“What a place Great room with Stunning views Not good after care customer service”

Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas
Ranked #10 of 36 Hotels in Kamala
West Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Friends and myself stopped at the Cape sienna for 3 nights in march and booked this hotel as it had stunning views and the price was right .Arrived at Phuket Airport and pre ordered a taxi and this journey takes about 45-55 Mins to get to hotel from the Airport. We travelled on a Sunday so was not that bad. On arrival once your in the Hotel Lobby the views are stunning and was greeted by friendly staff where you received a face cloth to wipe and cool down and a drink and then your given a selection of fragrances which you want as your shower gel and shampoo in your room for your stay which was a very nice touch i must say. We arrived early around midday and was told our room was not ready and was taken on a tour of the hotel and then placed at the pool side bar where we waited for 2.5 hours for some one to clean our room . Once we was taken to our room we had a room at the end and on 2nd Floor which had Stunning views with the Jacuzzi facing the sea which was used every night and a large Balcony The Bed was very comfortable but the sink and shower could do with a refrub paint was cracked/flaking etc but other wise the Room was nice and clean. Breakfast was ok but on my trip i have had better but where you sit and eat your breakfast you had lovely views .The Plum restaurant was never busy the three nights we was there and the Vanilla Sky Bar at the top of Hotel was nice and you got stunning views of the sun set each evening and also went well with a nice cold beer. The Bar is a Little over priced for drinks but you would expect to pay that in Hotel. So overall we did enjoy our stay but the problems started on check out we had to wait a good while to be checked out we was told to take a seat and some one will be with you shortly mmmmm A female member of staff brought the final bill over and i paid cash as needed to depart as had a plane to catch the whole check out service is quite slow and long winded. Taxis at the Hotel are very expensive think i seen some other reviews state this so either pre book one or walk into Kamala which is about 10 mins. Hotel has no control over this and seems to wash there hands on this subject. Once back in Sydney checked my final invoice and noticed i had been over charged on my drinks bill from the Vanilla sky Bar and email the hotel with copies of my invoices and a couple of days later the hotel replied back admitting the error and would sort a credit to my card asap. The email stated the credit would be arranged and sent through but could take up to 2 weeks no idea why two weeks it does not take two weeks for charges to show on your card but several emails backwards and forwards to the hotel and still being told the credit is going through i received an email stating the credit note was raised on the 3rd April that's only seven days ago and i contacted the Hotel on the 20th March and i have now been waiting nearly 3.5 weeks for a credit to my card the whole customer care experience is pretty poor when its comes to Cape Sienna. It has damped my visit to cape Sienna and i doubt i will be re visiting this Hotel there are many more to choose from that would give a credit back quicker than 3.5 weeks . Shame as its a nice Hotel and enjoyed my time there

Room Tip: Choose higher Floor better views
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank RichieC82
VanillaSky123, General Manager at Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
As per my email to you:
Dear Mr. Chamberlain,

I have been advised of your issue with the lengthy process of refunding money to you which was wrongfully charged to your account.
First and foremost let me apologize to you for this incident.
Indeed it could have been solved very quickly if we would have known before or upon check out, but I understand from your review on tripadvisor that the process took rather long and you were in a hurry.

I believe some time was lost and some misunderstanding has occurred and from what I gather the time frame has been like that:
On the 19th you wrote to us and my staff immediately replied and asked for your bank account number to transfer this amount as this would be by far the quickest way. (The reply was on same day and therefore I would say quite efficient).
On only the 27th we received another email from you indicating that you were waiting for a reverse charge to your credit card. Our staff on the other hand was waiting as indicated in her email to you for your account number. (so 8 days passed without action due to waiting your account details. I believe this was a misunderstanding as you indicate in your email that you were waiting for a credit to your card in the same time).
Once received your email on 27th my staff replied to you on 28th that they have now started to process the reverse charge and it was even send to you that they have filled in the bank application (on 28th). This then went to the accounting to proof and was send to the bank on 3rd April morning. 29, 30 was a weekend. However, I agree that it was send out just a bit too slow on the 3rd April. It could and should have been send out 1-2 days earlier. For this I do apologize.

I do honestly believe that my staff has replied in the quickest way possible but thru lack of understanding some time had passed without action.

Having read your review in detail it is certainly a shame that this small amount has caused so much of an issue and spoiled your otherwise very favourable opinion of our resort.

I do hope we can close this case now and my apology for the tardiness expresses our intention to hopefully be able to Welcome you back to us.
Do write to me directly and we shall do our utmost to make your stay a great one.

Frank

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 8 April 2014

What more can I say? The moment the lift door opens to the lobby, you will be greeted with the magnificent view of the sea. The swimming pool and sun beds are a great place to relax after breakfast. The room that I stayed in had a beautiful view of the sea and the surroundings. Bed was comfy and the air-conditioning was good too! However, the temperature of the shower heads was a little bit faulty (?). It took quite a while (4-5min) for the temperature to change from cold to hot, vice versa. Cleanliness of the room could be improved as well as the room was not cleaned up properly and ants were seen around in the room.

That aside, the breakfast was okay. The hotel staff are very friendly and polite! We tried the spa in the hotel and the massage was great too. Overall, we had a good time at the hotel. I would recommend it to couples who want an intimate time away from the crowd..

Room Tip: Request a higher floor so that you can enjoy the excellent view Try to get a corner unit so that yo...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sean L
Dear Sean L,

....same here...what more can we say? Simply fantastic. We are very happy that you enjoyed your time with us greatly and have taken the time to express it.

Looking forward to Welcome you back soon again.

Laval, Canada
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in March 2014, on our third and last week in Thailand.
Our room was very amazing. Very big room, big comfortable bed, corner unit with huge balcony with a Jacuzzi outside, which we used every night. We had a view of the Andaman sea, Kamala beach and a private condo resort (Andara). There are two pools, the smaller one down by the villas is much more quiet and the view is really great. (infinite pool facing the ocean) Yes, you have much walking and climbing stairs at this hotel, which is built on a mountain side. This did not bother us, good for shedding the calories of poolside drinks. Breakfast was good, but not the best we had in Thailand. Taxis at hotel are more expensive than any other place we visited in Thailand. We refused to pay that price so we walked to town which was just about a 10-15 minute walk, no big deal Also, we found many great restaurants in town at good prices. Hotel has a shuttle every day to go to Patong, but you have to reserve in advance. We enjoyed our stay at this hotel, particularly our room (view) and the small pool area.

Room Tip: Definitely worth it having a room with a Jacuzzi, corner room on a higher level for the view.
2 Thank Traveling_Bbys
Dear Travelling_Bbys,

thank you very much for your nice review.
We are glad you had an enjoyable time with us and shared some nice photos on tripadvisor.

Looking forward to Welcome you back in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Nice property with a few drawbacks .
This resort is quite a walk from the beach and has one of those pools where you feel like you are constantly on display .
Sun glasses on your head , full make up and high heels are the norm at breakfast , which is a very good breakfast .
Many rooms have what can best be described as partial views , the first room we had the view was very limited we asked to be moved and this was acheived with out any fuss.A better view but still not as good as is promoted .
The staff here are very helpfull , competent and quick .
Beds are comfortable with good aircon .
Most rooms have to be accessed by both steps and elevators .
All in all an acceptable holiday but over priced and I would not return
Cheers Barry

