“Good food, good people!”

La Carbonara Restaurant Pizzeria
Ranked #28 of 126 Restaurants in Kamala
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: La Carbonara is the typical "trattoria" that can be found in the center of Italy. The cuisine is handled by Francesco, born in Rome but of Umbrian culinary training, while the reception is curated by Valentina, who in Umbria was born and raised. The flavors and the products are typical of Maremma Laziale and Valle del Nera (river); from Pecorino cheese to braised lamb shank, hand-made pasta (fettuccine, lasagna, ravioli, potato dumplings) and pizza with a fine and crunchy base, then the homemade bacon, the guanciale (pork cheek) and the black truffle, that goes well even with the tropical climate. The atmosphere and the location are relaxed, airy and comfortable, the large parking in the back allows the enjoyment of a pedestrian and safe location for children who are free to enjoy the garden's greenery while parents can taste selected wines and foods in the fresh evening. La Carbonara restaurant pizzeria is a small tranquil extract of genuine Italian cuisine in the heart of Kamala.
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We visit this restaurant often for its authentic Italian cuisine. The owners are friendly and very knowledgeable. Valentina (the better half of the nice Italian couple that own the place) was able to suggest the perfect wine based on our taste and the food is always superior. Especially nice are their salads, the Italian sausage appetizer, and my favorite is the fettuccine (homemade) with mushrooms. Our friends especially enjoy the Carbonarra sauce. Definitely recommendable for families or anyone that enjoys a taste of Italy!

Reviewed 11 March 2014

La Carbonaras exellent chef Francesco and his lovely wife Valentina, always welcome you, so you feel special .Every day they have at least 3 different specialitis in addition to the meny. The vinelist is also very good, especially being in Thailand, and if there are some space left, look at the desserts

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I had dinner in this restaurant twice during my visit to Kamala Beach.
Service is like any other restaurant in this area. Also the waiter was not sure what was included in the food and did not ask from the kitchen.
They bring you some bread before main course. If you ask for more, they will charge you for that.
Pasta and pizza are ok. Nothing special, but nothing bad either. Portion is not the biggest, so if you have a big hunger have something small first.
The second time visiting this place two of our group ordered a steak. It was served with smashed potatoes, which was not good. The steak was just average, one of them was quite chewy.
If you fancy some Italian type of food while in Kamala, you can visit this place, but do not expect to get nothing fancy. And the price is little bit too much.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Now this time during our vacation in Phuket we found a new gem...super delicious Italian place with real Italian food cooked by an Italian... The owners are a nice Italian couple, he taking care of the kitchen and she taking care of the service... Due to the name of the restaurant I had to try the home made pasta carbonara and it was the second best I have ever had, which is a real compliment :-) ! We actually went there twice because it was so good and also to have a change in between all this yummy thai food....

Reviewed 3 February 2014

So, my first ever written review of a restaurant. Well, firstly, my credentials. I have been lucky enough to have lived in Italy and Sardinia for over a year, where I experienced Italian food in it's finest form. In my former career as a broker, I was also out to lunch or dinner several times a week at the finest restaurants in London, many of them Italian. I am now retired, and I go out for dinner several times a week where I currently live in Phuket. I also owned my own restaurant for 4 years. I have been to the best restaurants in the world - El BullI, Nobu, Petrus and many more. My point is - I know what I am talking about when it comes to food.
Quite simply, anyone who gives this restaurant a bad review, is a moron, or has an agenda, or does not know anything about food.
For Phuket, where the standard of food and service is generally terrible, this is an absolute beacon of hope.
Le Carbonara is a great restaurant. For my main course I had the gnocchi with italian sausage and mushrooms - it was absolutely divine. The owner was in the open kitchen cooking away but still was able to come over to us, and check we enjoyed ourselves. We assured him it was delicious. I have been to a lot of restaurants in Phuket, Joe's on the way to Patong was excellent, Black Cats in Bang Tao was very good - Le Carbonara is now a new favourite.
Italian food is simple, it is about great ingredients. As soon as I read the intro to the menu, explaining how the ingredients were sourced, I knew I was in the right place. I enjoyed the best buffalo mozzeralla I have ever tasted - so creamy - wow it was great. I saw the pizza's the people on the table next to me had, and just by looking I could see they were the real deal - thin and crispy with bubbles - I will be going back soon for one.
All in all, especially placed in the context of eating experiences in phuket - Le Carbonara was top drawer. There was a mistake with my gnocchi, my girlfriends lasagna came out, and I didn't get my meal for another two minutes (I saw the situation unveil at the pass), some people would moan at this. No. This is a busy restaurant, full to the brim when i was there. These things happen at restaurants. It was immediately noticed, and I literally saw Francesco fix the problem. My beautiful plate of food came two minutes later with an apology. Accepted. Again, it was delicious. I had a mojito (perfect) a cold plate of mozzarella (perfect) the gnocchi with sausage (perfect) a bottle of house white (600 baht - very nice), a bread basked with oil and vineger (perfect) a tiramusu (good) and my girlfriend had bruschetta (good) and a lasagana (good) plus an expresso (perfect) - 2,400 baht. All in all, I was very happy and will be back soon. I was motivated to write this review after reading a couple of bad ones about this place, which I really felt were unfair. If you like italian food, this is the best place in Phuket for it.

Valentina T, Proprietario at La Carbonara Restaurant Pizzeria, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Well, what can I say?! Thank you very much for your kindness, my husband and I really appreciate the words you wrote, it really seems you understood our thought about our job and " mission" of our restaurant.
We are looking forward to having you as our guests again,
Best regards,