“Club lounge ????”

Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort
Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Kamala
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

We arrived with a room with access to club lounge???? Let me start by saying everything about this resort is great!!! Except 2 things 1 the mafia style taxi rank outside the resort is very intimidating (general manager needs to address this with them drivers)
2 club lounge ??? Has very good staff perfect setting even a pool area!! BUT children aloud to play and scream in wet bathing clothes is not acceptable!!! Difficult to find seats or enjoy the premium facility with many children running riot!!! (Again GM sort this out as i believe it will put people off utilising your premium rooms)

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Paul v

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My family and I travel to Phuket a few times a year for some much needed R&R. This was our first stay at the Hyatt in Kamala and we were more than impressed. Leading up to our little break I had read some of the negative comments on tripadivsor and was a little concerned that we'd made a mistake to stay here. However, after five wonderful nights I can say that this is the perfect escape and we have left the Hyatt with only positive feelings. Every touchpoint exceeded our expectations, from the food (we mostly ate at the pool), spacious rooms, extremely friendly and competent staff, spa and other facilities like the gym and the kids club. There's always going to be something to complain about but we were more than satisfied with our experience and had yet another relaxing and luxurious break in Thailand.

The location was nice and quiet but still accessible to Kamala Beach and the rest of Phuket if that's what you really want. We don't come to Phuket to visit Patong Beach (don't know why anyone would) or the other crowded tourist spots, we go there to unwind, relax, eat great food and soak up the beautiful thai culture. The Hyatt ticked all these boxes.

We have two small children so the 2 bedroom was the perfect option for us, plenty of space and still those amazing views. Spent most of the day at what has to be one of the biggest pools in Asia, plenty of deck chairs (which we often find the most frustrating part of resorts in Thailand) and attentive staff to check on our refreshment and food needs. We had the odd rest from the heat of the day either chilling on our balcony, massage or kids club but we'd always end up back at the pool, which is hard to beat. We had access to the club room which also has a lovely little pool and once again, those amazing views. A good location for evening drinks and to watch the sunset.

The only time we left the resort was to quickly check out Kamala Beach and catch up with friends at Laguna. Used the hotel cars but was plenty of taxi options, you need to negotiate though as taxis can be expensive on Phuket. We had lunch a couple of times at the local Thai restaurants on the beach (and a couple of beers/ice creams) out the front the resort while the kids played on the sand...very idyllic, especially at high tide.

The food and drinks were good quality, with plenty of choice and comparable in price to any other 5 star resort. The breakfast offer was not as big as some other resorts but enough choice and variety even for a 5 day stay, perhaps an opportunity to heat the food on the buffet a little warmer though.

My wife was very pleased with the facial she had at the spa. She also had a local massage on the beach out the front, which was good but always hard to go past a good hotel spa which is right at the top of the resort.

The staff were wonderful and very attentive. They were especially good with our kids and always super friendly. A special thank you to Ruben who was overly hospitable, always mingling with the guests and checking that we were all enjoying our stay.

We'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: It looks like all rooms have an amazing view but if you don't want to wait for a buggy and don...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Boonkampa
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Many hotels in Phuket charge high prices for wine but I wonder how they justify 545 THB for a glass of house white/ Sprite then add service and tax!!!! Brining it to 642 THB a glass. The private function food was quite limited to say the least, overlooked vegetables and very stodgy rice....strange thick soup, desserts in shot glasses with tablespoons to eat with, it's fun trying to get your spoon in, coffee arrives minus spoon minus milk, and minus sugar, I know the staff are pretty new and I understand this but to miss so many points was quite embarrassing even though everything is done with a smile, would I go back , yes will try in the restaurant as Hyatt are famous for their food, maybe just a bad night,

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Julian L
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I've not written a review for the longest time as most of the hotels have either met expectations (which is expected of that category) or just not worth my time. I felt compelled to write this review as I think there is a need to 'right the wrongs' that most reviewers have commented. We travel to Phuket 3-4times every year and we have stayed at some average hotels to some of the top private villas on the island.
I started getting worried after so many poor reviews appeared soon after I booked my stay with the Hyatt. It didn't help that it's the first time I'm traveling alone with my 4 yr old daughter. As my husband couldn't make it due to some late arrangements, we decided not to drive, which we usually do. I sent an email to the hotel enquiring abt airport transfers and the Rooms Mgr - Ruben Schrijver - quickly responded to my queries. I must agree that the airport transfer was really pricey but when I voiced my concers abt the poor reviews, he assured me the naysayers will be proven wrong.
On the day I arrived, he made an effort to meet us at the lobby and very kindly upgraded us to the Club room knowing I was traveling alone with my 4yr old girl. It was a real blessing as the kids' club (Camp Hyatt), the Club Lounge with its own infinity pool and the spa were all in the same cluster. Check in was quick, without much of a hassle and the rooms were big and beautiful. I do agree with some reviewers that the uphill climb is not really for walking but that's not peculiar in Phuket. In fact, most of the higher end resorts are all built on the gradients of the mountains/cliffs to capitalize on the beautiful views and to blend in with the environment. We have stayed in resorts in almost all the different beaches in Phuket and Kamala beach remains our fave. It is near enough to Patong and yet has it's own quiet charms. Those who commented that it's a boring stretch should really just pick a resort in Patong/Karon/Kata. Kamala beach is really not for you. It's a place to relax, chill and rest your souls.
My best compliments goes to the effort of Ruben, the staff at the Club Lounge as well as Camp Hyatt. I never fail to see Ruben making his rounds several times a day, checking and chatting with the guests to make sure everything is fine. Seriously, I have no complaints abt the breakfast although we stayed for 5 days. C'mon, how huge a spread do you expect breakfast to be, and how exotic should breakfasts be? I've stayed in many others (hotels/villas) where either the spread is so huge but you always end up eating the same old stuff, or so personalized that you only order your breakfast from a menu and they'll cook them for you. Nice touch but you probably won't order 10 items I suppose.. not to mention that in order to present a huge spread, more often than not, a lot of food goes uneaten and gets thrown away. The few ladies at the Club were excellent! By the 2nd day, they recognize you and even knew what my daughter drank the day before. It's not just me but I noticed that they mingled well with other guests as well, remembering their preferences. I'm not sure abt those Hyatt Diamond members who complained that no one acknowledged them but we sure didn't feel that way. Drinks and snacks were available throughout the day and the evening cocktail was nice and generous. It's almost a dinner rather than cocktails and canapés. The views, although not the best in Phuket, was still awesome.
The minders at the Kids' Club were good with the kids, especially Darunee. They have a good mix of activities throughout the day although I think the staff have to double up at the Spa as well. It was lucky that it's low season and there weren't too many kids.
The only things I felt were not up to expectations were the following :
- internet connection in the room was rather poor but was excellent at the Club and pool areas
- dipping pool in the room was really small and good enough for soaking, but with the pool at the Club Lounge and the gigantic main pool, you really dun need the one in the room
- a fan in the balcony will be good otherwise no one will sit out in the balcony in Phuket weather
- the standard of the Thai food in the menu were really not up to par and not consistent. My daughter had the same item for FOUR times but each time it tasted and was presented differently
All in all, it was a great stay, and almost all the staff I encountered, from the front office to the room service, were all fantastic! My best compliments goes to Ruben and the Club staff! I would really like to think those poor comments were a result of teething problems as most guests whom I chatted with at the Club shared the same sentiments.

Room Tip: Go for the Club rooms
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank joannepctay
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The check in staff were great, the staff at the function I attended were great, but then there was the breakfast. Why oh why didn't the Hyatt insist on maintaining someone with experience to oversee the breakfast buffet.
Let's say it doesn't deserve many stars for a breakfast. It's only 7.30 am and the sauce bottle is sitting there with a dribble (less than 10 mm remaining in the bottom) of course this wasn't a freshly topped up bottle this was one that no one had bothered to even wipe away the crust around the neck of the bottle. Then there was the breadbasket with rolls in it. Or rather the basket that the person ahead of me had just taken the last bread roll and I asked the lady behind the counter if she had any more. she disappeared out of sight and after three visits back from my table to the counter to see if the rolls were replenished.I finally gave up and decided it was obviously too difficult a task for her to accomplish.
At this point the friends I was sitting with phoned another resort and cut their Hyatt visit short and moved off to another resort. The other resort must have loved the Hyatt liveried van arriving and the guests decanting along with luggage to check into the better resort.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank AI5AASIA
Reviewed 18 May 2014

So I plan my trips well in advance and like to make sure everything goes off without a hitch. In doing so I was reading the mixed reviews of this resort and unfortunately some of them are from people posting month after their stay when there were many more issues.

I am a Hyatt Diamond and booked a DSU for my stay but after reading about the Regency suite I contacted the Rooms Manager Ruben and had him switch me to a Deluxe Room. I will discuss all the different rooms later.

The hotel is about 45 minutes from the airport and 5 minutes from Kamala Beach. Patong is about 20-30 minutes away. Car service can be arranged from the hotel or its very easy to get a Taxi at the airport. Just search for Phuket car transfer and many will come up. I got a ride for about 700 Baht. The hotel contracts with an outside company for higher end transfers but I really don't see it being worth the price.

On arrival the staff quickly greeted us. I did email the hotel before hand to let them know our arrival time. I would suggest that anyone with an early or late arrival do this. Yes you should be able to just show up but I found with other locations I stayed at (Singapore and Hong Kong) that they had Hyatt desks in the airport that made sure reception knew you were coming.
Check in was flawless, We were asked to sit in the lounge area and they brought us a cold towel and a purple flower tea. They quickly confirmed our information. At this time the Rooms manager came over and personally greeted us. I know the managers have a job to do and they cannot greet all the guests but this was a nice gesture. Most of the staff understood and spoke english. (On a side note we stayed at another hotel in Koh Samui and they have special training classes for their staff to teach them english)

We loaded into a buggy and up to our room. The room had a great view of the resort and the bay. We were in the 1100 building- Club Rooms. The room was spacious with a really nice patio outside with couch/bed. The bathroom had a huge shower and tub. The only area that was a little tight was the luggage area. Safe had plenty of room for my 14" laptop.

We headed up to the Club for the evening snacks and drinks. 530-730 every evening.
The club has an amazing view of the bay and we were blessed with amazing sunsets every night. There is a smaller salt water infinity pool there that we found to have a little cooler water.
They have a grill where they cook up different meats and veggies and inside there are different cold salads and deserts. Wine, Beer and alcohols. Overall they had some nice choices.

Breakfast also is in the club. The eggs are also cooked on the grill and there is an assortment of breads, pastries and other items. I thought they did a good job with this. An suggestions were implemented by the next morning.

The main pool is also salt water. Due to the color it holds the heat in a little more. If there was rain the night before it was refreshing, if not it could get a little warm. Then again I think the water in the bays got just as warm some days. The pool area has nice chairs and cabanas. One thing they could add is tables on the beds to eat or keep your drinks. And around the pool there is a great ledge that could have pool chairs in the water with umbrellas and tables.
There was one or two people on staff around the pool. The hotel was empty and I think they could have people there to help you set up your towel bring a cold drink. Im not sure of the cost for each employee but I think the general Hyatt crowd wants a certain level of service and this could easily be a place where a few extra people could make a difference.

The pool house restaurant - They have food there all day long. We ate dinner there the first night and had a really good meal. We were the only people there and we came in before closing but the food came quickly. The shrimp spring rolls are really good.
The bar is also right here and makes some really good drinks.

Kamala beach is only a few minutes away. I was reading that they will be getting their own area on the beach soon and that will be nice. The Tuk Tuk to the beach needs to run a little more often as the location is a bit out of the way and the taxi mafia across the street is a pain to deal with. They want 1000 baht to the airport when it should be about 700. Negotiate a little. To Patong it was 700 but coming back only 400.

I talked with the manager about the rooms. The current suite is one large bedroom with a really nice patio overlooking the bay. It has great views, attached to a large bathroom and then another bedroom. This would be good if you have small kids or if your a couple and want a large dressing room and place for your luggage. They are working on changing the name to a family suite. Also in the future they will be moving the spa to lower rooms and making these rooms true Hyatt Suites. The only problem with where the new suites will be is the steps.

Many people mentioned the hill and its not walkable. Well I walked down many times. Walking up is a bit tougher but can be done. Its wide enough for 2 buggys(golf carts) to drive past each other, unlike other had mentioned its a regular road just very steep in spots. We never waited too long for one when we called. The resort really was not full and I think they will need to also make sure they have this worked out in the future to keep buggys staged and ready for guests.

I checked out the standard room- nicely furnished, good size bath its a smaller room.
The terrace rooms are above the regency suites and have a large terrace with Cabana/bed chairs tables and lounge chairs and amazing views.
The pool suits are on the lowest floor of each building and some do have views but they could also be blocked by buildings in front.

Overall we found the staff the management and the resort to be really nice. I would say to anyone that does go and has an issue to ask for a manager when it happens. They can only fix things if they know about it and they are more than willing to help and really are striving to make the resort a top hyatt property. You do have to realize your in Thailand and a bit away from things. You in a dense forest/jungle in a tropical climate.

Room Tip: Club Rooms are higher up in the resort. Deluxe are top floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JCRealtor
Reviewed 16 May 2014

My wife is pregnant, this was a perfect holiday for us strongly recommend for couples, families with young children and the traveller who wants to relax in style. Check-in was seamless and Club Room was spacious, especially the bathroom. Suggestion would be DVD player or box office movies available 24/7. Service was excellent, special thank you to all the staff especially Ruben, Chrisian & Alessandro who's customer service was excellent and ensured our stay was remarkable. Highlight was the Regency Club with its own 25m infinity pool (there is a main pool which massive). We had buffet breakfast included in our booking, the food was excellent and the menu had plenty of options at lunch time. We had dinner at the Club most nights very good selection and had dinner at Sunset Grill on our final night. The view was amazing and the food was world class. Buggy service to our room was great we would ring up 2 mins before wanting to leave and we never waited more then 30 seconds. It was great value for money due to Regency Club we will be coming back to test out the kids club.

Room Tip: We always stay in a club room or higher to access the Regency Club, for this resort it's excelle...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank janeandtristo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamala
Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach
Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 331 in Patong

Been to Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort? Share your experiences!