“Quaint”
Review of The Lamb Inn

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Very old Inn in the Cotswolds,but don't be deterred by exterior,inside is a lovely Inn.The rooms are great,staff very friendly and very peaceful,away from all the tour buses.
Highly recommend this Inn.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
TheLambInndotcom, Owner at The Lamb Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Thank you for your review and I'm pleased you experienced a "lovely inn", scored us top marks in all categories and can "Highly recommend this inn". Reading your comments makes all the hard work worthwhile.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed two nights here. Excellent staff - very friendly and attentive. Dinner on the first night was outstanding. We had high hopes for the second night as there is a daily menu but were a little disappointed when the menu was basically the same. We stayed in the Windrush suite which was very comfortable but the shower was a bit odd as it was very difficult not to flood the bathroom. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. My chefs have created a seasonal supper menu that will run till early December. Using the best of local produce to offer eight starters, ten mains and six dessert choices we do feel this is plenty to give you an "outstanding" meal each night.
I'm delighted you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and I will look into the shower optionsfor the Windrush suite, with the room being in the highest part of the Inn it was a little tricky fitting the shower curtains over and around the spa bath within the exposed beams.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

To Paul and staff: amazing stay, beautiful food and thank you for the free upgrade. Yes, Star is a big dog and we didn't even need to ask for a bigger room. Can't wait to see you all again soon and would advise anyone to stay here for personal service.

Lisa, Tim and Star from Barry, South Wales

Room Tip: just turn up and it will probably be offered
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi Lisa and Tim and of course the wonderful Star!
Thank you for your kind words and that you enjoyed an "amazing stay" with us we all look forward to welcoming you back soon. Delighted you and Star enjoyed the complimentary upgrade we do try to offer whenever possible (we had an even bigger dog in over the weekend. he was a two year old 12 stone pure black Newfoundland named Chewbacca and absolutely gorgeous!)

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Myself anf my husband stayed her on September 20th for out 10 year Wedding Anniversary. We had a lovely time thanks to the wonderful staff and mouth watering food, would recommend this highly. Cant wait to go back

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and I'm delighted you had a lovely time experiencing wonderful staff and mouth watering food whilst celebrating your 10th wedding anniversary with us.
We all look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon

Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

What a beautiful inn , we stayed in the rissington suite and it was just beautiful, service, food,staff had no faults.
Would 100% recommend and definitely go there again.
Bourbon-on-the-water is such a pretty village and a cream tea is a must

• Stayed: September 2013

"Absolutely perfect" is just what we love to read! Thank you for your review and that you would 100% recommend and definitely wish a return visit. Hope to see you sometime in the near future

Reviewed 13 September 2013

This is one of my more difficult reviews to write as the staff were all very obliging but we were a bit disappointed with the overall experience. We were is the Rissington Suite on the ground floor which was spacious with a shower ensuite. The room was reasonably clean although the carpets must be due for a clean. As we were staying for 5 nights we had clothes to hang up but the very small cupboard was inadequate, I suppose most people only stay overnight so this is not a problem. It is a very old pub so you have to expect squeaky floorboards etc. but it did feel like the people upstairs were going to come through the ceilings when they moved about, there was also a very noisy fan which woke us up about 3 times a night. Breakfast was well cooked with friendly service, but we understand that we were the first to try the new evening menu and it didn't quite work, I am sure they will make changes as the weeks pass. We would certainally not say don't stay at this pub but be aware it might not live up to some of the other reviews on tripadvisor.

Room Tip: Ground floor rissington suite is noisey.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review but disappointed regarding some comments. Yes The Lamb Inn is a very old building over 360 years old so creaky floor boards, windy staircases and sloppy corridors are part of the charm and one I am not apologizing for. I have inspected the room and cannot see how you can say the carpet needs cleaning, apart from one small black shoe mark it looks perfect and has only been down just over 12 months and I'm also confused about the fan that woke you up 3 times in the night. The only fan near your bedroom is the extractor in your ensuite,
The boilers are positioned externally quite close but they go off at 10:30pm and back on for 7.30am.
I can see how staying five nights you are limited for hanging space so have purchased a hanging rail for guests to use while I investigate making the wardrobe larger.
I am confident your review will not stop people staying with us as I'm sure they will also read the one headed "Absolutely perfect" as this reviewer also stayed in the Rissington suite and noted "it was just beautiful"

Reviewed 9 September 2013

The Lamb Inn definitely exceeded our expectations - my mum & I were upgraded to the Shelbourne Suite, which was more like a larger room than what one might consider a "suite" in a hotel that is younger than, say, 150 years or so. This place has real character - and that's not just a reference to the crazy disco lighting in the bathroom!

It was overcast and drizzling while we were there so we didn't get to enjoy the gardens or grounds much - but our room was spacious enough that my mom & I could change & relax without being on top of each other. The pub was fantastic - and Chef James makes incredible food.

Having provided a heads-up that we are both vegan, Chef James got on the case and put together two superb meals for us for both nights -- a delicious gazpacho preceded excellent gnocchi with peas and wild mushrooms on our arrival; a really great salad with beets and a delicious risotto for our second night. Chef James was friendly and informative - I enjoyed talking food with him. His philosophy is to source local seasonal ingredients as much as possible - and to prepare good food simply, nutritiously and deliciously so that the flavors come through, instead of drowning things in complicated preparations.

The staff at Lamb Inn were really lovely and super -- they attended all our requests and needs with smiles and efficiency.

Do be warned - that as an older building, it's not as brightly lit as newer buildings and the stairs have a low ceiling (watch your head). I lost a silver hoop earring the first night and I swear it popped off in the room when I changed shirts but I couldn't find it (so if you find one in the Shelbourne suite, it's probably mine!).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind words and I'm delighted that you and mum enjoyed an "Excellent B&B and outstanding (vegan friendly) Dining!" Head chef James and his team will do all they can to cater for all dietary requirements whilst using the best of local produce.
Will keep an eye out for your earring, I also had a chuckle that you mentioned the "crazy disco lighting in the shower" subtle mood lighting is what I call it!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Rissington
The Maytime Inn
The Maytime Inn
#1 of 8 in Burford
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Restaurant
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Rest...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to The Lamb Inn? Share your experiences!