“Wow, great service, great food, superb contemporary yet classic style”
Review of The Lamb Inn

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I went for a pie and some food last night. Wow! You should definitely check this place out. Paul and jack have just completed a lovely refurbishment of the place. A fresh contemporary feel but without losing any of the classic cotswold tradition and charm. The food was equally stunning. I had the fresh homemade burger and chunky fries; top notch (and I've eaten a few top notch gastro nice burgers in my time !). The right price too, £10.50. Highly recommend the lamb to anyone. Great food, great company from Jack and Paul who own/run the place, and a wonderful contemporary yet cosy and classic style.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
TheLambInndotcom, Owner at The Lamb Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review and I'm delighted you had a "wow" time with us. Your comments regarding our recent refurb are just what I wanted to achieve. A fresh uplifting feel but maintaining the classic traditional Cotswold charm (we had Rustic Chic in mind when undertaking the project!)
I look forward to welcoming you back soon for more great food and great company.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed in the Rissington Suite for 2 nights, and like one other reviewer commented, a little more attention to dusting is required. Although the suite is lovely, with a four poster bed which was extremely comfortable, there is no privacy due to the windows looking out onto communal areas. Its proxitmity to the outside door & reception also made it very noisy. However, that said the staff were very friendly and the food was fantastic. The bar, which appears to be new is very nice and we enjoyed a meal in there on Friday evening. Hubby had the fish & chips and I had the burger - probably the best we've had in a while. The triple cooked chips were amazing. A few steps down from the bar took you to the restaurant where we ate on Saturday evening. Unfortunately this was a small soul-less room - I can't quite put my finger on what was missing but it was lacking 'something'. The menu was the same as the one in the bar, so it didn't feel very special, although once again both the food & service were exceptional. Overall we had a lovely time, and despite some of the niggles I've mentioned, we would return but would select a different room.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and I'm delighted you had "a lovely weekend break" and would plan a return visit. We have just undertaken a major bar and restaurant refurbishment that has been exceptionally well received, on the down side of this is the amount of dust that seems to get everywhere in and around the entire building. My house keepers seem to be constantly dusting and hoovering weeks after the completion and apologies if you felt this was an area than needed attention, it is one of the challenges of having an inn 360 years old. I can put your comments of a "soul-less" restaurant to rest as at the time you visited I had not finished the soft furnishings but now the stags head, large guilt mirror and distressed hand painted pictures are in place and I'm sure its a room you will enjoy. I have passed on your comments to my staff "both the food and service were exceptional" and your dinner on Friday night "probably the best we've had in a while" as this is exactly what we strive to achieve. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Lamb Inn soon.

Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Our third visit to The Lamb and this time was better than the last two which were great. We arrived to be given a free upgraded room. The room was fantastic great bathroom, bed everything.

We had lunch on arrival beautiful mushroom and duck egg on toast. Great cheese sandwich.

Following lunch and with a slight leak due to the very bad weather we were kindly upgraded again to a fantastic suite with an even better room thing were getting better by the moment.

Loved the bathrooms with the changeable light in the shower felt like a party in the shower little Vegas. All very good.

Dinner arrived and the waitress Morgain was fantastic she told us the specials and we choose well. For starters crispy duck egg mouth watering tasty food. Followed by for me sea bass with crab oh my fresh tasty, for my husband a burger as big as his hand and he enjoyed every piece with triple cooked chips
Pudding followed and got better. I had the chocolate nemesis which was great. Marc had the custard tart which he described as very good.

Breakfast was just as good as we remembered and again we were very impressed with Morgain.

Thank you so much all at the Lamb your new look is wonderful. I would recommend The Lamb to all who like great food, wonderful staff and brilliant rooms.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Terrie D

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review and I'm delighted that on your third visit we keep getting better! It is our policy to upgrade whenever possible and the colour changing lights in the Sherbourne suites shower always get a fun comment or two.
I'm especially pleased of "your new look is wonderful. I would recommend The Lamb to all who like great food, wonderful staff and brilliant rooms" it makes all the hard work very worthwhile and I have passed on your comments to my staff.
I look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon for your fourth visit!

Reviewed 18 January 2014

My wife and I (plus DJ the dachshund) stayed at The Lamb on 17/01/14. We had been looking for dog friendly pub accomodation in the Cotswolds and decided to try The Lamb Inn at Great Rissington and are we glad we did,or what?

We received a warm welcome from the staff and were shown to our room, the Windrush Suite. It was lovely and cosey. The bar and restaurant have been newly refurbished to a high standard with a great selection of real ales,so i was more than happy! We chatted to Paul (the owner). A really friendly chap who is obviously very passionate about his business.

