off the booking was just to reserve the room and the hotel wouldn't take any money from the card. This meant that you can pay on a different card when you leave. This mucked up my funds as I was going to pay with another card.

. The breakfast is expensive for what you get. Not much variety at all and the rolls etc are tiny.

- The hotel advertises wifi but it's shockingly bad. I was there on a business trip so wifi is needed.

The only good points is that the garden is nice and the food is lovely (a bit expensive) but very nice!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2017

No internet facilities at this hotel despite the fact it is advertised as free wifi through out, this was a business trip, internet was essential for me to carry out my work.
Unfriendly staff, the waiter did not come over to our table to take a drinks order even though he was serving everyone else around us. I had to go to the bar myself to order drinks for our table and then carry them over myself.
When the weather took a turn for the worse we wanted to sit inside the bar instead of outside. When we moved inside the waiter shouted at us and told us we could not sit in here, it's was a restaurant. We asked where can we sit? He was very rude and shrugged his shoulders, then began to turn off lights and shut doors. We could not order more drinks as he said the bar was shut , there was no warning before hand. It was only 2200hrs.
Rooms were very hot and stuffy.
When I went to pay my bill they had already taken the money off my card. I wanted to pay cash as I did not want to incur a charge for using my card. I have now had to pay an extra £4.60 from my card. And the payment was taken the day before I had booked out so there was no way I could discuss my bill.
Staff were rude and intimidating throughout.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 May 2017 via mobile

We stayed here because it was next door to where our daughter lived. Very convenient to visiting her and to the town of Mons. I would categorize this hotel as quaint with a bit of an historic feel. Rooms were very clean. I found the bed to be comfortable. The heat worked, which doesn't always happen. Plenty of hot water and excellent water pressure considering I was in room 12 on the top floor. Only drawback is there is no elevator so carrying bags to the third floor can be challenging. Also, being on the top floor you will encounter ceiling beams so if you are over 6 feet be prepared to walk carefully on the top floor. They offer a continental breakfast for 12 euros each but you need to let them know the night before if you plan to have breakfast. We did not eat dinner there but my son and his fiancé did. It was a bit pricey at 33 euro each but it was a pris fixe menu so it was 3 courses. He said the food was outstanding. The woman checking us in could not speak a bit of English but we managed. If you are late arrival don't be surprised if you find your key on the desk with a slip of paper as the desk is not manned 24/7. Also, after midnight the door is locked so if you are checking in after then you will encounter a problem. Overall we had a really pleasant stay. We would stay here again for sure.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2016 via mobile

We stayed overnight at this hotel it is out of town and a car is really a necessity. The room was OK the big bonus was a refrigerator which is rare at most hotels in the area. We had the three course meal which was 28 euro each it was very nice and the restaurant is very pleasant. Breakfast was provided it was limited but enough to keep you going. Staff were really friendly but limited English including the menus overall we were very happy with our stay. A must do is a visit to the Mons Memorial Museum it is only a few kilometers from the hotel.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple