“A little disappointing”

Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Kamala
Dartford, United Kingdom
“A little disappointing”
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Don't get me wrong it is a beautiful hotel, the rooms are large and the beds are really comfy. Everywhere is spotless and kept at a high standard.
My only complaints would be I felt misled when booking this hotel as is said all deluxe rooms come with a Jacuzzi and the photo is of a balcony jacuzzi. When arriving at the hotel we discovered that it is actually a jacuzzi bath tub in the bathroom.
I did enquire about the outdoor one and was told there are only 2 and they are fully booked.
Other grumbles would be the wifi is rubbish and very infrequent.
The drink prices are unreasonable. In a 7/11 a litre of coke is 57bart at the hotel a can is 100bart (£2)
I would not recommend changing up money at the hotel as the exchange rate is really poor.
Finally the staff are helpful and friendly although it appears they have been trained to do/say thing in a certain way which means there is not much sign of the magical Thai atmosphere you get everywhere else.
Overall a pleasant 2 days at this hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michelle N
GM U Zenmaya P, General Manager at U Zenmaya Phuket, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Michelle C,

Greetings from U Zenmaya Phuket.

I would like to begin by thanking your for taking the time to review your stay on Trip Advisor. As one of the newest U hotels I appreciate all feedback on this website as it allows me to address any issues experienced by our guests or clarify matters for any future visitors.

May I offer my genuine apologies that you stay was a little disappointing. As your complete satisfaction is U Zenmaya’s one and only aim I would like to address the points you raised.
If I may politely inform you that our website does clearly state that all rooms contain a Jacuzzi either on the balcony or in the room and the room description in each category clarifies this. I deeply regret that you felt you were “misled” in some way.

The issue regarding the wi-fi in some rooms is currently being attended to by my IT department.

I would also like to mention that the drink prices and exchange rate when changing money are fully commensurate with other hotels in Phuket.

Although your interaction with the staff was positive your comment regarding the way the staff present themselves has been well noted. As a U hotel our service mind is one of our greatest assets and I have spoken to my Training Manager about introducing classes in how we can enhance our guest’s true Thai experience.

May I end by saying that we hope to have the chance to be of service to you on your next visit to Phuket where you can witness the improvements we have made regarding your invaluable feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We r staying here for 2 night..im still here when im writing this review..the staff is very friendly n helpfull..they will always put the smile when they see u..the location is super nice for me..its about 2-3 minit riding from the patong beach..my room facing the sea n have my own jacuzzi inide my room..but they r not providing halal food for muslim..luckily i rent the bike so i can go to patong town to buy some food.

• Stayed June 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Nice to service and nice room , so surprise they have greeting with letter & when i'm open TV have welcome word with my name so amazing ! everything is ok i will come back to this hotel again!! Great !!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rathassan l
Paris, France
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Nice hotel, just open in 2014 (February I think).
On Kalim Beach, between Kamala and Patpong beach, location not very convenient.

Good Points:
- nice view
- comfortable room
- wonderful pool
- restaurant acceptable (a bit expensive)y
- staff friendly, rooms cleaned
- Propose free of charge wifi (and small library rooms) and some bikes (but watch out, roads are not easy to ride!)

Points to be reviewed:
- 2 shuttle only for Patong (and one way only). 1 per hour, with return will be more convenient.
- hotels already open but not finished (fitness room not open in end of May) or bad realized (door of shower is too short, so water flood everywhere in the bathroom)
- no beach (or rather a very small one, with access not easy, and many rocks)

Conclusion: what is this hotel ? A resort for Family - no / An hotel for Business ? Definitely not. Maybe a small boutique hotel, small additional services available (2 meetings rooms, up to 70 persons, maybe good for small weddings)

Compare to U Sensuri in Nai Harn, no doubt, choose Nai Harn. I know that U Hotels plan to open a new hotel in Kata Beach, just fingers crossed to have a real beach this time (or an easy access)

Room Tip: Choose a sea view rooms !!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jbd01
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My son and I stayed at this hotel for three nights. We had an amazing view looking over the sea so peaceful with an amazing jacuzzi on our balcony to relax in at the end of the day. The rooms are nice and very spacious . An amazing infinity pool and a little private beach. The hotel is very clean. The staff were amazing very helpful we were always greeted with a smile. Ommie looked after us so well even swapped her shift on our last day so she could be there to say good bye that was so touching. You also get two free drinks when you check in from the mini bar. Breakfast was amazing. Also a free shuttle to town twice a day.

Room Tip: Ocean view room.. Just so peacefully and amazing views
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Debbie S
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed over at u zenmaya over the weekend. The room was magnificent and spacious. The spa bath at the balcony overlooking the sea was a view worth a million. We also has a spacious bathroom. The hospitality of yeh staff is worth a mention. The guests have the option to choose the pillow type, soap type. We also enjoyed 50% discount on all beverages during happy hour and 20% on food. The breakfast was sumptuous with a wide range to choose from. The restaurants and the bars had a beautiful view of the blue sea. The most eye catching part of the resort was its infinity pool. It was the very place where we spent our daytime.
Located next to the highway, it is very convenient to fetch ourselves a tuk tuk to go downtown to patong with a decent bargain of 300bhat max.
On the rooms of improvement the balcony must have a chair or two to sit and enjoy the oceanic view. At present the balconies are equipped with just the bath bath and a small tool .
Overall u zenmaya is a resort worth a visit and value for money.

Room Tip: Choose a room with spa bath over looking the andaman sea
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 21 May 2014

good
-new
-staff is friendly
bad
-a bit too far from center which cost a lot for taxi
-noisy traffic you can hear from the pool, and you room even if you are on the oceanview you can hear traffic
-small hotel
-food is not consistent sometime good sometime bad
-breakfast is not up to luxury hotel standard but coffee is nice
-they forgot our request on honeymoon room set up
-Private beach is not swimable and there is a small bar that sometime play super loud dance music all night!

Room Tip: if you look for a quite place to stay in Phuket try to look on a map many hotel is by the beach but...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JSothorn
GM U Zenmaya P, General Manager at U Zenmaya Phuket, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear JSothorn

Greetings from U Zenmaya Phuket.

May I begin by thanking you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay with us on Trip Advisor. As part of the U chain of hotels and resorts your satisfaction is paramount to our group and we consider your opinion to be invaluable in allowing us to ensure our guests have the best possible stay.

As we are very responsive to feedback received by our guests I would like to take this opportunity to both sincerely apologise for the aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations and address the issues you raised.
I am delighted to inform you that we have introduced a completely new breakfast set-up and are in the process of enhancing it with further options. We have also taken on a new Dutch Executive Chef with Michelin Star restaurant experience who has created a new and exciting menu for all the hotel outlets.

I deeply regret the lack of a honeymoon set-up in your room. I fully admit that this was a complete oversight on the part of my staff and I have introduced measures to ensure such a situation does not occur again. I genuinely hope that our complimentary upgrade from a Superior to Deluxe Sea View Room went some way to make amends for our error.
I am sorry that the noise from the traffic disturbed you as we have not received any other comments of this nature and judging by the reviews posted on Trip Advisor our guests seem quite complimentary on the peaceful atmosphere we provide when compared to the hustle and bustle of Patong. Regarding the outside bar playing music; once again we have not received any complaints regarding this but if it becomes an issue in the future then I will look into taking appropriate action to ensure our guests are undisturbed.
I fully empathise with your disappointment regarding certain elements of your time with us but hope that my reply reassures you that as General Manager of a U hotel I am proactive in responding to our guests’ valued feedback.

Both I and my team hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again when you can witness firsthand the adjustments we have made.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamala
Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach
Mandarava Resort and Spa
Mandarava Resort and Spa
#2 of 8 in Karon Beach
Avista Hideaway Phuket Patong, MGallery by Sofitel

Been to U Zenmaya Phuket? Share your experiences!