“Guest House: budget rooms near the beach”

Clear House Guest House
Ranked #9 of 42 Kamala B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Guest House: budget rooms near the beach”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

This place was exactly what we wanted- basic, clean rooms, near the beach at a good price. We stayed in Kamala during the week of Dec 25 so hotel prices on the island were very high. We knew we would not be spending much time in our rooms so we searched for budget room in a good location.

What was good:
-great location (5 min walk to the beach, bars, shops, restaurants etc)
-quiet (no street noise)
-huge shower (lots of hot water)
-comfortable bed (a bit firm)
-simple furniture (ikea style)
-run by a nice family (rented us scooters and arranged transportation for us)
-free wifi (good connection)
-good air conditioning
-all the rooms are on the first floor with small patios
-price

What could be improved:
-bathroom is out dated
-quite a few marks on the walls (it may be time to paint the place soon)
-no in-room safe

We liked the laid back feel of Kamala and had a nice stay at Clear House.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Kristiansand, Norway
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Stayed two weeks in Clear House Dec13/Jan14. Very nice and friendly staff. The rooms were clean.
The facilities are simple but what do you need when you are on a vacation in Thailand. You are not supposed to sit in the hotelroom all day. ;-)

They did not serve breakfast but half of my vacation I was in other places and my buddies stayed in another hotel so I ate there when I was in Kamala.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Asia
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I am leaving the "Clear House Resort" this morning after a great one night stay. Building is new and clean, great view over the pool and nice toast and tea for breakfast.
Clear House is two properties - the "Resort" comes highly recommended by me, value for money and nice staff.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Lille, France
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Well, I think that the price is a little too expensive for the place (no breakfast for example, no view)
Personnal are polite, and have the smile.
You can also rent motorbike.
Five minutes to the beach, by foot.

Note that to pay by credit card, they demand +3% ?!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here last year, and unexpectedly finding myself in Phuket again decided to stay again as had such a good experience then, read my review from 2012!

It still has a good location, the lady now in charge is helpful but it just needs a little TLC. A lick of paint here or there, and new bed linen (it was clean but had holes etc) would bring this place back. Otherwise I still like the vibe and the layout, but it needs to improve.

I'm afraid I wouldn't go back.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
caloocan
Reviewed 19 October 2013

First time to visit Phuket, Kamala specifically and this place is such a wonder!!!
They don't have the beach front scenery, nor the pool area but the room was really spacious and clean, air-con was functioning well. Bathroom was bigger than what i have expected and the bed is good for perhaps 4 people.
There is a couple who are taking care of this chalet and they are really hospitable. They offer an airport service too for a fair cost.
If you are really looking for a relaxed and tranquil place then this one is the great choice..

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 5 September 2013

After spending 3 weeks in different places across Phuket, I looked for a calm, more relaxed area closer to the airport and accommodation close to the beach, massages, markets. This place was exactly that. Kamala is a calm, peaceful area with tailors, massages, manicure/pedi, restaurants all in a row all around in 30 seconds to 2 minutes location.

The lady who manages it along with her daughter are really sweet and proactive.

Air conditioner is excellent. Place is set in a lovely courtyard with two chairs on the 'verandah' which face in this U-shape. I was on holiday solo and felt really safe with the apartments facing inwards but still have some privacy. I paid 800 baht off season & thought this was exceptional value. The place is bright & airy and spacious & clean. You have complimentary 2 bottles of water and my apartment had a massive 'shower room', I think you could fit 10 people in mine! The room has a DVD player with DVDs to rent (not that I would even use that), a fridge, lovely linen on the beds, open cupboard.

Also if you book this via an agency the price does not include taxes but if you book direct with the hotel it does - so best to do that - see their website for their 'all in price'. I needed a tailor and again the Manager/Owner was incredibly helpful - everything was a pleasure for her - she even helped me zip up all my cases as my Manicure was still drying. On my last day I had a gorgeous 4 hour treat from a beauty place nearby called Sabai massage place - the girls are fantastic, great 2 hour massage, manicure, pedicure, foot scrub - really did an excellent job, especially the manicure & pedicure. I did miss seeing the pop-up street hawkers on their motorbikes, but if you venture further out with a bike in the area they are 10plus minutes away.

The beach is perfect for catching waves - there are a few surfers out there - there is a nice rustic line of more massages, bars and restaurants along the beachfront with smart looking apartments and bungalows. There isn't much happening in the area - it was low season though - and this suited me perfectly.

Although there is a sign for the motorbike renters to be aware of starting up and making a noise in the courtyard - people still tend to start up their motorbikes - there were only 2 for rent and someone started theirs up and revved off, so now I know how loud that can sound (only for a few seconds though), I would probably walk my bike out that area & startup in the driveway.

Big bonus is their WIFI is brilliant! Better than some of the top star hotels I stayed in! Also once you sign in to it, your smartphone instantly signs in until your departure when you're back in your apartment. Most other places, I had to keep re-logging in everytime I returned to the hotel, but not here.

Also the lady manager is always around and ready to help with whatever. The driver is her son-in-law and he is a friendly, quiet and sweet man who took me to the airport - price is in line (if not a little cheaper) than the taxis in the area.

I was happy with my choice of this area and also the accommodation - really nice and rounded off my holiday perfectly!

p.s. Elephant trekking is nearby although the one I went on was a 'cheaper experience' - It was called 'Camp Chang Kalim'. When I arrived there the whole setup was cheap & if they just made a few amendments it could be better. My 'guide' was sleeping and didn't really fancy taking the elephant out for a walk, they offered photos of you on the elephant for 250b which looked great (pic of you on the elephant with the lovely backdrop of the forest), in reality I got a pic of me on the elephant with tarmac all around & a toilet sign in the background - not very wild, it was taken when you first get onto the elephant. The guide looked as miserable as anything in the photo with me smiling in the background. Next time I wouldnt go to this camp, rather go to another one. Also the actual 'trek' was not much - I was told it would take me & I'd see views off two beaches with pics of lots of greenery etc. The reality was walking through chicken pens to a big rock, the guides helpfully take loads of pics of you (way better than the 'official' photographer) and then take you back. - i.e. the previous elephant trekking trip was more rustic and wild walking through the mountains which was slightly more costwise but I'd much rather pay that and enjoy a great experience amongst the mountains with views and also you feel like you're going through a proper forest/jungle.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo