“The Highlights Were Balanced with the Lowlights”

Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach

The excellent food
The stunning pool villas
The beautiful facilities

Location
As promised, the hotel is set at the base of a cliff at the far end of Kamala Beach, which doesn't show well at all when you first enter from the street, as you have to go past the car park before arriving at reception.

At first glance, the hotel is quiet and tranquil; however, to leave the property, the nearest beach restaurants are at least 10 minutes away, and the nearest town, Kamala, is a 15-minute walk via the beach and a 30-minute walk along the road (NOT recommended). During the day, the beach walk is quite pretty, but at night, it is extremely dark.

Kamala is a very average Phuket town – lacking the charm of Kata and the chaos of Patong. You can more or less get whatever you need there, but it is has no heart.

Kamala Beach is certainly not one of Phuket’s prettiest and doesn't come close to Karon, Kata or Kata Noi. The beach in front of the hotel was a real disappointment as it is rocky, and because the hotel is at the end of the bay, the water doesn't get much wave action or circulation.

Property
Just as the Internet pictures portrayed, the hotel is a new, moderate-sized low rise, with all rooms enjoying a beach view. The higher rooms have good views, so be mindful of asking for a higher floor.

The pool is sizable and very attractive, with a swim-up pool bar and a very experienced bartender. The deck chairs are quite comfortable, though fellow guests have this annoying behavior of “saving” chairs first thing in the morning and then turning up whenever they wished, even hours later. When asked, the staff was reluctant to do anything about it because they didn't want to “inconvenience” those guests, with no thought that perhaps this was an inconvenience to the rest of us.

The restaurant variety is good, but not great, given how secluded the hotel is. Soul Kitchen offers all-day dining, with a large outdoor veranda, which far outweighs the indoor seating. Breakfast is just short of gourmet, with lots of variety, though they were short of fresh fruit every day, which is odd for a good hotel in Phuket. Their once-a-week seafood buffet was a nice change and delicious. The rooftop bar has a beautiful view of Kamala Bay, with very tasty bar food; the lobby bar offers snacks; and the pool bar has a wide variety of choices, though they don't serve dinner.

Staff
Though the staff was generally friendly, they were quite inefficient. Check in took 20 minutes and there was no queue.

On my second day, the construction in the room next door was deafening. When I called the front desk, they were oblivious to the problem. When I asked the manager to come to my room to take a look, it became evident that there was major remodelling going on next door, causing a flurry of phone calls to find out what was happening. Eventually, I was told that the room next door had flooded a few days earlier and the entire floor had to be replaced; something that would have required advance planning and scheduling of contractors. Only when I asked, did he agree to move me, and then that room clearly had a much worse view. Then, only when I asked if that was the only other room available, did he offer to upgrade me, and then moved me to a one-bedroom pool villa. Ooh lah lah, a large, modern suite with a private rooftop pool and sundeck, as well as a large balcony. It was a very nice outcome (thank you very much), but by the time I reached my new room, it was 1.5 hours after my phone to the front desk. So inefficient!

This hotel has so much going for it, it could achieve a rating of five if it just attended to its beach, served food in the evenings poolside, and trained its staff in efficient problem management. So doable….

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room or splurge on the pool villas; they are worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Cindy P
Novotel Kamala ... P, Manager at Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Cindy P

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay with us, we are happy to receive such a detailed and constructive review, thank you. It is always pleasing to read that our guests enjoyed our facilities at the pool and breakfast, and after an unfortunate room changing experience, our Pool Villa was well received, thank you. Please accept our sincerest apologies in regards to the construction noise experienced during your stay, yes, this was to fix a room that had some flooding and it was not our intention to disturb our guests as much as it did but we would like to truly thank you for your kind understanding over that period. Interesting to read your thoughts on Kamala Beach as a location, as many of our guests really enjoy the quiet and peaceful area it is, away from the hustle and bustle of Patong, but thank you for mentioning this to us.

You do raise some good points and some very constructive feedback for us to take away and look at, again I would like to thank you for bringing these areas to our attention. I would love the opportunity to talk about these with you personally if I could, I can be contacted on H7235-SL5@accor.com

Again, thank you very much for writing into TripAdvisor; we are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We're a Singaporean couple who spent 4 nights at Novotel Phuket Kamala. Here are our thoughts:

While quiet and serene...the hotel is much more secluded than we imagined. The nearest town Kamala is a 20 minute walk away along the beach...but is simply not worth the trek. After the recent government beach sweep, shops, restaurants and amenities are in short supply. This made getting even simple things like snacks and sunblock difficult, and frequent trips to Patong essential. Articles describing Kamala as a peaceful town away from the hustle and bustle of Patong are too kind - Kamala is very much deserted. To leave the hotel at all, we had to take a taxi or the free shuttle bus to Patong available at 11am and 4pm. This would be ok if taxis are reasonably priced...but they're not. A one way taxi ride to Patong set us back 500 baht.

Location aside, we thought our room was clean and well maintained, and the staff generally friendly and helpful. After we complained about water flooding the corridors leading to our room, they promptly sent cleaners and had it cleared in an hour or so.

The SoulKitchen restaurant was also a highlight. Breakfast was simple but satisfying. They also do a mean green curry!

While we loved the pool, deck chairs and the view... the beach left a lot to be desired. The area directly in front of the hotel was polluted and rocky - not suitable at all for swimming or hanging out. For someone who chose the hotel because of the beachfront location, this was definitely a bit of a letdown. I would suggest the hotel take the initiative to do a simple beach clean up...just for the area in front of the property.

All in all, we were pleased with the hotel, but not with the location. Transport between hotel and Patong/other nearby towns can be improved, as can the conditions of the beach surrounding the hotel.

Room Tip: ocean view rooms also oversea a large swamp.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank junqiargh
Novotel Kamala ... P, Manager at Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear jungiargh

Thank you for taking the time to write into TripAdvisor following your recent 4 nights stay with us, we are delighted to receive your wonderful comments regarding our friendly staff, the amazing Thai Green Curry from Soul Kitchen, the cleanliness of your room and the view from the pool. The team will be thrilled to hear your kind words and it will serve as an encouragement as we strive to deliver a lasting experience that you can take home with you. Interesting your comments regarding our location as many of our guests enjoy the quiet and peaceful atmosphere Kamala is known for but you do raise a good point regarding the frequency of our free daily shuttle ride to Patong and we have taken your feedback on-board, thank you. Unfortunately during this time of year, the tides change hourly each day and it can be difficult to keep on top of, however, keeping the beach clean for our guests is very important and you will be pleased to know we have implemented a daily cleaning roster and thank you for mentioning this to us.

Again thank you very much for your comments and feedback, we are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We are midstay at the hotel as I type.
My partner and I had planned a trip to Phuket and were debating whether to stay in Patong again or out of the hussle and bussle in Karon or Kamala. The decision was made easy for us when a friend told us she had a scoopon voucher for a week at Novotel Kamala that she couldn't use and we were welcome to.

From the outset, dealing with the staff over email from Australia to organise our stay was efficient and simple, even though our booking was far from straight forward. We had to change the name of the booking from our friend, changed dates 3 times, combined an additional 11 day stay on top of the scoopon voucher, upgraded the superior ocean view room from the voucher to an Ocean Suite and mid stay my sister joined us and needed airport transfers and a roll out bed.
We'd heard horror stories about scoopon vouchers before and were expecting to be told we couldn't use it as our friend had purchased but the only thing that came up was the hotel asking her to email her approval to use the voucher. Special thanks to Pat and Bee/Phung who helped organise everything for us over what must have been 100+ emails back and forth over several weeks with great efficiency!!

The customer service we received from the moment we arrived was impeccable, the FOH staff are very friendly and accommodating of any need or request. Our room was amazing and unlike some hotels in Thailand, the beds were neither rock hard nor too soft. We dined at the restaurant for breakfast every day (included) and had a number of lunches and dinner there too. The western style food (pizza's etc) is very good but the Asian style food is amazing. One of the best massaman curries I've ever had and very accommodating of our dietary requirements (vegetarians but eat fish). The staff are very friendly and give great service.

The primary purpose for our trip was just to take some time to relax and unwind and the location is perfectly suited to that being right on a beautiful stretch of beachfront, surrounded by a hillside and an empty block next door. At times we felt as though there was hardly anyone else around but the restaurant was pretty full at breakfast.

