“nice and quiet resort”

Ranked #18 of 36 Hotels in Kamala
Johannesburg, South Africa
“nice and quiet resort”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Me and my wife had a very pleasant stay at this hotel. Staff were always friendly and polite, and small issues in the room were fixed immediately. The room had a great view and very clean.
Even though it was a bit isolated from all the happenings of phatong and even kamala beach, we preferred it that way. The hotel had free shuttles to both beaches anyway.
A great place to eat is the Bua restaurant about 1km from the hotel (next to Rock Fish). They had great food and great service with a great view over kamala beach. Also very well priced. Definitely our favourite.
If the craziness of Phatong doesn't appeal to you and want some quietness, then this is not a bad resort choice.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Nicely built place but handled by very rude and cold employees. People in hospitality industry really need to understand well the meaning to warmth. My experience last month became awful when I reached Aquamarine's reception after a long flight. The staff at the front desk behaved in a highly unprofessional manner and gave a real cold welcome and a Warm Face Towel LOL. We as we check in to our rooms which was "Thai Villa" we were told that they are only partial sea view against what was committed but indeed we got the full view of the rubbish dumped on the roof top of hotel. Although the rooms were nice and colourful there was nothing like a Villa. on day 1 we faces a Gigantic attack of red ants on all the eatables that we stocked over the refrigerator and this horror lived with us for rest of the days and we were daily attacked on very place where every we tried to put any eatables.

The welcome fruit basket arrived only on the day of check out after 5 reminders, which obviously could not be relished. service to the room was very slow possibly because of accessibly to the room. Explaining the subject the staff on phone was a tough task! as they couldn't understand English so things like Tea bags took a couple of hours to reach us.

Staying at this hotel do not expect anything other than good rooms and great views and that is what I give them these stars for.

Management really need's to wake up.

Room Tip: Deluxe sea view rooms are best choice for a nice view. Although we took Thai Villa but I think we co...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank shaan p
melbourne
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Ok, where should I start,
First, the room smell musty, but it's ok, I can get over it, but the bathroom wall all over are mouldy, as U can see in the photos. During my trip outside of the hotel I came across a Aussie guy and I mentioned about mouldy wall, he said it is common in Thailand because of the topical weather. I feel very uncomfortable to have shower in a mouldy shower room.
Second, look at the photo of the bathroom basin, is it because of the weather? I informed this issue to the staff, and I was offered another room in the next day, but still the same, some yellowish stuff around the drain area, I don't want to know what it is. Gave up on it.
Third, an insect liked substance in the bath tub in the first bathroom, I did not want to get a close look to find out what it is. Told the staff about this, then they fixed it, which was great.
Fourth, poor maintenance of the balcony, dirty. I did not use the balcony at all.
Fifth, i stayed in seaview deluxe room, only get around 30-40% of the sea view, most of the view is the roof of another building, most of the time i shut the curtain to stop getting disappointed.
I booked for 8 nights, but left after 5 days because i have done most of the things in Phuket and i did not want stay in this hotel. Now in Bangkok, also a 4 star hotel, much better even though it does not have a sea view.
Back to my review, there were positives, staff were friendly and helpful. Swimming pool was beautiful but small, having breakfast beside the pool was very enjoyable.
According to my brochure, this hotel advertise as 4star, but i think it should be 3.
If you want sea view room, avoid room starting from 12 and 13, you will not get a good view.
Bed is like concrete, i had a dream two night ago about having sore back and need to call my boss for sickie, then i suddenly wake up with a very sore back.
They don't provide disposable slippers, only plastic slippers, god know how many people had worn them.
Is my expectation too high? Or it is just standard Thailand hotel room, i don't really know.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms starting from 12 and 13, view is not great.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ms_cat2013
Darwin NT
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Lovely location away from the hustle and bustle , if you are looking for a getaway then this place is perfect , Rooms as previously stated are a little tired and require some TLC but are perfectly adequate. Staff are friendly and helpfull and Lunch and Dinner cuisine is superb. The only let dow was breakfast , where selection was minimal and service surprisingly next to non existent, was the one service area where staff were unattentive and no one seemed to be in control providing direction. Off site dining options highly recommende a short 5 minute walk are Pooh Mahs and the White Orchard , fantastic food and cocktails at both venues. Must say that Taxi drivers oon this forum have got a rough deal as all were friendly .200 bhat to Kamala $8 Aus is reasonable considering it cost you $4 Aus just to get in a taxi in OZ. 400 Baht to Patong again reasonable, the trick is to ask the bell boys how much a fare should be a simply negotiate before you get in the cab. They will try it on if you let them which is ony to be expected as they are trying to make living. Also highy recommende is the resort Thai Cooking Class, reasonably priced great experience and a lot of fun an knowledge to be had. All in all a great Resort that in my opinion was only lacking a little TLC and leadership

Room Tip: The Resort is on a steep hill but the views from the seaview rooms are well worth the minimal delay...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jamie N
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We have stayed in Phuket many times and most time we stayed at Mai Khao Beach. This is first time we were staying in Kamala beach area.

After arriving we rented a car to travel as we find that renting a car is so much convenient to move around and luckily we did rent again as we did not realise that the hotel is so far deep inside. It is a nice place to be fair and also the view from the room was not too bad (stayed in a deluxe sea view room). I will list down my feel :

Pro :

The hotel is situated at a hill top and thus looking at the expanse of the sea view. Very quiet as it is very deep inside a lane.
Room has nice views.

Cons:

Need to rent a car if not, it is really not convenient to move around even with the free shuttle bus.
Room is outdated and maybe they should do some renovation or touch up.
Breakfast : I have eaten better breakfast better than what they are serving. They are pretty slow in replenishing food. Not much choices..
You can't really swim at the beach..need to walk out to another beach near by. Too many stones or corals.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank janeteu
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

True to its name has some 3 pools with an amazing view. Best part was getting upgraded to pool villas. Has the typically Thai interiors. Food is avg, nothing to look fwd to. Though a great shack near kamala beach which has good stuff.far and isolated you could ride back in the tuck tuck from patong

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank avanidesai
Singapore River, Singapore
Reviewed 26 August 2013

No frills and budget accommodation nestled on the uphill region of Kamala beach.

If you are looking for 5 stars lodging, this is the wrong place.

But if you are looking for decent tranquil resort to stay for the night which is a 30 minutes uphill drive from the noise and nightlife of Patong beach and pubs, do consider this. This may be the right place to be at, as the rooms are spacious and clean, albeit a bit dim and gloomy at first feel, given the lack of bright internal room lightings but nevertheless a comfortable retreat environment to hole yourself in with a love one or friend. I am a frequent visitor to this establishment whenever I visit Phuket and I have never felt disappointed in my experiences. But of course, to qualify that, I had not set my expectations very high given the price I was paying. But good value is what I would describe it. Clean, spacious, authentic Thai feel in the deluxe room and their furnishings. Do not be put off by the old facade of the sloping entrance of the hotel which sorts of resembles an 80s era Hong Kong gangster bungalow villa entrance. Its the content not the cover which determines the quality of a book or a hotel in this context.

Stayed here more than once via online offers which makes it extremely affordable, That freed up spending for car rental to get by various parts of Phuket, including Patong beach.

Breakfast was decent and does not pale in comparison to other resorts for this price. The pool and sunbathing area were not swarmed with noisy kids which is ideal for quiet appreciation of the hillside view of the ocean.

Whilst the hotel does provide a shuttle service to Patong, it is still relatively out of the way. Even the nearest 7 eleven would require the safety of a car ride instead of a dangerous walk in the pitch black narrow winding road out which could take up to 15 mins to get to. I stress the importance of car for staying at this resort/

The staff of the establishment does put in a decent effort to provide hospitality that is hallmark of Thailand's commitment to its tourism industry. So not faults on that end.

Was here during September and June periods on most of my last stays.

Visited June 2013

Room Tip: Choose from rooms which do not require uphill climb to return to. The rooms overlooking the car park...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends