“snowmobilers paradise!!!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dwight
Peterborough, Canada
“snowmobilers paradise!!!”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Fantastic time had by the 9 of us!
Arrived late Saturday evening after a 10 hour day of snowmobiling.
Restaurant was kept open beyond their regular hours to feed our famished bellies and was a fabulous dinner had by all (the schnitzel is delicious)
Trying to schedule in another visit before the snow melts

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the spacious, comfortable suites and were very pleased with the accommodation. W...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Sunderland
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Our group of 7 snowmobilers stayed for one night in January. Our rooms were large and comfortable and the food in restaurant was great for both dinner and breakfast. Friendly staff and owners made for an enjoyable stay

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We have stayed here before and we knew we would have a great rest. Excellent location, and great food and friendly staff. Very clean and has a microwave/fridge for nibbles! Lots of good info available from the staff. Really good schnitzel and lake trout! Thanks so much. Christine and Bo!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christine K
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 October 2013

This is a great spot to spend a night or two just outside of Algonquin park. It is very well kept and clean. The service was amazing from check in to check out. They have a cute little restaurant on site with friendly staff as well. There is also an outdoor area with a mini beach and a walking trail. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Maylxox
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 10 October 2013

My wife an I usually head to the Adirondack's for a relaxing Fall holiday, but this year because travel insurance for me would have cost as much as the holiday, we decided to go to the Algonquin Park area and catch the tail of the Fall colour season. We booked a room at Spring Lake Resort Motel based on my research. We are professional travellers and have stayed at many hotels, and motels throughout North America both for business and pleasure so we know of what we talk and the same is true of our dining experiences. I am also a cook so I enjoy and appreciate a good meal and I can even tell a good escargot dish from a bad one and will not hesitate to tell the cook or the owner so, and we will also make sure we compliment them when we have enjoyed ourselves.
We would rate Spring Lake Resort Motel as one of the best values in Ontario. Our room was upstairs and we found it very comfortable. All their rooms overlook the beautiful lake with a balcony running the width of the building on both floors and there are chairs outside each room so you can sit and enjoy your view. They have a sandy beach, with fire pit for evening campfires. Yes, you will hear some highway noise outside, as they are close to the highway. There are beautiful walking trails through the wooded property so you can work off your meal or conversely build up an appetite. They also have various man-powered watercraft for your use plus they will supply you with a half price day pass for Algonquin Park should you so desire. We found our three nights here quiet, comfortable and we slept right through, and I am a light sleeper. The air conditioner and heater kept the room at the comfortable temperature that we set. Free internet, TV, in-room coffee.

Speaking of food, the restaurant food was terrific. The first night I had the Pickerel and my wife had the trout, both of which were cooked to perfection and served on a bed of rice which was also delicious. The next night we just had the fish and chips which were cooked to perfection, with the fish being crispy on the outside and moist and flakey on the inside. The chips were also excellent, not overcooked or soggy. The service in their licensed restaurant was very efficient and friendly and they bent over backwards to make it enjoyable. I might add that the second evening we dined there it was packed but still, they managed to get us a table and even though they were serving a unexpected influx of people, they maintained an air of good humour and efficiency. Everyone there, including us, seemed to be enjoying themselves and their meals. The fact that it was packed that evening confirms that they prepare good food. I might add that the food is prepared fresh so if you are looking for "fast food", look elsewhere. Sit and relax and enjoy.

For breakfast they have a full menu from cereal to sausage and pancakes, to bacon and eggs done to order, whether for a hearty appetite or a petite one, you won't start your day hungry. We found the prices for all their meals very reasonable and they will even brew decaf coffee for you if they don't have any made.

Running a motel and restaurant is not an easy task and it takes very special people to make a go of it and we think that Irena and her staff are such people. We do see this as more a motel than a resort. If you want true resort treatment and ambience then go to Deerhurst and pay triple or more and you still will not find perfection. But if you are looking for honest value look no further. Centrally located within easy drives of Algonquin Park, Huntsville, Bracebridge, or Gravenhurst, it is a photographers dream. Spend a night or a week, you won't find better value and that made it even better than the Adirondacks..

Travel tips from our vast experience; Wherever you stay, book an upper room, especially if it is a frame building (sound travels along and through wood); Bring a small air filter with you to refresh your room and add background "white noise" to help you sleep; bring snacks and drinks; Bring DVD's if you want to watch a movie; Carry your own soap (hotel soaps generally too small); Always keep swimwear in your suitcase, that way you are always ready to swim; Lastly, pack a great attitude, treat staff and management with courtesy and respect, and leave the room with lights off, toilet flushed, used towels, etc, neatly piled, and place your garbage in the appropriate containers. Leave the maid a tip and If you do have a legitimate complaint, don't be a cowardly and vent on the internet, take it to management right away so they may look into your complaint and rectify it if they can. Travelling should be a pleasant experience for everyone. Bon Voyage!

