“Character, Warmth and Charm”

The Inn at Spences Bridge
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Do you like character and small-town charm? The Inn at Spences Bridge is clearly a labour of love. The owner/manager has taken great care to restore the historic road house. He is a friendly and welcoming host. He has always made an effort to accommodate our needs, including the times when we brought our geriatric dog along with us. The best room is the Zen with a large balcony overlooking the railway tracks. In my opinion, the railway adds to the funky,historic, almost movie-set ambience. And, the restaurant serves excellent veg-friendly food - almost unheard of for a small town like this. If you are looking for a sterile, corporate, cookie-cutter motel, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Svetlana19308

Reviewed 19 July 2013

Interesting place, interesting history and interesting location. Admittedly, it is near a main line railway track but I did not find that troubling. I had a nice room overlooking the river. The room and onsuite bathroom showed that a lot of care had gone in to restoring a very old building. The owner/manager/bottle washer is an entertaining and knowledgeable guy. I will return.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank RonTSmithers_B_C_
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I am sorry for the people who can't appreciate this historic inn for the beauty of the setting and the eclectic nature of the building. No, it's not a chain hotel, with every room being the same, sterile accomodation. It's old, the decor is outdated, there are trains. But look past all that. Our room, Zen, was large with a balcony on the opposite side to the river. The bathroom was huge. The towels were white and fluffy. Homemade soap. Lots of hot water. A good sleep. The trains did not wake us, but you could bring earplugs if your'e a light sleeper. Everything was very clean. We poked our head into all the rooms, and each was charming. The dining area where breakfast is served looks out onto the river. Beautiful. We enjoyed a glass of wine in one othe many chairs and table offered on the patio. In the evening, Ray lit the fire and we watched tv in the living room area. Felt at home. In the morning, we had fresh brewed coffee. There were many teas, fruit, yogurt, homemade banana muffins, homemade bread. All we needed to start our day. We have driven past the Inn for years, and are so glad we stopped finally. We will return,as it's a good stop-over after driving from the Lower Mainland into the Cariboo.

Room Tip: Zen is large, on the street side of the hotel. Train runs, but does not blow whistle. Some rooms...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank darlenew1919
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Very pleasant service, friendly staff, simple. In a place that is 150 years old like the inn at spences bridge you really cant be expecting tvs in the rooms or anything you might find at a newer hotel. Instead gear your mind to that of an old building, the basics, and the same feeling you get when staying at your grandmas house and you wont be let down! The floors creak, the decor out dated, but here we are again, it's a 150 year old building. It's not trying to spruce itself up and look 80. That being said i found everything to be very clean, from the sheets to the bathrooms. The continental breakfast was average, but what made this place shine for me was the homely feeling of this inn. If you have trouble sleeping with trains then maybe don't stay anywhere in spences bridge, they go all night long! For me it adds to the character of the place... i didn't wake up once from a train!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank gorillafunk
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We did not stay here; we only dined here. There was so little a available on the long drive from Hope, BC to Kamloops that we were happy to find them open and serving dinner.

This is a very high character place, so set your expectations accordingly. There is some clutter and aesthetic dissonance, but nothing the health inspector would've concerned about. The setting is really great, with photo ops aplenty. But more notably, both the food and the hospitality were just wonderful.

Thanks to proprietor Ray and his staff (Zach) for adding an unexpected, ample dose of color, flavor, warmth and charm to our family adventure.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank JeffTNZ
Reviewed 22 May 2012

the Inn looks ok on the outside. I think all of the renovation love has gone here first.
the inside is a different story, creaky old floors with 60s era dark brown carpet, dark funny smells and our room and furnishings were pretty old, but not in the charming antique kind of way way. I didn't trust the colored frilly bedsheets and we instead slept in our sleeping-bag.
Hope you like trains, because these things go all night long. Very hard to sleep.

80 dollars felt pretty steep for the room, but not as bad as paying 46 before tip for 2 vegetarian lasagnas, tea and basic salad. Again, the eating area felt pretty worn out, and even the tablecloth had many stains on it.

We left early and couldn't be bothered with the serve yourself basic breakfast.

I would pass on this place. especially if your traveling with your significant other.
There is far better to be had for less.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank polythemus
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I wouldn't have stopped but I was on my own. Two wheels were turning, my big motor was burning, the pretty girls were long behind me. 1400k since noon. I was exhausted. Besides, I had already slowed as always, for the railroad-crossing-road-side commemoration of a fatal alcoholic, motorcycle crash.
It was dark. The place looked abandon. But the neon word in the window screamed: "OPEN'.
So, I pulled over.
I needed a bed before I crashed.
Childishly hand scrawled, a sign on the door assured me they had a room for the night.
During registration I had no choice but to endure the nervous, nattering clerk telling me about his wife's mental breakdown, his delinquent son from the big city not even wanting to coming to paint the place, his wildlife photography aspirations and a litany of less important issues.
During my misspent youth I had stayed in a similar place... at Black River N.S.
Reminded me of that scene in Dueling Banjos. It was quieter; and at a fraction of the cost.
This place is up for sale.
There's one born every minute.

Room Tip: Don't!! Unless you don't have a choice.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank DarwinBrando

Been to The Inn at Spences Bridge? Share your experiences!