“One of the best ever!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Puesta del Sol Catalina Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Playa Potrero
Puesta del Sol Catalina Beach Resort
Windsor, Canada
“One of the best ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2010

We have stayed here several times . Owners live on property and are diligent about cleanliness and very helpful in every way. We made many friends here and had muc h fun. There are many Canadians and American "snowbirds" in the Surfside community. We highly recommend this lovely little resort.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2010

I have finally found the little piece of paradise I'd been looking for the last 25 years! It's a small, five-room hotel directly on a beautiful tropical beach. The beach is about 2.5 miles long and great for walking. It sits on a natural bay, so the surf is gentle and ideal for swimming. It is never crowded, even during the last week in December which is the busiest week of the year. Often I was the only person on the beach when I took my daily walk.

The hotel is owned and managed by a wonderful couple from the Seattle area. Dane and Vickie went out of their way to insure that I was comfortable and had everything I needed, yet never intruded. The rooms are done Costa Rican tropical style with local tile in the bathrooms, and large mural paintings of local wildlife on the walls, creating an atmosphere of being somewhere exotic rather than just any room in any hotel anywhere in the world. All the rooms face the beach and thus offer views of the incredible sunsets every night. Four of the rooms have a sheltered sitting area with two rockers outside the sliding glass doors, and are literally five feet from the pool. The other shares a private balcony with the owners. Each room is clean is fresh and has a very comfortable bed with plenty of pillows, air conditioning, cable TV, a refrigerator, and wireless internet.. There is an outdoor kitchen for use by all the guests, with full stove and oven, sink, and large refrigerator, dishes and cooking utensils, and a bar and large table for sitting,...all protected by an open, slanted roof to protect from the sun. There are tables and umbrellas around the pool as well. The garden between the hotel and the beach is an oasis, yet the palms are young enough not to block any views. Dane and Vickie go out of their way to keep the place clean and neat. (I just wish I could get them to come take care of my house and garden in the US!) And, one never knows when they will knock on your door with cookies or banana bread or some other little treat. I was lucky enough to be there for both Thanksgiving and Christmas, where all the guests and some local ex-pats sat down together to dine on holiday feasts. I couldn't have felt more at home had I been with my own family.

The prices are very reasonable, and a real bargain if you stay for at least a month. I was lucky enough to stay here for almost 10 weeks, and wish I could have stayed for 10 months! I was the only guest for the first four weeks which was exactly the contemplative atmosphere I was seeking.. Even when all the rooms were booked during the busiest time of year (January/February). it never felt crowded and wasn't noisy. The large majority of the guests I met have returned year after year. Being a small hotel one got to know the other guests easily, but there was never a feeling of having to socialize if you wanted to be left alone. The rooms were very quiet and you couldn't hear anything from the other rooms adjacent to you.

There were several mom-and-pop grocery stores within walking distance to purchase your food and fresh bread. There was a large American style grocery store about 30 minutes drive from the hotel. One of the local restaurants had a farmer's market once a week. There are about six restaurants with bars within walking distance from the hotel. Again, with a car, there are countless places to choose from within a 30 minute drive.

Having a rental car may be essential for most visitors, but I decided not to bother as I was happy settling in rather than rushing around taking day trips or frequenting bars and restaurants. Flying to Liberia instead of San Jose puts you about an hour from the hotel. You can get a taxi from the airport, and it's possible to rent a car in the area for shorter periods of time if you feel you want one only on occasion. There are also local tourist groups who can arrange day trips and excursions to tourist sites around the country. Potrero Beach is one beach of many that follow one after the other. It's a brown sand beach, but if you have a car, there are many others nearby with various shades of sand, including one consisting of shells. There is also a snorkeling and diving shop, fishing boats to charter, yoga classes down the beach, a masseuse who comes to the hotel, a nearby gym, even a small casino, though I never did any of those things.

