“Just sort of blahh”

Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Kamala
Bangkok, Thailand
“Just sort of blahh”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The place is "nice" but they really need to work on the little things. First off, the breakfast is the worst. Cape Sienna is the last hotel I have stayed in for a three week vacation. Every other hotel did a much better job. Second, room service only runs until 23:00. This is a vacation resort right? Room service needs to be 24/7. Finally, the customer service is third rate at best. We stayed in the Penthouse, it is a very nice room, but on the first day we inquired about possibly obtaining a villa. A villa is much more money, but we figured, what the hell, we are on vacation. The front desk people did not seem interested in us changing rooms or answering our questions. Overall, its a nice place, but for the money we paid I am positive there are a lot of places we can get better bang for the buck.

Room Tip: The penthouse isn't that much more expensive than a standard room and is way nicer, just a tip
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Benman72951

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We are currently staying here in the spa suite. Peaceful, quiet, beautiful, well appointed resort. We were looking for a nice relaxing getaway.

Very excited to find an adult only hotel free of children under 12 (so it says on the website.)

First 3 days, amazing. Peaceful. Today I wake up to about 12 screamsng children all over the pool area: screaming, splashing water everywhere and bumping into guests trying to enjoy their breakfast in peace.

You advertise a no child disruption environment, yet today I can see, this is not the case. Very unfortunate. If this goes on, we will cancel the remainder of our stay and go elsewhere.

I have mentioned this to reception. They didn't seem to mind. I would give all excellents 5/5 if it weren't for this noisy environment. It spoils the peaceful setting you have created.

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank sycosonic29
VanillaSky123, General Manager at Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Sycosonic29,

thank you for your review during your stay.

We do actually state on our website that during the Low Season: Children under 12 years are not recommended in the resort whereas in the High Season: Children under 12 years are not allowed.
We do get sometimes groups (especially during this time Mid July till Mid August) who have children with them, as it is main School holidays in mainland China.
The only time when you will see them is during breakfast till about 10:30 in the morning around the pool. After that they go out on tours.
I do understand that this is not what you have thought it to be and would appreciate if you come and talk to us again how we can make you happy.
I don't believe you will find other hotels in Phuket with 'less' children, rather more as our policy at least reduces the interest to come with children.

Also, our Sienna Rocks pool would be always quiet.

Looking forward to hear from you.

With Best Regards,

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Went Phuket few years ago with my friend. We stayed in Patong and the experience was just so-so for me. This time I was back with my boyfriend and we stayed with Cape Sienna in Kamala for 4 nights, and we both enjoyed it a lot!
Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was cozy with stunning sea view. Facilities like gym, pool and spa were good. We both had Thai massage at the spa and it was relaxing.
The pool side restaurant offered buffet breakfast with wide selection, and amazing authentic Thai food as well. Cocktails from the Sky Bar were delicious, best to pair with the amazing sunset view.
Its location was a bit far away from things, but we preferred there as it was quiet and chill. We rented a scooter so it had no problem for us to move around Phuket.
The only downside of the stay was the hotel didn't stick with their no children policy during low season, and some mainland Chinese guests could be loud sometimes. It would have been a perfect experience if I could enjoy the tranquility as expected.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank RachHK
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Me & my girlfriend spent two nights at Cape Sienna for a relaxing weekend and celebrate our 5 year anniversary.

• Pros: nice infinity pool (spectacular sea views) Plum restaurant (fantastic)
• Cons: Overall bad service

After checking in at reception which has a great panoramic view over the Andaman Sea we straight away had two disappointments. We asked for a high floor with a view… we received first floor even though the resort was not busy at all! One of reasons for booking Cape Sienna was the sunset view restaurant-pods, submerged in the water (they look stunning). Unfortunately we were told they were doing maintenance and even though we had a confirmed booking for one of the pods it was not possible. Seeing the size of the maintenance job (didn’t make much progress during our whole stay) they would have known (they confirmed this) and should have told us when we booked this…

Attitude of staff was not very good at all. We received grumpy looks, mostly not even a hello and sometimes even plain rude behaviour. Room service asked me to pick up an order (kind of defeats the purpose). I have to say that there were of course exceptions! All in all not the service we would expect from “Asia’s most romantic hotel”

Rooms itself (first floor balcony looked over a roof unfortunately) were nice, spacious, clean, big bed and nice bathroom.

Breakfast was ok and the setting around the pool and view on Ocean pretty darn nice!

Two things that made it worth it. An amazing infinity pool bar (Sienna Rocks) just across the road with stunning sea views and tasty cocktails, but most of all Plum Restaurant. This place made it all worth it (although I guess you can go there without staying at the hotel). This top floor restaurant hosted a spectacular sunset, amazing food and brilliant service. We had a great night there!!

Room Tip: High floor room for views
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DA_Singapore
VanillaSky123, General Manager at Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear DA_Singapore (Alex),

thank you for your feedback and your email which we have just received and I replied personally.

I do think that we failed in some areas to live up to your expectations and can only apologize for this. As mentioned in my email to you the work at the pods was supposed to finish by 1st August but we found out that things were not done the right way and had to extend. My staff however should have informed you about this prior to your arrival, as once you arrive and have this 'sour' taste...it very often leads to other things.
The room you received was on the 2nd floor, not 1st floor and we were indeed having high occupancy on that weekend.
About attitude and service and the room service incident I have written to you to ask more details as it can only be a misunderstanding and surely a 'own pick up' would defeat the purpose and I can't believe this to be the case.

Once again, my apologies for not giving you the experience you were looking for and we do hope that you give us another chance to make up for it.

With Best Regards

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here 23-30 July 2014. Amazing! Yut at Reception was the most helpful person, suggesting restaurants that were not only great value but easy to get to, by scooter. Priced for the local and just incredible food.

15 minutes drive to Patong Beach and the night life. Great pool and fantastic restaurant. Breakfast is included and was absolutely wonderful. A choice of accommodations and villas - right on the cliffs overhanging the beach.

Would absolutely stay here again. Picked up Scooters for $40 AUD for the week. Yes for the week. Petrol very cheap and rode 300+kms on the tiny island 24 x 15 kms. So much to see and do. Tiger Kingdom the highlight of the trip - do pay for the photographer - worth the extra $5-10.00.

WE chose this hotel/villas/suites etc, because of the NO CHILDREN policy. The first few days that was wonderful, I have not missed screaming kids and un-parented children. However children did appear, including one child whose parents thought it ok to have him wandering around with an uncovered bum. I've never seen a child in "chaps" with an uncovered bum before, but this is Asia.

Facilities at the Cape Sienna are amazing. Definitiely a place worthy of a visit. I would certainly go back.

Room Tip: No noise in the rooms so it was lovely - very relaxing place to be.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelGoddessSydney
Hamina, Finland
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed for two weeks and loved nearly everything. The view itself is worth visiting for!

Breakfast is very good and has lots of choices. What I would want more, is gluten-free options. It's lovely to have your morning cappuccino early on the morning and just relax with the view...and continue that all day. There's plenty of room when arriving early - later it is a little cramped.

Poolside restaurant is ok, a bit expensive but so easy when having lazy day by the pool (which itself is beautiful and water temperature is just right). Few stuff members are unfortunately a bit rude and same problem with the reception. Mostly everybody was polite, but some didn't greet and seem to be even a bit proud. But there's also two person I want to mention - Mike and Sorn. They did everything to make our stay pleasant and both have the right attitude. Many thanks to them.

Wine&Tapas at Vanilla Sky bar was really good, food is made carefully and set up nicely. Wine is good, especially rose wine, and your glass really never gets empty. In my opinion water should be included, but otherwise there's nothing to complain. Next time we want to try other special nights as well. And the cocktails at skybar are very good, but during our trip happy hour was only -30%, when last year visiting it was "buy 1 get 1 free", which obviously would be much more better, since drinks are a bit expensive (even though they are well made and taste delicious).

