“Doesn't get much better”

Le Moulin de la Tardoire
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Montbron
Price range: US$20 - US$50
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: In this enchanting setting along the Tardoire, we are happy to welcome you in a group event, special occasion or just during a gourmet meal to share a unique moment. Le Moulin de la Tardoire is proud to offer seasonal dishes using fresh, local ingredients. Our menu features a variety of tasty dishes to satisfy your afternoon and evening. Moreover, weekdays at noon on Chef offers his Day menu at 17 € (with two entrances, two dishes, two desserts). Finally, our meeting room located on the Tardoire is ideal for meetings, conferences or seminars in peace. It is fully equipped (video projector, wifi, paperboard, coffee machine ...) And available throughout the year (free if you decide to eat there).
Aspley Guise, United Kingdom
“Doesn't get much better”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This restaurant is an absolute gem and certainly one of the best we've been to in France. We've dined there for both a plat and an a la carte meal - both have been superb. The setting is as divine the cuisine and the service is both friendly and professional.
Its what Montbron has been lacking for many years. Cant wait to come back again in the summer.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank willowstick

Angouleme, France
“Superb local cuisine in a stunning riverside setting”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We went to Le Moulin de la Tardoire for Sunday lunch with friends and were very impressed by our experience. The restaurant is set in a recently converted water mill - the mill race with its still functioning wooden machinery adds to the ambiance of the setting. The proprietors have opted for an interesting mix of traditional and modern styles - the crisp, white linen and smart tableware not detracting from the cosy atmosphere and stunning riverside views.
The menu was varied with something to suit all tastes and there is an emphasis on local cuisine and wines that adds to the authentic Charentais experience.
The food was cooked and presented to perfection - this is 'haute cuisine', but with portions of sufficient size to satisfy the appetite. The addition of appetizers with drinks and amusing touches (such as steak tartare 'mice'!) only served to add to the enjoyment of our meal.
The staff were courteous and attentive, without being intrusive, and there was an excellent wine list; we opted to allow the sommelier to choose wines that accorded well with our chosen dishes,giving us the opportunity to sample some of the outstanding local wines, and we were not disappointed.
This restaurant is now on our list of best-ever gastronomic experiences and we will certainly be going there again!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank malcolmrutland2014
Toronto, Canada
“Fantastic Traditional Meal”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I went to Le Moulin de la Tardoire with my friend from Canada and we were both blown away by how fantastic our experience was. The atmosphere was wonderful. The water mill in the basement is beautiful to see through the glass and everything looked very clean and sharp and well planned out. We had our table for two in the upstairs part of the restaurant. I do not drink very much wine so I ordered the rose wine and it was quite pleasant. I ordered the duck liver as my starter and it was presented very well and taste delicious. For my main course I had the calf and I put down my fork with every bite because each bite was tremendous. I did not order the cheese plate but I did try some of my friends and it too was quite good. Before our dessert came out waiter brushed the crumbs off the table which was quite nice. He was presented very nicely and was very understanding with us since we do not speak very much French. (My friend ordered kidney without knowing what it was and once my friend found out he ordered kidney he was quite please our waiter double checked with him) For dessert I got death by chocolate. It came with a scoop of ice cream on top and it was mouthwatering. Every bite I had from the evening was exquisite. I am quite excited to visit again. The cooks certainly know what they are doing and are very good at presenting their food well. I also thought it was a lovely touch that the owners have a dessert named after each of their children.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Kendal W
North London
“Second bite of the cherry”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

If you check my reviews you will be aware that I was there for four visits in the summer but raised concern that they might start taking customers for granted. A visit at the end of October has laid those fears to rest. we ate a very good starter of langoustine tails, celeriac and citrus fruits was spot on, a pigeon to follow was even better with some seasonal veg and the desert 'fraicheur de Bertille' cleansed the palate beautifully after a rich meal. Go there if you can - they seem to be doing good things for local food and need to be encouraged.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank HighgateExigeant
Bordeaux, France
“Idyllic Outdoor Seating vs. Tres Cher”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Visited newly converted watermill in idyllic setting next to river in magical quiet location. Perfect for a sunny day. Inside is chic and appears cosy.

The restuarant is high end quality for the €32 lunch menu with stylish food. Additionally, €46 for evening menu.

The €16.50 lunch plat du jour menu was disapointing from a value perspective, although the food was well presented. Starter was gazpacho- perfectly nice, main-poor chicken lasagne (lacked chicken, stodgy & served with wimp lettuce leaf), dessert-refreshing coffee ice cream in a coffee liquid.
Given the competition in the area for €13-€17 lunch plat du jour, this was below target.

Waitress was amicable and well presented.

Definately worth visiting for the €32 menu.

• Visited September 2013