“Lovely peaceful location and pet friendly.”
Review of The Lamb Inn

South Coombe
“Lovely peaceful location and pet friendly.”
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We booked the Lamb Inn for a short break because of the location (away from the tourists at Bourton on the Water 3 miles away) and the fact that they allowed pets. When I rang to enquire about the booking I was given lots of information about the accommodation and the area which helped the decision making process. We were greeted by a friendly member of staff and she made us feel welcome. We stayed in the Rissington suite which was perfect for us, lots of space, comfy leather sofa and functional. Good quality furniture in the bedroom and the bathroom had a large shower, not a tiny cubicle. Funky lighting in the shower and around the mirror above the basin.
We enjoyed our meals in the restaurant and were spoilt for choice when deciding. Most of the items on the menu were locally sourced and presented nicely. We were there with friends so we were able to sample most things on the menu. We found the service very good and the staff were attentive but not overbearing. The staff were also well informed about the menu and were happy to discuss menu options.
The weather was kind and we were able to take afternoon tea in the enclosed garden and later a post walk drink! There is a great 3 mile (ish) circular walk from The Lamb Inn, just ask for the map.
I asked if I could see the Garden suites before we left which we may consider if we book again. These are lovely suites away from the main buildings and again furnished to a very high standard. The pictures on the web site do not do the rooms justice, far nicer and we were pleasantly surprised.
The only negative aspect was the decor in the main entrance hall through to the main bar and restaurant. This area could do with a re vamp as it is the first area that the guests see.
Overall we had a lovely short break with our friends and Tilly the dog.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jonquil B
TheLambInndotcom, Owner at The Lamb Inn, responded to this review, 13 October 2012
Thank you for your kind words and I'm delighted you enjoyed your time with with us. Its great to hear you felt spoilt for choice with our menu options and staff were well informed and happy to discuss and arrange menu options for you. I have taken a fresh look at the entrance hall way and have to agree it does need refurbishing its one of the first guests see and first impressions do count. I hope to complete a revamp in the next month or two so your positive comments do count!

Paul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Billingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We stayed from 16-19 August in the Bourton Suite. This is at the front of the building with twin windows making for a well lit room. The furnishings were high quality, solid wood cabinets.

Everything was well presented and modern, spotless and fresh but didnt spoil the charm of the original building.

A large car-park makes it easy to leave your car securely off the road (important as you have to remember this is a village and the roads are narrow).

The staff are wonderful, friendly and cant do enough for you and you can tell they are happy working there, it shows.

The building is stone and set down from the road so you dont feel overlooked sitting outside with a drink before dinner, there is a beer garden to the side and another at the rear, plenty of seating to relax in and it gives you a veiw of the side of the hotel with a bay window overlooking the garden. You just dont want to move, tidy but not prim the area also has a play area for children and a path to the garden rooms.

Just loved the place, the restaurant is busy but not cowded and the service is attentive but not overbearing. Be prepared to be spoiled by the menu - lots of choice and all beautifully presented and prepared, you will put on weight lol! Everything about this place says quality without pretence - you get what you pay for and the prices are very reasonable.

Ive read that people complain about daft things, being able to hear people outside chatting from their rooms, sometimes you can but it is a public house and popular with locals too, always busy but not rowdy, just brisk, healthy and justified business going on.

Well placed for travel to all surrounding areas and attractions (enjoyed the trip on the train to Cheltenham Race course and onwards) and you must not miss Bourton on the Water, a treat in so many ways, with the stream running through and like a chocolate box. Visit the Motor Museum while you are there! then relax by the river with a cream tea.

The Lamb Inn is a gem, quiet area but still full of local life going on, wonderful staff, fabulous food decent prices and kept and run with pride. If you dont visit you will of missed an experience worth having.

The only thing I didnt like was having to leave,... I want to go back again soon.

If you are normal you wont have any gripes, if you complain about places that are better than your home when away then stay away you will just spoil it for the rest of us.

Room Tip: Look on the Hotel's own site too choose - we were in the Bourton Suite.
3 Thank Graeme H
Marlborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Have just spent a very enjoyable weekend here. The Lamb is an old Cotswold stone inn at the centre of a picture-postcard pretty village quietly situated a few miles off the main tourist trail. We were warmly welcomed, given information on mealtimes etc and shown to our room , the Rissington suite. It had a large sitting room with comfortable leather sofa and armchair, and a huge inglenook fireplace. The bedroom was a little smaller but fine, with a comfortable 4poster, adequate hanging and drawer space, and a compact recently fitted en-suite with a double size electronic power-shower with lighting that changed colours. There was no bath, but I believe some of the other rooms do have, if that is important to you.
The cooked breakfasts were good, with the best bacon and eggs I have had for ages. They don't start serving until 8.30, which could be a problem for some, and the service, although pleasant could have been swifter. We ate in on both evenings of our stay, and thoroughly enjoyed the meals. The menu didn't change much, but as we liked everything on the menu we were spoiled for choice. It was particularly strong on fish, and the lobster and crab starter was sublime. There was a good wine list with some excellent inexpensive options.
I didn't give the Lamb 5 stars as there were a few niggles with the room. It was on the ground floor, and the bedroom window was right by a seating area. I came back one afternoon hoping for a little lie down to find 6 people sitting looking in- not very relaxing! Also the stairs went up alongside the lounge area, creating very loud creaks when people used them. The bathroom of the room above us was also over the lounge, and we could hear every bathroom sound (I won't be more graphic!) as if it were in our room.Luckily the bedroom was quieter- but did suffer from a hum from 2 green ?boilers ?ventilation units situated by the window, that also gave off a smell of oil, so we couldn't have the window open. Minor ponts, but present nevertheless and detracting from the experience
We would like to return, and perhaps chose an upstairs room next time

