“Awesome resort”

Thavorn Beach Village Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Kamala
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights in the ocean view room. The resort is beautiful, extremely clean, staff very courteous. On arrival you are greeted with a cold towel, juice and a plate of fruits. You dont need to stand in a queue for checkin, You can wait in the lobby and the staff takes your documents and returns with your key. They personally escort you to the room. The rooms are very spacious and has a beautiful view of the bay. There is a tram that takes you to the rooms, Initially the tram sounds very exciting, but a couple of trips later you find it to be very slow. The resort does have its own private beach, though keep in mind that swimming here is close to impossible since it has a lot of rocks. The restaurant is nice with good size portion of food per serving.
You might want to keep some buffer time during checkout since the staff has to travel between various levels in the hotel using the tram which as mentioned earlier is a bit slow

The resort is around 3-4 kms from Patong . Cant wait to head back there and stay longer.

Room Tip: Never wrong to ask and try for a room upgrade :)
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paulprash21
There are newer reviews for Thavorn Beach Village Resort & Spa

Reviewed 27 June 2014

This is where i fell in love with Phuket again.

Thavorn Beach Village & Spa , Phuket Thailand is a rated 4.5* resort located on Nakalay Bay between Patong and Kamala. This resort is extremely special because the rooms on the hills are accessible by cable car. They even have their own private beach.

Their rooms are equipped with:
Sunloungers on balcony (Hillside Oceanview)
Jacuzzi on balcony (Hillside Oceanview)
Writing Desk
Satellite TV
Ensuite Bathroom with separate Shower room & Bathtub
Toiletries (including Shampoo, Conditioner, Bath Foam, Shower Cap)
Hairdryer
in-room safe
Mini Bar & Fridge
Tea and Coffee making facilities
Umbrella, Bathrobe, Slippers, Beach towel already provided in room
They also provide 24/7 Room Service.

The only cons are, there is no wifi in room. You may get access to wifi at the lobby or restaurant though. Talk about a true getaway! No work emails! Yes, you can find here!

Hillside Oceanview Villa pretty much the same as the hotel's gallery photos. You don't see much of wear & tear even though its not a new place, everything's well kept. Personally, i went around the whole resort. And i realised my room actually had one of the best views and largest balcony.

And please, if you come here please book the Hillside rooms instead. The beachfront rooms are nothing special as compared to Hillside. On top of that, you get to ride the cable car and enjoy all the nature/ocean view!

The room also comes with large balcony that gives you a panoramic ocean view. There's 2 sunloungers for you to just sit back and relax. You can even make reservations with the restaurant to have a private BBQ Dinner at your balcony.

And the surrounding are just really beautiful. This resort is really so different from the others, you'll feel like you're embraced by the nature. Don't be surprised if you bump into chickens or rabbits, they actually do live in this resort. The owner/founder of Thavorn actually focus a lot on conservation and sustainability of the nature, animals and even sea life.

Basically, i just loved this resort so much. I was just spending time at their private beach and walking around the resort. I had both my lunch in the resort itself.
I had my lunch(Pork Tenderloin) at the Marisa Terrace just by the laguna pool. My mom had Khao Phad Kung(Fried Rice Prawn) which i never got a photo of it because i was enjoying this so much. Their food are all really delicious! But of course, it comes with a price. This Pork Tenderloin was 500+ baht and the Fried Rice was 300+ baht, soft drinks were a 120baht. Its still on the affordable range, but it may be a tad' expensive in Thailand's context.

The resort also has several other dining options, and also a pool bar for you to chill out at.

Overall, i really enjoyed my stay at Thavorn Beach Village & Spa.

Room Tip: Hillside Rooms opens to a balcony with panoramic oceanview. Rooms are also more spacious.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank hhtebaz
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I visited this place in 2010 and it made such a lasting impression that we went back this year to get married.

