“Great hotel for honeymooners but a little isolated”

Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas
Ranked #10 of 35 Hotels in Kamala
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We booked 2 nights at Jacuzzi Room for our honeymoon.

The whole concept of the hotel, including the Jacuzzi room is very modern and soothing. It suits our personality a lot as we spent most of the time at the balcony or Jacuzzi reading a book or just observing the tide. Some of the things that I don't see often in other hotels include the aromatic scent at night and the thick bathroom slippers which I appreciated.

However, the basin and shower design niggles me as dirty water do not flow to the drain immediately. The shower drain looks pretty clogged too. The glass at the Jacuzzi is also so high that when I sit down, I can't really see anything. I just felt what a waste.

The breakfast was decent though it was not the best selection that I had in Thailand's hotels. On the other hand, I also had the worst Phad Thai with pork during lunch at the poolside restaurant.That is not acceptable to me for a hotel-priced dish.

I visited the gym and it was one of the most impressive gyms I had ever seen for a hotel. It is a pity nobody uses it (neither did I have the time this time) or comment about it.

The spa in this hotel was also fantastic too but expect it at hotel price. I tried the Cape Sienna Massage and I love the combination.

This hotel is still a little isolated in my opinion. The nearest 7-11 is about 10 minutes walk and the kamala beach is about 20 minutes walk. There is only one shuttle to kamala every morning and one shuttle to Patong in the evening. The one to Patong is also always full though I managed to book the day before. Other than that, if I had wanted to get to other parts of Phuket, I will have to deal with the notorious ridiculous tuktuk fare. Speaking of which, I wonder if the hotel could provide more regular shuttle service to Patong though.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay thoroughly and will consider going back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank auzag
VanillaSky123, General Manager at Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Auzag,

thank you for your nice review.

You have mentioned a few design issues and I have asked my engineers to check the shower, as we usually have no such issues with drainage.
The glass at the Jacuzzi unfortunately has to be that high for safety laws.

I have discussed the issue about the Pad Thai with our Chef and he is retraining the staff again. It is a dish which we sell a lot and get lots of good feedback, so one of our cooks must have really had a bad day, for which we apologize.

What concern isolation: In fact the nearest 7/11 is about 350m from the hotel entrance and the beach about 450m. Most of the guests staying with us do prefer the distance to Patong, to be able to be in 'peace' but still not too far away from it. We are the nearest you can get to Patong without staying there in a way.

We are glad that despite some of the issues you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and looking forward to Welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed just for 2 nights at Cape Sienna and really enjoyed our stay (with a few exceptions). The lobby and pool area are just lovely. Amazing views over the water, very well designed, very comfortable, and just overall really appealing. You can also walk down to Sienna Rocks for a slightly more secluded pool area. It's pretty small but there were never many people there.

The hotel is perfectly located (in my opinion) up from Kamala Beach. It is NOT on the beach, but then you wouldn't get the amazing views. I definitely recommend a sunset drink at the Vanilla Sky Bar (complete with prawn chips). We were given a room with an equally amazing view (although they wouldn't all have that) and were really pleased with it.

Although there are always minor improvements that can be made, my one big complaint is that the restaurant and bar staff (Vanilla Sky and Plum) refused to give us free water. It's as easy as boiling water and putting it over ice but they insisted that our only option was to buy a 90BHT small water bottle that costs 10BHT at the 711 down the street. I think this is extremely cheap of the hotel and pretty ridiculous of an international standard restaurant. I hope management will change this...a small effort that makes a big difference. The pool staff happily provided us with free ice water earlier that day so we found this all a bit odd.

As many reviews have mentioned, transportation options are overpriced and slim. The only option is to use the hotel's taxi. However, I also realize this is Phuket and they're just trying to be competitive.

To end on a positive note, we decided to venture into Patong one day for lunch and within 10 minutes of seeing what Patong had to offer (nothing) we were back in a tuk tuk to Cape Sienna. We very much enjoyed our two days relaxing at Cape Sienna and despite some minor issues, we would stay again.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the upper floors to get a good view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank DJ1802

Dear DJ1802,

thank you for your good review and feedback.

We have well noted your comment about the 'free water' and I have briefed my staff accordingly. In fact they do usually first ask the customer if they prefer still or sparkling water, being our more upmarket restaurant. However if guests so require will serve 'free water'.

Glad you enjoyed your stay otherwise and our location, being peaceful but not far away from the 'hussle & buzzle" of Patong if so required.

With best Regards,

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I booked this Resort for 2 Nights . We travelled as a honeymooner . We booked Sea View Jacuzzi Deluxe Room .

Room :
1. Beautiful view
2. Jacuzzi in Balcony

Service :
1. Hotel Management responds to mail solves issue .
2. I asked for Check in at 12 Noon they did it . Usual check in time 2:00 PM
3. Room Service speedy ( Asked for water in middle of night )
4. Spa is good . ( Got one for one free offer . July Deals )
5. Breakfast is good , Various options and its fulfilling .
6. Plum restaurant is good . I hope they add more items to the offering .

Overall : Stay at hotel was good . Would recommend it .

