“Ikea does Butlins”

Sunwing Kamala Beach
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Kamala
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Like the previous poster says.....Phuket really is horrible! We were in Phuket just for the weekend and saw 2 separate road rage scenes while out and about. The first was en-route from the airport to the resort:(

I found this resort all rather strange if I'm honest, never been anywhere quite like it. The resort staff were all pretty miserable particularly in the restaurant, but the food was good which kinda made up for it. The entertainment staff (all scandinavians) were OK. I didn't find the staff in the kids club particularly warm or welcoming either apart from Rose the Filipino lady. They only seemed to want to mix with other scandinavians and if the child was not blonde haired and blue eyed they didn't seem to matter much.

The water in our room cut out while I was showering my 5 year old, she was covered in soap and shampoo. We called reception who sent someone to confirm (like I was making it up?) that there was no water but then we heard nothing. I had to take my daughter down to the public shower area and rinse her off. We called to ask when it would be fixed but were told there was a problem with the pump and we should use the public shower area. When it did come back on a hour later it was really brown. Reception was on the case and managed to follow up the NEXT DAY to ask if we now had water!
One day walking back to our room my daughter slipped and cut her leg on the stairs. The floor was wet outside a room on the floor below us. They had left some pool toys outside their room and the water had run down towards the stair well. I went to reception to tell them my daughter had fallen and said that someone needed to dry the floor as it was quite dangerous. I know it was not their fault the floor was wet but nobody even asked if my daughter was ok or apologised. She was left with a very bruised knee and a cut to her shin.

The pools are nice and sunbeds are too, although it was extremely busy while we were there and pretty difficult to find 3 loungers together.
The beach was not nice but if sun loungers 10 deep and spread as far as the eye can see is what you like then this may be the place for you.

All in all it was an OK place and fairly good value but doubt we would go back.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank SingaporeMum2_2

Reviewed 1 February 2012

Sunwing resort is a haven for families away from the seediness that Phuket brings. It's quite isolated and Kamala is not really a nice town, but the resort is beautiful, perfect for families with small children. My only complaint is that all children's activities are in Swedish or other nordic languages which none of the english speaking hildren could understand, but they enjoyed it nonetheless! the resort is across the road from Fantasea which was quite good, kids love it. Staff were very nice, prices were reasonable and the facilities were great. Would definitely recommend to other families wanting to be away from the horrible atmosphere of patong.

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank Somem
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Stayed for a week in a royal family suite. Fantastic stay - no complains whatsoever!

The pools are great and there are plenty of them, so it does not get crowded. The kids facilities and entertainment is good (althought the shows etc are mainly in Swedish).

Room was nice, well decorated and kept very clean. Direct access to pool was superb. The location is great, directly on the beach.

We will be back for sure.

Room Tip: A royal family suite is a must.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank Pilvi
Reviewed 9 December 2011

We've been to Phuket more than 10 times and this is one resort we definitely would like to go back to. We were there during the low season in August 2011. So we had one of the 7 large pools mostly to ourselves. We stayed at the Baby Studio that had everything you need for an infant - stroller, baby tub, high chair, changing mat etc - It's on the ground floor with our own deckchairs and a little gate that opens to the pool area. The room had a comfortable King sized bed with 2 more comfortable sofa beds. The only gripe about it is there's no bathtub.
The service and staff were good. Great attention is given to kids. Kids eat free with paying adults.
The resort is on the beach so it's a plus not having to cross any roads unlike most other resorts on other beaches in Phuket. Kamala has shallow waters making it safe for young kids to swim in. The waves are manageable making it less boring than a very calm sea.
There are just enough eateries nearby to offer variety even during low season.
We'll be back in 6 months.

Room Tip: For those traveling with older children or no children, consider booking the Royal Pool Access. You...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank AgentBroccoli
Reviewed 7 December 2011

We stayed there for 4 nights. We booked the studio suite via Agoda but was given a free upgrade to Royal suite.With a 4 month old infant and 2 year old, than goodness our room was on the first floor.The resort itself is kids friendly and definitely baby friendly hence there is no issue of the baby wailing in the middle of the night as chances are your neighbour's kids will do the same the next minute. Plus,the room is really spacious and the kitchenette is very useful for me to prepare the kids' food i.e Milk etc.

The Royal suite pool access was definitely the highlight of the stay for my son as he fully utilised it the whole time we were there.For family with kids,do take the first floor room as the pool access is definitely convenient for us.Breakfast can be boring as the menu does not seems to change. For a Muslim, there is not much of a choice but that should not be an issue as my family is pretty much contented with bread and cereals.

One gripe though,the television's picture display in our room did not work twice. It took a few calls before the technician came down.Other than that, most of the staffs are friendly and always greet you with a smile.

And yes,most of the guests are European and the shows are all in Swedish hence the son did not participate in it. Location wise, Kamala beach is not that fantastic as I've been to Phuket before and found other nicer beaches. Suffice to say at least its much better than Karon or Patong. Transport to Patong or airport can be very expensive.