Wedding aside, the resort is idyllic. Completely private beach (so NO SELLERS) at your disposal. Is a bit rocky in low tide but in high tide you can swim past this area. Alternatively you can snorkel straight out there to see some cool fish. The water is very clean here too, due to the attentive hotel staff always maintaining the beach.

Location - It is ten minutes out of the main area, which I notice lots of people complain about. Its one of the best things about it!! A free shuttle into town, or a $5 taxi ride - not a big deal when you think of the peace and quiet, the deserted beach, and the beautiful grounds that you get as a trade-off.

Food - Breakfast is great, something to please everyone, including an egg chef and excellent coffee. The restaurant food is actually great quality too. We had a few western snacks by the pool such as pizza and club sandwich, and they were delish. The Thai restaurant here is also fantastic - food is not too westernised, not too expensive, and really delicious. The western food and cocktails etc ARE western prices - it is an exy resort. However with good beer and pizza specials etc, you can work around it if you are staying there for drinks etc.

Staff - The staff are impeccable at this resort. We found around half the staff dont speak great English, but it didnt matter one bit as they were SO friendly and eager to help that if they didnt understand what you were after, they ran off quick smart for someone who would.

Grounds - We have never stayed anywhere that comes closed to competing with the grounds of Thavorn (and we travel a fair bit). Stunning gardens everywhere, beautiful hillside enclosing the resort, clean quiet beach, and the pool - gosh, i mean just check out the pictures. It's second-to-none. You can spend an hour just going around the gardens, seeing all the orchids, the birds, the hidden statues - we struggled to choose a spot for the ceremony because there was too many!!

Rooms - The rooms are lovely, however we have never stayed on the hillside, and I can understand that if you are there for a longer time (we stayed 11 days) that the cable car could get a bit tedious. We stayed 7 nights in a garden villa, and upgraded 4 nights to a beach front villa. The rooms are almost identical, just the location of one is immediately fronting the beach. You dont need to spend the money to get beachfront if it isnt in your budget - the garden bungalows are beautiful, free-standing, and arranged in such a way that most get a view of the beach anyway.

Wedding - Finally, the wedding package for those that are interested. We simply paid for the package, and didnt worry about any extras such as choosing my own flowers etc. And I have to say, it blew our minds. We had pretty high expectations, and never did I think it would EXCEED them! We had a great wedding planner, who coordinated everything, we didnt worry about a thing. The flowers and overall decorations for the ceremony and reception were out of this world. The flowers alone would have been thousands and thousands of dollars in Australia. We were all set up to go on the beach when a monsoonal storm hit about 2 hours before the ceremony... disaster? No! About 30 hands on deck moved our location within half an hour! We were on a beautiful second story pavilion among the trees, with the beach as the backdrop. The staff were impeccable, and got really caught up in the excitement too which was lovely. I had an army of people making sure not a single rain drop hit me - I mean, I couldnt have felt more doted on. The celebrant was great, a westerner that has clearly been doing it a long time and was very natural and funny, and set a good mood. The reception dinner was thai food (by our choice - there are a million menu options, they can do anything) and it was fabulous. Food so delicious (and plentiful!!! I couldnt believe the servings) and staff so attentive. And of course the setting, with the waves breaking in the background....ahh, take me back now.
I cant vouch for the on-site hair and make-up as I did my own, but I'm sure they would do that well too.

We are on our honeymoon now but keep thinking about Thavorn during our travels.

Heaven - go there! All our wedding guests were just crazy about it, and now half of them follow Thavorn on facebook haha.