I've traveled throughout the world for most of my life and stayed in any number of wonderful hotels, and I count this hotel as among the most enjoyable experiences I have had. Again, I'm the type of person who likes a quiet beach with nothing more to do than walking, swimming and reading, and the occasional activity or meal out. If you like big resorts with lots of activities and restaurants, then this probably wouldn't be the place for you. If you like a wild nightlife scene, then this probably wouldn't be for you. If you want a fancy, five star setting with room service, then this isn't for you. But if you want something low-key, relaxing, quiet, clean, and welcoming, one a quiet beach but with just enough activity for those who like having something to do or someplace to visit, and all at a very reasonable price, then this is the place for you. Most of the guests return year after year. Now that I've discovered this little bit of paradise, I'm planning to return again, too!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Travelmagnet
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2009

Just got back from spending a week in CR, five days of which were at Puesta Del Sol Catalina Beach Resort in Playa Potero. My husband and I are not large resort, all-inclusive type travelers, and Puesta Del Sol turned out to be a wonderful choice for several reasons.

First of all, location. Playa Potrero itself is a great little community and beach area if you like off-the-beaten-path places. It's very accessible for great diving (Costa Rica diving with Harald and Barbara Kunkel), an exciting and adventurous zip-line experience (Canopy Tours down a dirt road called Monkey Trail), several great restaurants/bars right on the beach, and of course beautiful scenery and sound effects like Howler monkeys in the trees.

The owner and host, Dane Schaffer, was great company and offered us such good advice on things to do and see while we were there. As others have said in their reviews, he made us feel right at home and gave us great information such as tips about the area, and animals and plants we could look for.

The resort itself is just beautiful. There is gorgeous tile work and mosaics throughout, and the furnishings and even the construction of the building has an authentic Costa Rican feel. One of our favorite parts is the large open air rancho, or outdoor kitchen. It is fully furnished with everything you need to cook, which is a fun experience since it's outdoors. The downstairs rooms are literally about seven steps from the sparkling clean tiled pool, where you can enjoy a drink and watch the sunset over the Pacific.

Finally, if you're an animal lover and need a fix if you're missing pets at home, Dane and Vickie's dogs and cat are a welcome extra, although they are kept away from your area unless you seek them out.

Our thanks to our hosts for a wonderful time, and we hope to go back soon!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank divegirlFlorida
Victoria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2009

Vickie and Dane were the ultimate "go to" hosts in this beautiful guest house. They seem to read your mind and tailor their service to the level of guest needs and energy. If you were wanting some quiet time to read they were very unobtrusive but could switch to full out providers of information in an instant. The rooms were clean, quiet safe and private. The rancho was the ultimate meeting place for all guests and new best friends and it had all the equipment for any kind of meal preparation. All round professional and yet, homey facility. I am hoping for a same time next year experience.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank PattiCakes2009
San Jose
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2009

My girlfriend and I found this place on the internet, and thank God we did. It was just a piece of paradise. Dane and Vickie are great people and they wil make you feel like home as soon as you´re in the hotel! We do not have any words to describe our Holiday season on Potrero. We are from Costa Rica and have visited many big hotels and places around the country and nothing compares with Puesta del Sol. If you want to have a really good time with friends or family or your significant other, defenetly you have to visit Puesta del Sol! Dane and Vickie and the hotel makes want to stay in Potrero forever!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank CapAlbert
Halifax
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2008

We had an amazing stay at Puesta del Sol Catalina! Dane and Vicki run a fantastic mini resort that makes feel though you have arrived in your own paradise. Both super people with an immense pride in their business in hosting.
We spent our last two days in Costa Rica here and would highly recommend it to anyone who wants a great vacation resort without having to wear a collar (wristband) while vacationing.
It really doesn't get any better than this! Staying here was certainly a high light of our trip. We can't wait to return someday!

Kelly & Zane

Stayed April 2008
2 Thank KelGHalifax
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2008

If you plan on traveling to this part of Costa Rica there is really no other alternative when considering the location, price, and comfort. Dane and Vicky are amazing people who make you feel at home the minute you step foot on the property. The resort is very clean and well maintained. The rooms are spacious and clean. The resort is located within walking distance (along the beach) to playa flamingo and restaurants along the way. I hope I get an opportunity to go back..I will definitely stay here again!

• Liked — Great location, clean, and affordable in an expensive part of the country.
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank vedubbin
#1 of 12 in Playa Potrero
Hotel Isolina Beach
Hotel Isolina Beach
#3 of 6 in Playa Potrero

Been to Puesta del Sol Catalina Beach Resort? Share your experiences!