“Hotel ambience is great but far away from everything!!”

Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Kamala
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
“Hotel ambience is great but far away from everything!!”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Okay if I want to review about the hotel firstly I need to review on phuket. The weather sucks in July. We almost spent the whole day at the hotel for the rough weather. Thank god that the hotel has a very good pool & vanilla sky bar where we can chill & enjoy the beautiful view of the sea. Cape Sienna is overall a fancy hotel but 4/5 star quality. The rooms are not spacious enough. Hotel restaurants serves good quality food though. One thing I would like to mention about renting a texi from the hotel. They charges 1500 bath from the hotel to nearest kalim bay or Patong beach which are very near from the hotel. They obviously should look upon on this taxi issue. Overall it was bittersweet experience. The weather is very bad at this season so I would recommend everyone to think twice before traveling to phuket during June-August.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Maisha I

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 20 July 2014

On the surface a great hotel. We enjoyed the setting, service and sunset views. However our trip was significantly soured when we went to leave for the airport and found our driver wanted nearly 50% more for the trip to the airport than we paid getting there.

We tolerated the price gouging by the taxis during the duration of our four day stay. We routinely payed 500 baht for 10 minute journeys, twice what we pay in Singapore. However the trip back to the airport was the last straw as it was so inconsistent.

When we asked the hotel staff for their help they simply denied all responsibility. I patiently explained that they can black list drivers that will take advantage of their guests. Their response was that "This hotel is on Millionaire Mile, so the drivers charge whatever they want." So basically it's not their problem - effectively siding with the drivers instead of their hotel guests.

My partner and I walked 5 minutes down the road and managed to get the same fare we paid on the way out. A real shame as we enjoyed our stay up until the end. There just reaches a point for everyone where the price gouging gets to be too much.

In response to other reviews Cape Sienna Hotel mentions they would like the taxi system to change, yet does nothing to make this happen. Thanks to their inaction we won't be staying with them again and we'll encourage our friends and business partners to do the same.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Kiwiwannabe81
VanillaSky123, General Manager at Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Kiwiwannabe81,

Your comments and review is rather unfair to us.
The review should be about the hotel, which you actually said you enjoyed.

The taxi services are offered by an outside taxi stand and indeed we do or rather did (as by now, or since beginning June there is no more such stand and all taxi services on Phuket have been restructured by the military government following years of reports by tour companies as well as hotels, ours included) not have any influence on their prices nor do/did we have a relationship with them.
You cannot blame the hotel for what an outside company charges you, it is your choice to use them or someone else.
The taxi system in Phuket was an island wide issue, ongoing for very long and we are extremely happy that the action of the government has finally done something about it.

Philadelphia
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I'm not sure if I would call this hotel a five star hotel. 3 and a half star at best. When we first checked into our room, I was less than impressed with their attention to detail in the room-- ie. painting job, the size of the TV, the queen sized bed ( they wrote king size but it's not) and the fact that the room was quite far from the lobby. The good news is that this room had a nice balcony that overlooked the ocean and we were able to enjoy the nice breeze coming in from the balcony into our suite. We pretty much did laundry ourselves and hung all our clothes in the balcony. Room was otherwise spacious and was okay. So, what was disappointing was their service at the restaurant. We dined at Plum on the first night we were there. This waitress who intermittently served us had the worst attitude and I almost thought about leaving the restaurant. I was already not entirely happy with the room and this happened. Half way through dinner I accidentally dropped my fork. While I was struggling to grab my utensil, this lady just watched me suffer while I was trying to retrieve the fork on my own. She was literally stood right behind me and didn't care to say a word. What the hell?! Anyone in their right conscience, if you were in the restaurant business, would not only pick up the fork and would also offer to get a new one. She just stood there did nothing about it. When I turned around and ask her a fork ( at that point I was already annoyed) she looked pissed off and pretty much tossed a new fork onto my table. And walked away. She walked away. I was mortified. This kind of behavior is unacceptable. That incident I'll never forget. The rest of the 3 days felt like forever. I shouldn't be feeling like this on my honeymoon. Food and drinks there were also overpriced and their food was just adequate. Nothing great. Overall I would not recommend this place. I wish I chose a different hotel. Especially on my damn honeymoon.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank shokow
Dear Shokow,

after so many great reviews lately, i must admit I am saddened to see that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
I wonder why you say our beds are Queen size, as they are not. they are 180x200cm, which is King Size.
The incident at PLUM is indeed very strange as we have extremely high customer satisfaction in this restaurant for food and service especially and never have I seen my staff behaving in a similar way you describe as it would be very Un-Thai to be rude.