Room Tip: We prefer to be in a bungalow on the grounds, whether it be garden, beach or pool. The 'hillsi...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed 5 nights at Thavorn & didn't want to leave. Everything was perfect from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. We had a hillside ocean view room 5207 with spectacular views & everything in the room worked well & was cleaned to a high standard. The resort itself was spotlessly clean & had excellent facilities. The pool is definitely the biggest & most beautiful pool I have seen, the beach was great to lay on although not the best for swimming but we preferred the pool any way. The staff were all amazing, very friendly & always greeted us with a smile. We would like to especially thank Linda at reception, she made us feel extra special, nothing was too much trouble & she always went that extra mile to make our stay perfect. The buffet breakfast was great to start the day off, had a good variety of food every morning. We also ate lunch & dinner at the restaurant which we found very expensive (compared to patong) but we didn't mind as the food & service was excellent. The free shuttle to patong was great but didn't run very regularly (3 times a day), we rented scooters instead which made things a lot easier to get around. All in all we loved the hotel & would highly recommend it.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed in one if the beach front villas. Beautiful view of the ocean and night life of patong . The grounds are perfectly manicured and attention to detail is seen throughout the gardens. We spent a good hour looking around all the uniqueness of this resort. The pool is massive and well maintained. The times for the shuttle bus are a little of beat and could probably be reviewed. I'm not sure about the prices at the resort for drinks but I guess it is a resort and the average price for a spirit drink is 10 aus dollars. Food was average breakfast has a wide variety of food to choose from. The staff are very friendly and everytime you turn around someone is there to assist you good bad or just what's expected ? Would I stay here again? Yes I would not even bother looking at other rooms as far as we are concerned everyone ended up on the beach so we had the perfect room stepping out onto the sand. House keeping was the only minor hassle. My expectation is high in this area and to have to ask for it everyday was not okay. Hotel charges 900 baht to airport and 400 to patong via taxi service .

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Bluedablue
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Honeymoon at Thavorne was really good. Food was divine, room was tidy, hospitality of the staff was excellent, location picture perfect, steam bath was rejuvenating, candle light dinner was like dream.. love with Thavorne :) thanks for making my honeymoon truly memorable. ...

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank soniasherin
Reviewed 18 June 2014

First of all, I would like to Thank the staff at Thavorn for their 5 star service and accomodations. We stayed 20 days in the Phuket area, 5 of which was at Thavorn.

Check in:
When we arrived the first day, we were greeted by the hotel reception staff with fresh fruits, juices, and couple of cooled towelettes. The "HUGE" hotel Lobby was absolutely beautiful, with Thai statues, local Thai plants and flowers that decorated and filled the spacious lobby.

Room:
We were then taken up to our room which was an ocean view villa with a Jacuzzi on the hill side. Walking through the resort and seeing some of the other beach view rooms, I would strongly recommend getting the ocean view villas. After walking into the room, we entered the dining room and the living room. The dining room had a regular dining table with a couple of chairs, the living room had a really comfortable sofa, coffee table, and faced a flat screen TV. Separated by a wall on the other side was the bedroom and luxury bathroom. The bed was extremely comfortable, nice and firm, the pillows were a little thicker than my preference. The bedroom was huge, also with a sofa and a coffee table, and an office table. Both the bedroom and living room has sliding doors to the patio, leading to a splendid ocean view and overlooking the pool and the entire resort. The bathroom was very spacious with with a standing shower stall, as well as a tub and two wash basins. All of the rooms were very spacious and extremely clean, we actually took off our shoes before entering our room. Room accommodation included bottle water, mini bar, and occasionally they even bring up complimentary fruit.

Resort Grounds:
Walking through the resort feels like a walk inside a national park or a very large garden. The resort itself has 20+ years of history, and the surrounding plants are very well preserved and are most likely over several hundred years old. Not only were we surrounded by native plants, there are also various small animals we saw walking around enjoying their surroundings. The pool was huge, kind of like the lazy river at a water park, swimming around the pool was kind of like an exploration around the resort. There is a cable car that takes you up to the hillside villas, it runs very slow, but I think for safety concerns, it's probably just the right speed. I strongly recommend a morning stroll around the resort premises.

Beach:
At the end of the resort is its own beach, which was very clean and well maintained. Beach chairs and canopies are set up for sunbathing, all free of charge. There were a couple of kayaks along the beach I think that people can take out as well, but we didn't get a chance to use them. Walking further down the beach, is the wharf, Thavorn's other beach view rooms, fitness center, and a smaller swimming pool. There were also a punching bag, darts board, and other activities set up along the beach. Personal recommendation** During low tide, walk further out to the beach, and explore the corals and marine life, but must wear sandals and try not to destroy live corals.

