“Second time, Just as good or better!”
Review of The Pe La Resort

The Pe La Resort
Ranked #16 of 36 Hotels in Kamala
sydney
“Second time, Just as good or better!”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This is the second time we have stayed at the Royal Embassy Resort and Spa. It was just as good or even better than our first visit. We had two extra guests this time and we had plenty of room in our apartment. 3 adults and 1 baby sharing a 1 bedroom unit, it was ample space and the resort provided a nice foldaway bed and a nice spacious cot for the baby!

The room was great as usual and we had a great view overlooking the pool and the resort. The service was just as brilliant as our first stay, Phil and Aree are the best hosts and run the resort extremely well. Always willing to help with any enquiry or questions that we had and providing local knowledge about attractions and things to do and places to go.

The restaurant was brilliant too, the food menu has changed and improved and still very reasonable for resort prices. The resort itself was a little quieter because the construction of the new condo's behind the resort had been finished.

Overall I have to reiterate to people that this resort is a brilliant place to stay out of the busy areas of Phuket without being too far from the action if you wish to go to Patong or some of the other more populated beach areas. The service is unmatched and like I said previously it is not the Hyatt so don't expect that, but it would go over and beyond the Hyatt for personalised service. Highly recommend and will be back our next time in Phuket!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Dr_Jerro
Mrroyalembassyresort, Owner at The Pe La Resort, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you so much for your comprehensive review. It is very satisfying to us all here at Royal Embassy when we get a repeat customer, especially when they comment that there stay was even better than the previous one. As a small resort we strive to do better all the time and one of the best things to monitor our performance is with the TripAdvisor reviews, Weither we receive constructive criticism or great comments, all are taken on board and shared with our staff, so I am very happy to say, all my staff take tremendous pride in what they do and receiving a review such as yours gives them even more motivation to excel in their work
Phil Seal Owner/manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Korean first
Camden, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Everything about the hotel is as it reads online. I have stayed in Thailand on 5 occasions, but always on Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, and Koh Tao, so I guess I was used to expecting a little more for my money. For the $ I paid to stay in this resort... I got a lot more bang for my buck on the other islands.

Location: 10+ min walk to the beach, so not great. Not the hotels fault of course.
Room: Big, but I personally didn't like the style. Bed was good. TV was average (Small HD) Clean.
Owner & Staff: Lovely & Helpful
Pool: Basic, looks better in the photos.
Food: We were annoyed that we paid for breakfast included, but we only had access to a small selection of food on a "Breakfast Included Menu", as opposed to having access to the full breakfast menu. Terrible value considering other hotels would have a full buffet all you can eat breakfast included for this price. The food itself was good, but the fact that we paid for breakfast included, but we only got a small selection of options pissed me off I have to say.
Other: Resident Rabbit free roaming around the resort - Awesome!

Basically - Nothing wrong with this place, but my wife and I (late 20's couple) like a place thats close to the beach (Our own fault for not researching more) we like a place that isn't in a crazy built up area, but at the same time we want a little bit of life to the place (This resort & surrounding area was a little too quiet for our liking)

If you are a family looking for a quiet relaxing place to stay, then the Royal Embassy Resort is the place for you. For young couples looking for a place that is quiet, but not too quiet - then I'd probably look elsewhere.

My own fault for not researching this resort more. It has great reviews, but I should have known that this place was going to be too quiet for us, too far away from the beach (we like beach front or no more than a 2 min walk to the beach - again my own fault for not doing more research)

In my opinion the value here is poor. Then again I have never stayed on Phuket before and maybe the value is less everywhere on the island. I don't think I will ever go back to Phuket, as it just wasn't what we were hoping for. Old Crowd. Too Built up in parts. A little sleazy in parts.

For anyone looking for an awesome place to stay - Fishermans Village, Bophut, on Koh Samui is unreal. Cheap, Quiet - but not too quiet - Every Friday the whole island flocks to Fishermans Village for the walking street shopping and party. It's right on the beach too, and has plenty of cool chilled out restaurant's and bars. If you want crazy - then you are only 10 mins scooter away from Chaweng (But we only went about 2 times in 3 weeks - it's not for us) We stayed in a resort called Cocooning Resort, and we can't recommend it enough - read my review.

Sorry Royal Embassy! I don't usually write bad reviews, and 90% of the things I didn't like here was my own fault for not researching your hotel more. Main complaints was the Breakfast Included menu, and the overall value for money.

Don't be too put off though travellers - This place is clearly a place that most people are happy with. Just not for us.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

7 Thank Mark M
Hello Mark
Have actually read your review 3 times, not because I wanted to make excuses for the things you did not like about it, but so I could learn from it and then makes some improvements, Phuket is more expensive than anywhere else in Thailand, two main reasons, one being there is a terrible shortage of skilled labour in the hotel business, so to keep good staff ( i believe i have excellent staff) you have to pay them much more than other parts of Thailand . Secondly, because of the tourist boom in Phuket, the cost of land is now astronomical compared to other places in Thailand, so rents etc are very high, hence room costs are higher. To keep good staff most hotels in Phuket add a 10% service charge on the room price, which also is not the case everywhere in Thailand. I understand what you mean about Kamala being a little quiet, but many guests find that attractive as the noise and traffic problems in Patong is 24 hrs a day, whereas Kamala is quiet, but only a 15 minute drive to Patong.if you want the party style atmosphere.
Yes also, we probably are more a family hotel, TripAdvisor tells us we are rated as the 3rd best family hotel on Phuket Island, so we are very proud of ourselves considering there is well over 1000 hotels and resorts. Our one bedroom villa's are very romantic though and with the pool and garden lights on at night, many guests have told us, we can't be beaten on ambiance, food quality and a romantic setting, when dinning outside at night, but you are right, ,we are not a hotel that is catering for young people, wanting to see lots of action.
Free breakfast, this is a first for us, just a new thing this year.We are still learning and based on your comments and one or two others, we have reviewed our menu,we have doubled the size of the menu and added a weekly special, but as I am sure you will appreciate, it is not viable to have buffet breakfasts, when you only have 20 rooms and freshly cooked breakfasts, taste much better, than something that has been sitting in a warmer for a couple of hours.
The beach is a ten minute walk, but we do have a free shuttle service both to go there and come back if you had wanted it. Also I will be purchasing new outdoor furniture for around the pool before the end of this year.and upgrading the area between the two pools, so again, thank you for your comments.
So to sum up Mark, I was a little hurt when I first read your review, but after reading it three times, it is constructive, so thank you for that and your own comment " maybe your research was not good enough", about our style of resort, I think is probably correct,
Regards
Owner/manager
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Very friendly service!!!
Had the BEST green curry ever, we love Thai food! The resort is very clean so are the rooms! We stayed in one of the villas. Booked for 3 night before we went to Ko Samui and decided to go back for another 3 nights!
Every one is very friendly and helpful there. Great for couples and families ( non swimmer pool) .10 minutes walk to the beach .
Would recommend the resort to everyone who wants to stay away from the big resorts.

• Stayed March 2014
I agree with you, the Thai green curry is my favorite dish also ( like it best with chicken). I am extremely lucky to have such a talented chef, who has now been with us almost two years, Thank you also regarding your comments on our resort. Because we only have 20 rooms, we really work hard on trying to ensure every guest has a good time and that all their needs are meet, so good to read your review and your comments on our peaceful family style resort
Regards
Phil Seal Owner/manager
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This was our middle stop resort after Koh Yao. We had a three resort itinerary organised by Andaman Sky.

This place is not big but well run by a small group of very efficient people. We were thoroughly impressed with

everything at this resort. Yes, it is small, but the attitude and service of everybody, including the manager is

5 star. For a small resort, we were not expecting much in terms of food or breakfast. We were wrong, there is

quality at this resort and manager makes sure of it. We stayed  in one bedroom apartment and it was fantastic.

Simplistic yet very functional. This place is run by some very competent people and this resort deserves a worthy

mention just for this.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Eric H
Great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and your comments on the staff, service etc.
As we are only a small resort of 20 rooms, we work very hard on operating as a team, my staff are all happy to help each other, when necessary and they do genuinely try and exceed customers expectations. I have already discussed your review with them and they all feel very proud of what you have said about them. I would also like to thank you personally , for the kind words you have a said about myself
Owner/manager
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We have just returned from a week-end in Phuket and we stayed in Royal Embassy Resort.

What we liked:
- Ratio price/quality (big and clean studios)
- Excellent service and personnel
- Extras such as restaurant or possibility to rent scooter directly from the hotel

There is really not much we don't like and the resort is really peaceful and relaxing atmosphere. You need a 10 minutes walk to reach the first batch of restaurants nearby the beach (but was not a problem itself).

On Kamala beach itself and the surroundings in Phuket, lots of places have lost their charms, due to massive tourism.
We would come back to this resort again if we drop by Phuket again in future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Mrroyalembassyresort, Owner at The Pe La Resort, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Hello from Royal Embassy.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and your positive comments. So very rewarding to us, when a guest tells us "If they come back to Phuket again, they would stay with us " it really makes us all feel very proud. I am truly lucky to have such excellent staff, they really care about the resort and our guests, so nice to know when it is recognized and I always pass on guests comments to them.
Next month we are starting a free shuttle bus service in the evenings, down to the beach or other restaurants in Kamala.That will be a permanent addition to our services, to help those guests that do find the 10 minute walk annoying,
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Well I must say the owners Phillip and Ari are very good people.They run a veryFacility that has a great staff that are always there to help and assist you.They planned many excursions that I took.The Huts were awesome that I stayed in..Very unique experience in that they have a bunny that is best friends with Ari's dog..They play so well together...The beach is a nice 10 minute walk from the resort..

In closing it was a very good experience

Cheers from your Canadian friend

Room Tip: I stayed in Hut #1 and 2 and they were great..Quiet and very close to the pool
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Darren
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your stay at Royal Embassy.Resort
We are still having fabulous weather and Jack the rabbit and Jasmine the Pomeranian are still entertaining both the adults and children every evening. It was great to meet you and very rewarding to us all, that you enjoyed your stay so much
Cheers
Preston, England
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We’ve just returned from our 2nd visit to the Royal Embassy Resort.
I always maintain that going back to somewhere that you’ve previously enjoyed is a mistake as it never lives up to expectations. Thankfully that theory has been well and truly trashed – if anything it was even better the second time round.
A couple of tangible improvements since last time are; one, the food is even better following the recruitment of a top-class chef and two, there is now a complementary, on-demand tuk-tuk service to take you anywhere within the bounds of Kamala.
There have been many hundreds words written on this site about the calm serenity of this small resort, its high standards of maintenance and presentation and the exemplary service provided by Phil, Aree and their excellent team – so I won’t bother to repeat them. Suffice to say that they probably don’t do them justice.
However, I always strive to provide a bit of ‘balance’ in these reports – so here goes. There is a little bit of noise from the nearby road, the new hotel across the way does spoil the roof-line a bit and the resort is still no nearer to the beach. Ok, none of these are within the control of the owners or staff, and they are incredibly trivial – but come on guys, cut me a bit of slack, I’m struggling here.
It goes without saying that if/when we do return to Phuket we won’t even consider staying anywhere else – it’s brilliant.
Oh, and finally, I’ve pointed this out before although Trip Advisor choose to ignore the fact, but the ‘browse nearby’ map on the web-site is inaccurate. The resort is NOT located just outside of Patong as the map suggests, it is located at the southernmost end of Kamala. The agoda.com map is even worse! – the only accurate map I’ve found in under the ‘location’ button on the booking.com site. I hope you find this helpful.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank frecktripper
Hello there in the UK Thank you for taking your time to write a review on your 2nd stay with us.
To have guests stay a second time, always feels like a great compliment, but for the guest to say that the second time was even better, really makes us feel very proud, Thank you also for your constructive comments about the location maps. We were aware of Tripadvisor being wrong, but did not know about Agoda, which is being fixed currently. Tripadvisor have our restaurant, "Ambassador Bistro" located in the middle of Kamala harbour we now find out. They use the search engine ' Bing" for the maps and as yet we have not made any progress on getting our location changed, is still "work in progress"
Continuation of upgrading our facilities are still happening, to give more privacy, we have now nett curtains on the floor to ceiling windows in the lounge, of all the bungalows and should you come back for a third visit, we hope to be able to pick you up at the airport in a VIP vehicle, give you a cold drink and wet face towel, a checkin form that you can fill in on the way and we will play a short DVD on the resort, tours etc, so when you get to Royal Embassy,, all you have to do is walk to your room. This plan is also "work in progress".
From all the team at Royal Embassy, thank you and hope to see you for a 3rd time sometime in the future
Regards to you both