Room Tip: The higher you go the better .
2 Thank bazkiri
VanillaSky123, General Manager at Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Dear Bazkiri,

thank you for your review.
We are a little surprised in parts about this review.
Indeed the main pool is near the restaurant and I can understand your feeling about it; our second pool at Sienna Rocks is more private and quiet.
Now, high heels and full make up at breakfast is however a bit strange...., most guests are very relaxed in shorts and sandals and there is no dress code for breakfast.
All rooms face straight out to the sea and only a couple of rooms have some branches of trees together with the sea views.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed there for 4 nights at this hotel. i had booked a seaview room. they gave upon arrival another room which was not whaz i have booked. When i upgraded to Penthouse suite, the aircondition in the masterbedroom was not working. it had a nice view and a jacuzzi on the balcony. i had 3 days empty papers on the livingroom table which were empty from packed croissants. they were never removed. i complained about the rain shower from the first day. it was never fixed! when i opened it, it went to every direction but not downwards. the cleaning of the room was not what you expact for a penthouse. you had to have towel cards in the hotel pool to get your towels. its a policy maybe but i am really sorry. we are in the year 2014. i asked to speak to the manager and it never happened. all my complains were ignored and the only thing the hotel did, after i informed them so many times was at the end of the bill discount 2500 baht. i was not looking to stay for free. just a bit more guez relation and fix problems. the pool is ok, the menu has almost all thai foods. its next to andara and 5 min walk from kemala beach and 10-15 drive from patong. low budget hotel is fine. but dont expect to much for this hotel. service sucks and its really old!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Worldtraveller1900
Dear WorldTraveller1900,

We are very sad that you did not felt our services were up to your expectations.
The booking we received for your room was for a studio room, which we had assigned upon arrival. After your discussion with our staff (Mike) you wanted to upgrade to the Penthouse and we did offer you a very good rate for that.
The air conditioning indeed stopped working on that date and had to be fixed which took 2 hours.
We don't seem to have any record of the shower not working properly and I have asked my engineer to check it out.
Unfortunately I did not have a chance to speak to you as you have asked to see a manager on the weekend and on that Monday (your check out day) I had prior appointments outside the resort in the morning.
I have also spoken and briefed our housekeeping staff as cleaning standards are very important for all our rooms and I can only apologize for the shortcomings you have encountered. I do thank you for bringing it to our attention, as it will help us to further strengthen our commitment to service and the never ending task of improving wherever possible.
Once again, we do wish you would give us another try, to show you that we have well noted your comments.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014

WE had stunning sea views from our balcony- even from the shower room.The jacuzzi on the balcony was certainly different.Our room and the hotel itself was spotlessly clean.The lower pool was better in the sense that it was quieter- the jacuzzis were a bonus.It was great soaking in the bubbles whilst taking in the views.A little bit of a climb to get from the town to the hotel.Local taxi's about half price compared to the hotel.Staff were very efficient and helpful except the grumpy guy at the lower pool bar.A much bigger hotel than I usually go to and was not surprised to see guests booking sun beds early in the morning with their towels.Maybe all a bit formal for me but could not really fault the hotel.

Room Tip: The higher the room the better the view
1 Thank hamishb866
Dear Hamishb86,

thank you for you nice comments about our resort and we are happy you enjoyed your time with us.
Looking forward to Welcome you back here soon.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 3 April 2014

The breakfast spread is very good and delicious, rooms are clean, we has a seaview studio room at blk 3 overlooking a road .Also beware there is no bathtub which i thought there is for a relaxing bath. It's really amazing seaview. Lots of sun chairs and cabanas which i did not have a chance to enjoy as i have slight sunburn towards last day. had a walk to all the restaurant, if you are planning a romantic night out, try fine dining at Plum, if a casual dinner, go to the poolside, great choices of food too. Tried Indian head massage at the spa, it's fantastically relaxing that i left my jewelleries behind, but the staff are honest enough to remind me :). pity the massage was not a full 60 mins. Can try thr pool with beach settings at Sienna rocks across the road too. Much more relaxing here than Patong. but Patong have more choices for buying and food of course.

Room Tip: Seaview is a must!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear MichelleL,

thank you very much for you nice review, much appreciated.
We are glad you enjoyed your time with us and felt it was very good value for money.

Looking forward to Welcome you back soon.

Frank Dreist
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamala
Keemala
#4 of 36 in Kamala
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort
Ayara Kamala Resort & Spa

Been to Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!