This large and very impersonal hotel was a real disappointment. The hotel has extensive facilities and is nicely located by the rather busy beach. There are a number of swimming pools but getting a sun lounger can be a challenge even in low season! Most seem to be reserved despite notices to the opposite and the staff seem not to care.
Indeed the staff seem not to care about anything. And at no stage during my 5 days did I see any manager. The staff, at best, could be described as indifferent - although on a very few rare occasions individual members of staff did acknowledge me and even say hello. But generally they didn't seem to care - from the porter bordering on rudeness when moving my luggage (having been initially allocated a room with a balcony almost completely obscured by a tree) to the cashier on checkout who, having been assured several times that the minibar item I had been incorrectly charged for was not correct eventually checked and then merely said, in a grudging manner, "wrong room". No apology.
A further example of the 'couldn't care less' attitude was a waitress at breakfast who dropped and smashed a cup which had clearly been half full. She checked that her mobile phone in her apron was not damaged but made no attempt to clean up the mess on the floor and merely continued clearing tables.
The hygiene standards were unacceptable - the trolley for dirty plates and the slops bucket was very close to the food servery.
I could go on about the large number of individually relatively trivial issues which taken together can make the difference between a good and bad overall experience. But I have to mention the difficulty, having booked and paid for a more superior room, to get moved when my initial room was right next to the noise of cars arriving and not having a pool view at all was a very disappointing start to a less than happy stay.
I am aware of a number of good reviews for this hotel. I was traveling as an independent traveller on my own and I suspect many visitors are part of tour groups etc and the hotel relies on those reps to do their job of supporting and giving information to guests.
The information provided on arrival was poor and with such a large complex with different blocks and facilities some basic information about where things were located would have been helpful. Instead the receptionist merely pointed in the direction of my room. On occasions when I did ask staff for directions or information, such as where I could get the pool towels, I was invariably just told "over there" "up there" or "down there" pointing to another part of the hotel but without really helping. But, as I have said, it seems like the staff just couldn't care.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sunprime Kamala Beach is a place where life is calmer, where every day is a break from everyday life and where time for once is on your side. Children probably think that this is a totally boring place. Adults traveling without children describe this as simply wonderful. We have adjusted all our services according to your interests, especially those of you appreciating good food, wine, wellness and a calm relaxed atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, HostelWorld, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ctrip TA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Sunprime Kamala Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kamala Beach Resort (a Sunprime Resort) Hotel Kamala
- Kamala Beach Hotel
- Sunprime Kamala Beach Phuket