“Great Place for a weekend get away!”

Curio Bay Salthouse
Reviewed 25 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed her for a night as a quiet night away and it was perfect!

The accommodation is great, the views are perfect & unspoilt and the owners are very welcoming!

All facilities in the unit were just what we need and the central heating was just great on the chilly wintery night!

Fantastic place if your after a break away from the world - literally.... No cell phone coverage! Just what were after :-)

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Brandsos

Reviewed 24 May 2013

We went to this place by a suggestion from an innkeeper in Tokanui who couldn't find a room for us. So he helped us pointing out from a tourist map that there are so many places to stay in Curio Bay. But he picked this one, the salthouse, and made a phone call to confirm the vacancy. Thanks to Justin the innkeeper. We arrived salthouse very late (they had on-site car park) but the hotel manager (and owner) was still waiting for us. She saw us in the lobby which was also her office full of hand-made quilts on display. She was very nice and we had a quite long chat before checking-in to find out that the room was sooooo clean, tidy, spacious and quiet. Just after we got up early morning to know that our rooms were just right on the beach on Curio Bay. Sunrise was very fantastic. We could go out to the beach from the terrace. No wonder I recommend this place.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I drove to Curio Bay and arrived rather late, just before sunset. I didn't pre-book and I was a bit worried to see only 2 properties showing vacancies. Salthouse was one of the them, the other being a back packer's lodging without en-suite facilities. My modestly priced, ground floor room was very modern and very clean but my jaw dropped when I saw that the beach was barely 30 meters away from my bedroom. The waves were breaking beautifully and there was even a obligatory wooden bench overlooking the bay. This is a scene better than on many picture post-cards and probably close to what heaven would look like. I slept to the sound of the surf.

The owner was very helpful and even asked me to go and try to catch the yellow penguins returning at dusk. This was a highlight in itself as this is not one of those "nature shows" where people gather with spotlights and where you must pay to watch. Here, it was just me, and as I arrived late, "only" saw about 8 or so penguins coming in. I saw several more in the shrubs but didn't want to disturb them by going too near. No artificial lighting, no crowds, no noise, no fees.

Room Tip: I preferred the ground floor room as I could just walk onto the beach.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank KT785
Reviewed 25 April 2013

The Catlins was the best part of our trip. Curio Bay Salthouse is a very clean and pretty place. We had a lovely view of the beach where we watched the sunrise right at the comfort of our room. We visited the petrified forest which is a hop and skip away from our accommodation to see the penguins return home at dusk. Such a treat! The tourists who were also present got really close to the penguins to take photos and used the camera flash many times. Please future visitors, don't use your camera flash and flash lights as penguins' eyes are sensitive to bright light.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We stayed at Curio Bay for two nights earlier this month, our only regret was that we could not stay longer. The view from our studio room was outstanding. I keep telling people to add Curio Bay to their bucket list - a must place to visit. The accommodation was of a high standard and spotlessly clean. We could not have been happier with our choice - the only thing my husband thought was an outside bbq would have been handy. You literally slide open your glass door and walk a few paces to the most stunning beach. We plan to return and keep recommending it to family and friends.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2013

My husband and I recently visited Curio Bay on a 2 day visit to the Catlins. It was a fantastic experience.
Our hosts were very friendly, the unit was spacious and comfortable. The beach was only 10 steps from the door. I could have stayed for days just watching the Hector dolphins in the surf only a few metres offshore. They live in Curio bay from about November to April and were just enthralling. It was an easy walk along the beach to see the petrified forest ( low tide) and other wildlife.
A wonderful few days.

Room Tip: All 3 rooms have great views.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Curio Bay was the highlight of our recent NZ holiday, nature at is most wonderful. This accommodation was also wonderful, amazing waterfront location with views that take your breath away. Do yourself a huge favour and stay here sometime.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tokanui
Lazy Dolphin Lodge
Lazy Dolphin Lodge
#25 of 83 in Southland Region
Catlins Beach House at Curio Bay
Curio Bay Accommodation

Been to Curio Bay Salthouse? Share your experiences!