“Meh”

Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort
Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Kamala
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here the past few days for a combo conference and vacation.

Pros: felt newish, nice infinity pool, passable food, generally friendly staff, in Kamala, decent pick for a corporate event (vs. say Bangkok?)

Cons: felt half-staffed, especially poolside and the housekeeping was not up to snuff for a Hyatt, cart service up the hilly terrain was inconsistent at best, laundry almost ruined a rather expensive shirt, poor wifi, cocktails only ok

All in all, relaxing as a business trip goes but underwhelming from the vaca perspective. Below average for Hyatt.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,040)

Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed in February 2014 here for two nights.
Check-in was not very speedy probably because the staff at the front desk aren't very trained yet. We were driven uphill in an electric buggy up level 9 into a Ocean View Pool Room [Room #9005]. The view from these rooms is awesome but somewhat obstructed by roofs of hotel rooms on the lower levels. The pool in the room was quite decently sized but could have been cleaner, warmer and with more privacy from the adjacent pool room. The room was huge with a huge bathroom which had separate enclosures for WC and shower.

The Italian food at the Pool House restaurant was amazing, especially for us vegetarians. It was quite decently priced for this kind of hotel. A light lunch for two was about 800 THB.
By the evening, we realized that there was a problem with the toilet flushing. To compensate this we were upgraded to a Club Ocean View Room at level 13 [Room #1312]. The view from here was absolutely unobstructed and infinite.The view still resonates in front of our eyes!
It had probably the best view from the resort apart from the Regency Club, Sunset Grill restaurant and the Nahm Spa. The breakfast at the Club was a highlight with the small infinity pool, outdoor seating and fabulous views of the Andaman Sea.

On a special request, the Italian chef, Allesandro set up a special dinner for us at the Sunset Grill which was one of the best Italian food we have ever had. His presentation, choice of menu, courteousness and efficiency is worth a special mention.

The Spa experience was just amazing.

Some minor cons:
- there is no beach at the resort. if you walk across the road at the resort, it is a rocky and muddy stretch with no BEACH. Although the resort never claims itself to be a beach resort but it is worth a mention. However the Kamala beach is close by and reachable by a free shuttle service from the resort.
- the website does not give detailed information about the difference among the various types of rooms, specially the fact that the most expensive room may not have the best ocean view.

Go to hotel for the:
- best views of Andaman Sea
- amazing Italian food
- superb luxurious rooms

Room Tip: The higher the room, the better! Go for the Club Rooms - worth the extra money. We loved room #1312
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JayantChauhan
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Perfect place to relax to get away.Had a great room but the a/c was a noisy making it difficult to sleep at times.This might have been an isolated incident as the hotel just opened. The Regency club has a friendly staff and one day we had the pool all for ourselves. My wife enjoyed the spa while I enjoyed my drink and cigar (perfect).Oh advice to the guys.Take the one hour massage class with your wife or significant other and learn how to massage...

Room Tip: This is a new property with some growing pains that will disappear in time.Enjoy yourself I did!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mub1
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The property just opened in December so it seemed more like a 'soft open'. Service seemed a bit disorganized and not quite up to Hyatt Regency levels, but the staff is very friendly and they tried hard to accommodate any requests.

Pros: The rooms are beautiful and the views (gorgeous patio with double doors and a large couch), incredible - especially from the Regency Club (lounge) which has a great infinity pool with lounge chairs in the water to cool off. Wireless internet connectivity was good as was cell phone coverage, while this isn't usually a concern for a resort vacation, it was important for me.

Rooms on the first floor of each building have their own soaking pool. The hotel is situated near towns with a great selection of stores and restaurants a short ride or nice walk away.

Cons: The property is on a steep hill and you pretty much need to call and order a 'buggy' to get around. While you can walk, the roads between buildings are steep and not very well lit in the evenings. There is no business center where you can print anything, like a boarding pass. The staff, however, was very accommodating but I had to email what I wanted printed to them and it was printed and delivered to my room very quickly. I don't know if it's a frequent problem, but most of the island had a power failure for a few hours and the property only has generators to provide backup power to just the front desk area and door locks, not the rooms themselves or the restaurants.

