All reviewswaterfall hikegolfo dulcehowler monkeysother guestsfishboat ridecosta ricayoga deckrainforest lodgeopen airfamily stylebotanical gardenschocolate makingfell asleepinsect repellentincredible locationspotted dolphins
Reviewed 22 August 2017

My family had a fantastic 3 nights at Nicuesa. Our room was surrounded by dense jungle and every evening felt like an adventure as we listened to the noises of the rainforest. The eco lodge made my family really appreciate the natural environment away from the comforts of the city. The communal area is a beautiful building and we spent many happy hours chatting to other families, swinging in hammocks and spotting wildlife. We used the kayaks and snorkels provided and explored the nearby Botanical Gardens. Our whole stay was a unique experience.

Room Tip: Cabina Perezoso feels quite remote but that added to excitement. Bit of a squeeze with its double bed and bunk - but cosy and comfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
NicuesaLodge, General Manager at Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

We are really happy to hear how much you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. And we are pleased we were able to share with you the appreciation of our jungle home -- a memorable experience to be sure. We love the big "extended family" experience we strive to create here and are glad you did too. We hope you can visit us again. Until then, "pura vida"!

Reviewed 12 July 2017

This lodge is absolutely lovely! The gorgeous pictures you see on their website is EXACTLY what it looks like in person. The property is very intimate. The guest houses are roomy and spread out, which allows for added privacy.

This was my first time staying in an eco lodge, and I didn't know what to expect. Being close to nature, while having very minimal impact to the natural environment is very important to me. The term "sustainability" is very trendy these days, and my guess is that the term is often used loosely. But, after experiencing this lodge, I can tell you that the owners are serious about their commitment to sustainability. They go through great efforts to receive certifications that are reviewed and updated regularly. The owners take great care to have a light footprint on the surrounding environment, including air-drying the sheets, towels, and laundry in the large drying shed, revegetation efforts to replace the diseased cacao trees with native vegetation, providing biodegradable toiletries and sunscreen to guests, and many other efforts that you will learn about on the complimentary sustainability tour.

We traveled with another family and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The family adventure package was a great addition. It allowed us to have an activity planned for each day, yet we had the flexibility to pick and choose what activity to do and when.

The food was out of this world amazing! My family is vegan, and we were so appreciative of the variety and choice of options available to us. Chef Edison took great care of us, including making some vegan cookies and other yummy desserts. I especially loved the gallo pinto, fried plantains, and amazing fresh fruit for breakfast, and the fruit juices for lunch.

My favorite activities were making chocolate (and then eating it! yum!), the waterfall hike, and kayaking through the mangroves. Jose was a fabulous and knowledgeable guide.

Everyone was so friendly and accommodating. The only thing I could have done without was the mosquitos. There are lots of them. But, that comes with the "nature" experience. And the lodge provides a biodegradable, DEET-free repellent that was very effective.

Thanks so much Playa Nicuesa! I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
NicuesaLodge, General Manager at Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2017

Thank you for honoring us with your compliments and wonderful review! We do our best to live and practice sustainability in every way at Nicuesa Lodge. Minimally impacting our natural environment, supporting our local community and region, protecting the wildlife where we are, and living in harmony with the earth are the foundations for our ecolodge. At the same time, we do our best to ensure our guests have a very comfortable vacation with excellent accommodations, great meals and impeccable service.
... And we don't like the mosquitoes much either! But the birds, frogs, etc. that eat them sure do. :-)
We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

My friend and I went for 5 days on the yoga bliss package. We each had a room in the mango guesthouse. From the pickup at the Golfito airport to our drop off on the last day it was perfect in every way. The yoga with Selva was exactly what we were hoping for and focused on asanas and meditation practice. The massage on the yoga deck overlooking the gulf with the sound of the waves and birds was especially relaxing. Selva gave a combination reiki and traditional massage.

We went on 2 tours with Jose - kayaking in the mangrove, and a tour of the Gulf. Both were fantastic - wildlife, snacks on the boat, swimming in the Gulf, information and conversation. Jose also took us paddle boarding the Gulf in the morning which was a blast.

Days we did not go on a tour we were very happy swimming off the pier and relaxing in the hammocks. Each morning we were woken by howler monkeys and fell asleep to the sounds of the rain or the animals in the rainforest. We were also fortunate to see a slideshow on the restoration of reefs in the Gulf. Playa Nicuesa is a great partner in the area and actively supports the research team.

