“Outstanding”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This restaurant has been a favourite for many years. The new front of house has not dented its quality, and the food is more interesting than before.

The kitchen now produces food with a bit more of a twist, that you would be unlikely to make at home, yet it is not absurd or pretentious.

I am not a dessert person, but the Assiette Gourmand with a hot raspberry soufflé, finger of apple strudel, home made ice cream in a white chocolate shell AND a mousse in a dark chocolate casing was a greedy delight.

Sadly after devouring the Menu Degustation we were too stuffed to eat the Petit Fours that came with the coffee so we took them home in a doggy bag...

Service was excellent, a request for more jus on the steak was met with a small jug of sauce 'on the side' without any fuss. No rush, friendly explanations about the dishes were given when ordering.

Go on, treat yourself, you deserve it!

2  Thank THEjaguarundi
There are newer reviews for Le Relais du Chateau

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Food is of high quality. Although some reviewers have clearly not got over the previous chef leaving, we and our friends enjoyed excellent food with quality service. Having cocktails on the terrace, while we perused the menu before dinner, was lovely (despite some refurbishment going on to one wing of the Chateau), the food was delivered at a very leisurely pace and the quality and value was exceptional. My only gripe was that we went there 4 times over 10 weeks and the menu hardly changed.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Food is of high quality, although some reviewers have clearly not got over the previous chef leaving we and our friends found excellent food with quality service. Cocktails on the terrace before dinner was lovely (despite some refurbishment going on to one wing of the Chateau), the food was delivered at a very leisurely pace and the quality and value was exceptional. My only gripe was that we went there 4 times over 10 weeks and the menu hardly changed.

1  Thank Steve M
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We dined outside for dinner as the weather was so good, though the interior is gorgeous - full of character as a chateau restaurant. The proprietor is charming and speaks good English (married to an English lady). The desserts were superb but our main courses a little bland. If the quality of food improved this would be a real winner, though the reasonably priced menu would rise no doubt!

Reviewed 9 March 2014

We visited here the other evening and this was the first time with the new owner. Jean-Louis has now retired. Most of the team still remain with Thomas Beauvais at the helm. Unusually we were the only English people dining and all the other tables were French diners - a sign of a truly good restaurant. We all thought that the food was delicious - well cooked - tender veal, lamb, steak and tasty scallops. I personally liked the little pot of potato served in a kilner jar and it was jolly tasty mash! Hubby was not so sure... Starters were well presented and tasty, featuring of course foie gras on 2 plates! My chocolate dessert was excellent and as I opened up my little chocolatey delight it oozed with hot sauce, just as it ought! Crêpes suzettes were impressive although rather too generous with the alcohol apparently I was informed... Looking forward to seeing some more wines on the wine menu and I know this is in hand.
Thomas - well done! We will be coming again! I will tell my summer guests to definitely book up.
Such a magical setting to enjoy a typical French meal (fancy having dinner in a chateau with a drawbridge?!)

1  Thank relaxonhols