“Just missed”

Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Kamala
“Just missed”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Somethings are great about this property other things need attention. Lets start with the great the pool area is amazing one of the best resort pools ever along with a terrific array of restuarants and bars. Also their fine dining Sunset Grill is special, world class food but $800 for a bottle of Krug is stretching friendship. The 'Club' facilities are fabulous happy hour every night
5.30-7.30 and the infinity pool there is spectacular. The hotel has only been open six months and the staff try really hard and you have to be a little forgiving when they don't get it right all the time. The rooms I found to be average for a five star brand. Two bad design faults the beds are set above a platform which in our room 1216 was dangerous as it intruded out to near the balcont doors and is an accident waiting to happen luckily I only triped over it once ( they'll be hearing from my lawyers!). Generally the bathroom is large and functional EXCEPT the bath itself which is really poorly designed. Difficult to climb in and out of and no safety handles very easy to slip with no support this is a lawsuit waiting to happen. In Phuket even the one star hotels have 80 TV channels this property has only 20 which is just not good enough for the rates charged. The property has been built on the side of the hill which means if you need to move from your room to anywhere on the property you need to phone reception for a golf cart to collect you which is not everyones cup of tea. Overall they have work to do to upskill the staff and improve the design of the rooms there is a lot of choices in Phuket at the top end and at this stage the Hyatt Regency just misses

Room Tip: we stayed in the low season so the property was only 40% full I would say choose a room that include...
1 Thank Aiden B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Room is well comfort with nice view and excellent room amenities. Club lounge is the best. Nice food and nice view. The terrible thing which is unacceptable for Hyatt standard is Housekeeper. I stayed in Club deluxe room with pool. When house keeper clean my room. She did not clean my pool. When I came back to my room. My pool still have leaf and insect float in my pool same as in the morning. The bathroom amenities have not filled with full set. Only bodywash and shampoo had been filled but bodylotion had not. Hairdryer still be as before. A lot of bathroom amenities had not been filled. Some had been located in wrong place. In turndown service, housekeeper had not changed my used pool towel. She just put it on my bathtub.

The breakfast quality is good but chef is not good. Breakfast start from sometimes to 11:00am. I arrived at 9:30am and all hot plate food are empty. There are a lot of people at restaurant at that time. Every 15 minutes I walked to food station to see, if food are filled or not. Nothing happen!! I sure that Chef saw that no food left for many menu but they don't care. What made me shock is at 10:45am, I walk to the food station and I found a lot of food just be filled with only 15 minutes left for breakfast buffet time!! But there are only a few table left in restaurant. Chef filled food when most people left restaurant for what!!!

I am not sure that there is a sound proof in guest room or not. But when the room next to my room close door I hear it very sound and clear and also I feel some vibrate. Anyway it is just the minor thing which I do not care if housekeeper did not come to clean that room too early. On Sunday housekeeper came to clean the room close to my room around 8:30 to 9:00am. They slam the door in and out many times and that sound disturbed my sleep a lot. So I have to wake up early before my plan. I am not sure the housekeeper aware of this problem or not.

I submitted the feedback above to customer service at Hyatt Regency Phuket. Ruben replied my e-mail and he asked for my cell phone number and want to talk to discuss about my feedback but when I gave him my phone number. He have never called me and keep quiet for 2 days and replied my e-mail that he will discuss this problem internally. With Hyatt standard the service should be the best. I am very disappointed for the customer service after my stay.

With failing to provide the best service, they cannot be the competitive hotel and resort in Phuket.

1 Thank Vechasak
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We Love to stay@hotel , Nice View of terrace , Standard outdoor swimming Pool , 24hrs Fitness Center , Delicious Pool Breakfast ,All staff were all very kind and smiling all the time. compare to the hotel i stay before ,Hyatt Phuket Resort is more convenience and easy to go to ever beach and night market. once again thank you for all staff helping and we'll kept there smiling in my memory of Phuket Trip.

3 Thank simonliem
Birmingham
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Absolutely amazing hotel! The staff here are wonderful and so helpful! The rooms spectacular views of the ocean and air conditioning can be like walking into a fridge which is so nice after dealing with the heat of Phuket all day!! Food and drinks are delicious and at great value only 100 baht for a bottled beer! And 200 baht for sandwhiches which present themselves at the highest quality!! One of our main highlights was the service of Isram who works at the pool bar! He was wonderfully attentive and joked and laffed every day!! This hotel is perfect for anyone looking to sight see and relax!! Thank you for everything Hyatt we will be back :-)

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Hargreaves88
singapore
Reviewed 18 June 2014

After reading quite a few bad reviews about this hotel we set some low expectations of this hotel but from the minute we arrived we couldn't have been more wrong. We were warmly welcomed by the GM who even escorted us to the club as the room wasn't ready. After some refreshments in the Regency club we were taken up to our room. We stayed in a 2 bed suite which was just superb, & perfect for families with kids. All staff were always very attentive, although the hotel was very quiet during our stay as its the low season. At times we did have to wait for a buggy to ferry us about as hills are extremely steep for walking, but it was never more than 10 minutes waiting time.
I can understand why a lot of people moaned about the hills, its not an exaggeration...they are very STEEP. But once you can get over this its a great hotel.