Tip : Get your room on High Floor and definitely Sea View . 2nd floor and above

Room Tip: Get your room on High Floor and definitely Sea View . 2nd floor and above
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Orestdinho,

thank you very much for your nice review.

We are happy you enjoyed your short stay with us and that my team responded well to solve an apparent issue you had.

Looking forward to Welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Don't go there. All of the negative posts are spot on. I atayed there for 3 nights and it was awful. Service was poor. Taxis we're dreadful and expensive. The food and drinks were too expensive and not good at all. This hotel tries to be a hotel that it simply is not and can't deliver on. Awful.

Stayed: July 2014
8  Thank YoBasso

Dear YoBasso,

We are very sad that your experience with us was not enjoyable and we would have liked to hear from you directly what exactly it was that you were unhappy with, as just saying all is bad, does not help the readers nor us.
Yes, of course we do get negative reviews, and do appreciate to here where we can still improve, but the positives are much more frequent and mostly our guests are happy with what we offer and our services as well.

Should you wish to let us know what happened, please do write to me directly: frank@capesienna.com

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

We just had 4 nights at Cape Sienna & absolutely loved it. The entire place is gorgeous & the pool areas are just brilliant. Don't miss happy hour in the sky bar. A real treat with tapas & beers at sunset over the Andaman sea.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear David M,

many thanks for a nice review.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to be able to Welcome you back soon again.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Wanted to spend a quiet 4 nights with an old friend at Kamala in July. Chose Cape Sienna because it is a bit isolated, has great views and the idea of private Jacuzzi on the balcony was most attractive. The property looks like it was designed by a genius but built by Basil Fawlty's Mr Orielly. Great efforts were clearly made to ensure stunning views from all rooms and public areas however the showpiece of it all, reception, was neglected by leaving an ugly big power line and associated equipment smack bang in the centre of the landscape. It surely could have been redirected underground during or post construction. As it was low season, check in was efficient without all the boot licking and carry on. Warm enough but not overwhelmingly friendly. Although permitted to check in early the electrician remained in the room for about 20 minutes doing some final maintenance as there had been a power outage to the building following an early morning storm. The room itself was roomy, well designed and comfortable. Bed was comfortable and everything seemed to work fine. What was disappointing was the glaring sloppy finishes to what could be a 5 star room. The hand basin was some strangely shaped resin built device which was painted with some non descript green, colour poorly aligned so that the water would not run away freely. Tiles chipped, paint work was appalling with stains all over flooring, tiles and bathroom fixtures. The hand rails on the balcony were painted rather than powder coated so they were all flaky and bubbly and in desperate need of maintenance. It was comforting to see some maintenance and pressure cleaning going on around the resort during the low season but I appreciate the management don't want to disrupt low season guests with noisy industrial work that is required to bring the resort up to the 5 star it could be. Breakfast was adequate but far from the finest we had seen. The setting for breakfast was wonderful and by mid morning when all the tourist buses had collected their punters there was much space and 5 star service to be enjoyed around the pool and dining area. Plenty of sun lounges for everyone and don't forget the infinity pool 30 meters down and across the road called Sienna Rocks. Spectacular and well serviced. We sampled several Thai dishes from the menu over 4 days and all were first class and reasonably priced. Although the weather was generally overcast and windy the resort is a terrific place to rest and recreate. There is a gym, pool table and tennis Court. Kamala village is just a 10 minute walk down the road and there are some reasonable places for a cold beer with a view. Taxi prices arranged by the hotel are about 30%higher than what you can negotiate down in the village however the vehicles used by the hotel taxi alliance are quality clean vehicles with safe drivers who can communicate reasonably well in English. Hardly saw any tourists around the village so many businesses were closed or opened much later in the day. Recommend massage in the big beach pavilion attached to the Sunwing resort.

Overall I would return for a quiet weekend away and recommend couples to give it a go.

Room Tip: Go for the Jacuzzi on balcony room. It was a pleasure to sit in hot tub watching storms across the b...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MatronDarwin
VanillaSky123, General Manager at Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear MatronDarwin,

thank you for your review.

We are glad you overall enjoyed your stay enough to want to come back.
Indeed low season is the time when we go thru all rooms and do touch ups, repaints, etc.
As the design is modern, this has and is done every year.
The electric power lines are from the government and although promised to us that they will put them underground eventually, they have not done so yet. Things sometimes take time....especially on government level....

Looking forward to Welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Okay if I want to review about the hotel firstly I need to review on phuket. The weather sucks in July. We almost spent the whole day at the hotel for the rough weather. Thank god that the hotel has a very good pool & vanilla sky bar where we can chill & enjoy the beautiful view of the sea. Cape Sienna is overall a fancy hotel but 4/5 star quality. The rooms are not spacious enough. Hotel restaurants serves good quality food though. One thing I would like to mention about renting a texi from the hotel. They charges 1500 bath from the hotel to nearest kalim bay or Patong beach which are very near from the hotel. They obviously should look upon on this taxi issue. Overall it was bittersweet experience. The weather is very bad at this season so I would recommend everyone to think twice before traveling to phuket during June-August.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Maisha I
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamala
Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach
#4 of 35 in Kamala
Kalima Resort & Spa
Kalima Resort & Spa
#61 of 384 in Kathu

Been to Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!