“Tip-top establishment”

Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Kamala
Chiang Rai, Thailand
“Tip-top establishment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

This is a great place, comfortable, friendly with very high standards in every aspect. Booking more than 40 days in advance, the two of us got a very good deal on one of their 'sea-view deluxe jacuzzi' rooms at USD812 for five nights. The room was spacious, with a very high ceiling; large bedroom area, sitting area with sofas by the window; an enormous balcony (we were on the corner of the building) with a very large double jacuzzi in its own alcove; separate toilet and shower and a big wash-basin/vanity area. There was a decent work-desk and chair, good wardrobe and storage space and well stocked mini-bar as well as coffee, and a range of hard liquor and snacks (these were, as usual in most hotels, too pricey to be an attractive proposition).

Although the marketing photos give the impression that the hotel is on the beach, it's actually on a very steep hillside about fifty metres away, with a road running past the front. The villas are on the shore side of the road, though I don't think there's a beach as such below them. Kamala beach itself (of which there are great views from the hotel) is about two kms away, down the hill. The views of Kamala and far out into the Andaman Sea are stunning and we spent many hours happily sitting on our balcony with a G&T in hand, just enjoying the view and the ever-changing weather of the monsoon season (some very dramatic storms with strong winds and intense downpours).

The breakfast buffet, included in the day-rate, was really excellent with a wide range of breads and pastries; western-style eggs and bacon; fruit, cheese, some rice and Asian dishes, cold meat, salad and so on. PLUM, the main restaurant is a very classy place indeed. We ate dinner there twice with our more extravagant evening costing USD155, including a splendid bottle of Montepulciano. We had exceptional beef and lamb, terrific cheese board, interesting starters (one, delicious larb salmon, a kind of northern Thai fusion dish) and exceptionally friendly, attentive, efficient service. Really five star quality in every detail - except, I must report, the bread which was not up to standard and we discussed that with the maitre d' who agreed that they hadn't quite got that sorted.

The main swimming pool is very attractive with a large sea-view patio just beyond it. There's a second pool down by the sea (near the villas) where you can have a drink and food also.

We did have miniature ants in the room on some days round the wash-basin and near the snacks, but we weren't seriously troubled by them. The lift to our fourth floor was out of order for three days which we thought was a bit poor, but managed to walk the two floors from the main hotel level while older or less mobile guests might have had some difficulty. Room cleaning and service was pretty good, though on a couple of days they did not have enough clean towels and sheets to replace everything until late in the afternoon.

The jacuzzi was a great treat: after a big dinner, to sit in bubbling water in the open air and look out over the Andaman Sea by candle-light was memorable and luxurious.

Without exception, staff were friendly and attentive. Room service was fast and delivered good food and coffee.

The hotel provides a shuttle to Patong but we had a hire car and were grateful for the foresight: Cape Sienna is not really close enough to anywhere to walk (even to Kamala beach, especially with the long haul up the hill on the way back). Many of the guests were Asians on group tours, so their transport was provided for, but I would not have wished to be stranded without my own vehicle.

A really terrifiic place for anyone looking for quality and relaxation; not for those wanting easy access to night-life or big beach entertainment.

Room Tip: Sea-view essential; we had a corner room which gave us a great sense of luxury, privacy and space, h...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
VanillaSky123, General Manager at Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear BPJH,

thank you very much for a fantastic review. Seen that you have reviewed many places it is a pleasure to score so high in your view.

Great to see that you enjoyed our services and especially PLUM.

Just one little correction: the hotel is only 400 meters from main Kamala beach, not 2km. It might seem longer on the way back with the little incline.

Frank Dreist

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

After reviewing many places online we finally decided on cape sienna and I'm so glad we did. I Stayed here for 10 nights with my bf in March. The hotel setting is beautiful, on a slight hill with a stunning view over the ocean. We booked a jacuzzi room which I highly recommend, all jacuzzi rooms have sea view. Rooms are lovely, very modern and cleaned daily. We were very impressed with our welcome and the friendliness of the staff who were very attentive. We were only meant to stay 5 nights then move to another hotel but we liked it so much we stayed on. Massage is a bit pricey in hotel so we walked down the street to the local area for that and we ate out a few times in Kamala, recommend Bua which is 5min walk from hotel, chef delivered our food personally and food was great, we went back a few times . We ate in the hotel as well but of course you will pay a bit more but they have theme nights like seafood or tapas etc which we really enjoyed and I couldn't fault the food in any way. We booked our tours online since it's cheaper, I've been to Thailand many times as I'm cabin crew and recommend ALP tours for the phi phi island trip! We also went on the elephant trip (booked on phuket tours online) and went into the lively patong one night as good for shopping or if you want a night out. I've recommended this hotel for my cousin and wife who are now there on their honeymoon and they love it. Thanks for a great holiday cape sienna! We will be back

Room Tip: Jacuzzi room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Peeb1
Dear Peeb1,

thank you very much for your great review.

We are very happy that you enjoyed yourself so much that you actually extended your stay instead of moving somewhere else as initially planned.
Your comments about our food offerings are well appreciated as we always strive to give good value for money and diversity.

Thank you for recommending us to your cousin for their honeymoon and very glad they enjoyed it as well.

