“Un"Bell"ievable”

The Bell Pool Villa Resort Phuket
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Kamala
Reviewed 27 January 2012

We stayed at The Bell Pool Villa Resort for the last three nights of our honeymoon in Thailand. We were so excited about coming to the resort and have to admit that we were slightly concerned when we turned down a road that was taking us a fair way from the beach and also hardly looked like a location where a luxury resort would be placed. BUT once we got there, we no longer cared about the location of the resort. The Bell truly was a diamond in the rough! The staff kindly allowed us to check in well before the stated time, which was a great start to our experience. Our villa was so spectacular that it was difficult for us to hide the smirks on our faces when our butler (yes you read that correctly!...butler) was showing us around our rediculously amazing villa. The first thing that you notice is a spectacular pool, quickly followed by the outdoor shower (one of three showers available in your villa) and a comortable little gazebo with lounge beds. We then found out about the three movies per day that are complimentary and the mobile phone that they give you to contact your own personal butler at any time during the day or night. You then see your beautiful bedroom, ensuite and living area. Just when you think that it can't get any better, they bring you the breakfast menu! The amount of food that they bring you for breakfast is staggering and we actually wrapped up some of the food and ate it for dinner so that we didn't have to leave our little heaven on earth. If we had to disucuss any negatives, it was that for our whole stay, there were no motorbikes available for our use. This would not have been a problem if we were told this at the time of check in, but it kind of threw out our day as we were under the impression that we could easily hire one through the resort for 150 baht. Instead, we borrowed a bicycle from the resort for free and rode to the beach, which was a nice experience (there are free shuttles provided through the resort, but a bike provides more freedom). In saying all of this, one of the butlers did go to the effort of calling some bike hire companies to find us the cheapest alternative.The staff were fantastic (especially Chai and the gentleman who drove us to the airport) and were all so friendly and willing to help. It was the most amazing place we have ever stayed and cannot wait to go back. If we could afford it we would go back there for every holiday, but unfortunately our teacher wages cannot sustain this kind of lifestyle!! We even said that it would have been worth it to shorten our overall stay in Thailand and stay longer at The Bell. Thanks for making our honeymoon extra special!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DaniC3
There are newer reviews for The Bell Pool Villa Resort Phuket

Reviewed 25 January 2012

Came here for a company retreat. Booked 3 villas and the layout looked pretty much the same for the different villas. Service was excellent. They spent effort to introduce the different facilities in the villa.

The in-villa pool was the highlight. It was an enjoyment to be able to dip in the pool whenever we feel like it. Breakfast was served into the villa. They will require you to place your breakfast order by 6pm the day before. The living room is big enough for our informal presentation and team bonding games.

The Bell is about 10min drive distance from Kamala Beach. But if you want to travel to the happening nightlife at Patong, it takes 500B to book a vehicle and it takes about 30min traveling time. This will be where you should be about where you get your meals. But if you just want a quiet moment, and do not want to travel around, The Bell will be an excellent choice.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I recently planned a special trip to Phuket over the holidays from Dec 30th, 2011 to Jan 4th, 2012 in Phuket with some family and friends. We hadn't planned on staying for so long but after checking out hotels on the island, The Bell looked like our best option for a 3 bedroom pool villa but they had a mandatory 5 night stay during this peak season in addition to charging their peak prices, which turned out to be about 33% more than their 'high' season. Of course this is understandable, so my total cost turned out to be a little under 200 000 baht, or around US$6200. For a 5 day stay, it was a little pricey to me but I thought it'd be worth it since the hotel looked so good and the reviews on this site were mostly so positive. Also, it was a good sign that the managing director, Mr Antonie Polfliet, responded personally to so many of the reviews. I assumed that meant that it was being run but people who took pride in their hotel and hospitality skills.... silly me.

One item to note is that I had to put down a 50% non refundable deposit when I booked and upon arrival at the hotel, they immediately took payment for the balance. So I had to pay for the whole stay before I had even set eyes on the villa... this will all be relevant as the story unfolds.

Upon checking into Villa 5 with my group, our butler showed us around and we all noticed a stench around the 2 non master bedrooms and their attached bathrooms. Since it distinctly smelt like feces, I thought perhaps someone had just used the toilet right before my group checked in and I didn't want to embarrass the butler by asking about it, thinking that the smell would go away on it's own. Unfortunately, it didn't. I reported the smell the next day after realizing that it wasn't temporary. The hotel, after looking into the air conditioning vent and checking around,told me that nothing could be done about it and the best solution they had was to have scented oils around. I don't know about you, but I think that if I'm staying in a luxury villa, I really shouldn't have to put up with disgusting septic tank smells of feces, lemongrass scented or not. I asked to speak to someone in management and their operations manager finally came to speak to me. In the meantime, my friends and I had to deal with this stink in our bedrooms for days. At times, it was so strong as to make me almost gag, and to be fair, at times it was just a whiff of manure.

I complained about this daily till we were moved to villa 10 on Dec 2nd. Which means we had to put up with this rancid smell from the 30th, 31st, 1st to the 2nd of Jan. During that time, the operations manager, a very sweet Thai lady, tried to be the go between for me and her 'boss', the above mentioned Antonie Polfliet. I repeatedly requested to speak to him but somehow he was never available to talk to me in person. The hotel, after some days, finally offered a complimentary 'special' dinner for all the inconvenience. This I thought was not sufficient for the horrible experience we were having with the stench and I asked if I could get some sort of monetary refund. I was told through the operations manager that that was not an option. So I asked for a voucher or something, something to make us feel like we hadn't been totally screwed on our special holiday. After all, no one wants to pay all that money and take all that time to go somewhere lovely and breathe in feces all night. The response from Mr Polfliet was that I would be given a voucher for 1 night in a 3 bedroom villa. While that is nice that they actually did offer something (after much prodding), 1 night in a 3 bedroom villa is not very practical for me as I don't often travel in such a big group. When I made that known, I was essentially told that that was the only thing on the table.

Now, Villa 10 was lovely and exactly what I had been expecting and wanted when I booked with The Bell. However the move from 5 to 10 took up most of our morning on Jan 2nd and instead of spending the morning leisurely as one does on vacation, we had to pack frantically to vacate 5 as they were going to give it to newly arriving guests and switch us to 10. Not exactly my idea of how I want to spend my vacation, wasting all that time trying to resolve this issue and then unpacking and repacking and unpacking. However, it was worth it just to sleep in clean air again. At this point though, we had already spent the majority of our holiday dreading our villa and though the respite was welcome, it was short.

After settling in, and realizing that Mr Polfliet was never going to show up, I sat down after my first good night's sleep and wrote him a long, detailed, sincere email on Jan 3rd, letting him know about my experience at The Bell. At the end of it, I again asked if I could have a refund of 1 night given how miserable it was to spend 4 days and 3 nights dealing with the stench. Or if no refunds were possible, instead of 1 night in a 3 bedroom, perhaps we could flip the numbers around and do 3 nights in a 1 bedroom because that's infinitely more usable, especially since I explained that I rarely travel in such a large group and that I live on another continent, so a 1 night voucher for a hotel far away is not likely to be used. Also, I did take the opportunity to compliment him on his staff who were always friendly and sweet, as well as their beautiful villas.

Okay, email sent to the mysterious Mr Polfliet in hopes that he really was like his tripadvisor persona. We checked out the next day.

I didn't receive any sort of response for 2 days so I followed up by checking in with the operations manager that I had been dealing with. She immediately responded with a gracious email on Jan 5th and in short order, so did Mr Polfliet. He was polite and they admitted that it was a real problem because they were sharing the sewer system with their neighbor who was having a problem with their septic tank. However, they were only willing to give me a voucher for 1 night in a 3 bedroom and they wouldn't be able to change it to 3 nights in a 1 bedroom.

That was fine, but he didn't directly address the issue of a refund. I much prefer a refund for 1 night (though I think it really ought to be for more than that given how long we had to deal with the problem) than a voucher so I emailed him back that same day, Jan 5th, to ask. I thanked him for his reply and explained why a refund would be preferable and waited for his response.

No response.... no response... So after almost a week, on Jan 11th, I followed up again to check if he had received my email and let him know that I was eagerly awaiting his reply.

No response.... no response. Finally, on Jan 16th, I was rather annoyed and emailed him again. I'm just going to cut and paste my email:

"I've yet to receive a response from you or your team after responding to your email, sent Jan 5th. I replied on Jan 5th with a follow up around Jan 11th.

I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt that perhaps you've been extremely busy and unable to respond. Considering that we've spent around 200 000 thai baht at your hotel, I'd hope that you'd have the courtesy to respond directly to my emailed request for a refund for 1 night since you did not address it in your email to me on the 5th.

I hope to hear from you shortly and if I don't within the next day or so, then I suppose I can safely assume that you're ignoring my emails, which would be quite unprofessional. So, I do hope that's not the case.

Thank you."

As I had hope, this got him a little fired up and he FINALLY responded. Basically they were unwilling to refund any portion of my money and unwilling to change their offer, then things got weird:

"And please do not insult our other guest by stating you spent 200,000THB. A lot of our guests have spent 200,000THB or much more with us, and most of them were very happy with their stay. If something did go wrong with their stay we always were able to turn it around and make them satisfied again.

This doesn't seem the case for you.

I hope we get the chance to satisfy you on your next trip to Phuket."

Not sure why he thinks I'm insulting his other guests by pointing out that I had spent quite a bit of money (to me, maybe not to him) and would like a response to my email instead of being ignored. In fact, regardless if I spent 1 night at a discounted rate, or 5 nights at peak season rates, my humble opinion is that he ought not to ignore any of his guests, but especially one with a valid complaint, as the hotel as admitted. So I simply wrote back:

"Thanks for clarifying your position. I do apologize if I've offended or insulted your other guests by mentioning how much I spent, I was only trying to point out that as a guest who has paid your high season rates with your 5 night minimum stay, I'd appreciate the consideration of a response when I email you, twice. Truthfully I'm a bit confused as to how I could have insulted your other guests but if you think I have then I do apologize. "

And that is probably the last chapter in my interaction with the mysterious Mr Polfliet, who turned out to be VERY different from the tripadvisor persona here.

Overall, the hotel is beautiful, the staff is friendly, though there were little hiccups such as not once in 5 days actually getting the breakfast order right, The Bell is probably more good than bad. However, having to deal with the septic tank problem which is the responsibility of the hotel and the terrible follow up and lack of consideration masked in polite words, from senior management (Mr Polfliet) in particular, makes me never want to give another penny to this hotel. Very unfortunate.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
17  Thank JL8
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We spend a night at the 3-bedroom villa for a birthday party.Large swimming pool, three nice bedrooms (one master bedroom with one big bed and two bedrooms with twin beds). Decorated in Indochina style this villa was a WOW.

Hotel located not at a seafront, but provides free transfer to the beach. Also, upon departure we have ordered a transfer from The Bell to the Surin beach and was charged only 300 baht for it (local drivers charge 500-700).

Breakfast was very good and served in the villa.

I like this hotel and will be back for next vacation to stay longer and to enjoy this hiden place to relax and rejivnate my mind.

Room Tip: Villa no. 10 was perfect!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Roman D
AntoniePolfliet, Managing Director at The Bell Pool Villa Resort Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2012

Dear Romandavydov,

We are happy to hear that your enjoyed your short stay at The Bell.

Please come back and enjoy our improved facilities.

See you soon!

Reviewed 2 January 2012

Spent a week in the Bell Pool Villa's and really wanted to give it a 5 star review but after spending a few days at home and adding up all of the pro's and con's I couldn't justify it!

Overall the resort is excellent. We arrived late and had a limo (Luxus SUV) pick us up from the airport. It was an easy ride at 1am back to the hotel and it took about 30 minutes. When we arrived at the resort they don't have a lobby so they have a tent with a table and PC in the middle of the resort. Check-in was east enough and then we went through to the villa. Even in the middle of the night the villa is impressive. I think that all of the room are at least 2 or 3 bedrooms and they just lock the doors if you book a smaller room. We stayed in a 1 bedroom. The rooms are great. Bedroom was very comfortable however doesn't have a TV. Bathroom's are well appointed with a great shower and a good soaker tub. The living room was very nice with a sectional couch, dining room and basic kitchen. Outdoor space is great with a nice sala with 2 loungers and an outdoor dining table with seating. Pool is spectacular. Only downside to the outdoor space was getting some sun. We had direct sunlight until about 1pm. From 1 until 3-4 only way we could get any sun was in the one end of the pool.

We asked for inflatable's to allow us to lie in the pool and get some sun but the hotel doesn't have any, we went out to pick some up which wasn't difficult. We also took the hotel tuk-tuk down to the local supermarket to pick up beer, wine and snacks. We used the tuk-tuk a few times and had varied degrees of success with it (they were late on pick up twice but only 15 minutes). You get a cell phone to talk to the butler anytime you want. One issue was communicating with the phone, sometimes they understood you, sometimes not so much. Depended on who picked up.

We ate at the hotel quite often since we didn't care for much of Phuket. This wasn't an issue since our goal was just to relax and you can accomplish this at the resort. Breakfast was about 80% reliable, they was late a few times and messed up the order once. All of the food we had was very good overall. We also signed up for the cooking class which is highly recommended, we had a blast and the food was awesome. We even requested a course that they didn't have on the menu but we love and the hotel accommodated us.

A couple of picky issues: the hotel does come into the villa too often. Every day they bring a breakfast menu for the next day, the menu is the same everyday but they still bring blank copies everyday and then an hour or two later they pick them up again. When they serve breakfast they ask when you would like it cleared...it doesn't really matter what you say since we didn't see any consistency in when they clear up.

Overall it is a great resort with some minor training issues and service related items to become a truly great resort. Hopefully they can clear those up.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Villa_Traveller

Dear Villa_Traveller,

I'm glad to hear you had a good stay at The Bell and also appreciate you took some time to review our resort as well as point out where improvement would help The Bell forward.

First of all I would like to make clear that during your stay we were building a brand new reception as well as brand new lounge / restaurant named Zhong. So during that 1 month period we had a temporary reception. I'm happy to announce that all is OPEN now.

Also our villas all come with TV's and sound system, not all bedrooms though. Our villas are made for sharing with friends and family and prefer not to put TV's in all rooms.
Regarding the sun, our villas all have different orientation so each has a different direction towards the sun. Next time please advise our reservation team and ask for a villa with more sun.

As for communication with the staff it's something we keep working on. We always try to hire the best butlers available in Phuket and give them lots of training as well as English training.
I hope you did like the mobile phone we provide you to always be in contact with your personal butler and the chance to request for anything at any time or any place.

I'm also very happy to hear that you really enjoyed our food. Chef Fabian, chef Poo and their team have been working really hard to make it all happen. With the opening of Zhong we have added a whole new menu as well that will really tease your taste-buds!

Also thanks for the comments related to breakfast. We will look into this to make the experience better.

Thanks for your comments and we are looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 14 December 2011

We have just returned from our honeymoon after staying at the bell pool villa's for 2 weeks. It was absolutely perfect for us. We wanted a romantic hideaway that was peaceful and tranquil, somewhere that made you feel special and offered a 'VIP' service whilst still being not too isolated from a bit of life if we wanted it. The bell scored top marks in all these areas! We had read reviews that the villas are a few km outside of the small resort of kamala and as we were staying for 2 weeks hired a car to get out and about. The villas do have their own tuk tuk and luxury car which should be adequate if only staying for a few days. We used these on a few occasions when we didn't want to drive. The tuk tuk was a little more expensive than one you could get locally but it was bigger, more comfortable and offered a reliable service! The villa's decor is modern and bright with plenty of lighting and the pool was beautiful and large! We really did struggle to leave the peaceful haven to go out and about! Breakfast each morning was always amazing, plenty of choice and more than enough portion wise for even those with a large appetite! It did come late a few mornings but in the whole scheme of things this was not an issue at all. We were on holiday relaxing so could not get uptight if breakfast was 10mins late! Breakfast being served to you in your own villa is such a wonderful touch and really does give VIP treatment and makes you feel really special. This is something that makes the bell pool villas stand out and different from all the other hotels! Don't stop doing this when the new restaurant opens. Doing something special like this really does set you miles apart from the rest!!

