“Retreat with friends”

U Zenmaya Phuket
Ranked #3 of 36 Hotels in Kamala
“Retreat with friends”
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We have been to Phuket for many times... My friends and I have decided to stay at u zenmaya for this holiday. We have read good reviews and booked a total of 4 rooms with sea view. We were impressed with the hotel on our first day. The rooms were spacious, comfortable and very clean. The sea view for each rooms were magnificent and grand in their own way. We do loves our own sea view. Though slightly disappointed that the jacuzzi was in the bathroom, the room are still definitely worth the stay. We have trouble with two rooms. 1 room has problem with the toilet flush and the other room has problem with the hot water. The hotel staff have taken effort to listen to the feedback and fixed it right. Thanks for the professionalism. I must mentioned that the hotel has impressed us that we can select the type of pillows and handmade soap we can use too. It was lovely. I must mentioned the breakfast as it was simple and nice. We can have the option of having in the room or at the restaurant. The oceanic view at the hotel is worth it. The hotel amenities were well equipped with its own gym and pool. Stars glazing in the night was scenic. The library view facing the ocean was great too. Hotel staff service were first class too. Transportation was slightly out of the way as the hotel location was located away from Patong beach. Tuk tuk costs on average 200 baht per trip. Hence, we got a rental car. Overall, we have enjoyed a very pleasant and fun stay at the hotel. We will definitely be back for more...

Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I just checked in today and I'm eager to write this review as I'm still staying here.

Room/the view: I got the sea view room with jacuzzi on the balcony. It is very nice, chilling in the jacuzzi with a breath taking view. Only downside is there is a minor odor in the room and the bedding is quite damp.

Food: I haven't gotten the chance to have the breakfast yet but I did have lunch at their pool side restaurant. We ordered a burger and a sandwich, the food took a really long time since we were the only two customers, not to mention one order got messed up (ordered a steak sandwich but got chicken instead). The food was ok, not bad for the taste, but still quite expensive and there was a 10% service fee on the bill.

Location: I must say that I regret booking this place upon arriving. It is 5 km away from the Patong beach, and there is only two shuttle buses (one in the morning another one in the afternoon one way only). I think this really needs to be improved because customers are paying a lot of money and the hotel should provide easy transportation to the beach and back. In the end, I rode a tuktuk and the waryness of being ripped off by locals is just too stressful.

Overall, it is a nice hotel, but transportation MUST improve.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Chane L
GM U Zenmaya P, General Manager at U Zenmaya Phuket, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear Chane L,

Greetings from U Zenmaya Phuket.

I would like to begin by thanking you for taking the time to share your experiences on Trip Advisor. As General Manager it is my responsibility to ensure that our guests are enjoying their stay and attend to any issues they may encounter and Trip Advisor is extremely helpful in allowing us to do so.

I must sincerely apologise for the fact that, despite your praise of the hotel, there were certain aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to take this opportunity to address the points you raised.

After speaking to you as part of our standard courtesy follow up regarding your stay the staff reported that you appeared satisfied with your room. I am extremely sorry that your room had some issues and I implore all our valued guests to make us aware of any problems with their accommodation and if we cannot rectify the situation immediately will be happy to locate another room for them. As a U branded hotel your complete satisfaction is our ultimate goal.
I regret the inordinate amount of time it took to deliver your food and the mistake with the order. I have spoken to my Director of Food and Beverage over this matter for immediate improvement. I am also sorry that you considered your meal to be expensive as our prices are commensurate with other hotels in our area and at the moment we are offering our in-house guests a 20% discount on their meals.

I am also sorry that you considered our location to not be what you expected. Along with the other luxury properties in our vicinity our guests seem to require a more relaxing time when compared with the hustle and bustle of Patong Beach. However your comment concerning the shuttle service to Patong has been well noted and we will be providing a more frequent timetable during the high season.

May I end by saying that we would love to have the opportunity to be of service to you on your next visit to Phuket where you can witness firsthand the results of your invaluable feedback.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed at U ZenMaya for approximately 10 nights. The choice to stay there was a wise one. The location and setting was amazing,incredible views and spacious and spotlessly clean rooms.

The staff were the best I could wish for, genuine smiles and eager to help in any way they could.

I would recommend U ZenMaya to anyone wanting a beautiful resort in a convenient location at a reasonable price.
When I return to Phuket,I will be definetly staying at U ZenMaya.