Overall, I like the hotel concept and it did live up to my expectations and the fact its REALLY kids friendly. Will I be back there again?Yes, if I have a third child in tow. If not, there are definitely nicer beaches in Phuket.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank fickledsara
Reviewed 6 December 2011

We stayed at the Sunwing for 2 weeks from 19th November until 3rd December 2011, travelling was 2 adults & 2 children: 7yrs and 9yrs. The hotel itself is lovely, we had a Royal pool access room, and the children's bed were converted sofa's, which were very comfy, as was our HUGE bed! When we arrived at our room at 1am, unfortunately the children's beds were not made up, so we had to call front desk and get housekeeping in. They arrived within 5mins and it was done quickly and with a smile! Waiting in the room was a welcome basket of fruit, crisps and nuts, a small bottle of rum, and mini bottles of red & white wine! also in the fridge were soft drinks for the chilrdren, all complimentary. The only drink replenished daily were the 2 glass bottles of water, much needed after a hot day on the beach/pool! We also had robes for each of us and room slippers.. a lovely added touch!
The breakfast was included in our price, and was very nice. Lots to choose from with some small changes each day. But the children were happy with lots of cereals/breads/pancakes/donuts to choose from, aswell as juices, milk and tea/coffee. the cooked options were always hot and plentiful even on busy mornings! (even the heart shaped fried eggs!). My only gripe is that the staff come round more frequently with the tea/coffee pots as very often our table was missed - but only a small grip with a wonderul breakfast time!
Lunch & dinner could be taken in the La Tasca restaurant (the hotel's main restaurant), which offered a take away option of pizza's, burgers, tex mex etc, or you could pay a set price and eat at the buffet, which was also always plentiful and offering lots of choice. The good thing about the buffet was that 2 adults ate, then the 2 children were free, and could help themselves from anything from the Lollo & Bernie buffet area (kids area). The dessert table and ice cream section was always yummy too! There is also Fino restaurant down on the beach front, offering the same child eat free option with a paying adult. Fino is not a buffet service but choose from the menu. lots of seafood and steaks here.
We had a massage in the hut at the beachside of the hotel. the kids loved it, and it was nice being able to go in together. each massage was 300bht, (about $10aus) my daughter and i also had pedi & mani's - lovely and again about 300bht each.
there are 6 or 7 pools to choose from but we stayed mainly at our room pool and the bigger pool with the slide, as after about 10.30am, there was no sun on our little balcony area, so we had to move! (another small gripe!)
I mention the next part this far into my review, as i dont think it made much of a difference, but the hotel does cater mainly for the scandanavian market. So the kids club activities are mainly in swedish. My son did a treasure hunt game around the hotel, & the list of items was written in Swedish, but it was translated quickly by one of the kids club team (mostly Swedish), who ALL spoke good English! The evening kids disco was in Swedish too as were most of the books & dvd's inside miniland (kids club) but again my 2 children found lots of things to do inside the club. The club were happy for us to leave our children unattended, but i think this has to do with their age. I did see parents of younger children staying with their kids to play.
The beach is a short walk from the hotel, and very nice to swim in. soft sand and very calm seas. There are a few restaurants up and down the beachfront from the hotel, and sometimes these are much cheaper than the hotel buffet, so make sure you try these as an alternative, aswell as the restaurants in the town, a short walk from the hotel. a great market is just outise the hotel entrance every friday afternoon.. a must have for those trinkets and designer souveneirs!
Evening entertainment was a group of singers, and my last gripe of the review is that they use a 2week rotation on their material. as we were there 2 weeks, and so had to listen to all the same songs for the 2nd week! but apart from that they were fun to listen to (if not a bit cheesy - maybe an update too on their material!!
sorry for the long review, but i like reading in depth reviews to give me a good insight into what my money is going to get me! so i hope you feel the same.
Sunwing is a lovely hotel, set in beautiful grounds with wonderful staff..I wouldnt go there again, as next time i'm in Thailand it will be without the kids and this is a definite kid friendly hotel!!
any questions, dont hesitate to mail me!

Room Tip: if you want a quiet nights sleep, get a top floor room!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
29  Thank tallulahjemima
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Overall a good resort for families with young kids, the family rooms are great with the second bedroom and is very close to the beach (2 mins walk straight out the front, no roads to cross)
The breakfast buffet is good with a huge selection and is definateley worth including.Was not aware when booking that this is a hotel which largely caters to scandinavian tourists.So all the live entertainment(child shows +adults is in Swedish, though the stage show is very proffessional it is a bit weird and surreal with four young swedes in sparkly costumes singing pop hits of the eighties and nineties in a strange choreographed mini extravaganza for two hours straight.You have to see it to believe it , must be a swedish thing.The resort is quite central to Phuket but haggle with the taxi drivers as they tell you fares are set which is bollocks and very expensive compared to anywere else in asia i have been.Oh and watch out the thai ladies in the convenience shop will skim a few baht off your change if they think you are not counting
But generally a good clean location from which to explore the island with kids

Room Tip: with kids the bottom floor rooms are better, the second floor rooms are cheaper but is nice to have...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank chris7440
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamala
Sunprime Kamala Beach
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 329 in Patong
Holiday Inn Resort Phuket

Been to Sunwing Kamala Beach? Share your experiences!