If I had to make some suggestions (all pretty minor issues really):
1/ We spoke with some fellow guests and all agree the shuttle bus timetable needs some tweaking. The single 5:00 return is too early for people wanting to do dinner in Patong and too late for people who just want to go in for an hour or two. Returns should be offered whenever the bus is going in to drop off, seeing it is there anyway. Maybe survey guests over a 2-3 week period and find out their preference for shuttle bus times.
2/ The free Wi-Fi is great however during our stay we found it would drop out and need to reconnect - A LOT. Initially we thought it was our iPad but same thing was noticed on our phones and my laptop.
3/ Beach access can be a little tricky, looks like there was a small bridge across the river that has collapsed.
4/ The food in the restaurant is amazing, especially the Asian dishes. How about a Thai style buffet one night with 3-4 different curries, a couple of rice dishes, some roti etc.
5/ The Australia channel is advertised on the in room guide but it along with a few other channels are just static. For an AFL tragic like myself, it meant I was rushing off to find a bar showing the game. Perhaps a TV in the rooftop bar showing sports might work. It would have resulted in a decent sized beverage bill by myself ;-)

All in all we have thoroughly enjoyed our stay and the above are not criticisms which would stop me staying at the hotel again, just things which would make my next stay even more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Spring the extra for an Ocean Suite. Very large spacious rooms with amazing views of the ocean and b...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AaronWhite78

Dear AaronWhite78

Thank you for taking the time to write in during your time with us! We are delighted to read such positive comments and constructive feedback about your time with us so far. It is our pleasure to make sure your time with us is relaxing and hassle free, I will pass on your wonderful comments to Khun Pat and Khun Bee for the efficient email correspondence and to the team at Soul Kitchen for your your fantastic Massaman Curry experience, thank you! You raise some very good points about areas we can improve our guests stay, you will be happy to know that we are currently looking at our free daily shuttle service schedule and I have passed on your feedback regarding Thai dinner theme night to our F&B team, great idea. Please accept our sincere apologies regarding the Australia Channel and the reception, I have passed this to our Engineering team to address and again, thank you for mention this to us.

Again, thank you very much for writing into TripAdvisor, I believe you have already spoken Carlo during your time here, but If there is anything else I can help with please do not hesitate to contact me directly on H7235-SL5@accor.com.

Kind regards

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Currently we are still staying at the hotel and I am sitting on the balcony overlooking blue skies and the rolling surf of the Andaman Sea.

We chose the location because of its quietness, although some may find the need to taxi everywhere not to their taste. Yes you can walk along the beach to Kamala but in the rain and when it is dark, not enjoyable.

This must be one of the best beach hotel locations on the island and we have stayed in several places, including on our last visit Moms Tri Villa Royale in Kata and even this hotel doesn't have as good a location. We booked an Ocean Suite, which when booked on-line via Accor website is just stunning value. Where there have been negative comments about room views, they are for the less expensive rooms overlooking land area. Spend the extra - it's minimal for what you gain in views.

All staff work exceptionally hard to please, yes there are some language difficulties at times when you made need a response to an issue, but with a bit of patience the staff always come through with solution.

Special mention to the manager of Soul Kitchen. We have been here for over 14 nights (we extended our stay and cancelled plans to travel to another hotel). He is on duty from early morning until late at night and is never without a smile and desire to make sure guests are satisfied. (Hope senior management appreciate him!) Breakfasts dishes are comprehensive, reflecting international clientele. A personal preference; don't overcook the bacon! Lunchtime/evening menus fine, if you don't want to venture out of the hotel. But some good restaurants in vicinity such as Taste at Surin Beach and Plum in Kamala

A hotel I would come back to because of service, location and value

Room Tip: Any room with FULL Ocean View. Higher the floor better the view. If you want space, go for Ocean Su...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Margaret A

Dear Margaret A

Thank you for writing into TripAdvisor during your stay with us! We are happy to read your positive comments about our quiet and peaceful location here in Kamala and the wonderful weather we have had, thank you. Fantastic you are enjoying our Ocean Suite, with its big bath and panoramic view of the Andaman Sea this room is truly wonderful and we are glad to get your comments.
I will pass your kind words to our restaurant Manager from Soul Kitchen and also share your kind words regarding the language with the team, we have been working hard on improving the level of English among the team and they will be thrilled to hear that they could be understood and that their hard work is being noticed, thank you.

I do hope you enjoy the rest of your time with us, if there is anything that I or the team can do for you please do not hesitate to contact me directly on H7235-SL5@accor.com

Again, thank you very much.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Great location very friendly staff. I found the beds exceptionally comfortable that you do not want to get out of bed. The main area of kamala beach is a 15 min walk to Main Street along the beach where there are numerous places to visit. If you don't want to walk just get the friendly staff to organise a taxi for 300 baht. I would highly recommend a stay at Novotel kamala beach.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Adrian G
Novotel Kamala ... P, Manager at Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Adrian G,
Thank you for writing into TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us and the 5 star review! Great to see you enjoyed our location and the local shops in the area, we believe a good sleep has a huge impact for a relaxing holiday and we are delighted to receive the positive feedback regarding our bed, thank you.
Thanks for recommending us, we are looking forward to your return to paradise soon,

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Perfect! This was the perfect way for my Husband & I to celebrate our 5th Wedding Anniversary. Mike (the GM) & team took excellent care of us & nothing was ever too much trouble & so friendly. We were kindly upgraded for our special occasion to a sea view room with a Jacuzzi bath & the room was totally luxurious with a wonderful view of the Andeman Sea & a lovely balcony (think they try their best to upgrade whenever possible & of course, only if there are other rooms free & if requested - which is a good thing for travellers to bear in mind) - this made all the difference to our holiday & because of this we will definitely go back & book a room with a private swimming pool next time, as they looked amazing. Breakfast was delicious & we would highly recommend eating in their restaurant in the evenings, the Surf & Turf evenings are excellent & the wine selection too. We were also treated to a wonderful foot massage for our special occasion, which we were both most appreciative of -thank you. Would highly recommend using their Tour Section at Reception for organising tours, as they were fantastic -Fantasea is a MUST! They also arranged a driver to take us around the whole island, which was amazing, as we stopped off at various beaches/sights/locations along the way, which was totally awesome & our tour guide spoke perfect English & went the extra mile to make sure we saw everything. Our room was on the top floor, which was exactly what we wanted & the views were spectacular. The room was lush, clean and perfect in every way. The bed was of excellent quality & both my Husband & I had the best nights sleep in a long time & taking a bath while looking out to sea was a wonderful experience. The pool, pool bar, gym & spa are excellent. We will definitely be going back - thank you Mike & team for taking such good care of us & for making our 5th Wedding Anniversary so special and memorable - look forward to seeing you all again! Michelle & Rodney (Brits from Bahrain)

Room Tip: Higher floor for the best view. Mention if you are celebrating a special occasion.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Novotel Kamala ... P, Manager at Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Michelle D

It is my pleasure to be able to reply to such a great review today and on behalf of the team here at Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach, thank you very very much! I am happy to read that we helped make your 5th wedding anniversary perfect and that everything from the Villa you stayed in, Surf & Turf night and the tour around the island was enjoyed to the fullest. It is always very encouraging for the team to know that guest’s loved their stay with us, again thank you very much for taking the time to write in and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to paradise again soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This property is great, is perched on the cliff at the end of Kamala, the entry of the hotel feels a bit back of house, but once you reach the lobby area is very spacious an open with plenty of design features. Staff is super friendly and professional. We booked 2 ocean view rooms and got upgraded to Ocean view Villas!!!!, that was the highlight, great rooms super spacious, and very comfortable, the views from your bed are incredible, we slept most nights with the curtains open. The hotel is fairly new, everything was clean and the Novotel service was great our bed got done every day and bar fridge re-stock with water daily. Room service meals were outstanding, The Thai Green curry was exceptional. Breakfast buffed was great, the staff on the floor remembered our family and try to give us the same table every morning very sweet. we didn't use the pool or the beach much as the weather wasn't great.
All in all great hotel, best of all is value for money, using the online booking tool and the early bird promotions we got a massive discount on both rooms. it is challenging to maintain a property this close to the water in good condition, I hope they keep up the good work as we will like to go back at some point. - Nearby Kamala Beach and Surin are great options if the madness of Patong is not what you are looking for.

Room Tip: The Villa's are hard to beat!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Jacquesdb D

Fantastic to receive the 5 star review, thank you! The team and I are delighted to receive your positive comments about the friendliness, professionalism and the feedback on the exceptional Thai Green Curry you enjoyed from your Villa! Yes, the Early Breaks deals offer a great opportunity for good rates and good value so it’s great to read you took advantage of this. I am pleased to read you will be returning, we have reserved your table for breakfast already.
Again, thank you very much; we are looking forward to seeing you again soon,
Events & Marketing Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamala
Chanalai Garden Resort
Chanalai Garden Resort
#12 of 55 in Kata Beach
Swissotel Resort Phuket Kamala Beach
Novotel Phuket Karon Beach Resort & Spa
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Sunprime Kamala Beach
Pullman Phuket Arcadia Naithon Beach

Been to Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach? Share your experiences!