“The place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Kamala
Broadbeach, Australia
“The place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

We just had 4 nights at Cape Sienna & absolutely loved it. The entire place is gorgeous & the pool areas are just brilliant. Don't miss happy hour in the sky bar. A real treat with tapas & beers at sunset over the Andaman sea.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
VanillaSky123, General Manager at Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear David M,

many thanks for a nice review.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to be able to Welcome you back soon again.

Best Regards,

Frank Dreist

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Darwin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Wanted to spend a quiet 4 nights with an old friend at Kamala in July. Chose Cape Sienna because it is a bit isolated, has great views and the idea of private Jacuzzi on the balcony was most attractive. The property looks like it was designed by a genius but built by Basil Fawlty's Mr Orielly. Great efforts were clearly made to ensure stunning views from all rooms and public areas however the showpiece of it all, reception, was neglected by leaving an ugly big power line and associated equipment smack bang in the centre of the landscape. It surely could have been redirected underground during or post construction. As it was low season, check in was efficient without all the boot licking and carry on. Warm enough but not overwhelmingly friendly. Although permitted to check in early the electrician remained in the room for about 20 minutes doing some final maintenance as there had been a power outage to the building following an early morning storm. The room itself was roomy, well designed and comfortable. Bed was comfortable and everything seemed to work fine. What was disappointing was the glaring sloppy finishes to what could be a 5 star room. The hand basin was some strangely shaped resin built device which was painted with some non descript green, colour poorly aligned so that the water would not run away freely. Tiles chipped, paint work was appalling with stains all over flooring, tiles and bathroom fixtures. The hand rails on the balcony were painted rather than powder coated so they were all flaky and bubbly and in desperate need of maintenance. It was comforting to see some maintenance and pressure cleaning going on around the resort during the low season but I appreciate the management don't want to disrupt low season guests with noisy industrial work that is required to bring the resort up to the 5 star it could be. Breakfast was adequate but far from the finest we had seen. The setting for breakfast was wonderful and by mid morning when all the tourist buses had collected their punters there was much space and 5 star service to be enjoyed around the pool and dining area. Plenty of sun lounges for everyone and don't forget the infinity pool 30 meters down and across the road called Sienna Rocks. Spectacular and well serviced. We sampled several Thai dishes from the menu over 4 days and all were first class and reasonably priced. Although the weather was generally overcast and windy the resort is a terrific place to rest and recreate. There is a gym, pool table and tennis Court. Kamala village is just a 10 minute walk down the road and there are some reasonable places for a cold beer with a view. Taxi prices arranged by the hotel are about 30%higher than what you can negotiate down in the village however the vehicles used by the hotel taxi alliance are quality clean vehicles with safe drivers who can communicate reasonably well in English. Hardly saw any tourists around the village so many businesses were closed or opened much later in the day. Recommend massage in the big beach pavilion attached to the Sunwing resort.

Overall I would return for a quiet weekend away and recommend couples to give it a go.

Room Tip: Go for the Jacuzzi on balcony room. It was a pleasure to sit in hot tub watching storms across the b...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Cleanliness
4 Thank MatronDarwin
VanillaSky123, General Manager at Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear MatronDarwin,

thank you for your review.

We are glad you overall enjoyed your stay enough to want to come back.
Indeed low season is the time when we go thru all rooms and do touch ups, repaints, etc.
As the design is modern, this has and is done every year.
The electric power lines are from the government and although promised to us that they will put them underground eventually, they have not done so yet. Things sometimes take time....especially on government level....

Looking forward to Welcome you back in the near future.

Dhaka City, Bangladesh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Okay if I want to review about the hotel firstly I need to review on phuket. The weather sucks in July. We almost spent the whole day at the hotel for the rough weather. Thank god that the hotel has a very good pool & vanilla sky bar where we can chill & enjoy the beautiful view of the sea. Cape Sienna is overall a fancy hotel but 4/5 star quality. The rooms are not spacious enough. Hotel restaurants serves good quality food though. One thing I would like to mention about renting a texi from the hotel. They charges 1500 bath from the hotel to nearest kalim bay or Patong beach which are very near from the hotel. They obviously should look upon on this taxi issue. Overall it was bittersweet experience. The weather is very bad at this season so I would recommend everyone to think twice before traveling to phuket during June-August.

• Stayed July 2014
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Maisha I
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

On the surface a great hotel. We enjoyed the setting, service and sunset views. However our trip was significantly soured when we went to leave for the airport and found our driver wanted nearly 50% more for the trip to the airport than we paid getting there.

