I will make this review straight and to the point-
The hotel is located at the end of a dirt road. Some people will note this as being desolate, whereas others will note it as tranquil and away from the hustle and bustle. It's your decision. However when the sun goes down, it is dark with the exception of a few street lights dispersed along the road (becoming more dispersed as you travel up the road).
*PRO- the hotel is within walking distance to a little supermarket. There are some decent restaurants nearby (El Castillo, Maxwell's, Coconut Beach, The Shack) that are also within walking distance. At night, however, to get to Maxwell's (which isn't that far away) you may feel more comfortable taking a car.
Now believe me, these are pros because this con is a big one.
*CON- Dirty. The hotel restaurant is plain gross. Breakfast- included in your stay. They have a little buffet set up with flies consuming the food. I asked if I could get more of what was on the buffet table from the kitchen being that flies were all over, and I was told there wasn't anymore left in the kitchen. A bit surprising being that it was only an hour and half into breakfast. So after I mentioned the flies on the food the waitress took dinner napkins and placed them over the open food items. Gross! So now people coming to the restaurant thereafter will think, "Oh the food has been covered, great I'll eat this!" Meanwhile the flies had been walking all over it.
*PRO- You'll be super excited about getting home to sleep in your own bed. You will appreciate it more.
*CON- Filthy. This was the one area I listed as "poor" on the evaluation sheet. The rooms are disgusting. You know how you put a towel down on the floor to step out on when getting out of the shower? Well, upon picking this towel up which inadvertently swept the floor, the towel touching the floor was brown. Yuck! Needless to say if you are still gung ho about staying here, do yourself a favor and bring a pair of cheap flip flops to walk around in, shower in, and (I would recommend) sleep in. Another great point was that there was dust everywhere, on the mirror, lamp... wasn't appealing. I actually slept on top of the covers because I got a glimpse of the mattress and was convinced I could possibly contract something if I snuggled in under the sheets.
*PRO- Reception was the most friendly, accommodating, and helpful. They also spoke the best English.
*CON- Overall the entire rest of the staff does not go out of their way for you or to say hello to you. It is pleasant when staying at a resort to be greeted and acknowledged. Often times when passing a worker within the resort, he or she will just pass by you; kind of like you are walking in a rural Costa Rican street. The resort lacks that "welcome, great to have you" feel. I concluded that the staff employs rather young people. I would categorize them in their late teens to late twenties. Either that or they hire a cohort of people who age extremely well.
*CON- It turned into a kiddy pool. The waterfall becomes a diving board for the children, and I really didn't understand why no one said anything (including their parents) to the kids. For their own safety- the pool was shallow. Granted this aspect can change given the population of people that stay and the agility of the children.
-This did not play into the rating of the hotel, but here are some pointers: bring bug spray as it gets buggy whether you are on the beach or on the lawn sunbathing.
I must note, I brought the complaint up about the uncleanliness of the restaurant. I asked to speak directly with the manager, and I was told she would not be in until 10 or 10:30AM. At that point it was 8:30AM. I relayed to the reception that I would wait rather than state my concern and complaint to them. To my surprise the manager showed up while I was laying out in the sun about 10 minutes thereafter. She was very happy I relayed the information to her and told me she would alert/ speak with the wait staff. I didn't understand how the reception didn't know the manager was there. Odd- doesn't seem like great communication on their end to be almost 2 hours off of when your boss arrives.
Overall, I would opt to stay elsewhere. I think more effort and concern needs to be put into this resort. The potential could be there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bahia del Sol is located in Potrero Beach, a beautiful beach of warm tranquil waters on the Pacific Coast of Guanacaste. The Hotel offers the guests the quality of a 4 Star Beach Hotel with all the comforts, including Pool, Jacuzzi, and a Spa, framed in an impressive setting that includes tropical artistic gardens with centennial trees, a Tropical Garden with Native & Exotic plants , and an extensive beach front. The location is perfect for soaking in breathtaking views of the tranquil Potrero Bay, romantic long walks on the golden sands, basking in the rich sun and watching the spectacular sunsets of the Pacific Coast. With miles of uncrowded beaches, stunning coves and undiscovered inlets, Costa Rica's natural environment speaks to your soul. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Del Sol Beach Front Hotel Playa Potrero
- Bahia Del Sol Beach Front Hotel And Suites
- Bahia Del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel Costa Rica/Playa Potrero, Guanacaste