We had originally booked to stay in a pool villa at the banyan tree but cancelled when I came across this place a few weeks ago.......I'm so glad I did as I believe the service, location and accommodation to be by far superior! A true treasure that I will definitely not keep a secret!!

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Shuffler24

Dear Shuffler24,

I'm glad to hear you had a fantastic stay with us.

Please do not worry, with the opening of Zhong lounge & restaurant we will not change our 'in-villa breakfast' concept. At times it is a bit challenging to get all the breakfasts served exactly on time since all breakfast are made 'a-la-minute' (makes the quality so much better than buffet breakfasts) and they are all personally served in your villa.

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 16 November 2011

My 11 years daughter had a serious accident of head on collision with bed room door glass which is not used safety glass and their is no caution or notice for carefulness at 10 PM inside of villa.My daughter had 8 hours heavy operation for her face and leg for connecting muscles with 3 doctors.
They don't have Insurance program for accident like that case,so I paid about USD$11,000.00 for hospital and my familiy have to stay in hospital 7days with her.Most imporatant thing is they didn't try to compensation for her damage.Just 3days sandwiches for launch or dinner.Maybe they thought we will go back my country after her serious operation and there is no compensation.If you have plan for travel for Phuket,please choose big brand of Hotel or Resort which prepared full cover insurance program.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
15  Thank peterhuh
AntoniePolfliet, Managing Director at The Bell Pool Villa Resort Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2011

Dear Peter,

First of all my heart goes out to your daughter, I hope everything turns out fine for her.

Secondly, I would like to make sure this situation is correctly sketched here. Peter and his family firstly had a lovely stay with us until the evening of departure this happened. His 11y old daughter ran through a glass sliding door (glass that is 1cm thick, layered, is not clear but shaded and also has plastic strips on it so it's clearly visible that they are closed). It is still unclear how a child can actually run through a glass door like that. My friends and myself had previously ran into the glass doors numerous times (before we attached the plastic strips for visibility) and not even once did the glass crack.

Anyways, we immediately rushed the child to the best hospital in Phuket (Phuket Bangkok Hospital) and stayed with the family in the hospital all night. We rearranged the flights for our guests, offered them complimentary stay until everything was sorted with their child, etc.

Over the next few days we kept visiting the hospital twice a day to see if there was anything we could do to help on this case, or help the child or family. I personally met the family a few times as well. We also got in contact with our insurance company (AXA, being a renowned international insurance company) to see what they could do for this client. As this is a serious case, AXA came to inspect the property, meet with the family, etc. and made a full report on this. Up until now there is still no final answer from AXA weather they will cover for this case or not. I truly hope they will.

As for the fact of the recommendation from this guest to go stay at other hotels, I can honestly say that those hotels will be insured exactly the same way. We have every and all insurances that can be taken by any hotel, as well as having a top insurance company, that is renowned all over the world.

The fact of the matter is that an insurance like this will only cover when there is a negligence of the hotel. In this case the insurance company does an investigation weather they think the hotel in negligent. If they feel it is not, and it is deemed as an accident, then the insurance will not cover it.

In that case, NORMALLY, with most other guests they have a health insurance or a TRAVEL INSURANCE who will cover for accidents. We always recommend our guests to take a travel insurance so they will have nothing to worry about during their holiday, at times when they are inside or outside of the hotel.
When I even met with the father of the child he mentioned that he felt really bad and blamed himself for not taking a travel insurance on this case. I explained we would do everything we can to negotiate with our insurance.

From everyone at The Bell we feel very bad about what happened, and welcome Peter and his family back to our resort at any time, complimentary on us. Also our resort is doing everything it can to be as safe as possible, and insure our guests as much as possible. To give you an example, we have even started cooperating with our insurance broker to provide travel insurances for our guests (normally hotels would never provide this for their guests).

And as always, we continue to strive for the well-being of our guests, and providing them with a fantastic holiday and experience in Phuket.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamala
Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach
Ayara Kamala Resort & Spa
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort
The Naka Phuket
The Naka Phuket
#16 of 36 in Kamala
Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas

Been to The Bell Pool Villa Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!