“Great meal and cultural show”

River View Jungle Camp
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,647 helpful votes
“Great meal and cultural show”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I came here as part of a tour group and was treated well from the moment we arrived. The staff were almost too keen to bend over backwards for our every need. We were shepherded into a little room on arrival and told about what tours were on offer and we should book then & there. There is a fine line between being helpful and coming across as pushy. The grounds were huge, as were the rooms. Beds with mosquito nets and large shower rooms. The grounds extend right down to the river, a beautiful place to come and watch sunrise or sunset. We laughed at the spelling mistakes on the menu. We were treated to a cultural show in the gardens one night. Stick dances of the Tharu people, a fire dance and all meticulously explained to us. A very good stay - staff a bit too controlling for independent types.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Nice and helpful owner.
Well educated and perfect english speaking guide (Mr. Mangara).
Pleasant and high standard new rooms in a new building next to the river.
We stayed two nights and every night there had been the Rhino in the garden. One time we approached round about 15 m to the rhino ... very exciting!
The elephant bathing takes place every afternoon right in front of the hotel complex in the river.
Best place to go in Sauraha!

Room Tip: Pay a little bit more and take a room in the new constructed buidling next to the river!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed at River View Jungle Camp for 2 nights and had a thoroughly enjoyable time. All of the staff, including Gopal and Krishna, were very welcoming and attentive from the moment I arrived. They paid attention to every detail to make sure I had an excellent stay. Mangara the local guide at the hotel was very knowledgeable and friendly and provided an excellent introduction to Chitwan. The hotel is conveniently located on the main street, and backs onto the river. So best of all, the elephant bath time takes place right in the backyard of the hotel. There were no rhino visits to the hotel's garden but apparently this has been known to happen before! All in all an excellent place to stay.

Room Tip: The new blocks at the back of the hotel have balconies that overlook the river and elephant bathtime...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed at the resort for two nights at the end of a mountain bike trip in the Himalayas, so this was a radical departure from the scenery of the rest of my Nepal experience. I didn't know what to expect; I had been staying (as expected and welcomed) in very sparse accommodations in the mountains and was expecting something similar for my jungle trip. I was pleasantly surprised and excited to arrive at the River View Jungle Camp and be treated like I was at a vacation resort!

The positives:
1) A friendly and courteous driver met me at the bus stop in Chitwan on time and delivered me to the resort.

2) Upon arrival I was greeted and treated exceptionally well by the management and staff, who prepared a DELICIOUS chicken korma set for me and described the resort and Chitwan history--all while sitting in a beautiful garden gazebo.

3) After a description of the activities that were included with my trip, I discussed alternatives and with the help of the staff, organized an individualized set of activities around my interest. This made the trip personal and much more fun.

4) The food was terrific!! I was so impressed with the kitchen and quality of the food. Extremely good and tasty, always prepared quickly and even had options for vegetarians and however you needed to have certain items prepared.

5) The room... BEAUTIFUL!! Part of my thrill upon arriving at my room was due to my experiences up to that point in tea houses and guest houses in the villages and towns of the Himalayas and Kathmandu, yes, but the room was fantastic. I am seriously impressed. The bed was large, comfortable and clean. The view over the river was outstanding; I could wake up and sit on my balcony drinking the coffee that the staff brought for me, looking out over the glorious Chitwan Jungle. The shower/bathroom was spacious, clean and had plenty of clean towels and hot water.

All in all, this was a terrific experience. I HIGHLY recommend this resort and make sure you tell Krishna "Hello" for me when you see him--he will treat you like royalty.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Invercargill, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 April 2014

It's fantastically located, both next to the river and near the small strip in town to get a meal or a beer. The room was spacious, breakfast was good and the staff were friendly. There is also an exceptionally friendly and kind gardener who showed us rhino tracks in the garden!

The hotel was let down however, by the managers continually pushing extra offers on you, more safaris, cultural shows etc, which are not necessarily best organised through the hotel. Otherwise, great.

• Stayed April 2014
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed here in march this year and was a great place to stay. The garden bungalows are just lovely. Best rooms are those overlooking the river. Rooms large, spotless, big soft beds, big bathroom with plenty of hot water. Restaurant small but the food was excellent. The biggest treat was the rhino that visited some nights , crossing the river to feed in the garden. Also every morning the elephants are brought down to the river just on the riverbank for their morning bath which you can help with. My sister stayed here 20 years ago and was welcomed like old friend. Lovely and attentive staff. They also arranged for a great trip into the park for the day with an very knowledgable guide.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I recently stayed at the River View Jungle Camp in Sauraha, Nepal. I just happened to arrive at a time when they were between big groups. Perhaps that is the reason for the way I was treated but I do not know for sure. In short, I was treated like visiting royalty. The staff was very attentive and helpful, always seeming genuinely interested and concerned that everything was to my liking. They went above and beyond to make my stay great. When I left after a few days, a number of the staff went out of their way to personally thank me for staying there and wished me well in my future life. They were also very helpful with setting up day trips and excursions, making it all simple and easy. As an added bonus, the spot where the elephants bathed was right in front of the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms with view of the river and park are best, but a bit more expensive.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sauraha
Landmark Forest Park
#1 of 31 in Sauraha
Jungle Wildlife Camp
Jungle Wildlife Camp
#4 of 23 in Chitwan National Park

Been to River View Jungle Camp? Share your experiences!