All reviewsthe pubsourced from local suppliersmeringueexcellent lunchsmoked fishsunday roastwell appointed and comfortablepork bellyrestaurant downstairspicturesque villagewarmest of welcomeshomely atmospherebodiam castleribeye steaklovely meala lovely staybeautiful building
Reviewed 24 May 2013

My Mum and I were stopping overnight in Robertsbridge after visiting Great Dixter and before visiting Sarah Raven's Perch Hill farm.
I phoned the George Inn to check on their kitchen opening times, 6.30pm and booked a table as advised. I am so pleased we did as we had a lovely meal and several tables were reserved.
The George Inn is conveniently situated on the village main street with ample parking.
The menu and specials board include local meats and we had Hawkshurst asparagus for starters with sausage and apple parcels for mains. Unfortunately we were too full for desserts!
Service was excellent and I can definately recommend the local Sussex Harvey's beer.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 April 2013

This was a great place to stay. We came to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary and couldn't have chosen better. The rooms were lovely, service was fantastic, very friendly atmosphere. Food was good quality and locally sourced. Decorated beautifully

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Went to The George a couple of nights ago and was impressed. Got a good feeling as soon as I walked in, a real pub atmosphere which was great.

We went for a meal, rather than a drink or to stay, and it was on recommendation from both here and by friends. The food was very good actually, well priced and the quality of the ingredients really shone through in the cooking. Bit surprised that the chicken didnt come with any sauce or jus to go qwith it, but it was so well cooked and such good quality that it really didn't need it.

Only slight grumble (not from the stomach) was that we waited longer than I expected for our main course to come out. Apart from that, service was excellent and extremely polite.

I do agree with one of the other reviews that said it had 'confused decor'...I totally agree. It's well painted, lovely old building with dark beams....but these very new, almost Ikea style tables and a random selection of modern chairs. Even the mantle on the chimney breast was new. Would have been so much better if it was more authentic with some genuine old wood tables and chairs. The ones in there were just a bit cheap.

Not a reason not to go back of course, it is well worth a visit and we will definitely come back.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night at the George Inn, and we would recommend this place to anyone and everyone . This accomodation is first class ,beautiful decor int the bedrooms with everything catered for your stay here.Cleaniless of the highest standard.The owners are lovely people who really make you feel so welcome from the moment you step in the door,nothing is too much trouble for them.The manger and the bar staff ladies and chef were great after 10mins talking to them it was like you had known them years,lovely people.The food is out of this world cooked to perfection using all their products locally. We will definitely go back ,we have travelled to lots of places over the years here and abroad and I have to say nothing has come up to this standard from the establishment to the people.Congratulations to you all and keep up the outstanding work that you are doing . See you soon.

Room Tip: Can't say as of it was so good ,the beds best night sleep had I ages and the linen so crisp and spotlessly clean ,even though above the bar we heard no noise at all,lovely room overlooking the village .... Just perfect......
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Teresa1900
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Following a boiler issue which meant we had to evacuate our home, we checked into The George Inn which was to be our temporary home for a few days.

A warm welcome awaited us in the form of Jane and John who manage to be the perfect hosts. We stayed in 'Pooke' which had picture postcard views across the village, looking even more idyllic in the snow. The room was immaculately presented, sumptuous and beautifully styled. We had dinner in the restaurant and the menu catered for my wheat free diet allowing me to have the fish and chips which I often crave! The fish was clearly very fresh and complimented perfectly by the homemade chips and a tasty salad. The breakfast with homemade museli, fresh fruit as well as English breakfast was top notch and elegantly presented. This place oozes quality on every level and is enhanced by the professional yet relaxed and friendly service. Thank you again for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family