“OK for a stop over en route”
Review of 7 Hotel Diner

7 Hotel Diner
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Halstead
Bournemouth
“OK for a stop over en route”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The room was compact but had everything necessary. It was quiet and comfortable but my complaint is that there seems to be only one key per room and the other rooms kept knocking to be let back in which I found a nuisance. The toiletries supplied consisted of 2 tiny sachets of hair/body wash and a miniscule bar of soap - disappointing. Dinner was good quality, but it took 2 hours for 2 courses! There seemed to be several parties booked in but not enough staff were on duty. The overall 'theme' was cute which would explain its popularity. The free parking was a bonus.
Tip: ask for a hair drier, they are not standard in the rooms.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
7HD, General Manager at 7 Hotel Diner, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thanks for your review. Regarding hairdryers we are currently installing hairdryers in all rooms.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Reigate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I nearly always read the reviews, but my kids really wanted the American Diner experience so we paid a visit for dinner.

I can now relate to all the other poor souls who got less than they expected. I'm not a complainer - really I'm not! But I know what I like and I know what customer service means (It means your customers are more likely to come back). Put knives AND forks on the table, know what you have in stock and what you don't. Bring out food in reasonable time and of consistent temperature. Stop charging silly prices for poor quality.

It's the same old blind ignorance scenario that we see so much in the UK. Buy a restaurant, brighten the place up then pay kids to run it for you. I'm not blaming them for the poor service, they're young, untrained and basically don't really care. There's a 10% service charge wopped on your bill (yeah, thanks for that) so they don't expect - or get - any tips either.

The food? Basically a poor English interpretation of what Americans must like to eat. It's bland, fatty and covers various temperatures. My burger was cold, my milk shake was warm. Someone in uniform did walk past and mutter something about enjoying our meals? I didn't quite catch what he said....

Milkshakes to die for? A £5 a pop my wallet died. Just by dropping a well know biscuit into the vita-mix as you whizz up the mixture them doesn't make them special - I can make these at home just as easily.

It would so easy to turn this place around. If you ever read your reviews Mr Owner, motivate your staff, stop cutting corners, see how customer service works in an F&B's, a TFI's or better still a proper american diner where the customers come out with a smile on their face and talk about what they're going to try when the go back next time. Sadly like so many other of your reviewers - and one reviewer equals 20 customers - you won't be seeing me or my wallet again.

2 stars and that's being generous

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SnarlingDog

Travellers are raving about these Halstead hotels

Wakefield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Tastefully decorated rooms, clean and functional. The food is good - but expect a bit of a wait. Don't be fooled into paying for breakfast in advance - it's better to pay when you are there - we almost ended up being charged twice.
The waiters work hard, but beware of one particularly surly waitress. You'll know who she is - she'll slam things on the table, avoid eye contact and mutter 'ta' as she walks away.
The hotel advertises wifi, but it is not useable at all, so don't rely on it for work.
If you're a light sleeper, avoid rooms at the front as it is very noisy - lorries passing all night, loud music from the bar, as well as cigarette smoke from people below.
The play area is handy if you have small children.
If you get a good price, go for it, but if you are paying £60 or over you'd be better paying the extra and going elsewhere.

Room Tip: The front rooms are very noisy.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Kept waiting along time for drinks order after being seated 10mins. Young inexperienced staff not attentive at all, had to get up and walk round to flag down a waitress few times! food comes out warm halfway eating my meal it goes cold! And we are still expected to pay service charge after being disappointed and unhappy. This place lacks real management and customer service ! Never again!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 70aks2678
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel rooms not bad. If on the other hand your larger than average forget the shower. Flat stanley would stuggle getting in. The wifi is like 1990s dial up. The ale in the diner ,well £5.23 a bottle of spitfire aint cheap.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank banjo38
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is quite a tough review to write because my overall feeling of the hotel is very much tainted by the lack of space and the very boring food but so many other things were really good.

I would give this hotel top marks for cleanliness and also the decor in the room was modern and well maintained BUT it was so small that you couldn't pass another person in the room and the TV was tucked behind a door. It was claustrophobic to say the least. I kept feeling as if there was not enough air to breathe in the room but our window opened up to the car park and the road.

Staff were really friendly and helpful but I could never stay in such a small room again

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Karenhelle
7HD, General Manager at 7 Hotel Diner, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback.
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Booked on line through laterooms.com for a Saturday stay, reception was helpful when she couldn't find my booking! Given 1st floor double room with window overlooking car park. Room was clean but I would call it tiny! we paced it out, just under 10ft x 8ft. Bathroom had a corner shower and complimentary toiletries comprised of piece of soap and 2 sachets of hair and body wash. It was a warm night and we had to have window open so heard every sound from outside (and inside as walls thin). Very noisy from cars as motel is located on main road also noise from music downstairs which we woke up to on Sunday morning at 7.30am to the sound of 'Blueberry Hill' resonating in our room. Breakfast was supposed to be included but when we sat down in the 50's themed restaurant we were told breakfast was only to the value of £4.95 which wasn't mentioned anywhere! It took 40 minutes to get our breakfast which was very poor quality, but the waiter/waitress was very good. If you just want to play sardines and you have all the time in the world to wait for breakfast then stay here, otherwise don't bother.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DB7GT
Also consider these accommodations in or near Halstead
Best Western Plus Donnington Manor Hotel
Days Inn Sevenoaks Clacket Lane
Holiday Inn Maidstone - Sevenoaks
Mercure Dartford Brands Hatch Hotel & Spa
Best Western Plus Hever Hotel
Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa

Been to 7 Hotel Diner? Share your experiences!