Lucas P

Room Tip: My room with a Jacuzzi on the balcony was much better than when I changed rooms to having a Jacuzzi...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Lucas P
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Me and my partner chose to stay at U Zenmaya for a 4d3n trip to celebrate my partner's birthday. As requested, we were given a huge room with privacy and great view. Upon checking in, my partner wanted to soak in the whirlpool but we realized that the water was somewhat brownish in color. So i called the reception who sent the engineers/maintenance guy down. After letting the water run for about 10 mins, its is still brown and they left the room saying "oh its normal water color after the rain. This is normal, Ok." I guess it has to be very normal to have brownish water because we had it for the 4 days we were there.
During my 4 days stay, i have to call the host 3 times to re-activate the wifi because it kept saying that my user id is invalid.
On my first day, I ordered the room service and food came piping hot! The fried rice and the tom yum goong was delicious and the portion was big enough for 2 so we decided that the birthday dinner will be Thai food at the restaurant. On the second day, we went to the restaurant for the birthday dinner. The tom yum goong came half the portion of the room service ones, the pork belly(with vegetables) we ordered came not "clean shaven" with stubbers on the pig skin. The food is disappointing. I went back to the room but my keycard was not working, so i have to go back to the front desk to re-activate the keycard. Everything that should not be wrong went wrong.
On my 3rd day, i received a call from the front desk "You have to check out now" I was shocked, i thought i booked 1 day short and i took a look at my booking with the hotel's website and told the lady that my booking was for 4D3N which means i will check out the next day. She apologized and hanged up. That explains why my wifi was not working again and my room was not made up even with the make-up room sign on when i went swimming. I went out to Patong in the late afternoon for dinner and came back locked out again. I went back to the front desk to re-activate my keycard for the second time during my stay.

My overall experience:
1) Hotel is beautiful, room spacious!
2) Staff are very friendly (Thailand is known as the land of smiles)
3) Location wise, not recommended for people who is visiting Phuket for the first time.
4) Food, Disappointing.
5) I still couldnt get over the normal brownish water
6) The complimentary birthday cake was a very nice gesture but it was covered by the disappointing dinner.

Room Tip: Rooms on the level below the restaurant has more privacy.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sl0th13
GM U Zenmaya P, General Manager at U Zenmaya Phuket, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear SI0th 13,

Greetings from U Zenmaya Phuket.

I would like to begin by thanking you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay on Trip Advisor. Part of my daily routine is to read each and every post made on this website to ascertain which areas of their stay met our guests’ expectations and equally importantly attend to any issues they may have encountered.

After reading your review I was extremely disappointed to learn that, despite the many positive aspects of your stay that you enjoyed, there were some issues you experienced that I fully admit were a result of us “dropping the ball” and not living up to the reputation for the high levels of service we have garnered since opening our doors.

I would like to offer my genuine apologies regarding these matters. As a valued guest your total satisfaction is our ultimate goal and when we have not reached that goal as General Manager it is my duty to respond to your comments in a forthright and honest manner. As part of the U chain of hotels and resorts we do not simply pay “lip service” to the feedback we receive and promise to improve but actively rectify any issues for the benefit of all who visit us.

I would like to offer my further apologies that during your time with us I was away on personal business and regrettably could not deal with your situation myself. Upon my return and after reading your review I have fully investigated your comments and would like to take this opportunity to report my findings to you.

As Phuket undergoes a heavy rainy season it is indeed true that the water supply can appear discoloured during this time. This issue is not exclusive to U Zenmaya but can affect a large portion of the island. To alleviate this problem I instructed my team to introduce more alum into the system and the water is now clear again. However my engineers should have been more proactive in addressing this issue and I have informed them to be fully on top of instances such as this in the future.

The issues with your check-out were a result of human error as a member of my staff entered the wrong check-out date in the system. This is why you had to reactivate your keycard and internet log-in and I deeply regret the inconvenience you suffered. I fully empathise with your frustration over this and have spoken to my Front Office Manager about introducing measures to ensure such a situation does not occur in the future.

Regarding the apparent difference in size between the Tom Yum Goong you ordered from room service and the one in the restaurant. I can offer you my categorical assurances that these dishes contain exactly the same amount of soup as the portioning and recipe is controlled by my Executive Chef so that each dish that leaves the kitchen is exactly the same. However the room service dish and the one provided in the restaurant are served in different containers (a bowl and a clay pot respectively) and have the appearance of being different sizes. I am delighted to learn that upon notifying my staff about this apparent disparity they were more than happy to bring you extra soup.