3 Thank Levoyageur
TheLambInndotcom, Owner at The Lamb Inn, responded to this review, 25 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and that you found your stay "almost perfect". Using the best of local produce is the reason you had the "best bacon and eggs for ages" and our fish delivered from Brixham guaranteed from the ocean to us within 36 hours.
I appreciate your comments regarding the creaking staircase and noises from rooms above, unfortunately they were not quite up to speed on sound proofing when the inn was built over 360 years ago! I have tried to use heavily backed soundproof underlay wherever possible but a difficult task with a building so old.
Perhaps the Windrush suite for your next visit, top floor, king-size bed spa bath and over shower and I will do my best to make this stay "perfect!"

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Lovely accommodation in a 300 year old Inn in a quiet Cotswold village away from the more touristy villages. We spent one night in room five (the double room above the bar) and enjoyed every minute of our stay.

The staff were friendly and attentive without being overbearing. We enjoyed a few pints of local lager in the garden outside and then ate a hearty meal in the restaurant. As it's the only restaurant in the village it pays to book for dinner if you're not planning on heading to nearby Bourton-on-the-water. The servings were plentiful and the selection varied. Our room was very modern despite the age of the inn and the bathroom was spacious considering the low ceilings.

Room Tip: Unless you're after a four poster bed, room five with the double is plenty big enough for two.
1 Thank GeriNZ
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback and I'm delighted you enjoyed your time with us.
It's always great to hear positive feedback from our smaller rooms, as you mentioned the inn is over 300 years old and room size didnt seem a priority back then! We have tried to keep the decor and furnishings in-keeping with the Coyswolds area but with modern twist.
United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2012 via mobile

When you love the Coswolds then you sometimes forgive small misgivings and accept that everything cannot be perfect 100% of the time.
My booking at The Lamb Inn was on the back of reading good reviews on the Internet and also being unable to find my first choice of self-catering cottage for a short stay.
The things I cannot fault are the service and the food. The staff are very friendly, very helpful and a credit to the Inn. The food is some of the best country Inn food I have had in years and the rib-eye steak was the best I have had anywhere in the last 10 years. All plates were well presented and portions were generous. Cannot fault the restaurant.
The room on first impressions was positive however after about 15 mins you start to see a few things that make you think twice. There were a fair few cobwebs around the room which should be picked up through daily cleaning. There was no toilet roll holder, just a shelf to put it on - not ideal. The shower pressure was superb however the drainage was slow which meant water quickly filled the tray. I also noticed water under the laminate in the bathroom which makes me think the shower tray was leaking elsewhere - not great.
Also the large mirror over the hand basin was only held to the wall on string - I find this an unnecessary risk especially as the light pull means that you knock the mirror every time.
The bed was comfy and the room still had a nice feel but I felt it could be improved.
The Inn is in excellent surroundings, the gardens are lovely and is a great choice for some quiet time away. You can find places like this all through the Cotswolds and I am glad I found this one.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank iankearns
Thank you for your review and that you enjoyed a pleasant stay in sumptuous surroundings.
We pride ourselves on our food and service and for you to state "the food is some of the best country inn food I have had in years and the rib-eye steak was the best I have had anywhere in the last 10 years" is just what we love to hear and proves using the best of local produces really makes a huge difference.

I have tried to maximise the facilities within the smaller bedrooms but didn't quite realise not having a loo roll holder and a mirror secured by picture wire was an issue and worth mentioning in a review but this is something I can put my maintenance team on and put right.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Typing this whilst sitting at the bar. Very helpfull and friendly staff and approachable manager. Our second time here and we were going to go our for the afternoon but we have decided to chill here.

If you want an escape then why not visit. Handy enough for a visit for bourton but nice that you are away from it all.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Gordon R
Thank you for your comments and I'm delighted you enjoyed a nice, quiet and friendly experience. We feel our location in the village of Great Rissington is perfect as all the local villages and attractions are just a short drive away.
Paul and all at The Lamb
holland
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Very old building, slightly too expensive for what it offers. Bathroom w/o window, toilet flushing proved quite an adventure, restaurant good food, breakfast OK. Some noise comes from guests talking quite loudly on the terrace if you happen to get a room on the road. Quite some waiting time before staff actually shows up, there is a bell, but no one comes, so I called "hello" after alomst walking into the kitchen....

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for you comments all be it with mixed messages. Being a very old building some of our toilets are within the rooms so do not have windows and I really cannot see how this is an issues, most hotels/inns have the shower/toilet facilites within the rooms and you are the first to note this in the many hundreds of reviews I have received. Again we are a counrty inn basically a great pub offering great food and with superb rooms and not a hotel with a dedicated reception area. Myself and my staff pride ourselves on customer service so I'm sorry if you had a slight delay when checking in we were obviously dealing with other customers. Its a shame you didnt give more info on the "good restaurant food" you enjoyed.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Rissington
Lords of the Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in The Slaughters
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,047 reviews
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
The Slaughters Manor House
The Slaughters Manor House
#2 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
Chester House Hotel
Chester House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Bourton-on-the-Water

Been to The Lamb Inn? Share your experiences!