“a LAST resort”

Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Playa Potrero
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I will make this review straight and to the point-

LOCATION:
The hotel is located at the end of a dirt road. Some people will note this as being desolate, whereas others will note it as tranquil and away from the hustle and bustle. It's your decision. However when the sun goes down, it is dark with the exception of a few street lights dispersed along the road (becoming more dispersed as you travel up the road).

FOOD:
*PRO- the hotel is within walking distance to a little supermarket. There are some decent restaurants nearby (El Castillo, Maxwell's, Coconut Beach, The Shack) that are also within walking distance. At night, however, to get to Maxwell's (which isn't that far away) you may feel more comfortable taking a car.

Now believe me, these are pros because this con is a big one.

*CON- Dirty. The hotel restaurant is plain gross. Breakfast- included in your stay. They have a little buffet set up with flies consuming the food. I asked if I could get more of what was on the buffet table from the kitchen being that flies were all over, and I was told there wasn't anymore left in the kitchen. A bit surprising being that it was only an hour and half into breakfast. So after I mentioned the flies on the food the waitress took dinner napkins and placed them over the open food items. Gross! So now people coming to the restaurant thereafter will think, "Oh the food has been covered, great I'll eat this!" Meanwhile the flies had been walking all over it.

ROOMS
*PRO- You'll be super excited about getting home to sleep in your own bed. You will appreciate it more.

*CON- Filthy. This was the one area I listed as "poor" on the evaluation sheet. The rooms are disgusting. You know how you put a towel down on the floor to step out on when getting out of the shower? Well, upon picking this towel up which inadvertently swept the floor, the towel touching the floor was brown. Yuck! Needless to say if you are still gung ho about staying here, do yourself a favor and bring a pair of cheap flip flops to walk around in, shower in, and (I would recommend) sleep in. Another great point was that there was dust everywhere, on the mirror, lamp... wasn't appealing. I actually slept on top of the covers because I got a glimpse of the mattress and was convinced I could possibly contract something if I snuggled in under the sheets.

STAFF/ WORKERS
*PRO- Reception was the most friendly, accommodating, and helpful. They also spoke the best English.

*CON- Overall the entire rest of the staff does not go out of their way for you or to say hello to you. It is pleasant when staying at a resort to be greeted and acknowledged. Often times when passing a worker within the resort, he or she will just pass by you; kind of like you are walking in a rural Costa Rican street. The resort lacks that "welcome, great to have you" feel. I concluded that the staff employs rather young people. I would categorize them in their late teens to late twenties. Either that or they hire a cohort of people who age extremely well.

POOL
*CON- It turned into a kiddy pool. The waterfall becomes a diving board for the children, and I really didn't understand why no one said anything (including their parents) to the kids. For their own safety- the pool was shallow. Granted this aspect can change given the population of people that stay and the agility of the children.

BEACH
-This did not play into the rating of the hotel, but here are some pointers: bring bug spray as it gets buggy whether you are on the beach or on the lawn sunbathing.

I must note, I brought the complaint up about the uncleanliness of the restaurant. I asked to speak directly with the manager, and I was told she would not be in until 10 or 10:30AM. At that point it was 8:30AM. I relayed to the reception that I would wait rather than state my concern and complaint to them. To my surprise the manager showed up while I was laying out in the sun about 10 minutes thereafter. She was very happy I relayed the information to her and told me she would alert/ speak with the wait staff. I didn't understand how the reception didn't know the manager was there. Odd- doesn't seem like great communication on their end to be almost 2 hours off of when your boss arrives.

Overall, I would opt to stay elsewhere. I think more effort and concern needs to be put into this resort. The potential could be there.

Room Tip: Get a room in another hotel!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank salexi72
Vichug, Public Relations Manager at Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Dear Salexi72, we are sorry to hear this, but we have to refute most of these comments, us you can see most of the reviews said that we are an excellent resort, and to explain some of the things you said:
LOCATION:
the dirt road is part of the CostaRican experience, and the road is in good conditions you can get to the hotel even in a small car, and us a small boutique hotel we are located in a exclusive area, if you would like to have a lot of lighting you should look for a city hotel.
FOOD:
what you said about the breakfast and the bugs is totally out of place, us you are in the tropics, us us you now bugs are normal, and I have been even in a Four Season hotel and even there you’ll find bugs, if you check the rest of the reviews you’ll find that people love the food un our restaurant
ROOMS
About the beds, I don’t get your point us we have hotel regular mattresses
Also you said something about the towels, also we don’t get this us we laundry all of them daily. And just in case we put (complementary) sleepers in all the rooms just in case guest need them.

STAFF/ WORKERS
we are not going to accept a bad comment about the staff, special because us you can see in the rest of the review, one of the fact that people always mention is about the service they received from all of our staff.
POOL
if kind of unfair that you complain about the kids, especially because we are a family friendly hotel
BEACH
about the bugs you mention, once again you are in the tropics
Thank you for your feedback, we’ll considered some of them
Respectfully,
Bahia Del Sol Staff

Reviewed 6 April 2012

No wonder this place gets good reviews. There is something in the atmosphere of this hotel that helps you feel good. It is quiet, well maintained and service is great. We did not notice anything that was wrong, though it may depend on your expectations. However, you need to be well informed before coming to here and to Costa Rica in general.

CLIENTELE: Quiet. Mostly senior couples and some families with children. They prefer to spend most of the time outside of the hotel. Not a spot for young people on a spring break, looking for new mates or for active life within the hotel limits. Many residents were from Europe.

ROADS: It is true - roads are bad in Costa Rica and you would need to be ready for a couple of bumpy miles of dirt road before you get to the destination. And this is if you know how to get there or if you use a hire. If you plan on traveling on you own and may travel outside the airport-hotel route, renting an SUV is a good idea. Do not forget a GPS with a Costa Rican map. You can get the latter from your car rental for about $10 a day. IMPORTANT: when you set up your GPS, make sure you indicate Belen as your via point. Otherwise GPS may send you via Road 911 or otherwise known as Monkey Trail that would lead you through 7 miles of a real safari ride - may not be type of experience you would like when you are tired from a flight and it is dark or rains. Road to Monteverde are somewhat similar, but we did not find any way to avoid about 12 miles of ready bad road.

HOTEL: beach front, but none of the living quarters are facing the ocean. Territory is partly what looks like a tropical forest/garden, part is a lawn with a swimming pool. Nice open air restaurant has a view of the ocean. One swimming pool with a swim in bar and a whirlpool mounted above the pool. Hotel is well guarded at night, at the front gate and from the beach side. However, we saw police officers interviewing residents one time after their possessions were stolen. Rooms are spacious, ours had something that looks like a kitchen with a refrigerator and a sink, but it lacks other attributes of a kitchen, like stove, microwave and dining wares. You get few glasses, a bottle opener, a coffee maker and a couple of coffee cups. The beachfront lawn has several palapas, but you need to reserve them in the morning with towels (provided) or seat further from the ocean. Personnel is very friendly and eager to help not only with your needs at the hotel, but with any services outside. Sometimes music from the nearby bar may keep you awake late at night.

BEACH: it has dark sand and it is spacious, but most people prefer to stay on the grass. We were very unlucky to stay when red tide was there, so only few people could be seen swimming in the ocean. Water was very murky and snorkeling was a total disappointment, even after we rented a boat and went out a couple of miles in the Playa del Coco bay to the islands.

FOOD: hotel has its own restaurant that serves very decent food and drinks. Most dishes are around $15. You can have a continental breakfast buffet and order eggs or an omelet, but selections do not change from day to day and after some time you may get tired of choices. Alternatives are a few restaurants across the street, a club that has good live music on Sundays and Castello - a cheaper outdoor place that is more of a bar kind of setting. The good thing about Castello is that they will cook for you any time they are open, even when the kitchen appears to be closed and they serve only drinks. A block down the street is a small convenience store where you can buy groceries and alcohol. Wine in Costa Rica is mostly from South America and we found it too acidic to our taste - may be because they (in general) do not know how to store wine. Local beer, Imperial, loses to other brands as well.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms further away from the bar to get better sleep at night
4  Thank VadimFromArkansas
Vichug, Public Relations Manager at Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Dear Vadim, we think you review, is a little bit unfair, because you are pointing things that are not correct, for example:
About the Clientele, yes we are a family hotel, and you don’t find any information in our website that promise for example nightlife.
Roads: first of all the road to the hotel is totally paved, basically the only dirty part are the last 1,5miles, if you follow the directions we have at the website you won’t get lost.
Hotel: if you check our website you see that we said we are beach front which you saw is true, but we never said that we offer ocean view, then the hotel have 24 hours private guards. Then the room you had never said that have kitchen, if you would like a kitchen we have rooms that do have it.
Food: our restaurant offer the possibility to prepare special meals if guest requested and the place to you recommend is not exactly the nicest one

