“Beautiful Thatched Kro.”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Christiansfeld
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Thatched Kro.”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We stayed at this Kro as I was competing in a sports event in the area, looked up Kros nearby, and selected this one from its website. We were to have B & B only, but Danes told me that it had a good reputation for food, and we liked to explore more of the area, so stayed another night with dinner.
I would always recommend staying in a Kro in Denmark instead of a hotel - they are generally smaller, more personal, give better service, and the food is mostly good traditional Danish of high quality; they are almost always cheaper as well.
We had a standard double room, as you can see from the photograph, far above standard hotel fare. The whole of this very large Kro was thatched. The décor was quite traditional apart from the wardrobe, the shower good, towels large and thick-ish, changed each day; and there were toiletries. There was a minibar in the room as well as a water dispenser in the corridor with hot and cold water, and the necessaries for making hot drinks.
Breakfasts were in the garden room with a good choice of cereals, fruit juices, hot food, cold meats, cheese and various types of bread: plenty to eat. There was a machine for self-service cappuccinos/lattes etc . plus hot water for tea. English-type tea seemed to be in short supply –after asking the first day one teabag was forthcoming; however, the second day the waitress had remembered and brought 2 along for my hubby – thoughtful. Many Danes seem to think that English tea = Earl Grey, for some that may be the case, but we always ask to English breakfast (sort) tea. The logistical arrangement of the breakfast was eminently suitable for a constant dribble of customers; but when they appeared en masse queues ensued due to the narrow aperture at the food end of the room.
We booked a table for dinner the night before and were glad we did as the place was packed. The food was expensive if one chose the gourmet menu – 428 kroner for a three course menu (nearly £50) per person and the same again for the accompanying wines. For the 8 –course menu the price was something 875 kroner (over £100) for the food, with wines the same price. I felt the fact that the food and wine were exactly the same price rather confusing – it would be clearer if they were different prices, particularly to non-Danes. We had a good appetizer and bread to start. Our starter was hake with a beautiful crust : delicious. Main course was a beautiful fillet of beef with decent gravy served with potato gratin and cauliflower – sounds lovely but although the cauliflower was warm and crispy, it was slightly pickled so I didn’t feel it complemented the beef; also the potato had a topping of coconut and crushed hazelnuts –again for me the taste/texture clashed rather. Dessert was a small piece of bakewell tart (called marazine) with mascapone ice-cream and strawberry sorbet with small caramel pieces – good!
With the meal we had half a bottle of Muscadet sur Lie and the house red that we tried the evening before and found very acceptable. Wine portions were generous with only 4 glasses coming out of one bottle so we didn’t mind paying what seemed to be an inflated price at first glance. We had a dessert wine each and hubby a cognac with coffee. The Kro obviously specialise in the gourmet side of food. The staff seemed to enjoy what they were doing and were very knowledgeable.
Christiansfeld was perfectly situated for an evening stroll after dinner and is an interesting, historical place – worth a visit,; and Tyrstrup Kro a good place to base oneself.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carol I

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
Reviewed 6 October 2012 via mobile

This place is a beautiful old inn with very good food and the best and honest service, I have ever had. There was thought of every detail, such as deodorant and other toiletries in the restaurant bathroom, very nice snacks at the tables, good magazines in the hallway, and even headache pills in the delicious breakfast buffet (loads of weddings and parties celebrated here). The best was the owner's attentiveness to all the guests. I am pregnant, and when my husband had him choose a wine menu to go with the (wonderful!!!) food, he chose a menu of fresh organic juices for me - fitting in colour with my husband's wine. This and other examples of the like made me - and my husband - feel very welcome, and we are definitely coming back. We surely recommend this place. (A little minus - and the only reason for not giving an overall grade 5) was the cleaning in our room which wasn't horrible, but also not quite up to the standards of the rest of the stay. I'm sure it must have been a slip).

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Mus79
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 20 June 2012

We stayed here one night during our way down to Alsace. I must say that it is a small gem just 2 min drive from E45, convinient when you are on your way from Skandinavia to southern Europe. We stayed in a room with jacuzzi. The room was clean and spatious. During our stay there were 2 weddings and one other celebration but that didn't bother us at all. I think that the Kro is very crowded during spring and summer weekends due to all the weddings they seem to have. The food was very good and they hade large portions. Good wine by the glass.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank carpediemgolfer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansfeld
Hotel Koldingfjord
Sinatur Hotel Haraldskaer
Hindsgavl Slot
Hindsgavl Slot
#1 of 10 in Middelfart

Been to Tyrstrup Kro? Share your experiences!