“Paradise on or off a board”

Padang Padang Surf Camp
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I hesitate to write this, because I don't want the camp to be overcrowded next time I come -- and there will be a next time.

The instructors are amazing and will really help you progress, the food is fantastic, the staff incredibly friendly, and the villa itself is clean, inviting and the most relaxing place I've found on the island. Thanks for a perfect week that flew by much too quickly!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Andrew S

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Thanks guys for an awesome couple of weeks. Especially big thanks to Tino and Monot who helped me progress a lot, you guys rock! please pass on my thanks. I hope to be back in September! Great location, the pool was great after the surf, surf guides were excellent, we scored waves every day, food was superb, all the staff and service was excellent. Jonathan

1  Thank Jonathan P
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Having already stayed in the area with another surf camp, we came here hoping for better quality accommodation, surf tuition and overall experience. This place exceeded our expectations and is easily better. We had an amazing two weeks which is why we have booked to go back. We were very well looked after both in and out of the water; the customer service here is excellent. Andrew and Ina (the owners) made us feel very welcome; they were friendly and very helpful and so are all the staff.

Location. The camp is about 5minutes walk to the restaurants in Padang Padang that are all good. It’s a short taxi drive to uluwatu which is a great place have a beer and watch the surf.

Accommodation. We stayed in the superior air con room and it was really nice and clean. It was cleaned every day, fresh towels were supplied when needed, the shower was hot and the air-con cold. The camp itself has is really chilled out atmosphere and the pool and gardens are beautiful. There are plenty of places to chill, there are lots of hammocks and seats all around the pool area and everything is really clean.

Food. The food here is really good, easily as good as the local restaurants, and there was always plenty. Lunch was always really good, fresh and tasty. When surfing early there was bread, bananas, jams, coffee, and tea etc available to fuel your surf session. And when we got back from our surf we would then have breakfast which was also really good.

Surfing. I had some amazing surfs, the knowledge of Andrew and the surf instructors is phenomenal. In total I was taken to 8 different surf spots. Every day the surf spot would be carefully selected with consideration to conditions and your ability. I never felt out of depth or unsafe, the instructors were very helpful and Andrew was also very helpful. Their experience means that you will catch heaps of waves. They know exactly where to be in the sea and will call you over and advise you on what waves to catch etc. I've been to surf camps before where the surf instructors would take the best waves but it is not the case here. They are very professional and understand that customer comes first. The instructor to surfer ratio was the best I’ve seen in a surf camp. After sessions Andrew would do video analysis which I found really beneficial.

I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking to stay in Bali. Can’t fault this place at all.

Thank you Andrew and Ina, see you again soon.

And a big thanks to Monot, top surf instructor!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kyle1000
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Very pleased with my choice of surf camp in Bali- there is really only one option: Padang-Padang surf camp was amazing!

Really comfortable rooms, great vibe with amazing people and a good team atmosphere! Lovely pool and plenty of hammocks and sunloungers around the amazing green grounds for relaxing after surf sessions. The instructors were great as well, always taking us at the best times (although lots of 5am starts my week due to the tide) and to the best places. We would sometimes see other surf camps turn up late and at less appropriate surf times, and we were obviously having more fun. So thanks guys for getting us the best waves possible!

The breakfast(s) were amazing, great selection of options and can have as much as you like with fresh juice that beat anything I had elsewhere in Bali. Really great lunches too with some of the best indonesian food I've had. Ina made sure we always had a good deal or idea for food in the evenings too. They were fairly booked up when I was there - only initially fitting me in for 4 nights as I booked very late, but I managed to stay 6 nights in the end (sharing with a friend) and had an amazing time. I was quoted some cheaper prices for some other camps but this one is absolutely worth it. Free photos and reviews included.

Only downside was the foam board I used for the first couple of days - Seriously painful friction burns on my thighs which are still only just healing, despite going and buying long board shorts after the first day. I would really recomend anyone who thinks they might be on a foam board, even just to start with, to have long board shorts or even leggings to surf in. Might not look as cool as a bikini but will save you from pain and scarring! They do have a great selection of other boards to progress onto.

2  Thank Anathema000
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This accommodation and/or surf camp is absolutely fantastic. The rooms are perfect, clean, great layout, big pool, in a calm and relaxed area. Right next to the all the stores and restaurants, you never need to walk more than 5-10 mins, and thats even to the beach (Padang Padang beach)!

Food is always spectacular, never-ending, healthy and organic. Instructors are just great, perfect for beginners and the experts. The organise it with different instructors, areas, times, and groups, to make sure your level matches their expertise.

Stayed for around 14 days, and this place makes for a family-environment with group breakfasts, lunches, and even dinners as the visitors always seem to dine together as relationships are built easily and quickly. Perfect for solo travellers, and of course of partners and groups.

Can't wait to come back next year. Big shout out to Ina, Kristo, Monot, & Koyok.

2  Thank Julian S
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This was my second visit.. once again an amazing time.

Thank you to Ina and Andrew for superb hospitality and for creating a piece of paradise in padang padang.

To Andrew for his lessons and surf reviews and to all the instructors for their support, advice and tips while at the beach and in the water.

I feel I've learnt so much more than i thought i could and am becoming a more confident surf. The atmosphere at the camp is really chilled and definitely due to the work the owners put in, making everyone feel at home, which in turn has resulted in some great friendships being made.

I like that the camp politely ask guests to be quiet in the night, which everyone respected.
there are various bars, restaurants and events in the area open all hours, meaning that if you want to stay up late you have plenty of places to do so away from the camp and those wanting an early night ready for the sunrise starts can do so undisturbed.

Totally love this place, I am already planning my return trip..

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank BG76_13
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This was my third time at the surf camp and the experience was once again spot on, in all respects.

It was 2 years since my last visit but the camp and the facilities were looking as great as ever which speaks to a really high level of maintenance.

The surf guides were as always absolute legends in getting us around to the various breaks, getting us waves and looking after us if conditions were a little difficult. The guys always have a smile on their face and their enthusiasm for surfing is quite infectious.

The Friday night camp bbq seems to be a new addition and a great idea in my view. Apart from that I really like the structure of 2x organised surf trips per day with the rest of the time spent chilling in hammocks by the pool or exploring the area. For dinner people tend to wander off in small groups to local restaurants.

I would continue to recommend this place very highly to my friends, in particular to those travelling solo (as I was) due to the social nature of the camp. I am going to try and make it out once a year from now on. A lot of the guests are repeat customers which says a lot about how satisfied people are with the experience at the camp.

Personally I would recommend paying a little extra and going for one of the deluxe rooms on the upper floors which have a nice view and a lounge area with hammock.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Dan M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pecatu
Suarga Padang Padang
#12 of 62 in Jimbaran
Wave House - Surf Camp
Wave House - Surf Camp
#2 of 312 in Canggu

Been to Padang Padang Surf Camp? Share your experiences!