“Very nice hotel, some pros and cons.....”

Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Kamala
Hong Kong, China
“Very nice hotel, some pros and cons.....”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My family and I spent Chinese New Year holidays at this hotel. We had two rooms at the 800 block, with beautiful views. We also had access to the Regency club/lounge, which was worth it. I am a Platinum member of Hyatt's program, so I know what to expect from a Hyatt hotel. As it is a new hotel, I thought I should do a more detailed review.

Pros about this hotel:
1. It is a new hotel, so the rooms are in excellent condition. Ours had a big balcony with a daybed.
2. Reception staff was very nice and check-in was fast. We had two golf cars to drive us and our luggage to our rooms within minutes.
3. Food is excellent. A lot of people talk about the fancier restaurant at the top of the hill - we preferred much rather the restaurant by the pool. The Thai food there was delicious - one of the best pad thais that we have ever had. Also try the fried tofu and the pineapple rice. At breakfast, the pain au chocolat is wonderful, and the lady by the counter there will warm the bread in the oven if you ask her.
4. The pool area is beautiful. I think it is one of the most beautiful and comfortable pool areas I have ever seen.
5. The beach across the hotel is beautiful but it has too many rocks - so while you can take wonderful pictures from the hotel, it is not a nice option for bathing. However, the hotel has a free shuttle to Kamala beach, which is a lovely beach (when you get to the beach, turn right and walk towards the Novotel area. Before you get there, you will come to an area where there are plenty of beach chairs and it is not as crowded).
6. A special thank you to Tristan (I believe he is the manager for food and beverage). Not only was he always ready to assist, but he went much beyond his duty to make our stay as pleasant as possible. He gave us excellent tips about where to go and what to do, and valuable recommendations about what not to do, allowing us to avoid tourist traps. I wish Hyatt had others like Tristan in as many hotels as possible.

Cons about this hotel:
1. The rooms are nicely decorated but the smell that came from the drain next to the toilet was really bad, made me feel like there was an open sewage in my room. We asked to have it fixed at the reception but the problem continued.
2. The gym was surprising poorly equipped.
3. The travel/tour agent at the hotel was absolutely useless. We had a very specific request and, instead of helping us with it, she kept trying to sell us a different program. When we insisted, she finally said that it was not available on the date we wanted. So why didn't she say so from the beginning instead of trying to sell us a very expensive tour that would not take us where we wanted??
4. The transportation desk at the entrance are rude and unhelpful. They are supposed to provide taxi and tuk tuk services, the latter cheaper than the former. When I asked for a tuk tuk, they tried to push us a taxi. When I asked them about the price, they tried to charge the same taxi fare for the tuk tuk ride (and I knew how much it would be because they had charged me a lower rate the previous day). I knew one is supposed to negotiate taxi and tuk tuk fares before taking them, but I never expected that I would have to do it at the hotel. Those guys need serious training to learn how to treat guests!!! (Tip: if you exit the hotel and cross the street, there is a taxi stop there - drivers are polite and cars are clean and safe, and they will charge much less than those guys at the hotel. We got the tip from one of the ladies at the reception who saw what the transportation guys were trying to do to us).
5. The staff at the restaurant is very nice but not enough to meet the large number of guests at peak hours. Also, they need to pay more attention to the cleanliness of the restaurant - some days we could not find a table that did not have a lot of food left on the floor under and around the table. I know it is not the staff's fault if the other guests don't know how to eat and behave like beasts, but they need to make sure that it is clean for the next guests.
6. Finally, fortunately we left the day after a large group of tourists from a certain country arrived (anyone who travels in Asia knows who I'm talking about...). I know all hotels have to cater for all kinds of guests, especially when they spend so much money. But they were loud in the rooms and hallways, banged doors and rang my room bell by mistake countless times, smoked in the restaurants, attacked the buffet as if it was their last meal and by the time they left the restaurant, it looked like a battleground.....

10 Thank ckatsuya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Yesterday my family and i checked into this new resort.
The check inn process was very slow, but at check inn we received an upgraded room with a tiny pool.

The rediculous thing about this resort is that no lifts exist.
We had to walk down approx 60 steps to the room with a tired 4 year old.
Reception agreed to move us to a normal smaller room with few steps.
The rooms at this resort are very plush terrific beds linen towels toiletries etc.

To my horor this must be the first Hyatt Regency in the world without CNN?

As we had booked a high category club room we received free club access.
The club lounge has a beautifull infinity pool and awesome views.
The service level In the club lounge is very poor as it seemed understaffed.

This evening we arrived at the lounge at 6pm and waited 2hours for a room service meal to be delivered.it seems some of the staff lack basic english and customer service skills.
The Duty manager seemded unconcerned about the poor service and did nothing for over an hour.
Finally the Swiss hotel manager arrived to receive our complaint.

When asked how long he would last at a Swiss 5 star hotel providing such levels of service he seemed taken aback.

This resort has tremendous potential but with the poor management team in place it will fail miserably.the large pool is one of the most beautifull in Phuket.

The buffet breakfast is of a high quality including coffee, however the selection is VERY limited not what should be expected from HYATT.
Plain cold chocolate milk seemed unavailable no variety of cheeses, limited fruit salads.

The location is nice and quiet while still being close to the action in Patong beach.
Once the service issues are resolved this will be one of the better hotels in Phuket

Room Tip: Higher rooms have amazing views.do not book a pool room if you are not prepared to walk down 60 stai...
3 Thank Ronnie S
Melbourne Australia
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Hard to see what is new about the property. It appears that they either rushed the job to finish this resort or, as a previous reviewer suggested, the Hyatt acquired ownership of an abandoned resort. Anyways, the chalking in our bathroom was poor and stained, particularly at the base of the toilet and in the shower. The air con had a thermostat but it never worked so the temp remained chilly. This meant we couldn't leave our windows open as the place would dew everywhere. Our private pool was dirty when we arrived, had little water and the spa didn't work. Wifi was also broken so these combined issues meant we hung around the room for an hour while it was being fixed. Not ideal when you have only 2 nights.

Some things you won't notice reading the website

1. The pool rooms do not get sun. Pointless upgrade if you ask me. I was expecting a sun drenched balcony that we could relax on away from the kids. Not the case.

2.the resort layout is weird and a maze to get to our room. It is incredibly hilly. Lifts would have been a smart move

3. The pool is huge. Why not allocate one end for the screaming, splashing kids (and phlegm spitting tourist).

4. The drinks prices are the most reasonable hotel prices I've ever seen in Thailand. Thankyou!

This place has so much potential but a few too many teething issues.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank berniebern
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Let me start out by saying I spend many nights a year in hotels in a variety of countries. Mostly of the 5 star grade. Although the photos would lend you to believe this hotel is on the beach, it is not. You will need to cross the road to a slim strip of sand that is a beach ONLY at high tide. Even then there are so many rocks that you would be at high risk to enter the water. Many will say this is an 8 month old hotel. It is not. Hyatt took over management of the property 8 months ago. Do not expect a brand new property. Not all rooms have unobstructed views of the sea as stated. Lower floor rooms will be blocked by palms. The views from some of the high floor rooms will be that of a construction site at a neighboring hotel. Also at low tide the sea floor is not exactly a beautiful scene. Rooms are quite plain with little decor and beds tend to be on the hard side. The splash pool in our room was not cleaned even once during our six day stay. Very many leaves and trash accumulated in the pool making it less than desirable to use. The toliet area of the bathroom smelled strongly of old urine. Quite unappealing. If you like to go to other places than Kamala beach ( a 15 minute walk to useable beach ) the Hyatt does not offer complimentary shuttles like many competing hotels in the area. Transportation at night from the hotel can be limited and a bit higher cost than in town. Breakfast was probably the poorest quality I have experienced at a 5 star hotel in years. Selection is very limited. A tasteless cheese like substance will be used for your eggs. I would also suggest the hotel provide something to abate mosquitos in the room. We were eaten alive by mosquitos every night. Walking up and down the hills from the rooms is not for everyone. There are golf carts to bring you up and down if you do not mind waiting. On the positive side I cannot say enough about the staff. I am a demanding customer and the hotel staff absolutely knockd themselves out to try and make my family happy. Service by the pool was prompt, friendly and accurate. We had a red eye flight and checked out the morning before and the hotel offered a room free of charge to allow us to shower prior to our flight. Very much appreciated!!! Pool side food was quite good and drinks were tasty. The pool is truly a highlight. It is quite large with plenty chairs available. Each and every traveller has different needs. If relaxing at the pool, no beach required, and never leaving the hotel is your kind of trip you should be happy here. Just not sure the cost of this hotel is justified.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Toddb62
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Our family (wife, 2 year old and 5 month old) recently completed a 3 night stay at this wonderful new property.
The hotels' rooms lie on a hill, so though having small children, this could present a challenge, the staff was always prompt with a buggy to bring you up the hill to your room and even bring you down if you needed it.
As a Hyatt Platinum member, we were upgraded to a room with a dip pool, which my 2 year old loved!
The breakfast at the Pool House was quite tasty, offering a good number of fresh squeezed juices and various other breakfast favorites.
The food at Sunset Grill, not to mention the views were simply spectacular!

The areas I would improve are slight:
- I think the team overall needs to learn the standard benefits its Hyatt members should receive.
- The service by the pool was spotty, as there was only one man running around trying to cater to everyone.
- On a few occasions, a few of the items we requested could not be prepared, because some of the key ingredients were not in stock (wrap for the breakfast burrito, and basil for the pizza)
- Better access to a better beach. I know Kamala beach is the only option right now, but its not really the type of beach you go with your young family.

Major kudos to the GM Keith and his team. Any slight request we had, they were willing and able and flexible. I sincerely believe this hotel will become a favorite amongst visitors to Phuket in the next few years.

I'd like to give it a 5 rating, but there is still so much unrealized potential. I am hoping it gets there.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with small children, you may want to stay further down, just gives you easier m...
2 Thank GlobalCitizenP
Auchterarder, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014

This is a lovely Hyatt property, newly opened with a great infinity pool area looking out to sea. A very relaxing, quiet resort, ideal for total escapism. The rooms are beautifully fitted with very comfortable beds, super linens and great outlook. Club lounge is just great with an amazing view from the top. Pool area is so comfortable with great beds and the very large pool ensures you don't have to go far to cool off. There is a super restaurant "Sunset Grill" right at the top with stunning views.
The staff are super, genuinely pleasant and eager to please with management evident and happy to manage any request. The rooms manager Ruben is very efficient, and even the small requests are delivered quickly. Anon, the chef at the Pool restaurant is delightful, and his food delicious. A short walk away is Kamala Beach, with as much or as little as you would wish for. The Nahm Spa is wonderful, and therapist Ae the best! So good, I've booked for the same time next year.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank iris m
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

I organised a conference for 100 people. All went very well. The staff was great always very helpful. I believe they did a great job for a hotel who just opened. I loved the dinner by the pool. Great atmosphere. The club rooms are very nice with beautiful view. The club lounge too is very relaxing.
I will come back with the family

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Paoloc0211
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamala
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 328 in Patong

Been to Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort? Share your experiences!