“Fantastic food/Great service”

The Forge Restaurant & Lodge
Ranked #4 of 6 St Clears B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

I have eaten here twice now in the last month and thought I'd share my experience with Trip advisor.

I ordered the mixed grill and the wife had fish and chips
The food I must say was excellent the mixed grill was one of the best I've ever had..
The service was also top notch I would definitely eat here again would recommend. It is on the expensive side but I don't mind paying if the food quality is right.
Well done to the Forge.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Taz695

Reviewed 17 July 2013

We booked this last minute, and planned to stay for a couple of days. On arrival our 'lodge' accommodation was spacious, clean and really quiet and peaceful. Free use of the pool, gym and sauna at any time was great after a hot day. The breakfasts are amazing with the best bacon we have ever tasted. Meals served are very generous portions of basic good, homecooked food. The staff are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble, even putting themselves out to come in early to cook breakfast when we wanted to leave early one morning. Ended up staying for 6 nights. We will definitely come back again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emmy-Lu4
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I discovered "The Forge" some years ago when I needed rest on my way from Germany to Ireland. I rented a room for the night and also had dinner in the restaurant. It was a good experience!
The room was good value for the money. I got a small cottage with parking space in front. The room was quite lovely, it was clean and the bed was good. There´s also a electric kettle and tea. Bathroom (shower and toilet) isn´t luxurious and small, but also clean and you get everything you need.
Next journey (September 2011) I allready planned to stay there. I arrived on early afternoon, it was raining cats and dogs. The room was very much like the first time. I killed the time until dinner by using the free wifi, there´s also a gas-station nearby where you can buy some crisps, ber and magazines, so I had a relaxed afternoon.
I had dinner in the restaurant, fillet steak and chips, which was excellent. The price was reasonable, not cheap, but very okay for the quality.
Reception is in the main building, just a very small desk. The staff was very friendly, check in and out was quick.
Next time I´m definitely going there again!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Oliver B
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Used to visit on regular and twice in succession the food was not very good. Gave it a miss for the last 18 months and called there last Sunday on our way home. Staff did not give a warm welcome. Service was slow and there were only 8 people in at the time. The food was hot and well cooked. Overall I will not be stopping for food here for a long time again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Goldcrest O
Reviewed 9 April 2013

This hotel is a bit more than your average motorway side hotel, for instance It seems to have an abundance of facilities, such as a pool and a sauna.
The overall impression is of a lack of pretension. It is well cared for by the management and the hotel is clean and it is populated by an army of efficient (if slightly stern looking) staff. However, there is a fine line between being unpretentious and needing a refurbishment and this hotel could do with some new furniture.
In my opinion, it is let down by its situation on a main road and next to a petrol station, as the surrounding countryside is so beautiful. Although, I am sure the motorway-side location may be convenient for some.
The breakfast is a generous one but again they could invest in better produce and get twice the results.
Overall a good hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank phillyt_13
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We always stop when in the area. From the outside it could be mistaken for a service station however the food is always great. The place is spotless and the prices reasonable for the quality of food. The service is normally good however most recently the waitress was not great and ended up going on the till to pay after trying to get her attention for 10 mins. The Veg Lasagne was lovely and was served with proper chips. The desserts are massive - a three scoop ice cream was way too much for the kids - they did give it their best shot though!

All in all a great place to stop when in the area.

Top tip - if travelling with young children eat in the bar as opposed to the restaurant - my kids are reasonably well behaved however we did get a few 'raised eyebrow' looks from the other customers when they were a little noisy.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 123David321
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Have been passing this place for years on the way to our family flat in Tenby. Didn't think about going into the restaurant till I saw their food signs in the petrol station next door. The restaurant is excellent. I had a lb of Welsh lamb chops! I am fed up of getting small prettied up trendy portions in places these days. That certainly isn't the case here. It's good honest quality grub. The kids meals were excellent. No gimmicks,the menu just gives them what they want. Egg and chips for Sam @£2.50 and sausages, beans and chips for Gail @ £3.85. If you are going to Tenby it's only 30 mins away, and breaks the journey nicely. I was able to get the kids fed and watered, and have a leisurely drive for the last leg of the journey, instead of charging down to get in some expensive tourist trap before they shut! Am planning to make this a regular stop.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family