Kathu
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Kamala is a great place to stay on Phuket if you want a break from the other tourist ravaged areas of the island. We had a weekend escape at Cape Sienna and enjoyed it very much. The desk staff were extremely gracious, the room was comfortably sized, with a spectacular view. Everything was clean and in good working order. There are two pools. Onsite food was good with western and asian styles. Great workout room. Very resaonable price for what we got. We will definitely go back and recommend it to friends. We benefited from having a car. Not sure how it works without one. Although we went in the "wet" season, we had absolutely perfect weather the entire weekend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear William M,

thank you for your nice review.
Glad you enjoyed your little Getaway weekend nearby.

With best Regards,

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

This was a surprise holiday and we were so glad to be away from Patong, yet it is only a short taxi trip there. This is a great hotel, private and well appointed. Our penthouse was 2 level and huge, with a full kitchen that we didn't use. Our private jacuzzi and massive day bed was on the huge balcony overlooking Kamala Beach. The quality of the food available there was really good. We enjoyed the rooftop bar each night, taking advantage of their Happy Hour each evening! Breakfast was included and was delicious. Their day spa had Sydney prices, and so we walked to Kamala Beach for our daily massage. The only complaint is that they need to have more than one return shuttle to Patong each day evening, as it gets booked up very quickly!

Room Tip: Loved the penthouse.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Susieque29,

thank you for your nice review.

We are glad you enjoyed our nice Penthouse and our food. Our spa has many promotions per month and of course is on a different level than on the beach.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed in a room with attached jacuzzi - the room is nice and big, but the TV is rather small and I am shocked to see a queen size bed instead of a king size bed as I thought its pretty common for hotels/resorts to have king size bed. Anyway, the reason for booking a room with attached tub and sea view is because I wanted to enjoy both at the same time; however, I was not able to do so as the tub is located in the balcony and not within the room. And guests from the opposite block and the floor above my room have full access to my room's balcony (including the tub). Although, I was wearing a swimsuit, I am not comfortable with the lacked of privacy. Also, I could not see the sea view at all while in the tub. The location of the tub is completely wrong!

I booked a day trip with a taxi driver the day earlier and was rather happy with his services; hence, I told him to pick me up from cape sienna the next day as I needed a ride back to Patong Beach. However, he is not willing do. He told me that no one is allowed to pick up guests from cape sienna and I can only get a cab through the hotel. And it cost me THB500 to travel to Patong Beach. I think I got ripped off...

There's nothing near cape sienna. Hence, guests should be prepared to stay in the resort the whole day or be prepared to spend a lot on transportation, OR be prepared to walk a lot.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sneeziehamster
Dear Sneeziehamster,

thank you for your review.
I am a little surprised about some of the issues you raise.
All our rooms have King Size beds, we don't have Queen size. All our double beds are about 180x200cm.
On every website we feature clearly that our Jacuzzi bathtub is on the balcony for guests to enjoy the view, which I was also surprised to read you say you could not do in the tub. As the Jacuzzi is on the outside balcony it is in direct straight view to the sea.
Privacy: There is no possibility of guests from above to look down really into the lower balconies, but from some areas there might be a slight view to the balcony of some rooms.

There is no more taxi stand in front of our hotel and the whole system of Phuket has been drastically changed since the military took over beginning of June.

The resort is 400 meters from main Kamala Beach. Phuket Fantasea is located in Kamala, but for main department stores the closest would be Patong.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

We asked our travel agent ( the team at Andaman Adventures ) to get us out of Patong and to surprise us ! Boy they did – we had never heard of Cape Sienna. This was a happy discovery for us. The hotel is operated very professionally, you always feel looked after and taken care of. Everyone at the hotel was always very, very friendly and our room was, well, just great ! Real classy, modern luxury style with beautiful oceanviews, and quiet. The breakfast was huge. We can recommend this resort!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Nicole S,

thank you very much for this nice review.
Indeed our location is quite unique, being the closest to Patong you can get, without being in Patong. So if you must go, it will take only 15min. Otherwise you can just enjoy the peace and tranquility of Kamala Beach, which I reckon you coming from Chiang Mai was quite nice.

Looking forward to Welcome you back in the near future.

Caerphilly, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

I travelled to Thailand to look after my brother who had an emergency eye operation whilst holidaying. This meant we needed somewhere of a good standard for my brother to recuperate, what we didn't expect was the luxurious surroundings of the Cape Sienna. Both pools are a lovely relaxing sanctuary, the food was amazing and had a great selection as we had to eat nearly all our meals at the hotel. There was also some great entertainment on in the evenings too. We had the pleasure of staying in 3 different rooms, all had a view of the sea, we went from studio room to a jacuzzi room, to a jacuzzi deluxe room and back to a studio room due to our unbooked stay and they were all of an excellent standard. The best thing about this hotel was how the staff bent over backwards to help my brother and I at this difficult time to turn what at the start was a horrible nightmare into a luxurious, relaxing holiday. I highly recommend staying here!

Room Tip: The Jacuzzi deluxe was amazing, somewhere I would love to live not just stay! :)
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Timbishop_co_uk,

thank you so much for your nice words.
It is very motivating to hear that my team did such a great job and managed to turn a nightmare into a somewhat acceptable experience with the operation of your brother.

We do hope that you will be coming back for a "regular" stay with us in the near future.

Frank Dreist
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamala
Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach
U Zenmaya Phuket
U Zenmaya Phuket
#4 of 36 in Kamala
Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Mandarava Resort and Spa
Kamala Beach Resort (a Sunprime Resort)

Been to Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!