The bathroom in the room is very nicely done with a large tub and rain shower. However, there was only a single power outlet that took some searching to find. Also, the drain in the shower doesn't, drain as fast as the shower head can put out water so if you're not watching you can flood the rest of the bathroom. Maybe that's a way of conserving water.

So, would I go back - yes, I think it's worth another try.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank At5920Feet
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Just returned from a long weekend at the Hyatt Regency. The property is brand new and so far in good condition. The pool is the highlight of the property. It is very large and very kid friendly. Traveled with a toddler and she loved the large shallow area that she was able to play in easily (only about 6 inches deep) and it was easy for me to relax knowing that she could play safely and comfortably. The pool towels and chairs are in excellent condition with ample seating (so no need to have to get to the pool early and fight for a spot). I do wish they did a better job servicing the pool area with more waiters and pool boys to help with needs (i.e. more towels, offer drinks from the bar, adjust umbrellas, etc..). One small negative is that I'm not a huge sun worshiper and it's pretty hard to escape the sun in the pool area unless you just stay in your seat under your umbrella (which is stationary and doesn't move). I wish the pool had a shaded area for those who don't want to be directly in the sun.
As many others have commented, the pool side cafe is excellent. Fantastic drinks and amazing thai food - -some of the best I have had in all my years going to Thailand. Additionally was very well priced. The morning breakfast was fine. The quality was good - - but just felt a little boring and not worth the $25USD price per person. However, the waitresses were really sweet and helpful which made the experience even better.
The rooms were very nice - and like the rest of the hotel - brand new. Comfortable bed and pillows. Like others said, the property is a bit difficult to navigate since it's all along a hillside but I thought the hotel staff did an excellent job transporting guests via golf club.
We did make use of the kid's club and my daughter enjoyed it. Perfect way to get out of the mid-day heat.
Overall the hotel is nice and I'm curious to how it will hold up over the years. The hotel management was very helpful (thank you Eric and Yanathan) however the others seemed a little inexperienced/new (which makes sense since the hotel is months old). But the inexperience staff made up for it with their sweet and helpful attitude.
I would say there is one thing that got me really upset was the taxi situation with the concierge. They seem to use their preferred taxies (i..e their friends) and are happy to rip you off. I was quoted and charged 400 bht to a villa up the hill about 3 minutes away from the hotel (where my friends were staying). To put this in perspective, taxis across the street charge 400 bht to go to patong which is 30 minutes away. Learned my lesson after being ripped off once and just used the taxi drivers directly across the street which charged me only 150bht for that same trip to my friends villa. The concierge again offered to book a taxi to the airport for 1200 bht - - - but the guys across the street drove us for 700 bht. So stay away from the concierge - she will shamelessly rip you off. I would encourage management to do something about this as it really dampened an otherwise very nice stay.
Despite the taxi incident, the property was nice and it was good value. The pool alone makes it a great spot for kids.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view. If you want to be closer to the pool and lobby be sure to request with the f...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank AmericaninHK
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My family and I spent Chinese New Year holidays at this hotel. We had two rooms at the 800 block, with beautiful views. We also had access to the Regency club/lounge, which was worth it. I am a Platinum member of Hyatt's program, so I know what to expect from a Hyatt hotel. As it is a new hotel, I thought I should do a more detailed review.

Pros about this hotel:
1. It is a new hotel, so the rooms are in excellent condition. Ours had a big balcony with a daybed.
2. Reception staff was very nice and check-in was fast. We had two golf cars to drive us and our luggage to our rooms within minutes.
3. Food is excellent. A lot of people talk about the fancier restaurant at the top of the hill - we preferred much rather the restaurant by the pool. The Thai food there was delicious - one of the best pad thais that we have ever had. Also try the fried tofu and the pineapple rice. At breakfast, the pain au chocolat is wonderful, and the lady by the counter there will warm the bread in the oven if you ask her.
4. The pool area is beautiful. I think it is one of the most beautiful and comfortable pool areas I have ever seen.
5. The beach across the hotel is beautiful but it has too many rocks - so while you can take wonderful pictures from the hotel, it is not a nice option for bathing. However, the hotel has a free shuttle to Kamala beach, which is a lovely beach (when you get to the beach, turn right and walk towards the Novotel area. Before you get there, you will come to an area where there are plenty of beach chairs and it is not as crowded).
6. A special thank you to Tristan (I believe he is the manager for food and beverage). Not only was he always ready to assist, but he went much beyond his duty to make our stay as pleasant as possible. He gave us excellent tips about where to go and what to do, and valuable recommendations about what not to do, allowing us to avoid tourist traps. I wish Hyatt had others like Tristan in as many hotels as possible.

Cons about this hotel:
1. The rooms are nicely decorated but the smell that came from the drain next to the toilet was really bad, made me feel like there was an open sewage in my room. We asked to have it fixed at the reception but the problem continued.
2. The gym was surprising poorly equipped.
3. The travel/tour agent at the hotel was absolutely useless. We had a very specific request and, instead of helping us with it, she kept trying to sell us a different program. When we insisted, she finally said that it was not available on the date we wanted. So why didn't she say so from the beginning instead of trying to sell us a very expensive tour that would not take us where we wanted??
4. The transportation desk at the entrance are rude and unhelpful. They are supposed to provide taxi and tuk tuk services, the latter cheaper than the former. When I asked for a tuk tuk, they tried to push us a taxi. When I asked them about the price, they tried to charge the same taxi fare for the tuk tuk ride (and I knew how much it would be because they had charged me a lower rate the previous day). I knew one is supposed to negotiate taxi and tuk tuk fares before taking them, but I never expected that I would have to do it at the hotel. Those guys need serious training to learn how to treat guests!!! (Tip: if you exit the hotel and cross the street, there is a taxi stop there - drivers are polite and cars are clean and safe, and they will charge much less than those guys at the hotel. We got the tip from one of the ladies at the reception who saw what the transportation guys were trying to do to us).
5. The staff at the restaurant is very nice but not enough to meet the large number of guests at peak hours. Also, they need to pay more attention to the cleanliness of the restaurant - some days we could not find a table that did not have a lot of food left on the floor under and around the table. I know it is not the staff's fault if the other guests don't know how to eat and behave like beasts, but they need to make sure that it is clean for the next guests.
6. Finally, fortunately we left the day after a large group of tourists from a certain country arrived (anyone who travels in Asia knows who I'm talking about...). I know all hotels have to cater for all kinds of guests, especially when they spend so much money. But they were loud in the rooms and hallways, banged doors and rang my room bell by mistake countless times, smoked in the restaurants, attacked the buffet as if it was their last meal and by the time they left the restaurant, it looked like a battleground.....

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank ckatsuya
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Yesterday my family and i checked into this new resort.
The check inn process was very slow, but at check inn we received an upgraded room with a tiny pool.

The rediculous thing about this resort is that no lifts exist.
We had to walk down approx 60 steps to the room with a tired 4 year old.
Reception agreed to move us to a normal smaller room with few steps.
The rooms at this resort are very plush terrific beds linen towels toiletries etc.

To my horor this must be the first Hyatt Regency in the world without CNN?

As we had booked a high category club room we received free club access.
The club lounge has a beautifull infinity pool and awesome views.
The service level In the club lounge is very poor as it seemed understaffed.

This evening we arrived at the lounge at 6pm and waited 2hours for a room service meal to be delivered.it seems some of the staff lack basic english and customer service skills.
The Duty manager seemded unconcerned about the poor service and did nothing for over an hour.
Finally the Swiss hotel manager arrived to receive our complaint.

When asked how long he would last at a Swiss 5 star hotel providing such levels of service he seemed taken aback.

This resort has tremendous potential but with the poor management team in place it will fail miserably.the large pool is one of the most beautifull in Phuket.

The buffet breakfast is of a high quality including coffee, however the selection is VERY limited not what should be expected from HYATT.
Plain cold chocolate milk seemed unavailable no variety of cheeses, limited fruit salads.

The location is nice and quiet while still being close to the action in Patong beach.
Once the service issues are resolved this will be one of the better hotels in Phuket

Room Tip: Higher rooms have amazing views.do not book a pool room if you are not prepared to walk down 60 stai...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Ronnie S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamala
Ayara Kamala Resort & Spa
Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 331 in Patong

Been to Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort? Share your experiences!