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Traveling with teenagers. We had a suite for a great price and loved the vibe, even though there weren't a lot of other kids that age. Pool with swim-up bar was great and the beach was gentle with brown sand and lovely views. We loved the breakfast bar.
Location was a bit far away - about a half hour from the nearest gas station. We got lost ALLLLL over Costa Rica - get a GPS with your rental car or go on trips with the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Dear SueNord, the location is why people love about our property, because they can rest, is good to know that you like it. Also we appreciate the title of your review.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

This hotel is a great place to relax and have fun too! A little oasis with plenty of beach to rest on. This hotel includes a beautiful outdoor shower and jacuzzi along with a large indoor shower/bathroom as well. Hammocks are also include outside of every room. Bahia del Sol also has wild life such as iguanas, wild birds, and much more. The rooms were very quaint with vaulted ceilings and comfortable beds. The hotel includes a nice pool with a swim up bar, hot tub, and baby pool. This hotel includes a nice restaurant and a delicious breakfast buffet. Comfortable loungers with pads and huts are scattered about the property. There are also many fun activities around the area and is in walking distance of many restaurants and other attractions. Whether you're hanging at the hotel, or around town, I highly recommend this hotel for couples and families.

Room Tip: Suites are not much more money though are much larger rooms for families, not that regular rooms are...
1  Thank Natalie Q

Dear Natalie, is good to know that you like the property and we appreciate your great comments.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

If you want to be AWAY from the over-built, over-developed areas and enjoy a relaxing beach vacation - this could be your place. It is about an hour from the Liberia airport, and the last couple of KM is on a gravel road - to a great beach.

We spent two nights and found the employees we dealt with great. No problems other reviews wrote about.

Only issue was the water pressure on the second floor ... after watching a gorgeous sunset it seems everyone heads to their rooms to clean up ... and the result apparent over-demand of water result in only a trickle of water in our showers.

Would have been a Excellent rating if not for the water pressure ... however, this is considering the type of it is -- this is NOT the Westin or a Riu property - if that's what you want, this is not your place. Looking to kick-back and relax, away from the crowds? Here you go!

Room Tip: Suite 311 had low water pressure.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Dear AntJackson, thank you for your review, is good to know that you enjoy you stay, about the water pressure basically the problem is that we are at the end of the summer, which means is been around 4 month with no rain, so this can affect a little bit the water pressure, so is not a common problem.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

What a great spot for a weekend wedding celebration! We were very happy with Bahia Del Sol for our destination wedding location. The property and rooms were beautiful, honestly I would say the pictures on their website do no justice! We had about 50 guests that arrived at different times and everyone was greeted with a welcome cocktail, the Mango Mint, which, was just delightful! The location of Bahia Del Sol was perfect, as you could have just relaxed on their property with no distraction or traveled to neighboring towns for a change of scenery. We organized group trips to Tamarindo and Flamingo. We were in CR for 3 weeks and I would say the food was the best at Bahia Del Sol and reasonable in price. The staff was excellent; they were very attentive and addressed us frequently by name which did not go unnoticed.

As for the wedding, I was not a hands off bride. I was very involved in the planning; Roxana and I exchanged numerous word documents filled with pictures and ideas. Overall, the wedding functions were beautiful. Some details did not match what was discussed but this was only apparent to the bride and groom! Roxana organized the DJ, officiant, flowers, Marimba band and the hair/makeup person. The DJ was great. We worked on the songs prior to arriving and was very accommodating to our requests! The officiant was one of the best I have heard, as he did not stumble once in his words and knew our ceremony very well. He was also a local, which will make our video that much better. We had 9 girls for hair, so the ladies they hired had a busy day. Everyone’s hair looked great. I was not 100% happy with my hair as the stylist was not able to duplicate what was done for the trial, however it still looked very nice. Victoria did do an AMAZING job with my makeup. I know there were many moments I was tearing up and you cannot tell one bit in the photos! The flowers were gorgeous, however, not exactly as discussed. They were suppose to use the similar flowers used for the bridal bouquet, bridesmaids and groomsman, just in different color proportions. The color didn’t all align but as long as all the flowers weren’t right next to one another it wasn’t as noticeable. The Marimba band also was a great local touch, however they were not playing when the bridal party was walking up the isle and then when we also left the ceremony location. I am not sure who is at fault for these mishaps but like I said, all and all it was wonderful! For destination weddings I guess one should expect some details to be lost.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a 2 bedroom suite ask for the "Monkey Room"!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Dear S2000, we send you our best wishes for you matrimony and thank you for chose Bahia Del Sol and writhing such a great review.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

We choose Bahia del Sol as our destination wedding location. We had gone on trip advisor and worked with a travel agent in order to find this location. Roxana is the wedding coordinator and she is the best! We wanted to rent out the whole resort from a Wednesday to Monday and Bahia blocked off all the rooms for us until November, so and we gave our guest until November to decide if they wanted to stay at Bahia or another location on this beach. We booked up most of the 28 rooms with our guests. We also chose this location because Bahia is basically the only resort on this beach and we did not want random people walking or swimming behind us in our wedding photos.
Upon arrival everyone was so great to us! Since we were the Bride and the Groom everyone on the staff knew our names and always addressed us. Our room was ready really early and very clean with a Costa Rican style. I would have to say that the rooms look exactly like the pictures on the website. We stayed in the King Suite that is advertised right on the beach. You can definitely see the beach while sitting out on your private deck, but there is a yard before the beach. I am not sure if that room was worth the price. Also we needed a lot of room to get ready the day of the wedding and the King Suite is smaller than the 2 bedrooms so if you are getting married I might go for the one or two bedroom suites because there is just more room for your things.
The photos that you see online are exactly how the property looks. The property is well maintained and kept up. I know that some of the reviews said that the pool was dirty (it is just some leaves), you are in a 3rd world country and it didn't bother us one bit. The resort is right on the beach!!

The food is really good, especially the fish and nachos. The breakfast buffet had all sorts of options like cereal, fruit and rice and beans. You could also order eggs/omelette, bacon, etc. from the kitchen. There are a few restaurants/bars in the town of Potrero but I would have to say that the best food was a Bahia.

The location of Bahia is great because it is a short cab ride to Flamingo or a 30 min. cab ride to Tamarindo where a lot of the night life is. The front desk was so helpful in organizing cabs and finding day trips for the guests to go on. There was a fun river ride for the kids where they could see monkeys and alligators. You could take a catamaran where you could go fishing or snorkeling. Some of our guests rented paddle boards and paddle boarded in the ocean. We took a group of 40 people zip-lining and we had organized it before we arrived and Bahia helped us call to confirm everything and to add a few more people to the trip.
The swim up pool bar was a must have for us when searching for the perfect wedding destination for our guests. This pool bar did not disappoint! We had several bartenders helping us at all times and they would help teach you spanish while ordering drinks. The poolside lawn chairs were all cushioned so they were great for taking naps or soaking up the sun.

The wedding details...
Roxana the wedding coordinator did a really great job. Upon our arrival we sat down and went over the contract (that included food, cake, liquor etc. that we had been putting together for about 6 months) and we put together an itinerary of how the actual wedding day would go. I had made table tents and a seating arrangement so we went over that. We are Christian and they found us a Christian Pastor to marry us! She walked us around the property and we decided were everything would take place. If you do decide to have your wedding at Bahia we would recommend coming a few days before so you can be more involved in the planning process.

The day of the wedding was so perfect! I was nervous that the flowers and the altar were not going to look like the pictures I had sent her, but everything looked perfect!! The ceremony went off without any problems and the resort had great places to take photos. The resort is tropical and lush so we were able to run off and get some great pictures in the foliage.

The reception area also looked amazing. They had strung up twinkle lights and colored paper lanterns across all the tables so you sat out under the stars and ate dinner. I truly cannot comment on the wedding dinner because I didn't eat any of it! We were to busy socializing and taking pictures to eat much, but the few bits that I had were good. The food at the resort is overall really good. The cake wasn't as good as I envisioned, because of the frosting. I wanted a traditional cake and I think in order to make the frosting stand up on the cake it had to be hardened. When we cut the cake and took a bit I was not impressed with the frosting. If you don't want a traditional cake then I would go with something more edible.
The DJ was fantastic! They hire the DJ for you and then you email the DJ a few weeks before with your wedding song requests. We love to dance so we played a lot of current "club" type music and all of our guests danced the entire time! No one went to bed, they just danced and danced. The DJ was having so much fun watching us that he played like an extra hour. The dancing was the best. After it was all over we ran off to our room and they had decorated the room with candles and rose petals so it was very romantic for our first night as a married couple.

Our destination wedding was everything we hoped it would be! We would highly recommend Bahia del Sol to anyone thinking about a destination wedding to Costa Rica.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank BrookeBarbara

Dear Brooke, once again congratulation for your wedding and for chose Bahia Del Sol for that special celebration, and thank you for this great review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Potrero
Hotel Tamarindo Diria
Hotel Tamarindo Diria
#11 of 24 in Tamarindo
Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Peninsula Papagayo
Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Penin...
#1 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo
4 mi away
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort

Been to Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!