Spa is great. Atmosphere is peaceful and specialists do their job well. I took massage and facial and both we're so relaxing I fell asleep during them. Check out the promotions!

If you wish even more peace and quiet, go over the street to Sienna Rocks. There is always room and only few visitors. Just listen the waves... There is lovely infinity pool and a small bar too.

Few things to mention anyway. Even though Cape Sienna is adults only hotel, there was some kids around few times. Usually very well behaving and not causing any problem. But on our last day there was a group with many kids hanging out on hotel area, and they we're very noisy, running around etc. At last one member of the stuff told them to be quiet.
And when we were checking out, we were tried to charge for Evian we have never drank. Eventually mistake was admitted but it was still a bit awkward.
And when we left, no one on the reception sayed goodbye to us, even it was clear we were leaving and situation were not busy. There are just small things, but still can affect your vacation and how you feel about it.

But all in all hotel is great and we will come back next year.

Room Tip: Ask room as high floor as possible.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank huuti
Dear Huuti,

thank you for your review.
We are glad you mostly enjoyed your stay with us.
I believe you have stayed a few months back and we have now had some extensive training for our staff to improve further on friendliness, customer service and have already seen excellent feedback.
As you mentioned the Happy Hour prices, indeed 2 years back we had Buy 1 get 1. Now it is 30%. Reason for this is that we have not increased prices since 3 years although prices of alcohol went up by around 20-25%.
We also added more happy hours so that customers actually can move throughout our bars from one to another.

Hope you will be choosing us again and become one of our satisfied returning customers for more than 3 times.

With Best Regards

General manager
Sydney
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I decided on my visit back to Phuket that i would stay in Kamala and I was not disappointed, Cape Sienna was chosen due to the no children under 16 years but obviously between booking accommodation and arriving, the hotel had revised there no children policy and it seems in the low season they would allow children, so its important that you check if you are selecting this hotel for a location that is child free, when I spoke to the assistant manger he explained that it was a recent change to there policy.
Hotel room Junior suite ocean views comfortable size and balcony, housekeeping good staff very pleasant.
Breakfast was ok nothing to rave about, pleasant to sit around the pool until a child arrived splashing around in the pool, sorry but this is why I pick adults only accommodation and there just not enough around.
Prices on the menus and drinks where reasonable with happy hour specials on drinks and some daily food specials.
Vanilla Sky Bar for cocktails my favorite was the expresso martini just mention not too sweet when ordering view to die for as its on the roof top, below was the main restaurant looked amazing but we did not dine there.
Walk down to the Main road Big C supermarket in a small shopping mall if the walk back up the hill is too much grab a taxi or as i did a motor bike taxi.
Kamala beach was not really worth a visit and I did not try any of the restaurants near the beach, now with the mafia taxi situation under control the hotel should provide a more frequent schedule to Patong.
I like the fact that Cape Sienna is tucked away and not that far from Patong beach if you feel like a bit of crowd watching on Bangla road or shop at the Jungceylon shopping center.
Overall I would re-visit Cape sienna would be nice to stay in one of there villas across the road from the main hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Joanne1031Sydney
Dear Joanne1031 Sydney,

thank you very much for your great review.

As you mentioned our Children policy I would like to inform readers as following: The policy was actually changed since quite some time and we have informed tour operators and websites selling our resort actively that this summer season our policy changes from: Children under 12 years are not allowed in the resort to be Children under 12 years are not recommended in the resort. For the winter season from November onwards it will go back to 'not allowed'.
This is to be a bit more flexible as many Asians are coming in the summer as families and they do not always announce if they come with children. (mostly only July, August, their school holidays)

Other than that we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thinking of staying with us again.

With Best Regards,

Frank Dreist
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamala
Keemala
#4 of 36 in Kamala
Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Sunprime Kamala Beach

Been to Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!