Expect to pay about THB700-$800 airport transfer by airport taxi unless you want to pay THB2000 the hotel charges. We used the hotel shuttle bus to take us into Kamala a few times for dinner, it runs every hour and is free. However it only runs until 6pm, then you would have to brave the local taxis to bring you back, expect to pay THB200 for a 5 min drive, its robbery!!

Breakfast was fantastic, everything is fresh & delicious in my opinion. The hotel only has 2 restaurants, western food was better than Thai food. The pizza was very good.

A highlight of my stay was when I asked one of the Club staff for the recipe of their chocolate cookies that was served & she not only got me the recipe but also arranged a hands-on baking demonstration with the chef. So there I was baking a whole bunch of cookies with the chef who was just so lovely, even head chef Allesandro dropped by to have a look. It was a wonderful experience, & totally unexpected. My cookies were neatly packed up for me as well to take home.
I would definitely visit this hotel again. The staff try very hard & although some don't speak good English you can get by, remember you're in a foreign country & get over it.
A special thanks to Yanathon who was very helpful, a great asset to this hotel.

Room Tip: 5012 two bedroom suite
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Kamloops
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I have been to Thailand several times but this was our first trip to Phuket. I work in the hotel industry (not for Hyatt) and I can say the staff here are fantastic! The people in Thailand are always super friendly, here they meet that standard and then exceed the norm because not only were they super friendly but also very competent, whenever we asked a question no matter who it was, the answer was right there.. Often it's my experience that the frontline staff at any hotel can't deal with anything slightly outside what they do ie clean the room or serve the drinks.. The staff here are top notch.

The food at the hotel restaurant was also fantastic, they have a really diverse menu and the quality was great... The best chicken satay I've ever had!! The food prices are reasonable too, no more expensive than the little restaurants out on kamala beach, but way better quality. We also had our anniversary dinner up at the fancy grill restaurant and were treated to a free glass of champagne and desert from the F&B manager.

We got a club room because there were 3 of us. The room itself was good. The view was great. The bed was a little hard for our taste but they fixed it with a foam topper after the first night.

Probably my only complaint is that because we were located right next to the club house, our balcony wasn't used much because there are nine very noisy Air handlers right there beside so you could not really carry on a conversation out there over the noise.

Overall a great experience and we will definitely come back again.

Room Tip: Get a club room, the regency club has a private pool, free snacks and soft drinks all day, BBQ every...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank pardysound
Bloemendaal, The Netherlands
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The resort has been overhauled and expanded and hotel itself is not bad. The rooms are pretty nice, usually with good view, the club is very nicely located at a higher point on the hill and has a great infinity pool with a stunning view. The main pool is extremely large but water so hot it does not cool you down. The bar at the pool is nice too and so is the main restaurant. But then........
We spend some 10 days last april/may and i will never return.
It all started with a roof of one of our rooms collapsing due to burst water pipe overhead and debris falling on the bed where our kids just left, imagine what would have happened if 30 min earlier.
The whole room was flooded. The ceiling parts were placed in front of the door and were left there for days until we complained. Same happend with the roomservice which was placed outside, took them 3 days to take it away and meanwhile the aunts had a fest! We were then offered a compensation dinner in the grill room and suffered food poisoning. In our party of 8, 7 turned sick and some for more then a week, it was terrible. We also addressed to management our concern food was not covered well and little animals/flies were all over it. Anybody ever followed a course of food hygiene?

Food in general was never served at the same time, each and every time it came 1-2 plates and rest had to wait. Service was slow (although food in general was good and tasty.) Wifi was not working for days in our room and an extra router had to be placed but also restarted every day.....which we could not do ourselves. Besides this it was sooooo slow.
There is virtually no airco in the hotel other then in rooms so if you want to cool down, forget it. And Phuket turns very hot in late april

Worse is that the pictures of the hotel make you feel its beautifully located...yes dream on. There is a road in between the pool and 'beach' and during our visit lots of lorry's with building stuff as well as contruction people would pass by at eye height. Cars got stuck and these trucks plus the water carrying trucks all diesel smelling would be jammed in front of the hotel. Nice holiday feeling....

The beach is virtually non existence as its rocks and you can not enter the sea.

I can go on and on and clearly management is not doing a good job although people try hard.

My advice, sad to say,forget it and it really made our holidays miserable so we left a bit earlier.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms higher up on the hill.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Roger S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamala
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 328 in Patong

Been to Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort? Share your experiences!