“Great Family Resort”

Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Kamala
Sydney
“Great Family Resort”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Fantastic resort for a family. Stayed with 2 adults and 4 kids (3-11yrs).
Rooms in block 3 overlook the pool. Lovely views. we had two rooms next to each other. More than enough room for 6 people.
Meals at La Fino by the beach were great. Kids eat for free when dining with parents at both restaurants. It means it is a very cheap meals deal for a family.
If staying, check rates to hire a taxi for a half or full day. good rates from hotel and very safe.
Also, book activities locally (like Jackie Lee) as they offer substantial discounts which the hotel wont do.

Room Tip: Block 3 great, overlooking main pools.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Notausedscreenname

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a great hotel if you have little ones as it caters for them perfectly. Im sure any child would rate this hotel highly, but after coming from a 4 Star hotel in Kata I must admit, from an adults point of view it felt like we were staying at a 3 Star here. Don't get me wrong, it has elements of a 4 Star hotel but then other things just didn't feel that way.

Pros - Location, it's one of the better resorts within walking distance to most things in Kamala. Kids club & activities - very well arranged (Rose in the kids club is lovely too). Pools - alot of space to swim without being on top of each other, also kids slides were great. Breakfast - alot to choose from & kitchen staff were always happy to help with any special orders. La Tasca restaurant kids menu - free meal for little ones if purchasing main meal for adults. Laundry facilities - fantastic if traveling with family. The Friday night market in front of the hotel is a great little market.

Cons - As this is a child focused hotel it gets noisy from early in the morning with kids going down the hallways to breakfast (the doors don't offer any sound barrier), so even if your little ones are sleeping you will likely be woken by others. Some of the finishes around the premises are not equal to 4 star quality - some of the pools have tiles that have fallen off & grout work is messy (in particular the pools in front of the La Tasca restaurant). The pools the other side of the building behind the laundry appear to be in much better condition. Cracked tiles in our bathroom & constant daily issue with ants in the kitchen area of our room. There are alot of additional charges for things like printing up boarding passes, playing on the pool table, using a dvd player, wifi not being used in restaurant or reception, etc that add up & most other hotels include these in your room rate.

The Hotel has also have had several cases of Hand Foot & Mouth disease lately. I know this is highly contagious & management have informed me they are trying to eliminate the chance of others being infected as much as possible. When my children were in the kids club one of the ladies kindly informed us that a month before we came someone had it, hence the need to sanitise hands when leaving the kids club. My son unfortunately picked it up & thankfully didn't show any symptoms until the flight home. I have contacted the hotel management & they have since informed me that there were 2 other cases reported to them in June aswell.
Just be wary if you are pregnant & traveling to this hotel, as it can be fatal to an unborn, if the mother gets it.

The staff were lovely & always happy to help.

Depending on what type of holiday you are after & what age your children are would be the determining factor of staying at this hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank VZen1979
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We travelled as a two families and opted to stay at Kamala Beach based on previous experiences my sister and her husband had for their honeymoon. However, the choice of hotels was obviously different (with kids this time).

Overall, we enjoyed the trip as it was next to the beach and food was plenty outside of the hotel.
The pool and the available pool floats kept the children happy.

Service was ok but reception could be warmer as it felt like we are just another family checking in although they did give us our requested baby cot (for those who did not book the Happy Baby Studio).

My sister booked the Happy Baby Studio and was provided with all the necessary baby amenities. We were happy with the fact that the rooms came with a microwave oven for sterilizing our bottles.

One thing we had to complain about was the mosquitos! It was in the rooms and we were bitten on the first night. Subsequent nights we got smarter and requested for the rooms to be sprayed. We asked for this a number of times to the point housekeeping staff gave us a bottle to keep so we could spray whenever we liked. No issues with mosquitos after!

We loved the little stalls at the beach with the corn, coconuts and pancakes.

We probably will return if we are on a budget and bringing the kids. However, this would not be our choice without children!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank piggyinoz
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed here for 12 days, 7 adults and 3 young children.

The pools and slides were great, and the bar staff were very pleasant and loved the kids. Pure fruit smoothies for the children made by the young lady named Pear were delicious.

Due to low season, we had the run of the place. Sunwing seems to attract mostly families with children and it was great that we did not have to pack a travel cot or stroller/pram. The Happy Baby Studios come with these, plus an infant sleep bed for those who choose to co-sleep with infants in the very large king+ size bed. There is also a potty, ikea high chair and plastic bowls, cups etc and a bumbo in each room. The little patch of lawn at the front of each studio contained lizards and other friendly creepy crawlies that entertained the toddlers, plus the daily visits from the friendly black kittens who obviously have the run of the hotel with their mate, a big ginger tom.

It was lovely to be directly in front of a large pool, but with a low little fence with a latch to ensure the safety of the kids.

Management were professional - the one instance where we required their assistance for a slight problem was rectified quickly, with sincere apologies. Email queries before we left for Phuket were answered promptly and patiently by Renelyn.

The kids club, run by Rose and Say was a delight. Clean and bright. Their english is excellent, and both have qualifications far surpassing their role as crèche providers.

The hotel massage hut was fantastic, and their prices (300 baht) were the same as those on the beach.

Housekeeping was to a high standard. Immediate assistance during the early hours of the morning due to a vomiting child was greatly appreciated.

The kitchen and restaurant staff were pleasant and are clearly used to dealing with small children and food mishaps. One downside was the lack of variety of food at the breakfast buffet. Everything was fresh and there was an adequate amount to choose from, just repetitive. Thank you to Thu who happily made friends with our little daughter and provided a welcome smile each morning.