Each meal was delicious, as were the appetizers and the daily drink special in the bar. There were more than enough choices and generally we just asked out waitstaff what they recommended - we were never steered wrong. The coffee was ready before our 6 am yoga class and breakfast was ready when we were done. Every single staff member made us feel welcome and their service was impeccable. We are already planning our return trip and will be staying longer.

Room Tip: We were in the top floor of the mango guest house which had a glimpse of the water and up in the trees.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends

We are honored to have you stay with us. Thank you for your excellent review and descriptions for other travelers. You describe the essence of Nicuesa wonderfully. The Yoga Bliss Package is a wonderful vacation, and you took advantage of your time to harmonize yoga with relaxation, exploring and adventures. Great! We hope your next visit back with us is sooner rather than later.

Reviewed 3 July 2017

My first trip to Playa Nicuesa was such an amazing an experience a return was in order. Playa Nicuesa's remote location requires a boat trip to reach it. Once landed you'll be immersed in Costa Rica's rainforest in its truest sense. Quickly surrounded by the lush dense jungle flora, a cacophony of insects, birds and animals sounds fill the air. Exploration beckons.

We stayed in one of the cabins that set in their own secluded location. An amazing benefit of the cabin is its outdoor shower. The bathroom has an uncovered area that allows you to gaze into the forest canopy while showering. On more than one occasion my morning shower piqued the interest of a group of white face monkeys.

The food was always excellent healthy fare - utilizing local fruits, fish and herbs. Fresh juices are always on hand. A wonderful bar that has a great happy hour awaits each early evening at the main lodge. Guests gather to share photos and stories from their days adventure.

The rainforest rises into the mountains behind Playa Nicuesa. There are miles and miles of trails into the forest. Playa Nicuesa has a number of guides that offer a wealth of information should you wish to have one accompany you on a hike. I also found that I enjoyed hiking alone where I could totally immerse myself in the surroundings. Beyond exploration, there's kayaking, canoeing & fishing. I was fortunate to have combined two of these activities into an unforgettable experience.

One early evening I grabbed a fishing pole, a couple of lures and slid into a kayak. I paddled to an enticing looking point about a half mile away from the Playa Nicuesa dock. A few casts no action and then a strike. The rod bent and whatever was on the end was now pulling the kayak and me along with it. After a few adrenalin filled minutes the fish had tired and I was able to see near him as he neared. It was too big to pull onto the kayak. So, I decided to tow the fish back to Playa Nicuesa. Met at the beach by one of Playa Nicuesa's dock hands, I learned that I caught a red snapper that was in the 15 pound range. The fish was cleaned and taken to the kitchen where it would be part of the following evening's dinner.

Playa Nicuesa left me with cherished memories - what more can you ask for.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank jtarr00
NicuesaLodge, General Manager at Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2017

Welcome back to Nicuesa! How wonderful you could visit us again! And we're so happy we could provide more cherished memories of your adventures and travels. Thank you for your comments and sharing your experience with other travelers. And thanks for the Red Snapper dinner you gave us!! Great fishing!
We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 3 July 2017

I can still recall the sounds of the howler monkeys and the scarlet macaws in the trees surrounding our beautiful room in the Mango Guesthouse at Playa Nicuesa Lodge. We couldn't have imagined a more perfect eco adventure than the week we spent there hiking to waterfalls, snorkelling, kayaking and fishing. The staff was welcoming and attentive; no detail was overlooked -from the hibiscus flowers crowning the fresh towel sculptures left by the housekeeping staff each morning to the well mapped and maintained trails that offered intimate encounters with the amazing wildlife that surrounds the lodge. The food was fresh, local and delicious and they went above and beyond to accommodate my dairy & gluten free diet. We loved the open air living which allowed us to stay in contact with the beautiful surroundings while enjoying the comforts of luxurious accommodations --especially the open air showers. My 10 year old son, who is slightly squeamish, was so excited to share the bathroom with a little bat which helped to keep mosquitoes and bugs at bay while we slept! We were most impressed at how hard Nicuesa works to achieve sustainability -providing its guests with an educational experience of harmonious coexistence within the rainforest environment.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Eva L

We're thrilled you loved your "close encounters" with our amazing wildlife of the rainforest! Bats are such incredible, and useful, creatures. We do our best to provide our guests with all of the comforts possible in the middle of the rainforest while staying true to our 100% sustainable philosophy, and to set the scene for incredible and memorable eco-adventure vacations like yours. Thank you for your compliments and appreciation. We hope you can come back and visit us again someday.