I have passed on your comments regarding the pork belly to my Chef for his immediate attention and I will be conducting random spot checks of all dishes that leave the kitchen to ensure that our usual standards are being met at all times.

I would like to end by saying that all comments we receive, whether positive or not, are always gratefully received. We work in a service industry and service is exactly what our guests expect and deserve. I hope that my reply to your review goes some way to reassuring you that your opinion is of vital importance and action has been taken over the points you raised.

I sincerely hope that you allow us another opportunity to be of service to you in the near future and show you what a true U hotel experience really is.
Jordbro
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights with my husband and i must say it was one of the best experience of my life. The view from our room was so beautiful and the rooms are big and very nice. The staff is so friendly and helpful! Breakfast was good. Overall a perfect stay and amazing service. Even for such an amazing hotel the price was reasonable. Would recommend this hotel to everyone!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My friends and I stayed at U ZenMaya for 2 nights and we actually wished we stayed longer.

Staff and service:
Staff were wonderful, pleasant and friendly. They tried their best to provide us with the best services and I commend them for their efforts and smiles. We could choose our own pillows and soap and they provided us with the plug we needed to charge our phones. The first impression when we stepped in the hotel was really good and thus we had such a great time throughout our stay. First impression does matter!

Room:
We chose the seaview deluxe room and it was spacious and amazing! I would definitely recommend this room to everyone, the view that you wake up to is spectacular. Even if you don't have your own private pool access, the jacuzzi tub in the room is enough for a relaxing night in the room.

Upkeep of the room is well maintained and very clean.

Pool:
You can enjoy the view of the sea with their pool. It really feels good just to relax and unwind. My friends and I actually compared this to MBS Singapore, and we think the view of the sea here is much better than the view of the city! Thumbs up!

Location:
Location of the hotel is just before patong beach, you can always get a tuktuk for max of 300baht to go to patong beach and bangla road, jungceylon. If you're looking for a peaceful relaxing weekend or trip this hotel provides it. Not too close to the hustle of patong beach but not too far either to get there.

Overall:
We had such a good and amazing trip, we would recommend this place to anyone because of their great service and beautiful spacious rooms. We hope the quality will be maintained and the staff stay as wonderful and friendly. We will definitely be back someday! Great job U ZenMaya Team!

Room Tip: Choose the sea view deluxe room!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Iyliee
Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Don't get me wrong it is a beautiful hotel, the rooms are large and the beds are really comfy. Everywhere is spotless and kept at a high standard.
My only complaints would be I felt misled when booking this hotel as is said all deluxe rooms come with a Jacuzzi and the photo is of a balcony jacuzzi. When arriving at the hotel we discovered that it is actually a jacuzzi bath tub in the bathroom.
I did enquire about the outdoor one and was told there are only 2 and they are fully booked.
Other grumbles would be the wifi is rubbish and very infrequent.
The drink prices are unreasonable. In a 7/11 a litre of coke is 57bart at the hotel a can is 100bart (£2)
I would not recommend changing up money at the hotel as the exchange rate is really poor.
Finally the staff are helpful and friendly although it appears they have been trained to do/say thing in a certain way which means there is not much sign of the magical Thai atmosphere you get everywhere else.
Overall a pleasant 2 days at this hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michelle N
GM U Zenmaya P, General Manager at U Zenmaya Phuket, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Michelle C,

Greetings from U Zenmaya Phuket.

I would like to begin by thanking your for taking the time to review your stay on Trip Advisor. As one of the newest U hotels I appreciate all feedback on this website as it allows me to address any issues experienced by our guests or clarify matters for any future visitors.

May I offer my genuine apologies that you stay was a little disappointing. As your complete satisfaction is U Zenmaya’s one and only aim I would like to address the points you raised.
If I may politely inform you that our website does clearly state that all rooms contain a Jacuzzi either on the balcony or in the room and the room description in each category clarifies this. I deeply regret that you felt you were “misled” in some way.

The issue regarding the wi-fi in some rooms is currently being attended to by my IT department.

I would also like to mention that the drink prices and exchange rate when changing money are fully commensurate with other hotels in Phuket.

Although your interaction with the staff was positive your comment regarding the way the staff present themselves has been well noted. As a U hotel our service mind is one of our greatest assets and I have spoken to my Training Manager about introducing classes in how we can enhance our guest’s true Thai experience.

May I end by saying that we hope to have the chance to be of service to you on your next visit to Phuket where you can witness the improvements we have made regarding your invaluable feedback.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamala
Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 321 in Patong
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,354 reviews

Been to U Zenmaya Phuket? Share your experiences!