Van Zylsvlei(Colesberg)
  • Restaurant
Honeylocust(Colesberg)
Colesberg Lodge(Colesberg)
  • Pool
All reviewsshort noticerich in historysouth african historypaul krugerguest housemodern amenitiesplace to stayold housecape townone nightroom was cleannext morningclinicaljohannesburgstopownerguesthouse
Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed a very lovely, last-minute stop over in Colesberg and were warmly welcomed by Giles. The room was clean (but not clinical and cold) and the bed was comfy. We got a real sense of family history and pride. Place of choice for a stop over between anywhere and anywhere in South Africa!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2016 via mobile

There are probably newer and certainly more clinical places to stay in Colesburg, but there is nothing like the Coniston. It is a slice of history, in walking distance of a good restaurant...the plattelander. For me, the extension of the journey and a real authentic feel of Colesburg. I was transported to another era by the oil paintings, and I was mesmerized by the old style decor. Having said that, the rooms were wonderfully comfortable and they had all modern amenities... like - my worse- tv in room for those who like spending a day watching a road to spending the evening watching the wall. It was easy for me to forget I wasn't on a farm stay, the gardens out back were lovely with big interesting trees. Giles the owner is such a lovely young man- welcome and accommodating, but appreciative of the fact that you need a bit of space and distance to unwind after long trips.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 October 2016

Loved this place! Giles helped me out on very short notice and was super accommodating. Great value and I loved the rooms. The rooms were clean and spacious. I arrived quite a bit later than planned, Giles waited and helped me to settle in.

Would definitely recommend this stop over for anyone passing through.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet and bigger
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 May 2016

If you want to stay in a place that's absolutely steeped in history, clean, comfortable, value for money AND within walking distance to the best restaurants in Colesberg stay at Coniston House. The grounds are gorgeous with well placed seating areas under the trees out front and back.

Our host, Giles, went the extra mile for my folks and I buy lighting a fire in the (spectacular high ceiling'd) lounge, put on some slow jazz music and cracked a bottle of wine. He was very helpful and very interesting to speak to re: his families history and Coniston. Well within a travelers budget, Coniston House is the only place we'll stay in Colesberg.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 March 2016 via mobile

Coniston is a great guest house that can accomodate anyone from anywhere in the world. The people are very friendly, warm and helpful. Coniston guest house is ideal for any trip as a stop over night. The atmosphere they create here is warm and inviting and it made me and my husband feel like we were in old Italy. I would urge anyone looking for a nice stay to visit Coniston Guest house in Colesburg.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple