“Be aware! Hyatt should step in!”

Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Kamala
Bloemendaal, The Netherlands
“Be aware! Hyatt should step in!”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The resort has been overhauled and expanded and hotel itself is not bad. The rooms are pretty nice, usually with good view, the club is very nicely located at a higher point on the hill and has a great infinity pool with a stunning view. The main pool is extremely large but water so hot it does not cool you down. The bar at the pool is nice too and so is the main restaurant. But then........
We spend some 10 days last april/may and i will never return.
It all started with a roof of one of our rooms collapsing due to burst water pipe overhead and debris falling on the bed where our kids just left, imagine what would have happened if 30 min earlier.
The whole room was flooded. The ceiling parts were placed in front of the door and were left there for days until we complained. Same happend with the roomservice which was placed outside, took them 3 days to take it away and meanwhile the aunts had a fest! We were then offered a compensation dinner in the grill room and suffered food poisoning. In our party of 8, 7 turned sick and some for more then a week, it was terrible. We also addressed to management our concern food was not covered well and little animals/flies were all over it. Anybody ever followed a course of food hygiene?

Food in general was never served at the same time, each and every time it came 1-2 plates and rest had to wait. Service was slow (although food in general was good and tasty.) Wifi was not working for days in our room and an extra router had to be placed but also restarted every day.....which we could not do ourselves. Besides this it was sooooo slow.
There is virtually no airco in the hotel other then in rooms so if you want to cool down, forget it. And Phuket turns very hot in late april

Worse is that the pictures of the hotel make you feel its beautifully located...yes dream on. There is a road in between the pool and 'beach' and during our visit lots of lorry's with building stuff as well as contruction people would pass by at eye height. Cars got stuck and these trucks plus the water carrying trucks all diesel smelling would be jammed in front of the hotel. Nice holiday feeling....

The beach is virtually non existence as its rocks and you can not enter the sea.

I can go on and on and clearly management is not doing a good job although people try hard.

My advice, sad to say,forget it and it really made our holidays miserable so we left a bit earlier.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms higher up on the hill.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Roger S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Such a lovely and upscale hotel that we have treasured a relaxing and lovely honeymoon period.
Smiley and attentive staffs were around with us, special credit to staff namely "EID" who has addressed to us effectively with much caring that he will be remembered always. Appealing nice lobby, privacy resort built on sloping gradient with tidy and clean housekeeping manner, excellent choice of breakfast and greatness of canepes and onsite BBQ for cocktails. If you are coming to Kamala (Phuket) for resort stay, Hyatt Regency would be your priority of choice and you will never be regret!

1 Thank CWen2014
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I have traveled to Phuket regularly over the last three decades; like some other reviewers I have stayed in some very basic hotels, private villas and many 5-star resorts. I wasn't even aware that the Hyatt had opened a resort in Phuket end 2013, but the experience of my first stay in March was so stellar that I have since been back for fabulous short breaks twice more (my husband/I live in Kuala Lumpur). There are a few teething pains as with any new hotel/soft opening period (and the fact that the Hyatt had/has to contend with renovating an older property as well as building new components of the resort to Hyatt standards), but it's such a lovely, expansive and upscale hotel, it can easily compete with higher costing 5-stars on the island.

In terms of location, I had never stayed in Kamala before and I found the resort so relaxing and pampering that I didn't even have the urge to visit the beach or venture out to outside restaurants, so beach access and trips to other areas (such as Patong) not an issue for me; taxis are readily available across the street and although not necessarily cheap to leave the area, it's competitive with any taxis on the island (but note that there is a taxi cartel on this beach so it's actually not a Hyatt Hotel issue that is easily resolved....and the Hyatt staff excellent about assisting in procuring a taxi for you if you prefer not doing so directly....).

I used the hotel transportation to/from the airport and was able to negotiate a special rate to also take me to some meetings,so in the scheme of transport in Phuket, having a hotel car/driver is really good value, and it also is just safer as you know you will not be scammed, or asked to go to a tourist trap on the side, etc. etc.

From the moment I arrived at the resort, I was quite floored away by what a beautiful property it is. Not all Hyatt Regency's are to this high standard and it reminded me more of a Grand or certain Park Hyatt resorts. What I noticed immediately is that it's a huge property, and even as the hotel's occupancy increases over time, and during high season, there are so many nooks and sofas (indoor/outdoor) and lounge areas, that I think one will always be able to find a place to feel private/cozy/intimate. The lobby itself is quite large with loads of sofas and seating areas. There is plenty of staff always around in the lobby to make sure each guest is attended to efficiently and professionally (and with a genuine smile/concern).

From the lobby, you can look out to the pool area and pool bar/restaurant. Wow. This is by far one of the largest hotel infinity pools I've ever seen (and when I was later doing laps...it took quite an effort to get across the pool...it's longer than an Olympic-sized pool). Again, a significant number of sun loungers (and sunken sun loungers/cabanas over the water on one edge of the pool--very romantic and comfortable for relaxing/napping/dipping one's feet into the pool while having lunch/snacks) so that it appears over-crowding won't ever be a problem.

As mentioned by other reviewers, the resort is built on a sloping gradient, which I think is both very appealing and it also helps spread out the rooms so there is a feeling of less crowding and more silence/privacy. It's so easy to catch a golf buggy to take you to your room (or the staff will call one from the lobby, or you call from the room/restaurant--they are only a few minutes away even when raining) that I'm amazed people complain about this as a downside to a resort. It's Phuket people!! I prefer the highest room level possible so one can get the most stunning view of the Andaman sea from the room balcony. And it's easy enough to reserve a room lower down or close to the pool if that is your preference; plus, it's really good exercise walking up/down the hill (which many guests were doing...and there was certainly no shortage of staff going by constantly in the buggies asking if I'd like a lift wherever...).

I have now stayed in three different styles of rooms (I believe there are about 11 different choices). The first was a Grand Club room in the center of the resort, the second was a chalet/terrace room with vast terrace and this last stay (early June), I stayed in a Grand Club Corner room. All three rooms were at the highest level possible in the hotel and the views from the balconies are just stunning. The interior of the rooms are modern with clean lines, dark wood floors and the decor very aesthetic, with subtle Thai touches and beautiful bathrooms.

The elegance of the rooms I stayed in reminded me of the quality of some Park Hyatts I've enjoyed over the years; very high standard of design/comfort and inviting to the eye.

The chalet/terrace rooms are a bit smaller than the other rooms with a more European feel. These rooms are more for a single or couple (not big enough for children), although the outdoor terrace is huge with a cabana to lounge in, two sun loungers and table/chairs. However, you do need to be a sun worshiper to stay in this style of room. The sun beats down from very early on and there is basically no shade, so if you burn easily you need to wait until sunset to sit outside or stay inside! The other rooms, and my favorite is the Grand Club Corner room on the highest level, have an outdoor covered balcony with very comfortable sofa to sit out in all day (the sun does hit the sofa at different times of the day of course, but in general I was able to spend hours outside on the balcony enjoying that stunning Andaman sea view). As one reviewer mentioned, a fan on the balcony is an excellent idea as a few times it became unbearably hot on the balcony (which was quickly solved by opening the room door and letting out a bit of a/c....not very eco-friendly but useful).

I had to be online throughout my stays and I was so pleased that the internet/wifi worked perfectly throughout the hotel, including my room, at the pool, in the restaurants, at the Club and even as I was checking emails on my iPhone while walking up/down the hill...

I had access to the Club and it's yet another stunning part of the resort. It has both an indoor and outdoor seating area, a private pool (with lounge chairs in the water) and the same vast Andaman sea view. The Club staff (as the staff throughout the hotel) is excellent. Attentive, professional, efficient and caring. I found the F&B to be one of the better Hyatt Clubs in the region. I had breakfast there daily and there is a choice of both Western/Asian cuisine which was ample, fresh and tasty. A choice of egg dishes by the resident chef was great (depending on weather, the chef cooks outside to order or the staff takes the order). Excellent choice of canapes at cocktail time and every night the chefs offer a different kind of BBQ/grilled canapes made onsite, along with vegetarian offerings as well. Self-serving drinks (and decent wines) perfect. The one issue is, undisciplined children running around, in and out of the pool splashing about, etc. It's a tough one to avoid though....how to balance quiet/sanctuary Club atmosphere with equal-paying guests with children? I managed to find tables outside at the farthest ends of the Club and as the night wears on, the number of children decreases, but it may well become an issue the hotel management has to find a way to deal with....especially as occupancy increases and during the high seasons. I am sure they will find a way to provide alternatives for non-child-friendly guests such as my husband and me (!); I think this is part of the teething process in the first year of any hotel when one has to discover what market segment to target and also what type of clientele books the most number of rooms...and then advertise the property in that manner...it is what it is....

At the same time, there are three other dining options at the hotel if not in the Club (which is really only meant for canapes and sunset cocktails....and I should add that the Club is very quiet during the day to have a cup of tea/read/emails, etc). I had dinner three times at the poolside restaurant, one at the Sunset Grill and twice I had room service out on my beautiful balcony. The room service was excellent which surprised me a bit as it's quite a distance from the kitchen to some of the higher rooms....(you can even have pizza delivery from the pool restaurant's wood oven...excellent pizza and piping hot delivered to the room!).
I had both Thai and Western food at the pool restaurant and it was great (not sure about other reviewers' dissatisfaction with the Thai food--I thought it was very fresh and brimming with Thai flavors. I dined at the Sunset Grill one evening and first went up to enjoy the sunset with an excellent glass of Pinot Noir and although the menu is small, the food preparation and taste was fantastic (and big portions--I could barely finish my main course).

I used the gym every day. The cardio machines are equipped with televisions and various internet apps, etc. It's currently a good small gym and I know they are expecting additional machines in the future. I did not use the spa. There is a Hyatt camp for children (too bad the hotel can't create an adult Club attached to the children's play area....!!).

Overall, this resort is going to be one of my new go-to escape destinations in S.E. Asia....it's pretty close to a perfect romantic get-away sanctuary with all the benefits of a 5-star resort (with perfect sea views), yet you can find extreme privacy as well, and at a very affordable price compared to the other branded resorts in the region.

Room Tip: high level Club rooms.
11 Thank Asiaexpat81
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Resort represents what you get in any Hyatt Regency in the world - however there could be more local touch to the resort. Due to the location, there is no accessible beach next to the hotel. The "private beach" was terrible and we decided not to spend time there but walk back to Kamala town.

Staff were very attentive and friendly. Restaurants were again nothing special; neither the Thai nor the International selection. We for sure expected more.

No shuttle bus to Patong provided - only way to get there is by taxi at THB 500. One evening we got a ride back with the shuttle bus of a neighbouring property - who are offering a free transport service.

If you are looking for a beach holiday, Kamala is not the best option!

3 Thank AndreasW1969
australia
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay but a few things to note
The Good
Staff very friendly and managers always around talking to guests
Most rooms have a lovely view
Great pool
Heaps of sun loungers and pool salas although it was low season
Good breakfast although pretty much the same every day
The Negatives
To get to most rooms you need a ride on a buggy as the resort is on a very steep hill
The resort is not on Kamala Beach but Kamala Cove you can't swim in front of the resort
Town is a 1.5km walk away
There is 1 restaurant beside the hotel the rest are a decent walk away
Everything else
There is a shuttle to take u to the swimming beach and town. But the last one is around 6 so you will need another way back if you venture out at night
At the time of writing all the taxi stand in the area have been dismantled so that option now doesn't exist
We were upgraded to a club room with an awesome view and deck with sala which also got us into the club room but as previous reviewers noted this is mostly over run with children and if you aren't there early you might miss out. We went once and were underwhelmed so gave it a miss.
This was once another resort so the rooms are old but have been redone by Hyatt but the clunky terrace doors remain.
Overall we got a very good deal on Agoda which included breakfast and we were upgraded so enjoyed the stay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kbuckle3
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The hotel resort is excellent. The pool is great, the staff are friendly, the rooms are comfortable. The only issue remains with the food and bev. The breakfast was okay, but slow at replenishing food. The pool bar was fine but there was a shortage of menus, and they ran out of Singha beers at 9.30 pm. The Hyatt club restaurant was hopeless: slow service, expensive and ran out of food by 8 pm. This was a shame, albeit the staff handled this very well.... It needs time, but I am likely to return!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank hongkongleeroy
Dornoch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

We arrived with a room with access to club lounge???? Let me start by saying everything about this resort is great!!! Except 2 things 1 the mafia style taxi rank outside the resort is very intimidating (general manager needs to address this with them drivers)
2 club lounge ??? Has very good staff perfect setting even a pool area!! BUT children aloud to play and scream in wet bathing clothes is not acceptable!!! Difficult to find seats or enjoy the premium facility with many children running riot!!! (Again GM sort this out as i believe it will put people off utilising your premium rooms)

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Paul v
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamala
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 322 in Patong
Cape Sienna Hotel & Villas

Been to Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort? Share your experiences!