Kamala itself was great for families wanting a laid back holiday. Just enough well priced shops and restaurants so that going into Patong was not really necessary unless you needed a huge jolt of adult entertainment. Kamala Beach itself was calm and quiet, and a nice place for small children to swim.

In comparison to other resorts we have stayed at, the Sunwing is not a flash, luxury resort. It is middle of the range, but has everything a family might require, plus more, particularly if you have young children. The price was fantastic - half the price of places we usually stay in, but it really did suit a group family holiday fantastically.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend the Happy Baby Studios that are closest to the beach, and furthest from the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank winnifred_1970
Hawalli, Kuwait
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I have a belief that where I stay must be equal to or better than home or I'd rather stay home. I am thus, admittedly, snooty about resorts that proclaim 4 and 5 star status. My expectations are high and I expect yo get what I pay for.
The highlights: the unbelievable amount of pools which the kids thoroughly enjoyed, large, spacious rooms, kid-friendly hotel and restaurants and friendly staff. The on-site mini-mart made it easy to purchase sunscreen and other essentials when we ran out and there is a taxi service on-site and just outside the gates. Furthermore, a weekend market and the amazing Phuket Fantasea is a few minutes walk away. What is perhaps the best thing is that the Kamala village, which is adorable and full of places to discover, to eat and to shop at, is a short 3 minute walk away. The beach is lovely and the beach vendors are plentiful. The hotel also helped arrange fantastic tours through reputable service providers.
My constructive criticisms:
There was a situation where the hotel misplaced all our passports, jewellery etc and for 20 minutes, our world stood still while the hotel frantically tried to locate it. We had given it into the safe-keeping of the hotel because they'd offered to move us to their sister hotel The hotel was fully booked and this is how they created space. We thought, "Why not?" and did it. The provisio was that the duty manager keep these docs and jewellery safe as we were doing a day trip to Phi Phi. This is an age-old hotel offering but ... when I went to claim the docs, they'd lost it. In the end, our trusted docs were found lying in the lobby of the other hotel on top of our bags. As it had a notice of safe-keeping written on it, I don't understand why there was a mishap... the only thing I can think if was that the duty manager simply did not care. You see being expats, passports are invaluable as they contain our residences in them too. So, losing a passport is a HUGE deal.... my husband could literally have lost his job which meant us being kicked out of the country (worst case) and best case we have to pay for accommodation while we wait weeks to months for new residencies sans income. I had had the most amazing day visiting Phi Phi and it ended up as a nightmare with me shakily bursting into tears in the lobby. And what made is worse was that the manager's reaction was to become defensive.
What's more, I had witnessed at least 4 British families that had arrived and found that the hotel was double-booked and that there was no room for them. (Do you see now why they 'offer' to move others to their sister hotel?) Granted it was Easter but still a peak period is jig an excuse for a 4 star establishment to royally mess up to such an extent! And don't think that if you book through a travel agent that you're safe. No, the one family we ran into had booked through Thompson's in the UK and this happened to them.
So, my constructive criticism is this: sort out your management! Ensure that they understand their role and that your processes of hand-off between shifts are smooth. Also review and improve upon your booking system. Then, when you say you will 'make it up to me', don't not fulfil that promise. I got a merger fruit basket, a pack of nuts and a tube of of Pringles to say sorry. Also accompanying that was a bottle of wine, and as I do not drink alcohol, I informed the manager of this and requested non-alcoholic, She then left the beer she gave me in the fridge and said she'd give the wine to housekeeping. I had had enough by then and let it go.
Without the above incidences, the downsides would be: the rooms are a bit run-down... they are clean but need sprucing up. On our second stay (after staying at the sister hotel) the one wall had a patch of damp going down it. Poolside service can be improved... in fact, it can be offered as it doesn't exist. This hotel is a basic 4 star hotel, bordering on 3 star. The bedding, mattresses and pillows are old, worn and uncomfortable. If you're halal or vegan the kiddies' buffet is very limited at times and so is breakfast.
Without the many pools and the location, it would never pass for 4 star in my opinion. It lacks a certain sense of luxury that's comfortable without being snooty and that, to me, is what a 4 star hotel should be.
Would I stay here again? No way! I will definitely return to Thailand but I'd rather save up, pay more and stay in a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Aneesa P
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Spend time here with my family and grand kids. People are very friendly and the meals are good. Room service is excellent, close to the beach and massage by the beach. Stayed for 12 days and got to know the locals. Great family accommodation.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shirley B
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This April was our third time staying at the Sunwing and yet again it didn't disappoint. Starting from the excellent customer service given to us by Pearl in reservations who again looked after us in getting a room we requested. Having an older child the pool access room is perfect for our needs. Wonderful to step out of your room into pool!
The Sunwing is excellent value for money the rooms are in good condition with the bonus of having a small kitchenette with good size fridge.
The staff have always been lovely special mention to Ivy in the restaurant and Say and Rose in the kids club who always greet us warmly each year. The restaurant is very good and great value, although we prefer to dine at the local ones enjoying seeing the friends we have made over the years.
The Sunwing is a family resort filled with many young families and I would and have highly recommended it to many people who loved it. More of our friends are staying in July. It is safe and clean and the best thing also is the location it's right in the middle of beautiful Kamala beach. We love the quiet, relaxed lifestyle of Kamala away from the chaos of Patong!
Thanks Sunwing for yet again another great holiday!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Pauline O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamala
Sunprime Kamala Beach
Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach
Swissotel Resort Phuket Kamala Beach
Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa

Been to Sunwing Kamala Beach? Share your experiences!