Room Tip: Upper rooms are always the quietest no matter where you stay. Get up early, make a coffee and enjoy...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 4wheeldeal
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Where do I begin. Their description on there website sounded so good and most of the reviews were excellent so I booked without hesitation. I feel like I was fooled by some of these glowing reviews and need to express my opinion. Hotel Room: Outdated rooms have not been renovated. Little cheap hand soap. Shampoo has to be opened with scissors? Very loud at night can hear HWY 60 throughout night. Not private at all. Rooms above can hear every footstep could not sleep well at all.

The service was subpar at best. We were not even brought water with our meals and the food was $30 per person. I ordered mash potatoes with my chicken but they insisted I have the rice so I accepted. The rice tasted like there was a bit of sand mixed in and I was not the only peson that night to complain about the rice. I heard another couple say the exact same thing to the waitress and she said its wild rice that's how it is supposed to taste. It was gross. The food was not very good fatty and cheap perogies warmed up, cold pecan pie. They charge $10 for a Caesar salad that was not very good. First we asked no bacon bits and they come back with bacon bits. Lousy communication between waitress and kitchen. You have to eat by 7:30 or they will kick you out. This means you have to order by 7 PM. They seem to cheap to hire a cook so one person does everything. I witnessed the cook smoking and than walking into kitchen. I really hope they washed there hands.

The firepit is right next tot he hwy so there is no serenity at all. You can hear trucks at night all night so our fire was basically useless for serenity. The only good thing is the owner seemed nice but charges about triple what this place is worth in my opinion. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else ideally not off of Highway 60. Cost over $400 for 2 days with 2 dinners.

Honestly I never write negative reviews but I don't want anyone thinking this place is paradise it is a 1 star place that I feel should be no more than $60 per night considering the above opinions.
The place was a dump, food quality poor and very expensive for what it was, felt rushed out of restaurant every night. Avoid! Came here to have a relaxing holiday with spouse not to feel rushed which left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Shaun S
IreneDwight, Owner at Spring Lake Resort Motel and Restaurant, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Well, you are certainly entitled to your own opinion, but I would really appreciated if you had brought all these concerns and issues while being right here, so we could had addressed on the spot. I checked with all my stuff and not even one person, including the servers, had heard one complaint from you while staying with us, on contrary, both of my servers told me that you seemed very happy and having a good time. I personally checked you out on Sunday morning and even then, you had not mentioned any of these complains. Why would you stayed two nights with us and would not mentioned anything after the first night when you were so unhappy in the room and ate with us in the restaurant for two consecutive days, when there were other places around us? It does not make any sense to me.
What really got me is that your review is full of wrong facts and lies, like: rooms being not renovated, one person doing all jobs, restaurant being closed at 7:30 pm., the fire pit being close to the highway, accusation of being fooled by guests reviews, spending over $400.00, where you spend only $370.00, I checked your receipt. I do not appreciate any of these lies and accusations.
Please note that we are relatively new owners of this resort, we have been here only 4 years and during this time we worked very hard and spent thousands of dollars to renovate the motel and the restaurant, we have eight dedicated stuff employees, two in the motel and six in the restaurant to serve our customers, our restaurant is open from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm, and nobody would "kick you out" until you finish you meal at night and none of my restaurant employees would rush you out, because they know what good customer service is. The fire pit is on the opposite side of the grounds, far away from the highway. As to the prices, I suggest to you to check the prices around Muskoka for accommodation and if I do, you will find that our prices are on the lower end and provide great value for what we offer.
All reviews posted on our website are genuine customers’ reviews who appreciate our everyday efforts to keep this place the best it can be. 43 excellent, 19 very good, 1 average, 2 poor, and 2 terrible, including yours, genuine reviews for customers speak for themselves, and if some people like you looking for a bargain, well, keep looking, but do your research first and get the facts straight ahead of time, so you don’t have false expectations and while there, please voice your opinion, so your expectations at least have a chance to be met.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We chose this motel because of its proximity to the west gate of Algonquin Provincial Park. We were delighted with the excellent service we received and the affable owner and the attentive waitress enhanced our visit. We were mid-way through a 3 week visit to Ontario and when we saw the grounds and lake we decided to take a day off from driving. We walked the trails through their 52 acres in the morning and spent the afternoon paddling the various canoes on the lake. Safety gear was readily available and we had the most relaxing of days.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nick D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dwight
Arowhon Pines
#2 of 2 in Oxtongue Lake
Deerhurst Resort
Deerhurst Resort
#3 of 18 in Huntsville

Been to Spring Lake Resort Motel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!