Restaurants:
Every morning, from 6-10am, breakfast is served in Marrisas. Variety of breakfast served was very good. They got bacon and eggs, ham, fresh fruit, toast, pancakes, coffee and tea. Also noodles and rice, etc. We really enjoyed their coffee and fresh fruit in the morning. In the afternoons, we would go to the pool and swim and sun bath. The pool side bar is awesome, they have these stone seats in the pool, and they serve you drinks and food while you are submerged in the pool. The pina colada was excellent, pretty much anything coconut I loved (hahaha). They also served us shrimp chips as snacks with the drinks. We also had Pad Thai, Tom Yum Gong Soup, which is just as good as anything you'll find in Patong. One of the afternoons, we spent 3 hours sitting at tables they got set up next to the beach. We had a wonderful (quiet and relaxing) afternoon tea, beach side, water front, shaded from the sun by these hundred year old trees. ****Try their Pina Colada and Pad Thai.****

Staff:
Thavorn became our home away from home, really. By the end of our stay, the staff became like family. Each and every staff member were courteous, helpful, polite, and HELPFUL. We rented a motorbike for the time we spent in Phuket, and one of the lady (Noi) walked up to us, told us to be very careful riding the motorbike as its very windy, and since it rained in the morning, the roads will be wet and slippery. Many of the places I go, and resorts I stay at, you don't get this type of heartfelt concerns from staff members. (Thank you Noi). During breakfast, there were couple of young men (O and Tong), they were so polite and helpful each time we saw them, always made sure my coffee cup was filled, and took away the finished plates as soon as I set them aside. Service was just excellent. Linda was very helpful with our reception and accommodation needs, as we needed to check out later than the usual time and last day we stayed. During our stay, I worked out in the fitness room, "Od" is the personal trainer there, and he was very attentive to our needs, made sure air conditioning was on, TV on the sports channel, gave us towels. He also teaches Yoga and Muai Thai as well, which is offered by the resort for free, inclusive of the hotel reservation. Od is cool!

Overall Accommodation: On our last day, our plane leaving Phuket was at 9:30pm. The hotels usual checkout time is at 12:00pm. After letting the reception staff know of our situation, they delayed our checkout until 3pm, and told us we can use the hotel amenities up until the time our taxi arrives, which was at 6:30. So we went to the pool, swam, sun bathed, and enjoyed the resort up to the minute our taxi arrived. The reception staff even arranged taxi for us.
My opinion: Throughout our 20+ days in Phuket, I stayed in many luxury resorts. But this was probably the most memorable experience I've had during the time in Phuket.

The +: The resort is extremely beautiful. The staff goes above and beyond their daily duties, the work tirelessly cleaning, assisting customers, attending to every specific needs and details. The resort grounds and rooms and amazingly clean. Food was excellent.

The -: The cable car is a bit slow. The resort itself is a bit far away from Patong, but that can be resolved by renting a motorbike or using the resorts shuttle service.

Room Tip: If you want to eat seafood, go to the fish market across from Jungceylon. Very affordable prices on...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Joyce L
RogerGibson, Manager at Thavorn Beach Village Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your 5 Star Review of Thavorn Beach Village and Spa, I am delighted we provided your most memorable experience whilst visiting the Phuket area and a "home away from home" during your travels.

I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to all of our staff about making you feel like one of the family. We strive to welcome all guests with our warm and friendly Traditional Thai hospitality so it is very rewarding for us to read your comments.

Thank you once again for your valued feedback and we hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our resort in the near future as well as your friends and family.

Kind Regards

Roger Gibson
Director of Marketing Communications

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamala
Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach
Chanalai Garden Resort
Chanalai Garden Resort
#12 of 56 in Kata Beach
Sunprime Kamala Beach

Been to Thavorn Beach Village Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!