We reserved a table in the bar for an evening meal. This is recommended as by 7.00 pm the bar was filling up nicely. Seated next to the log burner we ordered from the specials board. Cheese and bacon topped burger with triple cooked chips for me, whilst my wife chose the steak & mushroon pie with mash. The portions were very generous and both dishes were of exellent quality and value for money. Washed down with a couple of pints,i couldn't manage a sweet. My wife,however,decided to try the chocolate brownie with raspberry sorbet. This was no ordinary dish.......absolutely delicious!!

By now, we were both ready for bed. DJ on the otherhand was more interested in making friends with the locals. We had to drag him away,otherwise we'd still be there ! A long day had caught up with us and as soon as our heads hit the pillow,that was it ...ZZZzzzzzzzzzz. We slept soundly in a very comfy bed !

In the morning,fresh from polishing off a super full english for breakfast, we said our goodbyes,safe in the knowledge that we would return one day to this little gem of a place.

Recommended to all.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Gloucesterjack1969
TheLambInndotcom, Owner at The Lamb Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and I'm delighted you enjoyed your time with us. We all loved DJ and look forward to him returning soon.
The refurb is almost complete, indeed as I type this reply the new granite bar tops are being fitted and the curtains and soft furnishings planned for Friday. I am thrilled with the response and see it as a great investment for the next five years.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to our "little gem of a place" sometime soon.
Paul, the staff and all DJ's friends at The Lamb

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We have stayed at The Lamb Inn previously as a couple and during our last visit, decided to book for new year. After recommending The Lamb Inn to friends and family members, 14 of us (+ one dog..!) decided to book on the New Year's Eve package which included x2nights bed, breakfast and dinner. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definitely be returning. The food was delicious on both nights and the service we received from all members of staff was exceptional. We were made to feel very welcome. Huge thanks to Paul, Morgan and Justine in particular. We can't wait to return..!
Christy & Rob Bennett (on behalf of our friends, family and Cinders the dog..!) x

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank robbie1962
TheLambInndotcom, Owner at The Lamb Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Dear Christy, Rob, Cinders (the dog!) and the rest of your gang.........thank you for your kind words and that you, your friends and family had a memorable time with us over the new year festivities. My chefs certainly pulled out all the stops with the 10 courses taster menu with fantastic feedback from all that attended.
One of my highlights was when the whole bar sang happy birthday to Brian 81 years young and the senior member of your party just after auld lang syne on New years eve! Fabulous
I look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon.
Paul and all the team at The Lamb Inn

Reviewed 15 December 2013

We stayed here on 13/12/2013 for one night to break up a journey to Southampton to pick up parents from a cruise.
We stayed in one of the Garden Rooms, 'Millies', and I have to say for the price paid we were very impressed. The room was large and comfortable with a modern bathroom, flat screen TV (of a size that you can actually see, unlike some other places we have stayed).
The Restaurant was fully booked for the night we stayed (being this close to Christmas we were not surprised), however, we were offered a table in the bar area, which we accepted, and again was very happy with this.
We were offered the choice to upgrade to DBB for an additional £25 per person, a Christmas 3 course menu for £25 per person, or the option to just make a selection off the menu if we just wanted a main and desert. We opted for the latter, and just went with a main each and then shared a cheese board between us. My girlfriend opted for the Lamb shoulder which, she could not manage all of it, but did rate it to be very good. I had the pork which was also very good. The presentation was superb, and quantity was more than enough.
We took drinks back to our room after dinner, and although there was a function going on in the restaurant, we were not disturbed by any noise.
We had breakfast the following morning, and my only criticism would be that the 'local' sausage was a little 'strong', but this is just a personal preference, everything else was to the standard that we would expect from a 5 star establishment.
All the staff were very efficient and friendly, the room was spotless, and the overall stay a pleasure.
Would we return - a definite yes.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 007Wolverhampton
TheLambInndotcom, Owner at The Lamb Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Thank you for your kind words and I'm delighted you enjoyed a "superb" stay with us. We do all we can to deliver great service and I'm pleased you could compare us to 5 star establishments in all that we offer. We look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon.

Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

Fabulous little inn with excellent accommodation. And food and beer superb as well. Also, happy to have your pet dog as well, well worth a trip. Local walks a pleasure too, with great views if local countryside, with Boulton on the Water a leisurely stroll through the fields, dodging the pheasants.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words and taking the time to leave a five star review, I'm delighted you found us to be "a fabulous little inn with excellent accommodation and superb food and beer" this is just what we strive to be. We are dog friendly as they are part of many families and can also enjoy all the local delights, villages and walks the Cotswold's has to offer.
Kind regards
Paul and the Lamb Inn team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Rissington
Lords of the Manor Hotel
Lords of the Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in The Slaughters
#1 of 1 in Shipton under Wychwood

Been to The Lamb Inn? Share your experiences!