The Lamb Inn
Dial House Hotel(Bourton-on-the-Water)
US$134
Hotels.com
Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa(Stow-on-the-Wold)
US$235
US$181
  • Breakfast included
The Slaughters Manor House(Lower Slaughter)
US$290
US$184
US$175
US$235
Lords of the Manor Hotel(The Slaughters)
US$208
US$107
Burford House(Burford)
US$168
  • Breakfast included
The Bull at Burford(Burford)(Great Value!)
US$126
Hotels.com
All reviewslambthe pubgarden suitesmall villagethree nightsstable roomold buildingbar arealovely roommain buildinglow ceilingsevening mealfull englishlovely mealweekend breaklovely locationfantastic food
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Have just spent a very enjoyable weekend here. The Lamb is an old Cotswold stone inn at the centre of a picture-postcard pretty village quietly situated a few miles off the main tourist trail. We were warmly welcomed, given information on mealtimes etc and shown to our room , the Rissington suite. It had a large sitting room with comfortable leather sofa and armchair, and a huge inglenook fireplace. The bedroom was a little smaller but fine, with a comfortable 4poster, adequate hanging and drawer space, and a compact recently fitted en-suite with a double size electronic power-shower with lighting that changed colours. There was no bath, but I believe some of the other rooms do have, if that is important to you.
The cooked breakfasts were good, with the best bacon and eggs I have had for ages. They don't start serving until 8.30, which could be a problem for some, and the service, although pleasant could have been swifter. We ate in on both evenings of our stay, and thoroughly enjoyed the meals. The menu didn't change much, but as we liked everything on the menu we were spoiled for choice. It was particularly strong on fish, and the lobster and crab starter was sublime. There was a good wine list with some excellent inexpensive options.
I didn't give the Lamb 5 stars as there were a few niggles with the room. It was on the ground floor, and the bedroom window was right by a seating area. I came back one afternoon hoping for a little lie down to find 6 people sitting looking in- not very relaxing! Also the stairs went up alongside the lounge area, creating very loud creaks when people used them. The bathroom of the room above us was also over the lounge, and we could hear every bathroom sound (I won't be more graphic!) as if it were in our room.Luckily the bedroom was quieter- but did suffer from a hum from 2 green ?boilers ?ventilation units situated by the window, that also gave off a smell of oil, so we couldn't have the window open. Minor ponts, but present nevertheless and detracting from the experience
We would like to return, and perhaps chose an upstairs room next time

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Levoyageur
TheLambInndotcom, Owner at The Lamb Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and that you found your stay "almost perfect". Using the best of local produce is the reason you had the "best bacon and eggs for ages" and our fish delivered from Brixham guaranteed from the ocean to us within 36 hours.
I appreciate your comments regarding the creaking staircase and noises from rooms above, unfortunately they were not quite up to speed on sound proofing when the inn was built over 360 years ago! I have tried to use heavily backed soundproof underlay wherever possible but a difficult task with a building so old.
Perhaps the Windrush suite for your next visit, top floor, king-size bed spa bath and over shower and I will do my best to make this stay "perfect!"

Reviewed 13 August 2012

Lovely accommodation in a 300 year old Inn in a quiet Cotswold village away from the more touristy villages. We spent one night in room five (the double room above the bar) and enjoyed every minute of our stay.

The staff were friendly and attentive without being overbearing. We enjoyed a few pints of local lager in the garden outside and then ate a hearty meal in the restaurant. As it's the only restaurant in the village it pays to book for dinner if you're not planning on heading to nearby Bourton-on-the-water. The servings were plentiful and the selection varied. Our room was very modern despite the age of the inn and the bathroom was spacious considering the low ceilings.

Room Tip: Unless you're after a four poster bed, room five with the double is plenty big enough for two.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GeriNZ

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback and I'm delighted you enjoyed your time with us.
It's always great to hear positive feedback from our smaller rooms, as you mentioned the inn is over 300 years old and room size didnt seem a priority back then! We have tried to keep the decor and furnishings in-keeping with the Coyswolds area but with modern twist.

Reviewed 11 August 2012

When you love the Coswolds then you sometimes forgive small misgivings and accept that everything cannot be perfect 100% of the time.
My booking at The Lamb Inn was on the back of reading good reviews on the Internet and also being unable to find my first choice of self-catering cottage for a short stay.
The things I cannot fault are the service and the food. The staff are very friendly, very helpful and a credit to the Inn. The food is some of the best country Inn food I have had in years and the rib-eye steak was the best I have had anywhere in the last 10 years. All plates were well presented and portions were generous. Cannot fault the restaurant.
The room on first impressions was positive however after about 15 mins you start to see a few things that make you think twice. There were a fair few cobwebs around the room which should be picked up through daily cleaning. There was no toilet roll holder, just a shelf to put it on - not ideal. The shower pressure was superb however the drainage was slow which meant water quickly filled the tray. I also noticed water under the laminate in the bathroom which makes me think the shower tray was leaking elsewhere - not great.
Also the large mirror over the hand basin was only held to the wall on string - I find this an unnecessary risk especially as the light pull means that you knock the mirror every time.
The bed was comfy and the room still had a nice feel but I felt it could be improved.
The Inn is in excellent surroundings, the gardens are lovely and is a great choice for some quiet time away. You can find places like this all through the Cotswolds and I am glad I found this one.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ian K

Thank you for your review and that you enjoyed a pleasant stay in sumptuous surroundings.
We pride ourselves on our food and service and for you to state "the food is some of the best country inn food I have had in years and the rib-eye steak was the best I have had anywhere in the last 10 years" is just what we love to hear and proves using the best of local produces really makes a huge difference.

I have tried to maximise the facilities within the smaller bedrooms but didn't quite realise not having a loo roll holder and a mirror secured by picture wire was an issue and worth mentioning in a review but this is something I can put my maintenance team on and put right.

Reviewed 4 August 2012

Typing this whilst sitting at the bar. Very helpfull and friendly staff and approachable manager. Our second time here and we were going to go our for the afternoon but we have decided to chill here.

If you want an escape then why not visit. Handy enough for a visit for bourton but nice that you are away from it all.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Gordon R

Thank you for your comments and I'm delighted you enjoyed a nice, quiet and friendly experience. We feel our location in the village of Great Rissington is perfect as all the local villages and attractions are just a short drive away.
Paul and all at The Lamb

Reviewed 2 August 2012

Very old building, slightly too expensive for what it offers. Bathroom w/o window, toilet flushing proved quite an adventure, restaurant good food, breakfast OK. Some noise comes from guests talking quite loudly on the terrace if you happen to get a room on the road. Quite some waiting time before staff actually shows up, there is a bell, but no one comes, so I called "hello" after alomst walking into the kitchen....

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for you comments all be it with mixed messages. Being a very old building some of our toilets are within the rooms so do not have windows and I really cannot see how this is an issues, most hotels/inns have the shower/toilet facilites within the rooms and you are the first to note this in the many hundreds of reviews I have received. Again we are a counrty inn basically a great pub offering great food and with superb rooms and not a hotel with a dedicated reception area. Myself and my staff pride ourselves on customer service so I'm sorry if you had a slight delay when checking in we were obviously dealing with other customers. Its a shame you didnt give more info on the "good restaurant food" you enjoyed.