I do apologize for not being able to meet your expectations.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Great stay at this resort, which was the last destination in our tour of the andaman region with andaman adventuures, who BTW did a great job of putting together our tour – if you want to see the region and not worry about transfers, they’re the people to talk to. The Cape Sienna was a very pleasant item in our itinerary, top marks for great food (especially the breakfasts, which featured all sorts of goodies), a luxurious room at a reasonable price, smiling staff and a good location, nice spot they have at this resort. So, yes, all in all a good place to stay and one I would return to and advise others to visit too.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank D_Jac0bs
Dear D_Jacobs,

thank you for a nice review.
Happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Looking forward to Welcome you back soon again.

With Best REgards,

Vietnam
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Amazing place with fantastic views from any part of the resort. Our sea view studio was very comfy and well designed. The Vanilla sky bar is doing great cocktails. Only improvements could be the breakfast, quite basic, and the food by the pool is overpriced for what it is.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank thomas136Vietnam
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2014

just spent 7 nights here and can honestly say that we could not fault any aspect of this resort. it has ambiance, location, food choice, service and nothing was an issue for the staff to perform. truly a very bright star in the expectations of what Thailand has to offer,. they promised and they delivered. definitely has European influence with an Italian head chef. will stay here again regardless of season. stunning full views of Kamala Bay, use the taxis / tuk tuks as the hill will beat you after a few drinks at night.. truly, truly stunning. thank you for raising the bar on levels of service that others only wish for.

Room Tip: building 2 is closer to the action. and we believe most rooms have ocean views.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lou P
Dear Lou p,

Wow....what can i say....just Thank you. Your words truly went down like a good old drop of wine.
We are very glad you truly enjoyed our product and services and congrats to my team for this.

Looking forward to Welcome you back in the near future.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed here from June 23-28, during off season, but let me just say it was definitely ON season for my cousin and I!!! From the warm welcome late at night to the final goodbye. The staff here is so friendly and willing to assist you in anything!! We were greeted with a wet towel and a drink at check in (we arrived a little after midnight). Our first impression of out two bed room was that it was very nice and chic, we knew we had a sea view because we could hear the waves crashing. In the morning we were welcomed by a gorgeous view and the sun shining!!! Room service is exceptional, we called for ice a few times and within a minute it arrived!! Every evening there was a little note with a flower on the bed, we found it to be such a sweet touch.
The food selection at the pool restaurant is delicious and the drinks as well!!
The beach, Kamala, is only a short walk down hill, about 5 minutes. Kamala Beach is about a 15min drive from Patong. The lovely staff will hail a cab for you and tell them where you are going, they usually charged us 500tbh. We loved that Cape Sienna was close enough to get to Patong, but far from the hussle and bussle of Patong. Our sleep was never disturbed and we did not experience any loud or obnoxious drunk people. It was perfect. Oh, and one more thing whatever the candle scent they light up in the rooms sleeps amaaazing!!!

Room Tip: we stayed in building 3, great views!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear MVLYNN27,

thank you very much for your lovely review.

We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay and our services and staff.
Nice comments about our food and little 'extras' are well appreciated.

Looking forward to Welcome you back soon again.

with Best Regards,

Frank Dreist
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamala
Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach
U Zenmaya Phuket
U Zenmaya Phuket
#3 of 36 in Kamala
Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Mandarava Resort and Spa
Kamala Beach Resort (a Sunprime Resort)

Been to Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!