We tolerated the price gouging by the taxis during the duration of our four day stay. We routinely payed 500 baht for 10 minute journeys, twice what we pay in Singapore. However the trip back to the airport was the last straw as it was so inconsistent.

When we asked the hotel staff for their help they simply denied all responsibility. I patiently explained that they can black list drivers that will take advantage of their guests. Their response was that "This hotel is on Millionaire Mile, so the drivers charge whatever they want." So basically it's not their problem - effectively siding with the drivers instead of their hotel guests.

My partner and I walked 5 minutes down the road and managed to get the same fare we paid on the way out. A real shame as we enjoyed our stay up until the end. There just reaches a point for everyone where the price gouging gets to be too much.

In response to other reviews Cape Sienna Hotel mentions they would like the taxi system to change, yet does nothing to make this happen. Thanks to their inaction we won't be staying with them again and we'll encourage our friends and business partners to do the same.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Kiwiwannabe81
Dear Kiwiwannabe81,

Your comments and review is rather unfair to us.
The review should be about the hotel, which you actually said you enjoyed.

The taxi services are offered by an outside taxi stand and indeed we do or rather did (as by now, or since beginning June there is no more such stand and all taxi services on Phuket have been restructured by the military government following years of reports by tour companies as well as hotels, ours included) not have any influence on their prices nor do/did we have a relationship with them.
You cannot blame the hotel for what an outside company charges you, it is your choice to use them or someone else.
The taxi system in Phuket was an island wide issue, ongoing for very long and we are extremely happy that the action of the government has finally done something about it.

Philadelphia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I'm not sure if I would call this hotel a five star hotel. 3 and a half star at best. When we first checked into our room, I was less than impressed with their attention to detail in the room-- ie. painting job, the size of the TV, the queen sized bed ( they wrote king size but it's not) and the fact that the room was quite far from the lobby. The good news is that this room had a nice balcony that overlooked the ocean and we were able to enjoy the nice breeze coming in from the balcony into our suite. We pretty much did laundry ourselves and hung all our clothes in the balcony. Room was otherwise spacious and was okay. So, what was disappointing was their service at the restaurant. We dined at Plum on the first night we were there. This waitress who intermittently served us had the worst attitude and I almost thought about leaving the restaurant. I was already not entirely happy with the room and this happened. Half way through dinner I accidentally dropped my fork. While I was struggling to grab my utensil, this lady just watched me suffer while I was trying to retrieve the fork on my own. She was literally stood right behind me and didn't care to say a word. What the hell?! Anyone in their right conscience, if you were in the restaurant business, would not only pick up the fork and would also offer to get a new one. She just stood there did nothing about it. When I turned around and ask her a fork ( at that point I was already annoyed) she looked pissed off and pretty much tossed a new fork onto my table. And walked away. She walked away. I was mortified. This kind of behavior is unacceptable. That incident I'll never forget. The rest of the 3 days felt like forever. I shouldn't be feeling like this on my honeymoon. Food and drinks there were also overpriced and their food was just adequate. Nothing great. Overall I would not recommend this place. I wish I chose a different hotel. Especially on my damn honeymoon.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank shokow
Dear Shokow,

after so many great reviews lately, i must admit I am saddened to see that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
I wonder why you say our beds are Queen size, as they are not. they are 180x200cm, which is King Size.
The incident at PLUM is indeed very strange as we have extremely high customer satisfaction in this restaurant for food and service especially and never have I seen my staff behaving in a similar way you describe as it would be very Un-Thai to be rude.

I do apologize for not being able to meet your expectations.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Great stay at this resort, which was the last destination in our tour of the andaman region with andaman adventuures, who BTW did a great job of putting together our tour – if you want to see the region and not worry about transfers, they’re the people to talk to. The Cape Sienna was a very pleasant item in our itinerary, top marks for great food (especially the breakfasts, which featured all sorts of goodies), a luxurious room at a reasonable price, smiling staff and a good location, nice spot they have at this resort. So, yes, all in all a good place to stay and one I would return to and advise others to visit too.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank D_Jac0bs
Dear D_Jacobs,

thank you for a nice review.
Happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Looking forward to Welcome you back soon again.

With Best REgards,

Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Amazing place with fantastic views from any part of the resort. Our sea view studio was very comfy and well designed. The Vanilla sky bar is doing great cocktails. Only improvements could be the breakfast, quite basic, and the food by the pool is overpriced for what it is.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank thomas136Vietnam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamala
Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach
Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort
U Zenmaya Phuket
U Zenmaya Phuket
#3 of 36 in Kamala
Mandarava Resort and Spa
Kamala Beach Resort (a Sunprime Resort)
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa

Been to Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!